Follow

X-Men

Team » X-Men appears in 13410 issues.

The X-Men are a superhero team of mutants founded by Professor Charles Xavier. They are dedicated to helping fellow mutants and sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them.

Should they make a live action X Men series?

• 52 results
    spiderpool94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By spiderpool94

I think X Men would work better as a live action series than a movie. That way there would be more time for character development and roster changes. What do you people think?

TheDude123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By TheDude123

They certainly should. The roster should be Colossus, Beast, Nightcrawler, Darwin, and Shadowcat. These character's abilities would not cost very much production-wise (you could give Darwin a limited set of adaptations that are simply prosthetics/suits and have Nightcrawlers "bamfing" be actual smoke instead of computer generated) and I like them all with the exception of Shadowcat.

John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By John Valentine

God no. Mutant X was the closest thing we had to that and it was terrible!

SoA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By SoA

@John Valentine: lol i was just about to say we had Mutant X

we had Mutant X , Heroes, and now Alphas . too much liscensing issues and not enough of a demographic is why we get made up characters like in the shows i mentioned , and in all honesty , if it comes out anything like the Walking Dead show (horrible, horrible , horrible, horrible , horrible) ill be happy knowing that there is no X-team show on the air.i rather no show than a poorly executed, chopped up ,butchered POS.

Avatar image for phoenixofthetides
    PhoenixoftheTides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By PhoenixoftheTides

No. Robust special effects would be very important to do the story and characters justice and the cost prevents this from happening. TBH I would be disappointed if they only used X-Men with physical mutants to save money since this would be boring.

chasereis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By chasereis

@PhoenixoftheTides: Well said.

Movies are the only (resource wise) means of crafting an X-men story...

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By HAWK2916

if they used the type of settings from lost and even the most recent star trek series or battlestar galactica they might be able to pull something off. It would be the only show of its kind on air and judging by the number of ticket sold for the movies it would probably do some good ratings. Of course you could do animated but it would have to be top notch like the movies

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#8  Edited By dernman
    @SoA said:

we had Mutant X , Heroes, and now Alphas . too much liscensing issues and not enough of a demographic is why we get made up characters like in the shows i mentioned , and in all honesty , if it comes out anything like the Walking Dead show (horrible, horrible , horrible, horrible , horrible) ill be happy knowing that there is no X-team show on the air.i rather no show than a poorly executed, chopped up ,butchered POS.

Don't forget the Generation X Pilot that was meant to be a TV series.

Blacharrt1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Blacharrt1

Generation X was a okay movie, i remember that.

But no they shouldn't make an x-men series unless someone like Whedon does it, you know someone who actually cares about the material and not just the marketing. It would be complete garbage if the series was just made to sell stuff. Or if they get the writers of the first season of Heroes to do the entire series they could do it right, and plan it out in the directions they want to go. Because after Season 1, Heroes completely started to come apart.

soundjam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By soundjam

I'd rather watch an x-men series featuring the original 5 than this Shield Initiative thing we're getting. Ideally, x-men would be a tv show instead of a movie, with all the teams and characters. But even with that, it would still only focus on the same handful of characters. And it would be canceled because there is no way it would ever generate enough buzz.

JonSmith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By JonSmith

If they could convince Hugh Jackman to come over as Wolverine (considering Wolverine's drop in, drop out, nomadic style, this could work) and convince Patrick Stewart to return to television as Prof X, sure, I'd watch it. If they also brought in some new talent to play the roles, and didn't cheap out on the special effects. Some of the things in the movies that really sold the mutant powers was how casually they were used, like Bobby Drake blowing on a coke to chill it. Don't treat the effects like effects to be shown only in special circumstances, and it'd work.

Avatar image for phoenixofthetides
    PhoenixoftheTides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@SoA said:

Why don't you like the "Walking Dead" show?

SoA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By SoA

@PhoenixoftheTides: i felt they deviated waaay too far from the path , small subtle changes are fine (name changes , hell they do not even have to be in atlanta ) but the only way for the show to convey emotion is someone crying their eyes out every episode,changing a characters personality to a bland stereotype , killing off crucial characters so crappy one off characters can live, making up characters not so we can see more zombie action but for them to outshine the main character , is just too much for me . i have seen one and a half seasons and im done ive heard it got "better" with the introduction to characters from the comic , but i feel for one character its a little too far in and i do not see them adapting right for such a (really) simple concept .

i have had fans of the show read the walking dead comic and they actually like it better than the show , one still watches since its a family thing at her house and she likes giving out spoilers , but eh what you gonna do? to me its a show that has zombies and has the same name as the comic it was a real let down from shane not getting shot in the neck onward.

if you are a fan of the show but never read the comic , read it. if you read the comic and show i do not understand . to me , this is the x-men origins: wolverine of shows .

moywar700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By moywar700

An X-Men live action is doable.I don't see why we can't have a x-films and a t.v show at the same time.If anything, the t.v show will make the films popular.

