Should the older X-Men have more ties with the new X-men?

Posted by Rabbitearsblog (5894 posts) - - Show Bio

So anyone who has been reading the X-Men series since it was first introduced knows that early on, the X-Men have treated each other like a family and there were many adventures that included both the older X-Men (mainly the original X-Men) and the newer X-Men (at the time, the second generation of X-Men) working side by side. Even during the late 80s and the 90s, when newer mutant characters Rogue, Gambit, Jubilee and many others joined the X-Men, they were also treated as they were apart of the family, with characters like Kitty Pryde and Jubilee having close relationships with Wolverine. So, how about the older X-Men having relationships with the newer X-Men students?

The newer X-Men students are the students known as “New X-Men” as they have students like Armor, Pixie, Hellion, Rockslide, Dust, Elixir, The Stepford Cuckoos, Surge, Prodigy and many more and even though some of them have relationships with the older X-Men (Wolverine and Armor’s relationship and the Stepford Cuckoos’ relationship with Emma Frost) it seems like they barely developed relationships with the older X-Men and are just seen as students. Now I know that the X-Men at this point are supposed to be teachers to the newer X-Men and that is excellent, but I do sort of miss the whole “family” relationships that the X-Men shared among each other and having the older X-Men treat the younger X-Men like they are apart of this big family would definitely be a huge step in developing the relationships with all the characters in the X-Men universe. Also, who wouldn’t want to see the newer X-Men students go butt heads with the older X-Men or have a sort of brother and sister relationship with the older X-Men?

Another reason why I think that the newer X-Men should have more relationships with the older X-Men is because they are rarely seen in missions with the older X-Men unless it was during drastic times and it seems to be a poor waste to have such interesting characters as the new X-Men to be put to the side for most of the story arcs involving the older X-Men. I also would love to see what kind of hilarious and heartwarming moments would come from the older X-Men fighting alongside the newer X-Men.

So what do you think? Do you think that there should be more stories of the older X-Men having closer relationships with the newer X-Men or do you think they are fine where they are?

#1 Posted by John Valentine (16310 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes, I totally agree.

#2 Posted by BlackArmor (6141 posts) - - Show Bio
#3 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (5894 posts) - - Show Bio

@BlackArmor said:

LOL!! Thanks!!!

#4 Edited by The Impersonator (5483 posts) - - Show Bio

I think that the older X-Men should have close relationships with the new X-Men. Because the new X-Men aren't just students who were trained to fight and save innocent lives. They're also people who gets to talk and have friendly conversations. They needed that kind of relationship even if they have to work together in missions.

By the way, you have been nominated for the best blogger in CV End of the Year Awards. :D

http://www.comicvine.com/forums/gen-discussion/1/comic-vine-end-of-the-year-nominations/644113/#55

#5 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (5894 posts) - - Show Bio

@The Impersonator said:

I think that the older X-Men should have close relationships with the new X-Men. Because the new X-Men aren't just students who were trained to fight and save innocent lives. They're also people who gets to talk and have friendly conversations. They needed that kind of relationship even if they have to work together in missions.

By the way, you have been nominated for the best blogger in CV End of the Year Awards. :D

http://www.comicvine.com/forums/gen-discussion/1/comic-vine-end-of-the-year-nominations/644113/#55

REALLY?!!!! I've been nominated?!? Yay!!! I'm so happy about this!!!

I definitely agree that the new X-Men are like the older X-Men, as in they were trained to fight as were the older X-Men and I also would love to see more relationships between them. It would make the series more interesting if the older X-Men had this brother/sister type of relationship with the younger X-Men.

#6 Posted by John Valentine (16310 posts) - - Show Bio

If only Magneto/Emma Frost had taken an interest in Hellion.

#7 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (5894 posts) - - Show Bio

@John Valentine said:

If only Magneto/Emma Frost had taken an interest in Hellion.

Yeah, now that would have been interesting to see!

#8 Posted by WarMachineMarkV (1214 posts) - - Show Bio

- It makes little sense that there have not been more mentor/student relationships but we have to remember

1 - They created 1,000 new mutant kids back when they created the squads, hard to give screen time to all of them

2 - As soon as they killed off enough of them to focus on whats left, it became the Cyclops/Emma show and all the characters that could have became mentors were now background artwork

#9 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (5894 posts) - - Show Bio

@WarMachineMarkV said:

- It makes little sense that there have not been more mentor/student relationships but we have to remember

1 - They created 1,000 new mutant kids back when they created the squads, hard to give screen time to all of them

2 - As soon as they killed off enough of them to focus on whats left, it became the Cyclops/Emma show and all the characters that could have became mentors were now background artwork

I totally agree with this! I really don't understand why there hasn't been any kind of relationships between the older X-Men and the new X-Men recently, but I agree that there are too many new X-Men students to keep up with and it would have been hard to establish a type of relationship with each older X-Men member without making it seem like all the students has to go to this older X-Men member.

