Follow

X-Men

Team » X-Men appears in 13419 issues.

The X-Men are a superhero team of mutants founded by Professor Charles Xavier. They are dedicated to helping fellow mutants and sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them.

Should the X-Men have bases in other countries?

Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 79

User Lists: 3

Edited By Rabbitearsblog
    No Caption Provided

For many years, the X-Men’s goal was to not only fight various villains who threatened the world, but to also have humanity see them as their equals, therefore prevent the prejudice that human kind puts upon them. However, if Professor Xavier’s dream is to have mutants and humans live in peace and harmony together, shouldn’t there be other bases for the X-Men in other countries?

No Caption Provided

For the majority of the X-Men comics, the X-Men’s base is always located in the United States and while there is nothing wrong with that, we barely see any kind of base that resembles the X-Men’s base in the United States in other countries. It is true that the X-Men have tried to relate the issues of mutant hate towards other countries, like for example, in the earlier run of the “Ultimate X-Men” comics by Mark Millar, Professor Xavier and his students went on a World Tour promoting Professor Xavier’s book on improving mutant and human relationships, however, there was barely any talk about the X-Men having other bases in other countries.

No Caption Provided

There were some instances where the X-Men did sort of have a base in other countries and probably the two most recognizable bases they sort of had was the one in Australia and the team “Excalibur.” The team “Excalibur” had mutant members like Captain Britain and Meggan and they were a superhero team that had their base in Britain. The X-Men also briefly had a base in Australia when the world believed them to be dead.

So in this case, if Professor Xavier wanted to fulfill his dream of promoting peace between the mutant and human population, would it make more sense to have their bases in other countries? Racism and prejudice is a problem that is not only associated with the United States, but is also associated around the world and the X-Men stories need to show more problems that face the X-Men from a worldwide view. There were many cases where mutants also face discrimination in other countries, so even if the X-Men completed their goal of maintaining human and mutant relationships in the United States, there are still other countries that would still discriminate mutants and there needs to be other X-Men who also believe in Professor Xavier’s dreams, but are from other countries. Maybe Colossus could lead an X-Men team in Russia or Nightcrawler could lead an X-Men team in Germany or maybe the X-Men could recruit their members in Australia or Storm could lead an X-Men team in Africa. The possibilities are endless and if the X-Men can have other bases in other countries while still supporting Professor Xavier’s dreams, then their goals in maintaining good human and mutant relationships can be achieved more efficiently.

So what do you think? Do you think that the X-Men should have their base in other countries also or should they remain in the United States?

Nudeviking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#1  Edited By Nudeviking

They did do something like this in the early 2000s with the X-Corporation, but after Decimation it kind of ceased to exist.

Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Rabbitearsblog

@Nudeviking said:

They did do something like this in the early 2000s with the X-Corporation, but after Decimation it kind of ceased to exist.

Awww....they should have continued that. It would have made things more interesting.

Daycrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Daycrawler

Personally I don't think they should at this point in time given that there are so few mutants in the world. It's dangerous enough that they're currently split down the middle because of Schism, but to spread yourself so thin would be suicidal as it would be easy pickings for bad guys. Even if numbers were not an issue, they'd probably need a foreign governments consent to open what sounds like mutant embassies across the globe. I don't think Utopia is even a recognised state in the UN's eyes. The X-Men have tried this route before anyway, with the X-Corporation bases they had throughout the world, but that was when there were millions of mutants. Also, that was when Prof X was leader of the X-Men and his dream was alive and kicking. I think nowadays Prof X's dream is dead, or at least on hold. Cyclops has his take-no-s**t military state and Logan has his school, defended by a secret kill squad.

