Follow

X-Men

Team » X-Men appears in 13416 issues.

The X-Men are a superhero team of mutants founded by Professor Charles Xavier. They are dedicated to helping fellow mutants and sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them.

Selene And Magma's Relationship

ultimatekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By ultimatekey

I read New Mutants and in that series, there was an issue where Magma inspected a statue that is a representation of her Grandmother, MANY TIMES REMOVED........ So, my interpretation from that is that Selene is Magma's ancestral grandmother not her immediate grandmother. Why do most sources cite Selene as Magma's grandmother instead of ancestor? That makes more logical sense...........Because I was just thinking about. I know Selene is an evil villain and all, but she killed her daughter (Amara's mom). So I was thinking either Selene is the mother of Amara's father or mother? If Selene was the mother of Amara's father, then why was she married to his political opponent and how could Amara's father not know or at least say something? It was more believable that Selene was the mother of Amara's mother because that seems true to her character and villainous but some things do not add up. And even in Necrosha, Selene refers to Amara as her granddaughter. Why don't they just refer to her as her descendant instead? And what is the deal with Amara's backstory? The in-world explanation and the real-world explanation. I heard that she was originally from the Roman civilization Nova Roma in Brazil and the Amazons, and then I heard that she is really a British girl whose father was an ambassador to Brazil and was brainwashed with other citizens for Selene's schemes and her real name is Allison Crestmere. Then I heard that she woke up from her coma in New X-Men, realized that the Allison Crestmere persona and that British identity is false and went back to being Amara Aquilla....................................like...............I am so confused right now. Can somebody explain please?

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By cattlebattle

Too many writers with too many different ideas over the years.

I think the original intention was that Selene killed Amaras mother in the same vain that she had planned to sacrifice Amara. Selene actually being a relative of Amara was a retcon so searching for exact logic in her initial story with Amara can seem sort of groundless.

poisonfleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3  Edited By poisonfleur

Whhhhhhhaaaaaaaaatt!? Scans!

Dman1366

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ultimatekey: So Claremont wrote Selene as the grandmother of Amara. Selene is ancient and, I am just guessing here, had kids of her own (i.e. Amara's mother). Because Selene's history is vast, there most definitely was ancient statues of her. So yeah, she could definitely be both an ancestor and a grandmother simultaneously, but it has been many years since I have read The New Mutants (vol 1), so I may be wrong. Lastly, she was from Nova Roma in Brazil. But then, and my memory is fuzzy, wasn't it revealed in the last issue of that arc that she was actually from Britain? So that is why she left with the New Mutants?

I tend to stick soley with Claremont/Simonson continuity as far as the New Mutants go, since they were the two writers that gave birth to these characters. Anything past them is more like expensive fan fiction.

Thunderscream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5  Edited By Thunderscream

@dman1366: Nova Roma and all inhabitants thereof were revealed to be abducted British folk with implanted memories (I think) Within the walls of the city they believed themselves to live around the time of ancient Rome. Amara's modern day name is Allison Crestmere...but I'm not entirely sure what's been retconned between then and now.

Dman1366

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thunderscream: that is what I thought, but yeah I guess us old fans don't pay attention much to new retcons lol

Avatar image for phoenixofthetides
    PhoenixoftheTides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By PhoenixoftheTides

@thunderscream said:

@dman1366: Nova Roma and all inhabitants thereof were revealed to be abducted British folk with implanted memories (I think) Living within the walls of of the city they believed themselves to live around the time of ancient Rome. Amara's modern day name is Allison Crestmere...but I'm not entirely sure what's been retconned between then and now.

That was retconned, too. That was revealed to be a result of Empath's brainwashing in order to get Amara to stay with him IIRC.

Amara's background was always a mess TBQH. I think interest in the volcanic eruption in Pompeii was what lead to her backstory, and unfortunately, it all just falls apart. Despite having such useful and flashy superhuman powers, it's partially why she always ends up fading in the background.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.