#10 Edited by Wow_Im_A_Wonderful_Eggplant (12 posts) - - Show Bio

Fo Sho! I might add too, as you mentioned readers who had been reading since the first generations of X-Men, a large amount of the current X-readership actually came on board right about during New X-Men's run, and many first started on their actual respective books (as many before them with Generation X, New Mutants, ect). There's really no reason for said rift to have even been there this long, not particularly after all comers have already earned their place during any various Marvel events.

#11 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (5894 posts) - - Show Bio

@Wow_Im_A_Wonderful_Eggplant said:

Fo Sho! I might add too, as you mentioned readers who had been reading since the first generations of X-Men, a large amount of the current X-readership actually came on board right about during New X-Men's run, and many first started on their actual respective books (as many before them with Generation X, New Mutants, ect). There's really no reason for said rift to have even been there this long, not particularly after all comers have already earned their place during any various Marvel events.

Oh yes! New X-Men's run was really popular at the time! Do you mean the rift that is Schism?

#12 Posted by Wow_Im_A_Wonderful_Eggplant (12 posts) - - Show Bio

@Rabbitearsblog: Oh, no I'm sorry I should have been a little more detailed. The rift in way the senior X-men and newer X-Men are written interaction wise. As you defined it, whereas even newer younger students, like say in the case of Jubilee or Kitty, where immediately inducted into the family/team, but the newer students now are sort of set apart, be that socially and in the underlying setting of it all. Technically their all students, regardless of when they came into the fold, or in Utopia's case now all citizens, and there shouldn't be a division.

#13 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (5894 posts) - - Show Bio

@Wow_Im_A_Wonderful_Eggplant said:

@Rabbitearsblog: Oh, no I'm sorry I should have been a little more detailed. The rift in way the senior X-men and newer X-Men are written interaction wise. As you defined it, whereas even newer younger students, like say in the case of Jubilee or Kitty, where immediately inducted into the family/team, but the newer students now are sort of set apart, be that socially and in the underlying setting of it all. Technically their all students, regardless of when they came into the fold, or in Utopia's case now all citizens, and there shouldn't be a division.

Oh that's alright! Thanks for the explanation! :D I definitely agree with you that the new students should not have to be shown as just students, but as little brothers or sisters to the older X-Men and it still shocks me to this very day about why they don't let the new X-Men be the family that the older X-Men were to each other.

#14 Edited by Mutant God (3022 posts) - - Show Bio

Namor has ties with Loa I think

#15 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (5894 posts) - - Show Bio

@Mutant God said:

Namor has ties with Loa I think

Hmmm...that would be interesting to see!

#16 Posted by BATPANEXE (51 posts) - - Show Bio

Ja. Loa had a decent role in Namor The First Mutant, and it followed through into Fear Itself: The Deep.

#17 Posted by WarMachineMarkV (1214 posts) - - Show Bio

- If Namor is your example of what to do in a mentor/student situation...your in real trouble...

#18 Posted by Steps (657 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm thinking of what other possible mentor-student relationship can go in.

  • Kavita Rao and Prodigy - was gonna go with Nemesis but he'll probably be too busy working with some science stuff.
  • Surge and Dani Moonstar - I remember that comic where Surge visited Dani and basically I think it'd be great to have them continue helping Surge become less impulsive not that I want Surge to be less emotional mind you.
  • Hellion and Iceman - I was gonna go with Mags and Emma but since Hellion is in Team Wolverine I have to go with Iceman
  • Loa and Namor - since it's already there
  • Rockslide and umm... - I just want someone to mentor Santo
#19 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (5894 posts) - - Show Bio

@Steps said:

I'm thinking of what other possible mentor-student relationship can go in.

  • Kavita Rao and Prodigy - was gonna go with Nemesis but he'll probably be too busy working with some science stuff.
  • Surge and Dani Moonstar - I remember that comic where Surge visited Dani and basically I think it'd be great to have them continue helping Surge become less impulsive not that I want Surge to be less emotional mind you.
  • Hellion and Iceman - I was gonna go with Mags and Emma but since Hellion is in Team Wolverine I have to go with Iceman
  • Loa and Namor - since it's already there
  • Rockslide and umm... - I just want someone to mentor Santo

Do you think that Colossus would be a good influence on Rockslide?

#20 Edited by Steps (657 posts) - - Show Bio

@Rabbitearsblog said:

@Steps said:

I'm thinking of what other possible mentor-student relationship can go in.

  • Kavita Rao and Prodigy - was gonna go with Nemesis but he'll probably be too busy working with some science stuff.
  • Surge and Dani Moonstar - I remember that comic where Surge visited Dani and basically I think it'd be great to have them continue helping Surge become less impulsive not that I want Surge to be less emotional mind you.
  • Hellion and Iceman - I was gonna go with Mags and Emma but since Hellion is in Team Wolverine I have to go with Iceman
  • Loa and Namor - since it's already there
  • Rockslide and umm... - I just want someone to mentor Santo

Do you think that Colossus would be a good influence on Rockslide?

Colossus is a good fit for a mentor to anyone imo but I think Wolverine would actually make for a more interesting mentor on Santo, considering Santo's such a big kid someone as hardcore yet can lighten up as wolverine would be interesting. Too bad Wolverine only wants to mentor little girls.