If the mutant population does come back in a big way, I think that I'd like to see the X-Men take a different approach from the whole embassy / outreach style of making a difference. I think they need to be more aggressive in certain ways and media savvy. By aggressive, I don't mean fight but things like building up financial power bases across the globe, become involved in bug multinational firms. Money makes the world go around, and if you got the dough a lot of people in those kinda circles don't care who you are. An people with serious cash and business power often have close ties to policy makers. You've got X-Men like Emma Frost and Roberto D'Costa and Warren Worthington III with money and multi-national businesses already. Back this up with a more pro-active heroic image and PR campaign (kinda what Cyke has started doing), plus aggressive smear campaign on mutantkinds enemies and mutants could be on the up and up.

All of this is easy to say and difficult to pull of. Plus it would be a difficult act to pull off as their enemies won't just take it on the chin. Might even be unworkable. Still, it'd be an interestingly different approach!

Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Rabbitearsblog
    @Daycrawler said:

Personally I don't think they should at this point in time given that there are so few mutants in the world. It's dangerous enough that they're currently split down the middle because of Schism, but to spread yourself so thin would be suicidal as it would be easy pickings for bad guys. Even if numbers were not an issue, they'd probably need a foreign governments consent to open what sounds like mutant embassies across the globe. I don't think Utopia is even a recognised state in the UN's eyes. The X-Men have tried this route before anyway, with the X-Corporation bases they had throughout the world, but that was when there were millions of mutants. Also, that was when Prof X was leader of the X-Men and his dream was alive and kicking. I think nowadays Prof X's dream is dead, or at least on hold. Cyclops has his take-no-s**t military state and Logan has his school, defended by a secret kill squad.

If the mutant population does come back in a big way, I think that I'd like to see the X-Men take a different approach from the whole embassy / outreach style of making a difference. I think they need to be more aggressive in certain ways and media savvy. By aggressive, I don't mean fight but things like building up financial power bases across the globe, become involved in bug multinational firms. Money makes the world go around, and if you got the dough a lot of people in those kinda circles don't care who you are. An people with serious cash and business power often have close ties to policy makers. You've got X-Men like Emma Frost and Roberto D'Costa and Warren Worthington III with money and multi-national businesses already. Back this up with a more pro-active heroic image and PR campaign (kinda what Cyke has started doing), plus aggressive smear campaign on mutantkinds enemies and mutants could be on the up and up.

All of this is easy to say and difficult to pull of. Plus it would be a difficult act to pull off as their enemies won't just take it on the chin. Might even be unworkable. Still, it'd be an interestingly different approach!

I definitely agree that now is not the right time to have bases in other countries, especially since the X-Men have more enemies now more than ever, but maybe if the X-Men could somehow get allies from other countries to help them through this, it might work out, but that's a long shot and things are looking too dark for the X-Men right now.  I also agree that the X-Men would need to convince the foreign governments to let them have bases in other countries. People can't just come into another country and expect the government to do what they say. The X-Men would need some really good diplomats to convince the governments in other countries about the state of mutant affairs and how they can improve the situations.  

I also agree that the X-Men would need a lot financial power to fully complete this task.  Even if they convince the foreign governments about having bases that would support Professor Xavier's dreams, they would need the money to build the bases and influence the public.  The governments usually just listen to rich and powerful people, so the X-Men would need that kind of influence to persuade them.
    jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#5  Edited By jhazzroucher

Not necessary. But I would want them to create a new mutant. A filipino mutant

xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#6  Edited By xerox_kitty

It's funny how they have mutants from all over the world, who then gather in America with no visa problems. It would make sense to have more groups around the world... but sadly (like with Excalibur & Alpha Flight) sales wouldn't sustain titles that aren't based in America. That's the main problem where your core audience lives there ;)

CATPANEXE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7  Edited By CATPANEXE

Outside the logical reasons I really liked reading mutant related comics based in countries other than the US. I like fiction to take me away to other places, hence why scifi is appealing, and liked when books took me away from the US as well. So I'm all for reading books like that as such.

soccersss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By soccersss

They should mutants are a world-wide even universe phenomenon. Small mutants group located in different continents at least would be a good start. The main issue would be generating enough interest to keep sales up since most people would want to read more about mutants located in America like someone already mentioned above.

xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By xerox_kitty

I liked the way that the X-Corp had branches around the world. Unfortunately, we almost never got to see any of those other teams except as cameos for whatever Wolverine adventure happened to drift by them at the time.

