Should Jean and Cyclops end up together?!

Posted by Lady Loveless (722 posts) - - Show Bio

Alright what I am addressing is the relationship between Cyclops and Jean. I mean they were the golden couple since the team was formed. If things would have ended differently do you think they would have lived happily ever after? 

Or, do you think one of many suitors would have stepped in...lets say (as some universes depict) Jean and Wolverine ended up together, or the professor made his move (this coulda happened check Cracked.com) or a random like Iceman, Angel, or her third original teammate Beast stepped in.  

Cyclops has had plenty of women falling for him to name a few are Psylocke, Storm, and Emma Frost. Now would any of these be better suited for him or is Jean the ticket?!? 

Comments and other suggestions please!!!

#1 Posted by Roddy010 (5246 posts) - - Show Bio

Storm has never fallen for Cyclops...

Anyways Jean and Scott are pretty much the heart and soul of the X-men...They're the reason the team was started in the first place...Sadly they're marriage began to crumble and fade so I don't think things would have eneded much differently (plus adding the fact jean forced Cyclops to move on)...I always thought Cyclops/Psylocke would have made an awesome pairing...

#2 Posted by Lady Loveless (722 posts) - - Show Bio
@Roddy010 said:

Anyways Jean and Scott are pretty much the heart and soul of the X-men...They're the reason the team was started in the first place...Sadly they're marriage began to crumble and fade so I don't think things would have eneded much differently (plus adding the fact jean forced Cyclops to move on)...I always thought Cyclops/Psylocke would have made an awesome pairing...

http://xmen-supreme.blogspot.com/2011/11/astonishing-x-men-44-deceptively.html This the link explaining the issue in which this took place (granted not in love and Storm is married and Cyclops was with Emma at the time of this).
#3 Posted by TheGreyOutcastX (2051 posts) - - Show Bio

@Lady Loveless said:

@Roddy010 said:

http://xmen-supreme.blogspot.com/2011/11/astonishing-x-men-44-deceptively.html This the link explaining the issue in which this took place (granted not in love and Storm is married and Cyclops was with Emma at the time of this).

That Storm is from another Universe. It doesn't count.

#4 Posted by Mercy_ (92695 posts) - - Show Bio

Absolutely not.

#5 Posted by Lady Loveless (722 posts) - - Show Bio
@Mercy_: Absolutely not Jean and Scott? Or Scott and Storm? 

@TheGreyOutcastX: My question is all in the hypothetical so all resources or parallel universe information counts. I am not saying pick the solution that makes the most sense to the continuum, but what do you think would work the best or you would just like to see. 

Off what you said about Psylocke, I would be down for Psylocke+Cyclops...or (off topic) do you think Psylocke and Gambit would work?!
#6 Posted by Mercy_ (92695 posts) - - Show Bio
@Lady Loveless both
#7 Posted by WarMachineMarkV (1214 posts) - - Show Bio

- While I will agree that Scott and Jean were once the golden couple of the Marvel U, the writers over the last decade have pretty much destroyed any chance of that returning. I really do not see a situation where they get back together that does not come off as bs.

- As for Scott and Storm, I really see more sibling rivalry between them than romance.

#8 Posted by Roddy010 (5246 posts) - - Show Bio

@Lady Loveless said:

@Roddy010 said:

http://xmen-supreme.blogspot.com/2011/11/astonishing-x-men-44-deceptively.html This the link explaining the issue in which this took place (granted not in love and Storm is married and Cyclops was with Emma at the time of this).

That's not the real Storm...Try again..

#9 Posted by TheGreyOutcastX (2051 posts) - - Show Bio

@Lady Loveless: And Storm hasn't shown any interest in him and him vice versa. They are more like Siblings given all the rivalry between them for Leadership.

Jean and Scott worked for a time, but unless both of them get some real character work, it would only die again.

Emma and Scott, regardless of my opinion of Emma, work well for either other cause she helps flesh out more characterization than he's had for years.

Psylocke and Scott don't really work for me.

#10 Posted by RogueOracle (242 posts) - - Show Bio

Nope. Emma and Scott should stay together.