#21 Posted by BATPANEXE (51 posts) - - Show Bio

@WarMachineMarkV said:

- If Namor is your example of what to do in a mentor/student situation...your in real trouble...

It worked well with Loa I thought, though he was pretty much the only person that could really be there as well. He does look after an entire race after all when you think about it, and has trained and led armies for centuries.

#22 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (5894 posts) - - Show Bio

@Steps said:

@Rabbitearsblog said:

@Steps said:

I'm thinking of what other possible mentor-student relationship can go in.

  • Kavita Rao and Prodigy - was gonna go with Nemesis but he'll probably be too busy working with some science stuff.
  • Surge and Dani Moonstar - I remember that comic where Surge visited Dani and basically I think it'd be great to have them continue helping Surge become less impulsive not that I want Surge to be less emotional mind you.
  • Hellion and Iceman - I was gonna go with Mags and Emma but since Hellion is in Team Wolverine I have to go with Iceman
  • Loa and Namor - since it's already there
  • Rockslide and umm... - I just want someone to mentor Santo

Do you think that Colossus would be a good influence on Rockslide?

Colossus is a good fit for a mentor to anyone imo but I think Wolverine would actually make for a more interesting mentor on Santo, considering Santo's such a big kid someone as hardcore yet can lighten up as wolverine would be interesting. Too bad Wolverine only wants to mentor little girls.

Yeah! It would be interesting to see Wolverine actually mentor younger boys, although I do like the idea that he mentored Armor. Who do you think would best suit Colossus, even though he can mentor anyone?

#23 Posted by Steps (657 posts) - - Show Bio

@Rabbitearsblog said:

@Steps said:

@Rabbitearsblog said:

@Steps said:

I'm thinking of what other possible mentor-student relationship can go in.

  • Kavita Rao and Prodigy - was gonna go with Nemesis but he'll probably be too busy working with some science stuff.
  • Surge and Dani Moonstar - I remember that comic where Surge visited Dani and basically I think it'd be great to have them continue helping Surge become less impulsive not that I want Surge to be less emotional mind you.
  • Hellion and Iceman - I was gonna go with Mags and Emma but since Hellion is in Team Wolverine I have to go with Iceman
  • Loa and Namor - since it's already there
  • Rockslide and umm... - I just want someone to mentor Santo

Do you think that Colossus would be a good influence on Rockslide?

Colossus is a good fit for a mentor to anyone imo but I think Wolverine would actually make for a more interesting mentor on Santo, considering Santo's such a big kid someone as hardcore yet can lighten up as wolverine would be interesting. Too bad Wolverine only wants to mentor little girls.

Yeah! It would be interesting to see Wolverine actually mentor younger boys, although I do like the idea that he mentored Armor. Who do you think would best suit Colossus, even though he can mentor anyone?

Snowflake for the sole reason that their relationship is just so adorable.

#24 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (5894 posts) - - Show Bio

@Steps said:

@Rabbitearsblog said:

@Steps said:

@Rabbitearsblog said:

@Steps said:

I'm thinking of what other possible mentor-student relationship can go in.

  • Kavita Rao and Prodigy - was gonna go with Nemesis but he'll probably be too busy working with some science stuff.
  • Surge and Dani Moonstar - I remember that comic where Surge visited Dani and basically I think it'd be great to have them continue helping Surge become less impulsive not that I want Surge to be less emotional mind you.
  • Hellion and Iceman - I was gonna go with Mags and Emma but since Hellion is in Team Wolverine I have to go with Iceman
  • Loa and Namor - since it's already there
  • Rockslide and umm... - I just want someone to mentor Santo

Do you think that Colossus would be a good influence on Rockslide?

Colossus is a good fit for a mentor to anyone imo but I think Wolverine would actually make for a more interesting mentor on Santo, considering Santo's such a big kid someone as hardcore yet can lighten up as wolverine would be interesting. Too bad Wolverine only wants to mentor little girls.

Yeah! It would be interesting to see Wolverine actually mentor younger boys, although I do like the idea that he mentored Armor. Who do you think would best suit Colossus, even though he can mentor anyone?

Snowflake for the sole reason that their relationship is just so adorable.

You mean Illyana?

#25 Posted by Steps (657 posts) - - Show Bio

@Rabbitearsblog said:

@Steps said:

@Rabbitearsblog said:

@Steps said:

@Rabbitearsblog said:

@Steps said:

I'm thinking of what other possible mentor-student relationship can go in.

  • Kavita Rao and Prodigy - was gonna go with Nemesis but he'll probably be too busy working with some science stuff.
  • Surge and Dani Moonstar - I remember that comic where Surge visited Dani and basically I think it'd be great to have them continue helping Surge become less impulsive not that I want Surge to be less emotional mind you.
  • Hellion and Iceman - I was gonna go with Mags and Emma but since Hellion is in Team Wolverine I have to go with Iceman
  • Loa and Namor - since it's already there
  • Rockslide and umm... - I just want someone to mentor Santo

Do you think that Colossus would be a good influence on Rockslide?

