Should X-Ladies have a stronger purpose in X-Men comics

#1 Edited by time (5771 posts) - - Show Bio

Over the last 10 years, X-Men comics have mainly been about Cyclops and Wolverine. The School and Utopia has been base on what they wanted for the X-Men. Leadership cames down to them two.

Should X-ladies have a stronger purpose in the X-Men team and should any of X-ladies have there own series? and if so who?

Have you been unhappy with the treatment done to any of the X-ladies ?.

#2 Posted by Pwok21 (2464 posts) - - Show Bio

inb4 Storm fanboys say Storm.

#3 Edited by time (5771 posts) - - Show Bio

I have to agree Storm has been treated very poorly by the X-Men writers. I would like her to be leader of X-Men now and I would like her to have her own series too.

#4 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (6484 posts) - - Show Bio

I agree that the X-Ladies should get more focus and more stories focused on them. It would be great if there was a miniseries where the X-Ladies would form a group and fight for mutantkind. The members I would like to see in this group are:

Storm (Leader)

Jean Grey (Co-leader)

Psylocke

Kitty Pryde

Domino

Rogue

#5 Posted by time (5771 posts) - - Show Bio

@Rabbitearsblog said:

I agree that the X-Ladies should get more focus and more stories focused on them. It would be great if there was a miniseries where the X-Ladies would form a group and fight for mutantkind. The members I would like to see in this group are:

Storm (Leader)

Jean Grey (Co-leader)

Psylocke

Kitty Pryde

Domino

Rogue

Love that idea, I would throw Frenzy, X-23 and Jubilee in to it too.

I think there should be more solo titles dedicated to the X-Ladies. Just look at the new 52, they really do care about there ladies.

I'm not sure why the X-Ladies were treated so badly, I mean there so much potential there.

#6 Edited by Dernman (16840 posts) - - Show Bio

I hate all female team books. It seems like it always becomes about a female team instead of a team that is all female.  Which is usually the writers fault.
 
 
I know people will disagree with me but I think they lost a great chance for Storm to come out to the front when she was married to BP. She could have started a school in Wakanda for mutants and other powered kids. That would have been better for making the marriage work and giving had her own thing so she doesn't fall into BPs shadow.

#7 Edited by Rabbitearsblog (6484 posts) - - Show Bio

@Dernman said:

I hate all female team books. It seems like it always becomes about a female team instead of a team that is all female. Which is usually the writers fault.


I know people will disagree with me but I think they lost a great chance for Storm to come out to the front when she was married to BP. She could have started a school in Wakanda for mutants and other powered kids. That would have been better for making the marriage work and giving had her own thing so she doesn't fall into BPs shadow.

I definitely agree with this! I felt that the writers didn't really do much with Storm's marriage to Black Panther and she was just out of the books for a long time because of it. If the writers had actually shown more stories about Storm trying to rule Wakanda next to Black Panther, then she would have gotten more panel time while being a more active character over the years.

#8 Posted by cattlebattle (14072 posts) - - Show Bio

There has been tons of X-teams that had more females than males over the years......and was led by women also.

#9 Posted by evilvegeta74 (4672 posts) - - Show Bio

I believe the X-ladies have already taken a strong stand for things theybelieve in over the years. I mean Rogue for example went from an Xmen villain to leading a team as well as helping carry the Xmen Legacy title for example. Storm, I can't begin to describe the things she's done over the years. Kitty Pride, remember how she saved the Break World. The Jean Grey sacrifices, Racheal Grey, I can go on, really I could! Just because they haven't done what Cyclops has recently doesn't mean they wouldn't, I remember a time where Storm would have done the AVX thing before Cyke as well as any of those other X-ladies. And I haven't forgot Psylocke or Emma.

#10 Posted by Rickbarry (1922 posts) - - Show Bio

Logan is a woman in some folks eyes.

#11 Posted by evilvegeta74 (4672 posts) - - Show Bio

@Rickbarry: yeah she is!

#12 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (6484 posts) - - Show Bio

@evilvegeta74 said:

I believe the X-ladies have already taken a strong stand for things theybelieve in over the years. I mean Rogue for example went from an Xmen villain to leading a team as well as helping carry the Xmen Legacy title for example. Storm, I can't begin to describe the things she's done over the years. Kitty Pride, remember how she saved the Break World. The Jean Grey sacrifices, Racheal Grey, I can go on, really I could! Just because they haven't done what Cyclops has recently doesn't mean they wouldn't, I remember a time where Storm would have done the AVX thing before Cyke as well as any of those other X-ladies. And I haven't forgot Psylocke or Emma.

