Follow

X-Men

Team » X-Men appears in 13416 issues.

The X-Men are a superhero team of mutants founded by Professor Charles Xavier. They are dedicated to helping fellow mutants and sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them.

Should they get rid of Rachel's Tattoos?

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 64

Poll Should they get rid of Rachel's Tattoos? (35 votes)

Yes 29%
    No 71%

Since the Black Vortex is happening now. Would you want them to use this as an excuse to finally get rid of the horrible tattoos that have been making Rachel look lame for the past decade? They could just have her be changed by the vortex, and then when she changes back that Shi'ar brand stuff would have been purred from her skin remove the tattoos on her face and back as a side effect.

• 
    Avatar image for deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3
    deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Nah, she's the only tatty daddy they have.

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Those tats connect her to the most important story arc she's ever been in. So no not really....plus it gives her a uniquness about her to distinguish her as a bit more then "Jean Clone" that so many people label her with.

AwesomePerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

No

They are a part of her past

LordMordor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Get ride of the dumb spikes on her outfit...sure

get rid of the tats, no way. They connect her to one of the biggest aspects of her character and give her a unique visual trait that helps immediately distinguish the character.

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

No. The tats are unique and represent a profound story in her history

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

I wouldn't mind a redesign

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By adamTRMM

Facial tattoos are terrible, especially that line on her chin. But the Phoenix mark, while literally represents repression, looks damn awesome. Her crappy outfit btw is another issue in a need of serious discussion.

Rhino999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Rhino999

I am not really sure about connection between Rachel's tats and Black Vortex(that is a terrible name for power boosting mirror). As for the question : No . It is a part of her character and not just her design. It also stands as a marker for what would happen if X-men were to fail though I wouldnt mind seeing it go back to its original design or make it like she was in Excalibur : Make it appear only when she uses her powers

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, you might as well have Nightrawler not be blue anymore while you're at it.....

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@adamtrmm: I agree about the hound facial tattoos.

darthphoenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

She always had the power to remove those tats. she just didn't want them removed. She embraced her past and it her tats make her look more badass. the artists have lessened the tats though. there used to be lots of lines before. It really looked horrible. Thanks to Jim lee, the tats where turned into a design more than a vandalism or symbolism. he even copied her tats on zealot of wildcats and i think there's another female character who ripped off her facial tats.

UHypocrite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

IMO they should get rid of her, PERIOD.

Avatar image for phoenixofthetides
    PhoenixoftheTides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They should get rid of them. I've never liked facial tattoos, but to be fair, unlike the horrible tattoos people get IRL, hers have a character-building aspect to them.

But any excuse to get rid of them would be well taken IMO.

Avatar image for hopesummersforthefuture
    HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

no, end of discussion

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Teerack

@cattlebattle: Except the first decade and a half of her stories she didn't have the horrible face tats and Nightcrawler has always been the same so that comparison doesn't work.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#16 dernman  Online

I'd get rid of her.

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SodamYat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

yes

Rhino999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Might as well make her a brunette

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By cattlebattle

@teerack said:

@cattlebattle: Except the first decade and a half of her stories she didn't have the horrible face tats and Nightcrawler has always been the same so that comparison doesn't work.

She always had the scars, man. She just used telepathy to hide them from everybody. Also, she debuts in a very minor role in Days of Future Past in 1980, her scars and background as a Hound are revealed in 85.......now, I didn't get top marks in school or anything but I am pretty sure 5 years isn't a decade and a half :)

I compared the two because they both have aesthetic, physical deformities, but they don't let themselves be defined by it. They are flawed, and that flaw makes them more interesting, otherwise, they are just bland characters. Nightcrawler used to wear a image inducer to hide his real appearance, just like Rachel would hide hers, but in time, both characters learned to embrace their actual appearance and show their real selves.