Colossus is a good fit for a mentor to anyone imo but I think Wolverine would actually make for a more interesting mentor on Santo, considering Santo's such a big kid someone as hardcore yet can lighten up as wolverine would be interesting. Too bad Wolverine only wants to mentor little girls.

Yeah! It would be interesting to see Wolverine actually mentor younger boys, although I do like the idea that he mentored Armor. Who do you think would best suit Colossus, even though he can mentor anyone?

Snowflake for the sole reason that their relationship is just so adorable.

You mean Illyana?

Yeah. I mean I know she's become a person with 20% of her souls left but now that Colossus is Colossonaught they both have good and evil in them.

P.S.

I know why Wolverine likes to train little girls, his aging is slowed down right... so considering his love life he's probably thinking "can't hit that now but maybe in a few years".

#26 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (5894 posts) - - Show Bio

@Steps said:

@Rabbitearsblog said:

@Steps said:

@Rabbitearsblog said:

@Steps said:

@Rabbitearsblog said:

@Steps said:

I'm thinking of what other possible mentor-student relationship can go in.

  • Kavita Rao and Prodigy - was gonna go with Nemesis but he'll probably be too busy working with some science stuff.
  • Surge and Dani Moonstar - I remember that comic where Surge visited Dani and basically I think it'd be great to have them continue helping Surge become less impulsive not that I want Surge to be less emotional mind you.
  • Hellion and Iceman - I was gonna go with Mags and Emma but since Hellion is in Team Wolverine I have to go with Iceman
  • Loa and Namor - since it's already there
  • Rockslide and umm... - I just want someone to mentor Santo

Do you think that Colossus would be a good influence on Rockslide?

Colossus is a good fit for a mentor to anyone imo but I think Wolverine would actually make for a more interesting mentor on Santo, considering Santo's such a big kid someone as hardcore yet can lighten up as wolverine would be interesting. Too bad Wolverine only wants to mentor little girls.

Yeah! It would be interesting to see Wolverine actually mentor younger boys, although I do like the idea that he mentored Armor. Who do you think would best suit Colossus, even though he can mentor anyone?

Snowflake for the sole reason that their relationship is just so adorable.

You mean Illyana?

Yeah. I mean I know she's become a person with 20% of her souls left but now that Colossus is Colossonaught they both have good and evil in them.

P.S.

I know why Wolverine likes to train little girls, his aging is slowed down right... so considering his love life he's probably thinking "can't hit that now but maybe in a few years".

Yeah, I agree that now Colossus and Magik can actually connect with each other now since they both now possess dark powers.

LOL at Wolverine!!!

#27 Posted by John Valentine (16310 posts) - - Show Bio

@Steps said:

I'm thinking of what other possible mentor-student relationship can go in.

  • Kavita Rao and Prodigy - was gonna go with Nemesis but he'll probably be too busy working with some science stuff.
  • Surge and Dani Moonstar - I remember that comic where Surge visited Dani and basically I think it'd be great to have them continue helping Surge become less impulsive not that I want Surge to be less emotional mind you.
  • Hellion and Iceman - I was gonna go with Mags and Emma but since Hellion is in Team Wolverine I have to go with Iceman
  • Loa and Namor - since it's already there
  • Rockslide and umm... - I just want someone to mentor Santo

I'm not sure what Iceman would have to offer Hellion. Don't get me wrong, he's one of my favourite comic book characters, but I just don't think that Hellion would respect him enough to learn anything from him. Their personalities and powers are completely different. Moreover, I think Iceman should focus on his own power development.

If anything, I think Rachel Grey should mentor Hellion.

I don't think Colossus is right to mentor anyone right now. He's a psychopath.

#28 Posted by MyraMyraMyra (296 posts) - - Show Bio

I love mentor-student relationships between classic characters and newer (and younger) characters. It's a great way to bring older and newer generations of characters closer together. It also often leads to great character developement. Having a newer character bond with an older character is an excellent way to flesh out the newer character and add some new depth to the older one.

So far, my favourite recent student-mentor relationships has got to be the Gambit & X-23 relationship. They made an excellent team, and having him mentor her proved to be a source of great character developement for both of them. Gambit taught Laura to appreciate herself, and being the responsible one for a change was something new for him. I also loved Laura's friendship with Jubilee. There's an element of sisterly rivalry there because they're both sort of surrogate daughters to Wolverine, but they've also developed a hilariously awkward friendhsip. I'm hoping that new writers won't forget their frienship after the X-23 series ends.

Rogue had an interesting mentor/student relationship with Hope in the early days of Generation Hope, but that seems to be all forgotten about now that she has been replaced as the mentor first by Kitty and then by Pixie - which is a shame, because they had a lot in common. I like Loa as Namor's sidekick, too, even though I'm not hugely interested in either character.

I also liked the brief mentor/student thing Armor had with Wolverine, though I'm kind of hoping that she'll get some other older character to look up to instead because Wolverine has had way too many teenage girl sidekicks. Same goes for Oya. Although I think her moments with Wolverine have been very cute, I'm kind of hoping that some other character will mentor her instead simply because it's really getting crowded under Wolverine's wing. I guess writers are coming up with new reasons for Wolverine to act as Papa Bear because his cuddly side is just too irresistable.