I would maybe to have like to seen Jean have a relationship with Warren. They both dated each other as teenagers and now as adults they could have made it work.

#11 Posted by Lady Loveless (722 posts) - - Show Bio
@Roddy010: Comics do have one main continuum, but aren't alternate realities just that...altered realities which shape the characters. Not changing them from who they are at their core, but just what they must face and who with. This is not the storm that most know, but obviously with the right setting and situation the passion can instead of collide work into chemistry.
#12 Posted by XsPectre28 (719 posts) - - Show Bio

Even if Scott & Emma Dont Work Out I Dont Want Him & Jean Back Together...... They Are No Longer In Love & They HAve Come To Terms With That, IF JEAN DOES FALL IN LOVE I HOPE ITS WOLVERINE But That Might Stir Up A New Feud Between Him & Scott Cause Together Or Not I Dont Think Scott Wants Them Together But It Would Be Nice If Scott/Emma & Jean/Wolverine Became The Power Couples & Leaders Of The X-Family

#13 Posted by Blood1991 (8098 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't think Jean would want him back. He isn't exactly the golden boy she married these days..... If she had stayed alive post M-Day I would be curious to se if they would stay together, but honestly I think the relationship was over before she died. If she comes back I'm curious if she will jump right to Wolverine or if someone else will pop into the picture.

#14 Posted by FernandoGrey (215 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't think Jean Grey should be back with Scott because various reasons:

1. She was betray by Cyclops when he started telepathic-sexual intercourse with Emma Frost and defend that betrayal.
  2. She pushed him to live on with his life and love otherwise he would end alone and cold-hearted.
  3. She loves him but she need to move on too with being single or explore new dates excluding Logan and Scott.
  4. To finish my argument, she is too much woman for Scott because she was loyal only to him and she don't deserve to be cheated again by Scott.

So, let's wait for her return in order to live a new chapter away from Scott, Logan, and specially the Phoenix Force.

#15 Posted by Roddy010 (5246 posts) - - Show Bio

@Lady Loveless said:

@Roddy010: Comics do have one main continuum, but aren't alternate realities just that...altered realities which shape the characters. Not changing them from who they are at their core, but just what they must face and who with. This is not the storm that most know, but obviously with the right setting and situation the passion can instead of collide work into chemistry.

That's exactly what alternate realities are...The real Storm has little to no affection toward Scott and the real Storm would never kiss Scott out of spite...This is why it's called an alternate reality because its's just that (an alternate versions of characters)...

#16 Posted by John Valentine (16310 posts) - - Show Bio

Their relationship is as dead as Jean is. Well, that's not an accurate comparison. But it should be left in the annals of X-history.

#17 Posted by Mercy_ (92695 posts) - - Show Bio

@John Valentine said:

Their relationship is as dead as Jean is. Well, that's not an accurate comparison. But it should be left in the annals of X-history.

I was gonna say. A more likely relationship comparison to Jean's death would be Rogue and Gambit (unfortunately).

#18 Posted by Lady Loveless (722 posts) - - Show Bio
@Roddy010 said:

@Lady Loveless said:

@Roddy010: Comics do have one main continuum, but aren't alternate realities just that...altered realities which shape the characters. Not changing them from who they are at their core, but just what they must face and who with. This is not the storm that most know, but obviously with the right setting and situation the passion can instead of collide work into chemistry.

That's exactly what alternate realities are...The real Storm has little to no affection toward Scott and the real Storm would never kiss Scott out of spite...This is why it's called an alternate reality because its's just that (an alternate versions of characters)...

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL dude totally not saying should the series take this turn...I am strictly saying from a hypothetical stand point would you like that pairing. O_o lawl
#19 Posted by John Valentine (16310 posts) - - Show Bio

@Roddy010 said:

@Lady Loveless said:

A certain jet scene springs to mind.....

#20 Posted by Blood1991 (8098 posts) - - Show Bio

@John Valentine said:

@Roddy010 said:

@Lady Loveless said:

A certain jet scene springs to mind.....

