Follow

X-Men

Team » X-Men appears in 13410 issues.

The X-Men are a superhero team of mutants founded by Professor Charles Xavier. They are dedicated to helping fellow mutants and sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them.

Should there be a mandate...No more time travel?

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

Poll Should there be a mandate...No more time travel? (19 votes)

yes 79%
    no 21%

OK so here's something else that gets debated on different forums from time to time. In your ideal Xmen/Marvel U is time travel a problem?

One of the most iconic stories for Xmen was Days of Future Past in which the big feature was time travel. Since then there have been numerous stories in Marvel as well as characters that exist because of time travel past or present. While some characters are great and even some of the stories are decent, its reaching a point lately where this relied on heavily. Think of Bendis' recent run.... ANX while premise is based on time travel. In Uncanny there was time travel which most of Bendis stories involve. The big 50 year anniversary event was a time travel story. Morrison did it as well as others even Remender ( whom I consider an awesome storyteller) used time travel as a plot device. Even Age of Apocalypse was brought on by it. Even characters like Rachel Grey (whom I love) and Bishop even Cable would hardly exist if this wasn't an element. But still are those characters worth all the convolution that the reliance on time travel as a storytelling device causes?

Of course this is not just in Marvel or the Xmen. But just for the sake of this discussion... Do you think this is an overused plot device? Have they gone to the well a little too much when it comes to time travel? Sometimes it almost seems as if the writers are trying out a story to see how the fans respond and if its not favorable then "uuhhh it never happened because so and so traveled into the past". Is that really good storytelling or is it a lazy cop out. I won't say I hate all time travel stories but really it seems quite a bit that those stories creep up. This whole Secret Wars interruption feels like a result of these different timelines created by time travel and all these other elements.

So then the question going forward is... Should or Would you prefer it if time travel was left out of the xmen stories? Should Marvel mandate... no more time travel?

Your thoughts?

• 
    Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

BotA broke the system.

I've never felt strongly about Time travel one way or another, and really if you asked me before BotA I'd say that the 90's abused time travel more liberally and with less concern then the X-Men have since then. But then BotA happened.

Keep in mind that despite Hope Summer's and Cable hiding throughout time and space they never made it feel like the present didn't matter.

BotA though takes the elements of time travel using characters from the past, present and future and gave us a conflict between future factions which we learned nothing about, characters from the past who's deaths erase the present, and then a resolution which makes the characters in the present look like fools. On top of that we got Storms daughter from the future who did next to nothing, and the O5 are allowed to stick around despite being one slip on a wet floor from destroying any and everything in the known timeline....(which would've been a better story had they just killed Tyke and shown what the world would be like without Scott). It was just a bad story with so many plot holes that it's almost a parody of X-Men time travel stories and the fact that we still see the effects of it lingering leaves me exhausted by the idea of anyone traveling through time ever again.

nateb1211

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes, at least for the time being.

Eeshaan1685

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No More Mandates

darthphoenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for hopesummersforthefuture
    HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

no cause cable is based on time-travel

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Simply, yes. Though Marvel will apparently have to fire so many writers....

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Naw. Any concept can be enjoyable if the story is good.

Tazirai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Stopped? No. Less used. Yes. Time Travel is good when the concept of the story is WELL thought out. But the concepts put forth lately just are not.

McKlayn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

just like phoenix and new mutants, it should be stalled taken completely out of commission for a decade or so before its brought back.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.