I think Iceman should have a younger sidekick, too. Out of the original X-Men, he's had the least character developement, so maybe stepping into the role of a mentor would bring something new to the character. I also think that Kenji and Magneto would make an excellent mentor/student team - though Kenji seems like the sort of character who would violently oppose the thought of being mentored by anyone. Surge would also make a great apprentice to Magneto because he's helped her with her powers before.

It would also be interesting to see one of the Cuckoos bonding with someone other than Emma. And Laurie should totally leave Utopia & team up with Mystique (who is bound to return) - not just because they're both blue redheads, but because... Okay, because they're both blue redheads.

#29 Edited by Steps (657 posts) - - Show Bio

@John Valentine said:

@Steps said:

I'm thinking of what other possible mentor-student relationship can go in.

  • Kavita Rao and Prodigy - was gonna go with Nemesis but he'll probably be too busy working with some science stuff.
  • Surge and Dani Moonstar - I remember that comic where Surge visited Dani and basically I think it'd be great to have them continue helping Surge become less impulsive not that I want Surge to be less emotional mind you.
  • Hellion and Iceman - I was gonna go with Mags and Emma but since Hellion is in Team Wolverine I have to go with Iceman
  • Loa and Namor - since it's already there
  • Rockslide and umm... - I just want someone to mentor Santo

I'm not sure what Iceman would have to offer Hellion. Don't get me wrong, he's one of my favourite comic book characters, but I just don't think that Hellion would respect him enough to learn anything from him. Their personalities and powers are completely different. Moreover, I think Iceman should focus on his own power development.

If anything, I think Rachel Grey should mentor Hellion.

I don't think Colossus is right to mentor anyone right now. He's a psychopath.

A similar appreciation on not being serious.

#30 Posted by WarMachineMarkV (1214 posts) - - Show Bio

@BATPANEXE said:

@WarMachineMarkV said:

- If Namor is your example of what to do in a mentor/student situation...your in real trouble...

It worked well with Loa I thought, though he was pretty much the only person that could really be there as well. He does look after an entire race after all when you think about it, and has trained and led armies for centuries.

- With Namor's history of temperamental and ego issues I'm not sure if he is a very good long term solution as a mentor for anyone. He also loses his kingdom more often than I lose my car keys.

- Considering Loa's history he does make the most sense, but I could see him neglect her if it got in the way of his efforts to steal Emma from Scott...

- He has a lot more on his plate than most veteran X-Men, so it also makes them look bad because if he has the time, so should they.

#31 Posted by The Impersonator (5483 posts) - - Show Bio

@Rabbitearsblog: Yep. You deserve the nomination. :)

#32 Posted by Mutant God (3022 posts) - - Show Bio

Plus through Namor, Loa got a spot on the Defenders

#33 Posted by John Valentine (16310 posts) - - Show Bio

@Steps said:

@John Valentine said:

@Steps said:

I'm thinking of what other possible mentor-student relationship can go in.

  • Kavita Rao and Prodigy - was gonna go with Nemesis but he'll probably be too busy working with some science stuff.
  • Surge and Dani Moonstar - I remember that comic where Surge visited Dani and basically I think it'd be great to have them continue helping Surge become less impulsive not that I want Surge to be less emotional mind you.
  • Hellion and Iceman - I was gonna go with Mags and Emma but since Hellion is in Team Wolverine I have to go with Iceman
  • Loa and Namor - since it's already there
  • Rockslide and umm... - I just want someone to mentor Santo

I'm not sure what Iceman would have to offer Hellion. Don't get me wrong, he's one of my favourite comic book characters, but I just don't think that Hellion would respect him enough to learn anything from him. Their personalities and powers are completely different. Moreover, I think Iceman should focus on his own power development.

If anything, I think Rachel Grey should mentor Hellion.

I don't think Colossus is right to mentor anyone right now. He's a psychopath.

A similar appreciation on not being serious.

That's not a good thing. That's part of the reason why Iceman's not as powerful as he should be. Hellion's not like that at all. He's confident, competitive and a born leader.

#34 Posted by lorex (954 posts) - - Show Bio

The problem with the relatonships between membeers of the older X-Men and the New-X-Men is the younger x-men tend to get lost in the shuffle. There is lots of potential there but sometimes for the sake of convinence  
theey are an after thought to most writers. In the last few years any on page time they might have had tended to be reduced in favor of more Cyclops, Emma or Wolverine time. Yes Hellion, X-23 and the Cookoos have 
recieved some attention but asside from X-23 its mostly in the background. The younger X-Men tend to get lost in the background of the overall X-Men comics where what sells better is another book with Wolverine and 
a book with the younger X-Men would only produce low to medium sales and thats the bottom line. Personally I would rather have a book for the younger x-men in it rather that seeing the Astonishing X-Men recast.