Mr. Valentine may be right unfortunetly....

I'm not sure if they kissed or just hugged, either way for a brief moment of weakness Storm may have given in to Cyclops's unwanted advances lol the man has a way with do or die romance XD

#21 Posted by Roddy010 (5246 posts) - - Show Bio

@Lady Loveless said:

@Roddy010 said:

@Lady Loveless said:

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL dude totally not saying should the series take this turn...I am strictly saying from a hypothetical stand point would you like that pairing. O_o lawl

Lol Hell Naw....Storm and Cyclops' relationship is too much like a sibling rivalry for them to actually form some sort of romance...Incest much? lol

#22 Posted by Roddy010 (5246 posts) - - Show Bio

@Blood1991: No kissing in that scan and that was no sign of a romance...More like a friend comforting another friend...IIRC correctly this is the same story that had Storm over exert herself when she tried to override that hemisphere size blizzard (which only happened because Sienna Blaze screwed up the EM spectrum) I interpret that scan as a sensible moment between to friends...It did show Storm in a more vulnerable state and Scott consoling her after she tried to perform a dangerous stunt...There was no hint of a kiss, Hell Storm was more concerned with Forge (her real love) than what was going on with Scott...I don't think we should look to much into this since there was no confirmation of a kiss...It could have just been a hug or Scott trying to warm her body with his body heat...

#23 Posted by DEGRAAF (7881 posts) - - Show Bio

I would like to see Jean, Scott, Nathan, Nathan, and Rachel all in one room for a day

#24 Posted by TheGreyOutcastX (2051 posts) - - Show Bio

@DEGRAAF said:

I would like to see Jean, Scott, Nathan, Nathan, and Rachel all in one room for a day

Same.

#25 Posted by Yasiiii4 (150 posts) - - Show Bio

Jean and Cyclops should never be together again.

#26 Posted by Osian2 (455 posts) - - Show Bio

@FernandoGrey:Jean was never really loyal to scott. Before he cheated with Emma Jean had already kissed logan and even tried to start an affair with him but he turned her down. On topic I do believe they should get back together they were "the" couple of the marvel universe and although people claim they've both moved on there is definitly love still there.

#27 Posted by fivestarga (240 posts) - - Show Bio

No! Jean should not end up with Cyke. That run is over. Just enjoy Cyke and Emma, who is the far more interesting female anyways.

#28 Posted by Mercy_ (92695 posts) - - Show Bio

@Yasiiii4 said:

Jean and Cyclops should never be together again.

#29 Posted by God_Spawn (37873 posts) - - Show Bio

@fivestarga said:

No! Jean should not end up with Cyke. That run is over. Just enjoy Cyke and Emma, who is the far more interesting female anyways.

#30 Posted by oraclefyre (936 posts) - - Show Bio

They moved on from each other. Let them go their separate ways.

#31 Posted by PhoenixoftheTides (3549 posts) - - Show Bio

No.

#32 Edited by fodigg (6146 posts) - - Show Bio

If Jean Grey is ever returned, they would need to break her free from the love triangle and establish her as a standalone, romantically unattached character before ever moving into a new romantic direction. Since her inception she's been tagged as "the girl"--the romantic object of interest from all the male members, including even Professor X--and while some quality story lines have attempted to add depth to her she's still primarily just the shiny bauble that Scott and Logan fight over because they're too phobic to just make out with each other.

Granted, they could bring Jean back just to do the same old things with her all over again (and have before), but why bother? They're already using her that way and they didn't even have to bring her back to do it. It's especially telling that she's most remembered in terms of that love triangle (and the Phoenix thing), and that the personality doesn't really extend much beyond that in the public conscious, and even among many comics fans.

So yeah, if they bring her back, they'd be wise to dump everything romance-wise (at least temporarily) and Phoenix-wise (permanently) and start re-building her character from the ground up. I'd even call for a new visual motif (ditch the bird/flame motif along with the Phoenix powers) and a new ancillary power (like Emma's diamond form) to make her stand out.

#33 Posted by htb106 (1641 posts) - - Show Bio

I thought they were always together...