It was great in how Joss Whedon made Kitty and Emma the main characters in his run and I also loved what Chris Claremont did for Storm early on in his run as she led the X-Men before.

#13 Posted by God_Spawn (39160 posts) - - Show Bio

Due to reports Emma is supposed to have a huge role in X-Men and with Psylocke leading X-Force, Storm and Spiral being main parts on the team. Rogue is being a stand out in UA so some will be getting bigger roles supposedly.

But yeah, I agree, the ladies should get bigger roles.

Moderator
#14 Posted by papad1992 (7015 posts) - - Show Bio

@Rabbitearsblog said:

@Dernman said:

I hate all female team books. It seems like it always becomes about a female team instead of a team that is all female. Which is usually the writers fault.


I know people will disagree with me but I think they lost a great chance for Storm to come out to the front when she was married to BP. She could have started a school in Wakanda for mutants and other powered kids. That would have been better for making the marriage work and giving had her own thing so she doesn't fall into BPs shadow.

I definitely agree with this! I felt that the writers didn't really do much with Storm's marriage to Black Panther and she was just out of the books for a long time because of it. If the writers had actually shown more stories about Storm trying to rule Wakanda next to Black Panther, then she would have gotten more panel time while being a more active character over the years.

This and this! But it was a missed opportunity! That's what Marvel gets for forcing the marriage!!

#15 Posted by Omen14 (9 posts) - - Show Bio

I would like to see Emma Frost in a bigger role of leadership, I think her cold personality would make it more interesting than Cyclop's archetypal hero type leadership.

#16 Posted by McKlayn (1175 posts) - - Show Bio

If you look at the General History of X-men, dating as far back as the Debut of Storm, Wolverine, NightCrawler ect. The X-men have been at the forefront in pushing Women as powerful characters that can do just as much if not more then men. I hated Storm marring Black Panther because i thought she was "better" then him, Jean was possibly the most powerful Being in the whole Marvel Universe. Psylocke, Emma, Shadowcat, a long list of Characters that were getting pushed while other comics stayed focus on male lead characters. Do i think that possibly the X men stories have been focused on men (aka Cyclops & Wolverine) more recently, well it really couldn't be focused any less. Do i think its a bad thing, not really. I am all for Female Characters getting big roles, but i am confident that the X men ladies will continue to have that, they just have too many popular characters that are females to turn away from it, if you do a list of top idk 20 X men characters i would say well over half would be females. Hell Rogue basically had X men Legacy dedicated to her, Storm lead the "X-men" team, Kitty has been a bigger player in Wolverine & The X men then wolverine has, Hope lead her own team and has been a focus point along with The Scarlet Witch. So yea I think they are doing fine and will continue to do so, plus i don't mind seeing some other characters get spotlight. I wouldn't so much what gender the character is as much as just seeing some fresh faces in the fore front (Husk, Chamber, Frenzy, Cannonball, ect.)

@Rickbarry: And to your commit, i consider him the X-men's leading lady

#17 Posted by lorex (995 posts) - - Show Bio

X-Men have gotten away from their core with strong female characters in recient years partly because so much of the of the story was focused on the growing pissing match between Cyclops and Wolvering and also Storm who should have been the one that steped in and took up some of the leadership was sidetracked with a marriage to Black Panther and also by being on the Avengers. Rogue was off in Legacy finding herself, Psylock until Uncanny X-Force had become a background character, Jean was dead, Emma was far too dedicated to tean Cyclops and I don't think people(fans) would take Kitty serously as leader, with her only coming back from the dead reciently and being stuch in intangibe form.

#18 Posted by SC (14357 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes. One of the strongest themes in X-Men books is that you don't have to look like the typical hero to be a hero. If you don't know who the typical hero is then you just have to look into a mirror because... there is a greater than average chance you have a lot of the basic physical traits of the traditional typical hero. I am sorry Catalina, you crazy, one legged one eyed albino 87 year old lesbian living in Samoa I am not talking about you. Thankfully Catalina in recent decades the increase in awareness and knowledge means that money can be made by the idea that heroic traits aren't exclusively held by young looking, human looking, white looking males with great pecs and great jawlines. Yes yes those types of people can still be great heroes too, but X-Men prospered and prosper when their heroes deviate from the norm ironically by making heroes of the normal. Not just the normal but the different. With teams like Justice League and Avengers being male heavy, X-Men books would do well to aim for better gender balance, and even tip it slightly in favor of the females if they can organically without negating other important team characteristics. They should never make it all female though since that ruins the effect and message as well. Oh and hey it wouldn't hurt you know if aside from trying to use more X-females writers used them well and uniquely instead of say how Fraction used Emma Cheerleading Frost, Betsy As You Wish Braddock and ... okay he only really used two female characters but yeah.  
 