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#10  Edited By jhazzroucher

I just wants x-men stories to happen to other countries.

jubilee042

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By jubilee042

what xerox said

Avatar image for phoenixofthetides
    PhoenixoftheTides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Short answer: Yes, if they want to be taken seriously as mutant-rights defenders and brokers of peace between human and mutant populations. They need to take a larger role besides acting as a strike force. Unfortunately, Professor X never proved to be successful in establishing a school that was separate from their para-military operations and in many ways, Emma Frost was the more successful in this regard.

@xerox_kitty said:

I liked the way that the X-Corp had branches around the world. Unfortunately, we almost never got to see any of those other teams except as cameos for whatever Wolverine adventure happened to drift by them at the time.

I agree with you. I actually liked the X-Corp set up. It seemed like they were trying to do a similar thing with the Mutants Sans Frontieres - I guess this took a back seat once Archangel got tangled up with X-Force.

Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Rabbitearsblog
    @xerox_kitty said:

It's funny how they have mutants from all over the world, who then gather in America with no visa problems. It would make sense to have more groups around the world... but sadly (like with Excalibur & Alpha Flight) sales wouldn't sustain titles that aren't based in America. That's the main problem where your core audience lives there ;)

I definitely agree that while the idea is great, the problem would be with whether or not the intended audience would want to read comics that take place in other countries since the core targeted audience is American. 
    xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By xerox_kitty

@PhoenixoftheTides said:

@xerox_kitty said:

I agree with you. I actually liked the X-Corp set up. It seemed like they were trying to do a similar thing with the Mutants Sans Frontieres - I guess this took a back seat once Archangel got tangled up with X-Force.

I thought it was M-Day that put an end to the X-Corp? Either way, they should try it again... well, when they have enough mutants to spread around the world again ;)

Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Rabbitearsblog
    @xerox_kitty said:

@PhoenixoftheTides said:

@xerox_kitty said:

I thought it was M-Day that put an end to the X-Corp? Either way, they should try it again... well, when they have enough mutants to spread around the world again ;)

Yeah, I agree that they should continue the X-Corp in the future when more mutants are restored again.
    Nudeviking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Nudeviking

@xerox_kitty said:

Not to be "that guy" but X-Corp was Banshee's paramilitary strike force thing that featured Jubilee, Multiple Man, and a bunch former X-Enemies like Blob and Avalanche. They had a single base of operation in Paris. X-Corporation was run by Prof. X and had a bunch of different branch offices. There was some overlap between the two. I believe some of the X-Corp people got folded into the X-Corporation office in Paris after X-Corp fell apart.

Back to the issue at hand though, when X-Corporation was a thing I thought it would have been awesome if there had been a quasi-anthology book that dealt with the different branch offices, or a book that kind of rotated between branches after each story arc. Now with the limited number of mutants still in existence in the Marvel Universe, I don't really see a need for such things, but pre-M-Day it could have been cool.

Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Rabbitearsblog
    @Nudeviking said:

@xerox_kitty said:

Not to be "that guy" but X-Corp was Banshee's paramilitary strike force thing that featured Jubilee, Multiple Man, and a bunch former X-Enemies like Blob and Avalanche. They had a single base of operation in Paris. X-Corporation was run by Prof. X and had a bunch of different branch offices. There was some overlap between the two. I believe some of the X-Corp people got folded into the X-Corporation office in Paris after X-Corp fell apart.

Back to the issue at hand though, when X-Corporation was a thing I thought it would have been awesome if there had been a quasi-anthology book that dealt with the different branch offices, or a book that kind of rotated between branches after each story arc. Now with the limited number of mutants still in existence in the Marvel Universe, I don't really see a need for such things, but pre-M-Day it could have been cool.

Yeah, hopefully once the mutant population rises up again, I think that having more bases in other countries would be more effective since there would be millions of mutants in the world.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.