The scars are an intrinsic part of her character. She used to be full of rage and hatred for humanity as they were the ones that gave her scars initially along with her Hound programming, it's just that no other writer has really been able to handle this detail. So, she should absolutely not lose her scars.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Teerack

@cattlebattle said:

@teerack said:

She always had the scars, man. She just used telepathy to hide them from everybody. Also, she debuts in a very minor role in Days of Future Past in 1980, her scars and background as a Hound are revealed in 85.......now, I didn't get top marks in school or anything but I am pretty sure 5 years isn't a decade and a half :)

I compared the two because they both have aesthetic, physical deformities, but they don't let themselves be defined by it. They are flawed, and that flaw makes them more interesting, otherwise, they are just bland characters. Nightcrawler used to wear a image inducer to hide his real appearance, just like Rachel would hide hers, but in time, both characters learned to embrace their actual appearance and show their real selves.

The scars are an intrinsic part of her character. She used to be full of rage and hatred for humanity as they were the ones that gave her scars initially along with her Hound programming, it's just that no other writer has really been able to handle this detail. So, she should absolutely not lose her scars.

She didn't get them until she went to space awhile after her family was killed. She was on earth in 616 for a long time before all of that back when the 200 was still stuck at the school, and then even in the years before M-Day when she was on the X-Men and looked normal.

ParaChomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Only if she becomes old.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By cattlebattle

@teerack said:

She didn't get them until she went to space awhile after her family was killed. She was on earth in 616 for a long time before all of that back when the 200 was still stuck at the school.

What are you talking about?? The tattoos on her face?? They have always been there. She first reveals them in issue 196...back in 1985.

In this image the "secret" she is talking about is her real appearance, with her scars and, er, bondage suit....she was hiding them from the X-Men through telepathy up until that point when her anger caused her to lose the grip on her facade.

No Caption Provided

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Teerack

@cattlebattle: I'm pretty sure she still hides the scares. She has three red stripes tattooed on each side of her jawline. Scars aren't that color and don't look anything like her scars.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@teerack said:

@cattlebattle: I'm pretty sure she still hides the scares. She has three red stripes tattooed on each side of her jawline. Scars aren't that color and don't look anything like her scars.

She doesn't hide them anymore. She has embraced them.

Different artists draw them differently, some artists have depicted them running down her neck, some artists have them glow when she uses her Phoenix powers etc. All in all, they are an important of her character and her past and they are indelible to what makes the character interesting....similar to Nightcralwer and his physical abnormalities.

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hawk2916 said:

I agree about the hound facial tattoos.

I have a deja vu, but:

No Caption Provided

this is my favorite Rachel. That Starjammers incarnation was also very nice and their involvement in the best cosmic stories Marvel had that period was also nice acknowledging X-characters contribution.

Avatar image for deactivated-097092725
    deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I'd rather she keep them. The story behind why she has them and what she's gone through is a huge part of the character, especially in overcoming her guilt and acceptance of not just herself but her existence.

Eeshaan1685

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

who cares ?

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@avenger85: shouldn't you be over at the avengers board. You hate the xmen so much yet you keep wandering over to the x-boards with snark.

@adamtrmm: Yea that was a pretty cool incarnation. I also identify most with that one.

darthphoenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@avenger85: shouldn't you be over at the avengers board. You hate the xmen so much yet you keep wandering over to the x-boards with snark.

I agree.

Eeshaan1685

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hawk2916 said:

@adamtrmm: Yea that was a pretty cool incarnation. I also identify most with that one.

No I love the X-Men from the bottom of my heart.

JCG79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Skip the "'s Tattoos" part. And the answer is "Yes".

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@avenger85: yea sure. You just hate the state they are in right? lol

Veitha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@adamtrmm said:

@hawk2916 said:

I agree about the hound facial tattoos.

I have a deja vu, but:

No Caption Provided

this is my favorite Rachel. That Starjammers incarnation was also very nice and their involvement in the best cosmic stories Marvel had that period was also nice acknowledging X-characters contribution.

I loved this version. And cosmic stories were so greeeaaat. She had the right amount of power(not too much like her mother, but enough to stay among cosmic characters) and she worked well in the Starjammers. I don't like the current version, post-Aaron.

Takeshi55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think she looks more cool and unique with the tatoos. I also like how they sorta faded with time.

Eeshaan1685

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hawk2916 said:

@avenger85: yea sure. You just hate the state they are in right? lol

No I love the state they are in. New York is a great state to live in.

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Eeshaan1685

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.