#35 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (5894 posts) - - Show Bio

@MyraMyraMyra said:

I love mentor-student relationships between classic characters and newer (and younger) characters. It's a great way to bring older and newer generations of characters closer together. It also often leads to great character developement. Having a newer character bond with an older character is an excellent way to flesh out the newer character and add some new depth to the older one.

So far, my favourite recent student-mentor relationships has got to be the Gambit & X-23 relationship. They made an excellent team, and having him mentor her proved to be a source of great character developement for both of them. Gambit taught Laura to appreciate herself, and being the responsible one for a change was something new for him. I also loved Laura's friendship with Jubilee. There's an element of sisterly rivalry there because they're both sort of surrogate daughters to Wolverine, but they've also developed a hilariously awkward friendhsip. I'm hoping that new writers won't forget their frienship after the X-23 series ends.

Rogue had an interesting mentor/student relationship with Hope in the early days of Generation Hope, but that seems to be all forgotten about now that she has been replaced as the mentor first by Kitty and then by Pixie - which is a shame, because they had a lot in common. I like Loa as Namor's sidekick, too, even though I'm not hugely interested in either character.

I also liked the brief mentor/student thing Armor had with Wolverine, though I'm kind of hoping that she'll get some other older character to look up to instead because Wolverine has had way too many teenage girl sidekicks. Same goes for Oya. Although I think her moments with Wolverine have been very cute, I'm kind of hoping that some other character will mentor her instead simply because it's really getting crowded under Wolverine's wing. I guess writers are coming up with new reasons for Wolverine to act as Papa Bear because his cuddly side is just too irresistable.

I think Iceman should have a younger sidekick, too. Out of the original X-Men, he's had the least character developement, so maybe stepping into the role of a mentor would bring something new to the character. I also think that Kenji and Magneto would make an excellent mentor/student team - though Kenji seems like the sort of character who would violently oppose the thought of being mentored by anyone. Surge would also make a great apprentice to Magneto because he's helped her with her powers before.

It would also be interesting to see one of the Cuckoos bonding with someone other than Emma. And Laurie should totally leave Utopia & team up with Mystique (who is bound to return) - not just because they're both blue redheads, but because... Okay, because they're both blue redheads.

Yeah! I loved all the relationships that we saw so far of the older X-Men bonding with the younger X-Men. I wish we could see more of those relationships.

@lorex said:

The problem with the relatonships between membeers of the older X-Men and the New-X-Men is the younger x-men tend to get lost in the shuffle. There is lots of potential there but sometimes for the sake of convinence theey are an after thought to most writers. In the last few years any on page time they might have had tended to be reduced in favor of more Cyclops, Emma or Wolverine time. Yes Hellion, X-23 and the Cookoos have recieved some attention but asside from X-23 its mostly in the background. The younger X-Men tend to get lost in the background of the overall X-Men comics where what sells better is another book with Wolverine and a book with the younger X-Men would only produce low to medium sales and thats the bottom line. Personally I would rather have a book for the younger x-men in it rather that seeing the Astonishing X-Men recast.

I agree. I don't like the way that the younger X-Men are always shoved to the background whenever they are next to the older X-Men. There needs to be more stories that focuses on the younger X-Men communicating with the older X-Men.

#36 Posted by Steps (657 posts) - - Show Bio

@John Valentine said:

@Steps said:

@John Valentine said:

@Steps said:

I'm thinking of what other possible mentor-student relationship can go in.

  • Kavita Rao and Prodigy - was gonna go with Nemesis but he'll probably be too busy working with some science stuff.
  • Surge and Dani Moonstar - I remember that comic where Surge visited Dani and basically I think it'd be great to have them continue helping Surge become less impulsive not that I want Surge to be less emotional mind you.
  • Hellion and Iceman - I was gonna go with Mags and Emma but since Hellion is in Team Wolverine I have to go with Iceman
  • Loa and Namor - since it's already there
  • Rockslide and umm... - I just want someone to mentor Santo

I'm not sure what Iceman would have to offer Hellion. Don't get me wrong, he's one of my favourite comic book characters, but I just don't think that Hellion would respect him enough to learn anything from him. Their personalities and powers are completely different. Moreover, I think Iceman should focus on his own power development.

If anything, I think Rachel Grey should mentor Hellion.

I don't think Colossus is right to mentor anyone right now. He's a psychopath.

A similar appreciation on not being serious.

That's not a good thing. That's part of the reason why Iceman's not as powerful as he should be. Hellion's not like that at all. He's confident, competitive and a born leader.

Hellion can also be an act first type of guy think later, within the context of the school the way I see it what Hellion needs in a mentor isn't someone that could hone his abilities to the next level what he needs is someone who can help him relax a bit and as a born leader he's not the type to take orders at least not without a hint of annoyance. I chose Iceman because he's the only one in the school I can see mentoring Hellion in a more cohesive way Iceman seems like the type that kids like Hellion can hang around with and not look at them as just another adult. However I do admit I've never kept up with Rachel Grey so maybe she could provide what I want provided for a character like Hellion.

#37 Edited by John Valentine (16310 posts) - - Show Bio

@Steps said:

@John Valentine said:

@Steps said:

@John Valentine said:

@Steps said:

I'm thinking of what other possible mentor-student relationship can go in.

