Follow

X-Men

Team » X-Men appears in 13416 issues.

The X-Men are a superhero team of mutants founded by Professor Charles Xavier. They are dedicated to helping fellow mutants and sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them.

So what are the O5 going to do?

Avatar image for death_certificate
    Death Certificate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Death Certificate

I still don't have a clue of what these little kids are going to do, that can actually help the current teams.

jhole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By jhole

Considering [SPOILERS] they were brought to the future by beast to try and "talk some sense" into scott; I'd love if once they were there and caught up on the state of the mutants since HoM, they actually agreed and sympathised with Scott having to make the hard choices. I think it would throw a complete spanner in the works and screw up beasts time meddling plan. Seriously, he should know, don't screw with the space-time continuum.

Avatar image for phoenixofthetides
    PhoenixoftheTides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By PhoenixoftheTides

@jhole said:

Considering [SPOILERS] they were brought to the future by beast to try and "talk some sense" into scott; I'd love if once they were there and caught up on the state of the mutants since HoM, they actually agreed and sympathised with Scott having to make the hard choices. I think it would throw a complete spanner in the works and screw up beasts time meddling plan. Seriously, he should know, don't screw with the space-time continuum.

I doubt that would happen, just because it seems like Cyclops is getting the villain treatment, but if it does, I may start buying X-Men comics again. It would be even better if one of the O5 asked why didn't anyone else try to make the hard but necessary choices to share the responsibility, so the "heroes" can try to justify how they avoided making decisions for the mere pleasure of having the moral high ground.

Beast looks pretty bad at this point, in terms of how he must be perceived by other characters. So, he can't convince one of his closest friends to change their views, so now he calls in kids with less maturity (and a past version of himself included) from another timeline to do the job for him? That never turns out well (last time I checked, Kang the Conqueror went the villain route after trying similar things) and as a scientist, Beast should know better.

Rickbarry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Rickbarry

They're going to annoy me to no end.

jhole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By jhole

@PhoenixoftheTides said:

@jhole said:

I doubt that would happen, just because it seems like Cyclops is getting the villain treatment, but if it does, I may start buying X-Men comics again. It would be even better if one of the O5 asked why didn't anyone else try to make the hard but necessary choices to share the responsibility, so the "heroes" can try to justify how they avoided making decisions for the mere pleasure of having the moral high ground.

Beast looks pretty bad at this point, in terms of how he must be perceived by other characters. So, he can't convince one of his closest friends to change their views, so now he calls in kids with less maturity (and a past version of himself included) from another timeline to do the job for him? That never turns out well (last time I checked, Kang the Conqueror went the villain route after trying similar things) and as a scientist, Beast should know better.

Oh yeah, don't get me wrong, I don't expect this to happen. I would however love if it did for exactly the reasons you stated.

Beast's character has gone downhill since he walked off Utopia. I'd like to see some fallout on Beast for doing something so dangerous (and potentially universe destroying) from the rest of the X-men and Avengers. If they just brush this off as "ok yeah maybe his plan could work, lets give it a go" then that's just bull**** and bad writing. At least the phoenix 5 were under the influence of the phoenix when they made their decisions, what's Beast's excuse?

AgeofHurricane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#6  Edited By AgeofHurricane

They're all going to get shot in the head except for Jean, after 20 or so issues.

John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By John Valentine

@jhole said:

@PhoenixoftheTides said:

@jhole said:

Oh yeah, don't get me wrong, I don't expect this to happen. I would however love if it did for exactly the reasons you stated.

Beast's character has gone downhill since he walked off Utopia. I'd like to see some fallout on Beast for doing something so dangerous (and potentially universe destroying) from the rest of the X-men and Avengers. If they just brush this off as "ok yeah maybe his plan could work, lets give it a go" then that's just bull**** and bad writing. At least the phoenix 5 were under the influence of the phoenix when they made their decisions, what's Beast's excuse?

Beast is high on Kick all of the time. Cannon.

No Caption Provided
    XsPectre28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By XsPectre28

only the future can be changed one thing that marvel has stuck with is any tampering with the past will only create alternate realities the main (616) timeline will be untouched so bring the original team to the present will not disrupt the present it will when the original 5 go back cause them to grow up in an alternate reality & no effects ( SAVE MAYBE JEAN STAYING IN THE PRESENT) will happen towards the 616 reality!!!!!!

Avatar image for the_goddess_of_chaos
    The_Goddess_of_Chaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The_Goddess_of_Chaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

GonnaRain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By GonnaRain

Yay, what we needed... ANOTHER Beast.

@Rickbarry said:

They're going to annoy me to no end.

^ And this.