Chris Claremont regularly used Storm, Rogue and Kitty in his stories (among others) Morrison used Emma and Jean substantially, Whedon Kitty and Emma, and those three are often cited as popular X-Men writers. Oh and those writers used those characters well. Austen and Fraction used female characters but well... yeeeeah. Typically the overall health of a X-writers stories relies on them using established X-Characters well including its females of which a large portion of X-Characters are.     

Moderator
#19 Posted by Blood1991 (8115 posts) - - Show Bio

Female characters feel more like tokens in X-Books than equals these days, and yes Storm is my defining example "suck it if you don't like it". In the main X-Books we took Storm and shipped her to Wakanda, and took Rogue and put her in charge of a branch title. After Astonishing we got mute Kitty, and when Fraction took over we got Emma "Scotts side-kick and not partner" In Uncanny X-Men we had a mute, and GF Emma. Marvel seems to be trying to fix this, but the damage was done. The X-Woman stand under the X-Men when they used to stand side by side.

#20 Posted by John Valentine (16332 posts) - - Show Bio

Woah, Time's complaining again.

#21 Posted by x_29 (2375 posts) - - Show Bio

no.

#22 Posted by Rumble Man (11198 posts) - - Show Bio

Give them more people to kill (we need more badass because fanservice needs ratio to be effective)

Let guys wear aprons (we need sissies to make the others look macho)

fixed

#23 Posted by AgeofHurricane (7678 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd like to think Storm's got somewhat of a large(r) role Post-AvX. And sadly, i cannot say the same for Emma Frost.

LOL.

#24 Posted by sw04ca (25 posts) - - Show Bio

Storm definitely took a huge hit when she got token-married to the Black Panther, but Rogue is still going strong. Heck, Legacy was her book. Scott and Wolverine might be the top tier right now, but Rogue and Emma are there with Hank and Magneto in the next tier down.

#25 Edited by IllyanaRasputin (1175 posts) - - Show Bio

@god_spawn said:

Due to reports Emma is supposed to have a huge role in X-Men and with Psylocke leading X-Force, Storm and Spiral being main parts on the team. Rogue is being a stand out in UA so some will be getting bigger roles supposedly.

But yeah, I agree, the ladies should get bigger roles.

Where did you hear that Emma is supposed to have a huge role in the X-Men? I'm not complaining I would definitely like to see her out of Cyclops shadow, just wondering where you heard this info.

@sw04ca: Agreed, Rogue basically had Legacy all to herself for a long ass time. I mean she is an X-Lady isn't she? Or did I miss something. Psylocke also stood out a lot in Uncanny X-Force, I mean the whole Archangel thing and her was pretty much a main focus. And Storm has been leading the new X-men Series for the last couple of story arcs, and even though she's a minor character Pixie has been standing out a lot in the X-Men title.

I honestly don't see the point to this thread, sure Wolverine and Scott are the main focal point of the X-Men Titles, but someone has to be. That doesn't mean that X-Ladies aren't been written into these stories because a lot of them are main characters and are giving a lot of "air time" in the comics.

And I love the X-Ladies but I would probably not read a book with just female characters.

#26 Posted by God_Spawn (39160 posts) - - Show Bio

@IllyanaRasputin:

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=41573

And one more: "Lastly, a comment. Don't let Emma Frost be on the run or missing for too long. With the right writer, like Mr. Gillen, she's wickedly hilarious, and I enjoyed her growth into co-leader of the mutant race. "
Alonso: Emma isn't going anywhere. She has quite a big role to play in the X-Men side of the Marvel Universe.
Moderator
#27 Posted by IllyanaRasputin (1175 posts) - - Show Bio

@god_spawn: Woo! Sweet! I'm glad to hear this :)

#28 Posted by Brazen_Intellect (1157 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes, even when an X-girl is given a position of importance, they for the most part do not portray them doing very well.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.