  • Kavita Rao and Prodigy - was gonna go with Nemesis but he'll probably be too busy working with some science stuff.
  • Surge and Dani Moonstar - I remember that comic where Surge visited Dani and basically I think it'd be great to have them continue helping Surge become less impulsive not that I want Surge to be less emotional mind you.
  • Hellion and Iceman - I was gonna go with Mags and Emma but since Hellion is in Team Wolverine I have to go with Iceman
  • Loa and Namor - since it's already there
  • Rockslide and umm... - I just want someone to mentor Santo

I'm not sure what Iceman would have to offer Hellion. Don't get me wrong, he's one of my favourite comic book characters, but I just don't think that Hellion would respect him enough to learn anything from him. Their personalities and powers are completely different. Moreover, I think Iceman should focus on his own power development.

If anything, I think Rachel Grey should mentor Hellion.

I don't think Colossus is right to mentor anyone right now. He's a psychopath.

A similar appreciation on not being serious.

That's not a good thing. That's part of the reason why Iceman's not as powerful as he should be. Hellion's not like that at all. He's confident, competitive and a born leader.

Hellion can also be an act first type of guy think later, within the context of the school the way I see it what Hellion needs in a mentor isn't someone that could hone his abilities to the next level what he needs is someone who can help him relax a bit and as a born leader he's not the type to take orders at least not without a hint of annoyance. I chose Iceman because he's the only one in the school I can see mentoring Hellion in a more cohesive way Iceman seems like the type that kids like Hellion can hang around with and not look at them as just another adult. However I do admit I've never kept up with Rachel Grey so maybe she could provide what I want provided for a character like Hellion.

You have a very valid point. Maybe someone to teach him to be more compassionate, humble and strategic would be a better choice?

EDIT: Wolverine, to me, appears like a good choice for what you want for Hellion.

I was thinking Rachel Grey for power training.

#38 Posted by Steps (657 posts) - - Show Bio

@John Valentine said:

@Steps said:

@John Valentine said:

@Steps said:

@John Valentine said:

@Steps said:

I'm thinking of what other possible mentor-student relationship can go in.

  • Kavita Rao and Prodigy - was gonna go with Nemesis but he'll probably be too busy working with some science stuff.
  • Surge and Dani Moonstar - I remember that comic where Surge visited Dani and basically I think it'd be great to have them continue helping Surge become less impulsive not that I want Surge to be less emotional mind you.
  • Hellion and Iceman - I was gonna go with Mags and Emma but since Hellion is in Team Wolverine I have to go with Iceman
  • Loa and Namor - since it's already there
  • Rockslide and umm... - I just want someone to mentor Santo

I'm not sure what Iceman would have to offer Hellion. Don't get me wrong, he's one of my favourite comic book characters, but I just don't think that Hellion would respect him enough to learn anything from him. Their personalities and powers are completely different. Moreover, I think Iceman should focus on his own power development.

If anything, I think Rachel Grey should mentor Hellion.

I don't think Colossus is right to mentor anyone right now. He's a psychopath.

A similar appreciation on not being serious.

That's not a good thing. That's part of the reason why Iceman's not as powerful as he should be. Hellion's not like that at all. He's confident, competitive and a born leader.

Hellion can also be an act first type of guy think later, within the context of the school the way I see it what Hellion needs in a mentor isn't someone that could hone his abilities to the next level what he needs is someone who can help him relax a bit and as a born leader he's not the type to take orders at least not without a hint of annoyance. I chose Iceman because he's the only one in the school I can see mentoring Hellion in a more cohesive way Iceman seems like the type that kids like Hellion can hang around with and not look at them as just another adult. However I do admit I've never kept up with Rachel Grey so maybe she could provide what I want provided for a character like Hellion.

You have a very valid point. Maybe someone to teach him to be more compassionate, humble and strategic would be a better choice?

EDIT: Wolverine, to me, appears like a good choice for what you want for Hellion.

I was thinking Rachel Grey for power training.

I've always managed to avoid most Wolverine not that I hate him I'm just completely indifferent so maybe that's a reason why I never thought of him, but won't his job as a headmaster make him I don't know bossy (haven't read WatX so I don't know how he's acting as a headmaster).

#39 Posted by John Valentine (16310 posts) - - Show Bio

@Steps said:

@John Valentine said:

@Steps said:

@John Valentine said:

@Steps said:

@John Valentine said:

@Steps said:

I'm thinking of what other possible mentor-student relationship can go in.

  • Kavita Rao and Prodigy - was gonna go with Nemesis but he'll probably be too busy working with some science stuff.
  • Surge and Dani Moonstar - I remember that comic where Surge visited Dani and basically I think it'd be great to have them continue helping Surge become less impulsive not that I want Surge to be less emotional mind you.
  • Hellion and Iceman - I was gonna go with Mags and Emma but since Hellion is in Team Wolverine I have to go with Iceman
  • Loa and Namor - since it's already there
  • Rockslide and umm... - I just want someone to mentor Santo

I'm not sure what Iceman would have to offer Hellion. Don't get me wrong, he's one of my favourite comic book characters, but I just don't think that Hellion would respect him enough to learn anything from him. Their personalities and powers are completely different. Moreover, I think Iceman should focus on his own power development.

