So did anyone pick up X-men: Magneto testament?

#1 Posted by Pania (1759 posts) - - Show Bio

What did you think?

#2 Posted by Paragon (7293 posts) - - Show Bio

I considered it, but my current financial situation made me wait until next week. I really want to pick it up though, since it's set in a part of history that both interests and horrifies me.

#3 Edited by Pania (1759 posts) - - Show Bio

Pak has taken a historically realistic approach, so you should enjoy it (if one can be said to enjoy that period of history).

And it is very well written, very intense.

#4 Posted by Mr. Smith (109 posts) - - Show Bio

so did this just come out this week??

#5 Posted by Pania (1759 posts) - - Show Bio

Yep, came out today.

#6 Posted by John Valentine (16307 posts) - - Show Bio

I thought that it was a mediocre issue.

#7 Posted by Pania (1759 posts) - - Show Bio

Really? May I ask why?

#8 Posted by John Valentine (16307 posts) - - Show Bio
Pania said:
"Really? May I ask why?"

It was too heavy for my liking, but that is just me. However, I thought that it was a well written issue and the history with which it dealt with was addressed in an aprropriate fashion. The art was not to my favour either.
#9 Posted by Pania (1759 posts) - - Show Bio

O.K., that's cool.

I know a lot of people are having a hard time with the art. For me, for the most part, I'm o.k. with it. I just think they need to differentiate Max and Magda. They look like twins.

#10 Posted by Darkchild (40624 posts) - - Show Bio

I really enjooyethe issue. The art to me was awesome depicting what was needed with emotion. I enjoyed the comic in everyway an finally we know his name.

#11 Posted by Darkchild (40624 posts) - - Show Bio

Also enjoyed Civil War:House of M

#12 Posted by Slinger (7640 posts) - - Show Bio

I liked it a lot, it was a very easy read for me. I liked how the javelin throw was left up to the reader to decide whether or not it was a manifestation of his mutant power. It was very humanizing for Magneto and helped me to be able to relate with him a lot better. I can't wait for the next issue. I also liked the House of M Civil War, I thought it was a fair depiction of Mags, a lot truer than Uncanny #500.

#13 Edited by John Valentine (16307 posts) - - Show Bio
Pania said:
"O.K., that's cool.

I know a lot of people are having a hard time with the art. For me, for the most part, I'm o.k. with it. I just think they need to differentiate Max and Magda. They look like twins."
Well art isn't that great in the X-universe at the momment, however after a re-read I'd give the issue a 7.5/10.
#14 Posted by Pania (1759 posts) - - Show Bio

Well now that folks have had their say, I'll jump in.

Obviously as a fangirl of the character I'm biased, but I loved it! This is exactly the story I have been waiting for for years. This is the review I put up on my site:

"After picking up my comics at lunchtime, I had to step away for a few hours to allow my unbridled fangirl *squee* to die down.

As a history major and a fan of this character, the idea of a comic that took a historically realistic approach to Magneto's childhood has been incredibly tantalizing. It's actually been rather difficult keeping my excitement in check in order not to build up unrealistic expectations. But I am pleased to say that Magneto Testament fulfills them all.

This is very much a story of a young boy in the middle of politically turbulent times, only bits and pieces of the entirety of what is happening filtering through his childhood perceptions until they smash through him utterly. The characterizations are good. These are not stalwart heroes facing a behemouth, they are imperfect good people struggling to find a way in a world changing too rapidly, too radically, for them. (And Mr. Pak does remember that Magneto had an older sister. Props!) The dialog is solid.

The story telling is interesting. As a solitary child (and by his own accounts Magneto was) much of the story is told in the visual. This is part of what creates the childhood POV of the story (in fact it rather reminds me of the opening chapter of "Portait of the Artist As a Young Man" in how much it relied on the visual to create that feeling), but it sometimes it makes the pacing feel a tad uneven.

But that was something I had to go looking for. I had to make myself look for something wrong, and that was all I found. This is a very well-told emotional rollercoaster that creates a satisfying, if extremely unpleasant, climax in the final pages.

This was great stuff! Well done, sirs! Well done!"

#15 Posted by cracks (6781 posts) - - Show Bio

I did and I like it. I was hoping for Mr. Sinister to appear, though.       %Pr

#16 Posted by cracks (6781 posts) - - Show Bio

I did and I like it. I was hoping for Mr. Sinister to appear, though.       %Pr

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.