#34 Posted by FernandoGrey (215 posts) - - Show Bio

I believe she kissed other people but never and ever had sex with other beside Scott, that's more low than all the kiss that mostly were robbed or unexpected. So, please, she need to move on, find someone better than Scott and Wolverine.

#35 Posted by ApatheticAvenger (1636 posts) - - Show Bio
  • Scott is better with Emma, Jean is better off dead.
  • Cyclops and Storm have been affectionate with each other on occasion (I remember them sharing a moment at the end of God Loves, Man Kills) but their relationship is strictly platonic. Only in the Exalted universe were they ever depicted as particularly close.
#36 Posted by Ebbm (1118 posts) - - Show Bio

No, Jean can do better

#37 Posted by Lady Loveless (722 posts) - - Show Bio
@fodigg said:

If Jean Grey is ever returned, they would need to break her free from the love triangle and establish her as a standalone, romantically unattached character before ever moving into a new romantic direction. Since her inception she's been tagged as "the girl"--the romantic object of interest from all the male members, including even Professor X--and while some quality story lines have attempted to add depth to her she's still primarily just the shiny bauble that Scott and Logan fight over because they're too phobic to just make out with each other.

Granted, they could (and have) bring Jean back just to do the same old things with her all over again, but why bother? They're already using her that way and they didn't even have to bring her back to do it. It's especially telling that she's most remembered in terms of that love triangle (and the Phoenix thing), and that the personality doesn't really extend much beyond that in the public conscious, and even among many comics fans.

So yeah, if they bring her back, they'd be wise to dump everything romance-wise (at least temporarily) and Phoenix-wise (permanently) and start re-building her character from the ground up. I'd even call for a new visual motif (ditch the bird/flame motif along with the Phoenix powers) and a new ancillary power (like Emma's diamond form) to make her stand out.

I love this concept, what if she did come back she was on her own x-team, lead a team, or at least deattached from a team that had wolverine, cyclops, or maybe a lot of the old x-men like beast, storm, gambit etc.  

would love to see a battle between her and emma, even if it wasn't a fight for scott....just an old fashion girl fight
#38 Posted by knighthood (1693 posts) - - Show Bio

Personally, I do not like Emma Frost as an X-Man. But the way Cyclops is acting he will be forming the Brotherhood of Evil Ex-X-Men. Then I would be okay with Emma and Scott being together.

Concerning Jean. She is golden, but please keep her dead.

#39 Posted by MasterofChaos (1153 posts) - - Show Bio

I think they'll be fine apart.I hope.  I'd actually kind of not like it for them to break up Scott and Emma just because Jean came back and they wanted them to be together.  I'd actually like to see how Jean is handled if she wasn' in a relationship, just a stand alone character.

#40 Edited by Osian2 (455 posts) - - Show Bio

I hope they do get back together I mean if it wasn't for Jean telepathically nudging him Scott wouldn't have moved on to Emma so there is definitly still love between them plus I hate how Marvel keeps ruining all their great couples i.e. Scott and Jean, Peter and Mary Jane, Rogue and Gambit and I would like them to undo these bad decisions.

But Scott and Emma have become a great couple now leaving me in an awkward position.

#41 Posted by xtremexfan (38 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't want to see them back together. Jean wouldn't fit into Scott's world anymore anyway. I also don't want to see Jean and Wolverine together either, because Jean needs to get out on her own and be her own person. I want to see Jean fall for someone you wouldn't expect her to end up with at all. They've been running the Jean/Scott/Logan love triangle for 30 years now. Enough is enough.

#42 Posted by Brazen_Intellect (1144 posts) - - Show Bio

At this point, no, way past the point of no return

#43 Posted by Rickbarry (1775 posts) - - Show Bio

Scott cheated on her once. Why would she want to be with him again?

#44 Edited by Osian2 (455 posts) - - Show Bio

@Rickbarry said:

Jean attempted to have an affair with wolverine before Scott and Emma even happened (New X-men 117) and she even kissed him twice. It will be very hypocritical of her to not forgive Scott for his "telepathic" affair when she tried to start a physical one first.