Super powers isn't a big problem.They're doable.Visual mutations and flight are the ones that cost a lot.Somebody like Mystquie couldn't be on there.Iceman's couldn't be there either unless he wears an ice suit.

moywar700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By moywar700

@SoA said:

@PhoenixoftheTides: i felt they deviated waaay too far from the path , small subtle changes are fine (name changes , hell they do not even have to be in atlanta ) but the only way for the show to convey emotion is someone crying their eyes out every episode,changing a characters personality to a bland stereotype , killing off crucial characters so crappy one off characters can live, making up characters not so we can see more zombie action but for them to outshine the main character , is just too much for me . i have seen one and a half seasons and im done ive heard it got "better" with the introduction to characters from the comic , but i feel for one character its a little too far in and i do not see them adapting right for such a (really) simple concept .

i have had fans of the show read the walking dead comic and they actually like it better than the show , one still watches since its a family thing at her house and she likes giving out spoilers , but eh what you gonna do? to me its a show that has zombies and has the same name as the comic it was a real let down from shane not getting shot in the neck onward.

if you are a fan of the show but never read the comic , read it. if you read the comic and show i do not understand . to me , this is the x-men origins: wolverine of shows .

At least the walking dead comic never had budget problems.In the t.v show,during season 2, the cast stayed in the farm the entire season because of budget problems.They even killed of certain characters to save money.

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By HAWK2916

I actually thought that they might do well with a new mutants series because unless you could get the actors like Jackman and others to get in on the tv series it might be hard for some people to accept. With a New Mutants thing you could still have guess appearances by the big guys

SoA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By SoA

@moywar700: something should have done to save on effects: make the show black and white . as far as gunshots and gore they could use anything since with a black and white project they didn't have to worry about blood not looking red enough ,etc plus it would have paid homage to the style of the comic

John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By John Valentine

@SoA:

I'm a big fan of the comics, but I do like the TV Show. Season 3's the best it's been so far.

Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 79

User Lists: 3

#19  Edited By Rabbitearsblog

I was about to say that they should make a live action X-Men TV series, but after mentioning about the budgeting problems it would have because of the special affects for the characters' powers, it would be too difficult to make an X-Men live action series.

WARLOCK2792

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By WARLOCK2792

@John Valentine said:

So I'm NOT the only person who remembers that abomination!

CF12793

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By CF12793

I think they could have done a Smallville-esque scenario and had the characters discovering their powers, meeting eachother for the first time, etc. but now that they've made First Class having a series like that would be purely pointless. I just don't know how a series based on the core group of X Men (And by that I mean Wolverine, Prof. X, Beast, Cyclops, Jean Grey, Gambit, Rogue....the list goes on) would work, seeing as how the cast of the films have done such a brilliant job with their roles. Anyone who would come in after would come under much scrutiny for replacing the actors. I dunno, a classic X Force TV show would be awesome. But it wouldn't be plausible.

poisonfleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#22  Edited By poisonfleur

@White Mage said:

@John Valentine said:

So I'm NOT the only person who remembers that abomination!

LMAOOO! 'abomination'. Anytime an x-film goes bad. I always remember it could be worse.

A Movie > TV Show

More Bang factor.

Avatar image for deactivated-5791595859013
    deactivated-5791595859013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There is no way you could get a budget that would cover real talent and the special effects budget, the show would be destined to suck in all likelihood. Even HBO would be hard pressed to cover the freight on this kind of series. So you are either stuck with real actors and no effects, or a bunch of talentless clowns and half a$$ effects.

X-Men or Avengers are not the IP to try to do a live action TV show with, no way to do it right on the small screen.

Rabidwolfdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Rabidwolfdog

I didn't give Mutant X a chance, I know it had a few watchers. Alpha's I quite enjoy, its a good mix off powers the power man, hacker, trick shot, ... its been a while since last time I saw it. Wasn't sure if the show would last but it was well done for a weekly show and not like Heroes were you had to watch every episode to get in.

As for X-Men being a show, Gen X was a failure. You'd have to get the mutants that arn't going to cost tons of CGI for a weekly show. Maybe turn the current X-Factor Investigation team into a show, but then you have X-Factor the American Idolish show that'll cause confusion.

dangallant984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By dangallant984

@Rabidwolfdog: I was just talking about what a good show X-factor investigations would make! I'd watch the shit out of that show!

John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By John Valentine

@dangallant984 said:

@Rabidwolfdog: I was just talking about what a good show X-factor investigations would make! I'd watch the shit out of that show!