If anything, I think Rachel Grey should mentor Hellion.

I don't think Colossus is right to mentor anyone right now. He's a psychopath.

A similar appreciation on not being serious.

That's not a good thing. That's part of the reason why Iceman's not as powerful as he should be. Hellion's not like that at all. He's confident, competitive and a born leader.

Hellion can also be an act first type of guy think later, within the context of the school the way I see it what Hellion needs in a mentor isn't someone that could hone his abilities to the next level what he needs is someone who can help him relax a bit and as a born leader he's not the type to take orders at least not without a hint of annoyance. I chose Iceman because he's the only one in the school I can see mentoring Hellion in a more cohesive way Iceman seems like the type that kids like Hellion can hang around with and not look at them as just another adult. However I do admit I've never kept up with Rachel Grey so maybe she could provide what I want provided for a character like Hellion.

You have a very valid point. Maybe someone to teach him to be more compassionate, humble and strategic would be a better choice?

EDIT: Wolverine, to me, appears like a good choice for what you want for Hellion.

I was thinking Rachel Grey for power training.

I've always managed to avoid most Wolverine not that I hate him I'm just completely indifferent so maybe that's a reason why I never thought of him, but won't his job as a headmaster make him I don't know bossy (haven't read WatX so I don't know how he's acting as a headmaster).

Ha, well, apparently Wolverine can do everything. I think Wolverine's ability to balance man and beast could aid Hellion to reduce the hastiness of his actions. Second to that, I think Hellion would actually respect Wolverine. Then there's their mutual adoration of Laura (in different ways).

#40 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (5894 posts) - - Show Bio

Just a tiny question:

Which older X-Men members would you want to see communicate with the new X-Men?

#41 Posted by Soulstealer (825 posts) - - Show Bio

@Rabbitearsblog said:

Just a tiny question:

Which older X-Men members would you want to see communicate with the new X-Men?

To be honest, Gambit. I wouldn't have thought of him as a mentor really before, but after reading some of the X-23 books I found that he seemed pretty good in that role actually. He knows what it's like to go astray and at the same time he's skilled, calm, collected, with a nice pinch of "charm" to make the medicine go down easier as it were.

Truthfully I don't think he'd work if you needed a lot of discipline, but otherwise he's not bad and I think him and Hellion butting heads some more would be nice reading.

#42 Posted by Thunderscream (1810 posts) - - Show Bio

I loved how X-23 emulated Psylocke back when she got resurrected and the team was abducted by the Savage Land mutants. It was super cute and I think Betsy would be a fantastic mentor to Laura.

#43 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (5894 posts) - - Show Bio

Kitty would definitely be a good mentor to any of the students. Now which one of the new X-Men she would have closer ties with, not so sure about that, but anyone of them would be fine.

#44 Posted by unicornpuncher (418 posts) - - Show Bio

Rockslide needs someone more gentle as a mentor.

What about Anole and Northstar? Too obvious and cliche?

Also Dani was Elixer's guardian and nothing was ever done with that. Loa had a crapload of potential and was never really used. No one gave a crap about Namors book

#45 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (5894 posts) - - Show Bio

@unicornpuncher said:

Rockslide needs someone more gentle as a mentor.

What about Anole and Northstar? Too obvious and cliche?

Also Dani was Elixer's guardian and nothing was ever done with that. Loa had a crapload of potential and was never really used. No one gave a crap about Namors book

Yeah! There were so many good relationships between some of the older X-Men with the new X-Men in the past, but they just drop all that recently. It's just so sad...

#46 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (5894 posts) - - Show Bio

Bump.

#47 Posted by Sir_Deadpool (461 posts) - - Show Bio

@Rabbitearsblog:i guess letting them appear more often in the sameissues would introduce the new x-men more than now. Honestly the new x-men are not this interesting to me like the original or old x-men. But when they would have more appearences together they would more likely join the X-men family then now!

#48 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (5894 posts) - - Show Bio

@Sir_Deadpool said:

@Rabbitearsblog:i guess letting them appear more often in the sameissues would introduce the new x-men more than now. Honestly the new x-men are not this interesting to me like the original or old x-men. But when they would have more appearences together they would more likely join the X-men family then now!

Yes, I agree that if they were in more issues with the older X-Men more often, they would definitely be apart of the family.

#49 Posted by Sir_Deadpool (461 posts) - - Show Bio

@Rabbitearsblog said:

@Sir_Deadpool said:

@Rabbitearsblog:i guess letting them appear more often in the sameissues would introduce the new x-men more than now. Honestly the new x-men are not this interesting to me like the original or old x-men. But when they would have more appearences together they would more likely join the X-men family then now!

Yes, I agree that if they were in more issues with the older X-Men more often, they would definitely be apart of the family.

jep, thats what i thought about it

#50 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (5894 posts) - - Show Bio

Bump.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.