#45 Edited by Hareil0079 (429 posts) - - Show Bio

@Osian2 said:

@Rickbarry said:

Jean attempted to have an affair with wolverine before Scott and Emma even happened (New X-men 117) and she even kissed him twice. It will be very hypocritical of her to not forgive Scott for his "telepathic" affair when she tried to start a physical one first.

Keep in mind she sensed scott was hiding something from her so she reacted, plus keep in mind scott hid the fact for a while when jean first came back that he was married and had a kid, I doubt any women wouldn't feel betrayed or wanna a guy who hides things from the person she loves around. Just saying.

Edit: Scott has had more than several opportunities to have a happy life with jean and messed up by himself even with a damn clone ver. of her he messed up. This whole being with Emma not marrying her as a whole honoring angle in this point in time is very very weak. I've been saying it for a min. on multiple threads. AvX is the perfect time to bring Jean back either at the end of the event or the final climax and have her character officially move on from scott, Branch out, form her own time X-Avengers, something, build on her character, but not go back to scott just to get into a boring role of a love triangle and kill her off out of sheer bored-em. It's the perfect time to expand on her character, hell I like to see her and wolverine together it'll add more interest to the x books and plus it'll be a good test for Cykes new character change.

#46 Posted by Osian2 (455 posts) - - Show Bio

@Hareil0079 said:

@Osian2 said:

@Rickbarry said:

Keep in mind she sensed scott was hiding something from her so she reacted, plus keep in mind scott hid the fact for a while when jean first came back that he was married and had a kid, I doubt any women wouldn't feel betrayed or wanna a guy who hides things from the person she loves around. Just saying.

Edit: Scott has had more than several opportunities to have a happy life with jean and messed up by himself even with a damn clone ver. of her he messed up. This whole being with Emma not marrying her as a whole honoring angle in this point in time is very very weak. I've been saying it for a min. on multiple threads. AvX is the perfect time to bring Jean back either at the end of the event or the final climax and have her character officially move on from scott, Branch out, form her own time X-Avengers, something, build on her character, but not go back to scott just to get into a boring role of a love triangle and kill her off out of sheer bored-em. It's the perfect time to expand on her character, hell I like to see her and wolverine together it'll add more interest to the x books and plus it'll be a good test for Cykes new character change.

Scott was hiding his thoughts from Jean because he felt that she would hate him for it. He still loved Jean but felt that his darker thoughts would push her away. This doesn't in anyway justify how Jean reacted. Instead of trying to reach out to her husband (who had been possessed for 6 months) she tried to start an affair with Wolverine and when her Phoenix powers came back she cared even less. Compare this to how Scott acted when Jean was possessed and had problems with the phoenix, he stood by her the whole time. Also I don't see how Scott was the one who kept messing up if anything most of the blame falls on Jean who couldn't stay alive or who kept falling for other men (Logan, Jason).

I'm not saying that Scott is blameless either but it bothers me when people act like Scott is the only one at fault, it takes two to tango. I'm on the fence these days as to whether him and Jean should become a couple again. On one hand they were "the" couple of the x-men and the love between them was always something I liked. On the other hand I also like his relationship with Emma and I don't see how they could end it without Cyclops coming out as the bad guy.

#47 Posted by oraclefyre (936 posts) - - Show Bio

It truly depends on how Jean is as person when/if she returns. She would be a whole different person.

Unfortunately, with the whole Emma and Namor thing, Scott might become a free agent. Jean might return and, well, you never know. Nothing lasts forever is the X-Men's world, and if it did, it would become boring.

#48 Posted by Renascence (128 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm personally over Scott's sordid love affairs.

I'd like to see him trying to rule mutantkind/the X-Men without some superior female companion inevitably being downgraded to his second-in-command.

#49 Posted by IllyanaRasputin (1116 posts) - - Show Bio

Everyone should just give up on relationships in the Marvel Universe... you can't have a functional one as a superhero so just "have your way" with one another and keep saving the world... JEESSSH. haven't they all learned by now!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.