Avatar image for death_certificate
    Death Certificate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@The_Goddess_of_Chaos said:

Jebus Thrist logan

The_Goddess_of_Chaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@PhoenixoftheTides: in anxm 2 beast warns the O5 that going with him in the future will make there innocence lost

The_Goddess_of_Chaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

marvel trades up the P5 for the O5 :-p
    Avatar image for deactivated-5791595859013
    deactivated-5791595859013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Young Scott - Pass out cold after being surrounded by more than one hot girl and cannot handle it

Young Bobby - Laugh at Young Scott then try to mack on said girls

Young Warren - See Young Bobby

Young Hank - Secludes himself into a lab to determine how everyone in the Marvel U seems to have had sharp reductions in their IQ

Young Jean - Goes to therapy after finding out her massively screwed up future and family tree

Avatar image for raggedscarecrow
    RaggedScarecrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By RaggedScarecrow

Stand around awkwardly threatening the time-space continum before being teleported back to their normal time and mind-wiped by Professor X.

chasereis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By chasereis

First Answer: Hopefully alter the larger host of bad storylines since 1992...

All jokes aside they really need to take this opportunity to avoid the Star Trek conundrum of irreconcilable continuity. Fans that shell out every month crave this and marvel does not cater to it. Personally I've read more "B" rank X-Men stories since the mid nineties then I ever thought possible.

Hopefully it leads to a "Flashpoint" type change in the X-Men universe. And for the record if Professor X doesn't read their minds and then agree to change history himself then he deserved to be killed by his own creation. Honestly tired of Marvel hyping then dropping me, Im hoping for big things this go round they got the tools to do it, hopefully they got the stones to actually act.

tomchu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By tomchu

Wait around until the New-616 erases them from existence.

dangallant984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#19  Edited By dangallant984

@Death Certificate said:

I still don't have a clue of what these little kids are going to do, that can actually help the current teams.

eh.. be the X-men?

sorry, while Cyclops is being a "revolutionary", while Wolverine is being an Avenger, and while everyone else is being a teacher and/or on a revenge squad, they will be the X-men.

just guessing..

xmentas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#20  Edited By xmentas

I wish this was more of a mini-series...I just don't see what the originals are going to do being in the future...And how will it work? will we call O5 clops Cyclops II? If they don't return to their time it doesn't really seem to make sense...

DarkDay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By DarkDay

@dangallant984 said:

@Death Certificate said:

eh.. be the X-men?

sorry, while Cyclops is being a "revolutionary", while Wolverine is being an Avenger, and while everyone else is being a teacher and/or on a revenge squad, they will be the X-men.

just guessing..

As bad as it sounds. And even as I'm murdering my inner X-Fanboy. You sir, are right. XD

I'd also point out that revolutionary Cyke still makes no sense to me...is this just a really forced character change that I've missed? Because it seemed to come out of nowhere.

Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 79

#22  Edited By Rabbitearsblog

@dangallant984 said:

@Death Certificate said:

eh.. be the X-men?

just guessing..

I agree with this. Everyone seems to be doing other things at the moment, so I guess the teenage original 5 will have to be the main X-Men at the moment. If Marvel wanted younger superheroes in the X-Men universe, they should have used the New X-Men, since they barely get any panel time as it is.

dangallant984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By dangallant984

@DarkDay: I'd argue that his character has evolved more, given that he's been through more, than any other X-men character. It's been a long time coming, and I doubt we're anywhere near the end.

@Rabbitearsblog: I'm actually pretty down to see a mix of the two, if they can pull it off.

DarkDay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By DarkDay

@dangallant984 said:

@DarkDay: I'd argue that his character has evolved more, given that he's been through more, than any other X-men character. It's been a long time coming, and I doubt we're anywhere near the end.

@Rabbitearsblog: I'm actually pretty down to see a mix of the two, if they can pull it off.

Well I'm not talking about his character evolution as such, because I love it actually. I think one of my favorite recent X-issues was actually :

No Caption Provided

But the thing is, the Cyke from this issue was pretty much exactly where I saw Cyclops' view of mutant-human relations after quite a bit of development and it was a view I dug especially the part about The Avengers after things calm down. However it seems to me like they just suddenly made him much more militant out of nowhere and he wasn't even that way during AvX which is saying something honestly with the way I feel about that whole box of shenanigans.

dangallant984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By dangallant984

@DarkDay: man, this really was a high point for this series; really wish we'd seen more of this team before shit got all fucky. But even here Cyclops has taken on the whole "they need to fear us to respect us" thing. But here he still has the leverage of being a political power. A nation without a country will very often seem more militant.

That said, you make a good point in that they had this whole series to develop that theme, and probably didn't do enough to do so, considering you aren't the only one to have felt this way.

DarkDay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By DarkDay

@dangallant984 said:

@DarkDay: man, this really was a high point for this series; really wish we'd seen more of this team before shit got all fucky. But even here Cyclops has taken on the whole "they need to fear us to respect us" thing. But here he still has the leverage of being a political power. A nation without a country will very often seem more militant.