Yes!

Hannah Simone as Monet.

No Caption Provided
    PCN24454

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Some of the better special effects like Beast's beast form wouldn't be done correctly.

Ultra_beleco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes please. And by HBO!

ChocolateFrogs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

If they did it right, it'd be awesome (well, duh). I'd totally watch it, until (if) it became super-terrible. I'm too much of a fan to ignore it.

I would think the SFX budget would be a little pricey though.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
    deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's main strength would be the amount of time it would have to develop the characters, given that it gets the proper treatment. The budget on the other hand. I think it could work though, given the proper budget.

Avatar image for suemorphplus209
    suemorphplus209

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Yes, they should.

Avatar image for deactivated-57e73b68b7ed7
    deactivated-57e73b68b7ed7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No. A television series would not have the budget to make the X-Men's powers look good.

zdub327

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By zdub327

I'd love another Animated Series of the X-Men!!! I think if they could create something that rivaled Avatar the Last Airbender's quality, the show would be a huge hit!

TristanHeron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rabidwolfdog: I would love an X-Factor Investigations show but I think it may be a bit too similar to Alphas, which was cancelled.

Avatar image for hocko1999_virus
    Hocko1999_VIRUS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Hocko1999_VIRUS

Make it like the MCU shows: be set in the same universe and centre around a group of mutants, but other than that have little to do with the films.

Tyger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@white_mage: of course, they had to completely retool the series concept when Fox sued for 'damaging' the X movie franchise. It actually WAS going to be a true X-Men series (remember, Marvel still had control over TV rights), but Fox didn't want competition, or confusion, on the relationship.

anjuwayo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would go crazy....!!! I would be so awesome watching the students battle it out with each other... just think of the teams or groups... imagine the battle between jean grey school and avengers academy... i realy hopethat if they do it, its not one of those from the beginning BS marvel use to pull... it should be like behind the seen they have been facing the mutant affairs and now its actually started affecting the live of lets say spider-man or she-hulk has to sue them or something...

Invain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maybe. Could work if they pick the right charecters to start in it.

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hope Bacon returns as Shaw for Hellfire. He was damn good. And the first one to say "We are the children of the atom."

He deserves the spot.

Invain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@adamtrmm: Does Bacon even do television? If so, Fox might offer him the role. From what I hear they seem to ask everyone to come back.

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@invain:

He actually does! The Following have like what, 2 seasons by now?

Avatar image for linsanel_doctor
    linsanel_Doctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

no

Imbroken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@adamtrmm: I hope so too. Kevin Bacon was awesome as Shaw.

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@imbroken:

Which can't be said about January Jones. lol poor girl, nobody liked her performance. Though I don't think she's a bad actress, I've seen her on Mad Men and she was actually ok. Well, for that season I've actually seen. She is maybe good at playing those emotionally distant, aloof "introverts", she absolutely doesn't fit to play somebody like Emma. Now that I think about that, I hove no fan-choice for who should really play her.

RaunJisto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If budget wouldn't be an issue then I'd be for it. The other thing is which characters they'd use? Would they choose a certain group of students? If so would it be the new mutants, new X-men, or the JGS students (ew)? If not students then which adult X-men would be chosen? Prof. X, Cyclops, Beast, Storm, and Wolverine seem to always be present in every show. From there though, there's also the question of Jean and/or Emma where Wolverine and the X-Men actually had Emma the whole time mostly in place of Jean (which I ended up liking). From there X-Men like Nightcrawler, Iceman, Angel, Colossus, Rogue, Gambit, and Jubilee being in or out could go either way.

PeterParkerJr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I say No.

Live action X-Men belong on the big screen.

Avatar image for deactivated-599f6ccbd15bb
    deactivated-599f6ccbd15bb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It could work.

Thunderscream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think if they were able to snag a few of the movie characters who'd be willing to do television (maybe Rogue, Iceman & Colossus) and set them up as instructors for the New Mutants Cypher, Mirage, Rictor & Piotr's little sis, Illyana and introduce Forge and Cecelia Reyes.

Illyana's unpredictable stepping discs have the potential to take the team to the outreaches of space, through time and other dimensions.

Avatar image for thesilentripper
    TheSilentRipper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@izzy0292 said:

No. A television series would not have the budget to make the X-Men's powers look good.

this is a good point but sad at the same time

Avatar image for deactivated-57e73b68b7ed7
    deactivated-57e73b68b7ed7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@izzy0292 said:

this is a good point but sad at the same time

There is going to be a series about the hellfire club coming out. We will be seeing Shaw and probably Emma Frost again. I doubt we will be seeing Shaw using his powers like he did in First Class, but he don't really need to.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.