That said, you make a good point in that they had this whole series to develop that theme, and probably didn't do enough to do so, considering you aren't the only one to have felt this way.

I think they were trying to push a more militant attitude after AvX (the aforementioned didn't really do much to establish it, quite the opposite in my opinion), but still it comes off as forced, especially with all that Cyclops has done for mutants and humans before and even during the event. If he resented the Avengers that would be fine, if he resented the US government, also fine, but he's roaming the world picking fights with random governments over individual mutants when we already know that there are hundreds of different ways that Cyke and his team could have gotten to them without any direct confrontations. More so, I think the response from the other side of the X-aisle as it were is also more than a little forced too. I think the idea was for the Schism to get more intense and perhaps violent, but they've done a horrid job of selling it or the character motivations attached.

dangallant984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By dangallant984

@DarkDay: especially given that they put out 20 issues, in the first year, of both of the core titles, without either of them really amounting to much outside of AvsX widening the Schism. Agreed. Ham fisted and of not enough consequence.

DarkDay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By DarkDay

@dangallant984 said:

@DarkDay: especially given that they put out 20 issues, in the first year, of both of the core titles, without either of them really amounting to much outside of AvsX widening the Schism. Agreed. Ham fisted and of not enough consequence.

Exactly how I see it.

Avatar image for thetimestreamer
    theTimeStreamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#29  Edited By theTimeStreamer

the whole premise of the story is stupid. get scott from the past to talk some sense to current scott..... its so stupid!!! instead of having 1 loose cannon now you have 2, both leading teams of mutants. forget how bendis is depicting emma. look at beast. he's an idiot.

Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Rabbitearsblog

@dangallant984 said:

I agree, the current events is just making the X-men even more divided. I wonder what Marvel is really planning to do with the X-Men in the future?

DarkDay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By DarkDay

@Rabbitearsblog: I think they're going for a new Xavier / Magneto dynamic, but honestly I don't think they have the writing talent to make it work. Sure, they think they do, but yeah...or rather maybe that's unfair and I should say that they don't have the proper talent leading the way for something like that to not be force fed and circle peg in a square hole.

dangallant984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By dangallant984

@DarkDay: I do think all of the pieces are on the table for that, though. I'm assuming you're talking about Wolverine and Cyclops, right? These guys have so much more history than Magneto and Xavier, really, at least on panel. From day one these guys have been rivals working towards a common goal; really only their methods separate them, and in a weird way, it's sort of like they've come full circle into each others way of seeing things.

I think this is probably the most interested in Cyclops I've ever been.

DarkDay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By DarkDay

@dangallant984 said:

@DarkDay: I do think all of the pieces are on the table for that, though. I'm assuming you're talking about Wolverine and Cyclops, right? These guys have so much more history than Magneto and Xavier, really, at least on panel. From day one these guys have been rivals working towards a common goal; really only their methods separate them, and in a weird way, it's sort of like they've come full circle into each others way of seeing things.

I think this is probably the most interested in Cyclops I've ever been.

Indeed. I agree with almost all of this, however I just feel that I'd enjoy it more if Cyke does indeed become the new Wolverine and Wolverine becomes the new Cyke, however I think Marvel is trying to shoehorn them into the Xavier/Magneto roles and that's were things go south in my opinion. Cyclops as shades of grey anti-hero that's working for the good of both mutants and humans to me that would be equating him with Wolvie, but I get the feeling they're trying for Mags which is villain territory and I don't think suits Scott's current story arch very logically. The same goes for Wolvie, him putting aside his personal demons, vendettas, past, and short comings to become a more well rounded and adjusted leader that values peace because he has seen the horrors of war is fine in my opinion. However, pretending that all the grey that has existed for him for much of his career is just plain silly and lazy writing in my book.

dangallant984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By dangallant984

@DarkDay: yeah, I guess I'm really hoping that this new dynamic between Wolverine's side (or, the X-men, we'll call them) and Cyclops' can stick -without having to shoe horn the characters into old roles. These new roles are much more interesting because they aren't so black and white. Cyclops isn't a villain, and he seems to genuinely agree with what Wolverine is doing, training and protecting young mutants, he just has another agenda. And because he knows how the world perceives him already, he's right -he is the right man for that job. That puts him at odds with Xavier's dream, which is what Wolverine is still fighting for, but like you said, no one's going to see the Wolverine as a saint either. Including himself, which might actually make him better suited for the job than Xavier was because he has to prove himself.

It could be so much more interesting than the old black and white dynamic because you'd actually have to think about it more, it almost feels like there should've always been two opposing X-men teams -it's certainly always been a theme. but, like you say, there's no knowing that it'll actually happen that way.

Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Rabbitearsblog

@dangallant984 said:

@DarkDay: yeah, I guess I'm really hoping that this new dynamic between Wolverine's side (or, the X-men, we'll call them) and Cyclops' can stick -without having to shoe horn the characters into old roles. These new roles are much more interesting because they aren't so black and white. Cyclops isn't a villain, and he seems to genuinely agree with what Wolverine is doing, training and protecting young mutants, he just has another agenda. And because he knows how the world perceives him already, he's right -he is the right man for that job. That puts him at odds with Xavier's dream, which is what Wolverine is still fighting for, but like you said, no one's going to see the Wolverine as a saint either. Including himself, which might actually make him better suited for the job than Xavier was because he has to prove himself.

It could be so much more interesting than the old black and white dynamic because you'd actually have to think about it more, it almost feels like there should've always been two opposing X-men teams -it's certainly always been a theme. but, like you say, there's no knowing that it'll actually happen that way.

I guess I don't mind the idea about having different teams for the X-Men or teams that believe in a different way of approaching Xavier's Dream, but to me, the whole idea about Cyclops and Wolverine fighting each other when mutant kind was on the brink of extinction didn't really sit well with me since it didn't make any sense to me logically. What I'm worried about is that now that Cyclops and Wolverine have separate teams, will they always be fighting each other every time they meet or will they actually try to work together for a common cause? Yeah, Wolverine and Cyclops have been fighting each other for years now, but I do actually want to see the X-Men teams at least try to work with each other on improving mutantkind.

antiwhipped

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By antiwhipped

@XsPectre28 said:

only the future can be changed one thing that marvel has stuck with is any tampering with the past will only create alternate realities the main (616) timeline will be untouched so bring the original team to the present will not disrupt the present it will when the original 5 go back cause them to grow up in an alternate reality & no effects ( SAVE MAYBE JEAN STAYING IN THE PRESENT) will happen towards the 616 reality!!!!!!

Exactly, all it did was create a "What if? The Orginal X-men dissapeared (forever or a short time) into an alternate timeline?" alternate reality. That's the new fad of how to bring people back to life. Killed someone? Bring them from AOA universe or wherever.

DarkDay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By DarkDay

@Rabbitearsblog said:

@dangallant984 said:

I guess I don't mind the idea about having different teams for the X-Men or teams that believe in a different way of approaching Xavier's Dream, but to me, the whole idea about Cyclops and Wolverine fighting each other when mutant kind was on the brink of extinction didn't really sit well with me since it didn't make any sense to me logically. What I'm worried about is that now that Cyclops and Wolverine have separate teams, will they always be fighting each other every time they meet or will they actually try to work together for a common cause? Yeah, Wolverine and Cyclops have been fighting each other for years now, but I do actually want to see the X-Men teams at least try to work with each other on improving mutantkind.

I agree with this. Though I'll admit I'll defend Schism in a few ways, because I actually like how Wolverine and Cyke split with the whole no hard feelings approach, but them coming to blows at all was a little silly to me. But you know it happens. Everything can't be resolved through discussion in comics or there would be nothing for the folks that love a good dose of action.

dangallant984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By dangallant984

@Rabbitearsblog said

I get the feeling that Cyclops will probably be giving Wolverine a wide birth for the foreseeable future, and Wolverine will probably be kept busy enough between running the school and being on the Avengers that they can justify him not just hunting Cyclops down. Likely they'll leave them as adversaries more in theory than in practice, so it can be a big deal when they finally actually face each other again.

Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Rabbitearsblog

@dangallant984 said:

@Rabbitearsblog said

I get the feeling that Cyclops will probably be giving Wolverine a wide birth for the foreseeable future, and Wolverine will probably be kept busy enough between running the school and being on the Avengers that they can justify him not just hunting Cyclops down. Likely they'll leave them as adversaries more in theory than in practice, so it can be a big deal when they finally actually face each other again.

That might be how it will turn out.

dangallant984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By dangallant984

@Rabbitearsblog: I'm actually really digging on the idea of there being two separate and ideologically opposed schools around at the same time. It reminds me of the New Mutants/Hellions thing from the 80's, but not so black and white, with both teams being run by actual X-men..

I wonder now if any of the students at the Jean Grey school will decide to transfer to Cyclops' school..

Eeshaan1685

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Eeshaan1685

@jhole said:

Sorry to bump this old-ass thread, but I have a feeling that this is EXACTLY what is gonna happen. Beast is gonna end up regretting his little time-travelling stunt, as when the O5 go back to their own time, things might be ALOT different for Charles' dream.

dangallant984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By dangallant984

@Avenger85: well, it has to back-fire in some way, or why wouldn't characters do it all the time?

Eeshaan1685

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Eeshaan1685

@dangallant984: Yeah it's the HOW, and HOW BAD it will backfire for Beast that I'm interested in.

There's no way that this is gonna end without any negative effects for the blue ogre.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.