Follow

X-Men

Team » X-Men appears in 13410 issues.

The X-Men are a superhero team of mutants founded by Professor Charles Xavier. They are dedicated to helping fellow mutants and sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them.

Secret Wars/Inferno

Avatar image for earthsmightiest
    EarthsMightiest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Inferno

Just announced! One of my favorite crossovers! Bring on the Goblin Queen.

No Caption Provided

EC2277

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By EC2277

This is the article about the title (from Newsrama.com) and the covers of the first issue.

No Caption Provided

«Marvel will be revisiting the fondly-remember 1989 crossover “Inferno” in a Secret Wars tie-in series titled Inferno under the “Warzones!” branding. Written by Avengers Arena writer Dennis Hopeless and drawn by Javier Garron, Inferno takes place in a version of reality where the X-Men weren’t triumphant against the demon hordes and Manhattan succumbed to being a permanent “Hell on Earth” to quote Marvel. Taking place story-wise five years after the fall of Manhattan, Inferno pits Colossus and a small group of surviving mutants as they go to rescue his sister, Illyana Rasputin – but as “Inferno fans will recall, she’s not just a damsel in need of rescue.

“Colossus is a man obsessed. In his mind, nothing in the world is more important than rescuing his sister from the Inferno. This mission has consumed his entire life for years now. He’s failed four times and is going back in for another round,” Hopeless tells Newsarama. “On the flip side of that, Illyana has been living all these years as Darkchylde, the all-evil all-powerful badass ruler of the Inferno. That little girl lost routine was a lifetime ago and her brother’s noble quest is laughable.”

In the classic Marvel comics universe, “Inferno” was a temporary situation with Colossus, Illyana, the X-Men and Manhattan surviving to fight another day, but Hopeless confirms this Inferno region of Battleworld is a kind to a What If? reality gone wild.

No Caption Provided

“That’s it exactly. In this world, the X-Men lost and vacated the possessed Manhattan five years back,” Hopeless says. “Colossus takes a team in once a year to try and “rescue” his sister but has always failed. This is the story of year five.”

The writer says “a lot of the fun stuff” from the original 1989 “Inferno” storyline will be brought back for this Secret Warstie-in series, from the Goblin Queen Madelyne Prior to N’astirch, S’ym, and even former New Mutant Boom Boom and the brainwashed Alex Summers.

“Rereading those original Inferno arcs in preparation for the series, I was reminded how weird and cool possessed Manhattan was,” Hopeless says. “It’s just a great idea that even running across multiple series seemed to come and go too fast. I couldn’t help but wonder what demonic New York would look like if had been allowed to grow and thrive. This story builds straight out of that curiosity. We’re exploring the world of Inferno five years after the X-men failed to expunge the demon horde.”

Given this sees the onslaught of Limbo’s forces run unabated across the Marvel U, Hopeless confirms that fans should be prepared for some demonic version of Marvel characters show up in Inferno.

“Anything and anyone that stayed behind when the X-Men retreated has spent the past five year in hell,” says the writer “The demonic possession we saw back then was just the tip of a big scary iceberg. It’s like a cancer that has been growing and growing all this time. That’s right, a big cancerous iceberg of evil.”»

In my opinion this could be an interesting title, because it starts from strong premise (the Inferno saga) and seems have a real plot. But because Marvel can spoil everything in any moment, so I prefer keep low my enthusiasm.

chiq

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"On the flip side of that, Illyana has been living all these years as Darkchylde, the all-evil all-powerful badass ruler of the Inferno. That little girl lost routine was a lifetime ago and her brother’s noble quest is laughable.”

Is this 616 Magik who has Limbo inside her or is this a totally different Illyana?

EarthsMightiest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

AwesomePerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Okay I guess...

EC2277

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By EC2277

@earthsmightiest said:

Neither.

Can anyone explain me, how come when Jean or Madelyne become Dark Phoenix or Goblin Queen, their breast becomes bigger; very bigger?

EarthsMightiest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@chiq said:

"On the flip side of that, Illyana has been living all these years as Darkchylde, the all-evil all-powerful badass ruler of the Inferno. That little girl lost routine was a lifetime ago and her brother’s noble quest is laughable.”

Is this 616 Magik who has Limbo inside her or is this a totally different Illyana?

I suspect Illyana based off the what if world, great read BTW.

No Caption Provided

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd be excited since I really do love Inferno.....but I seriously have no I dear what's happening with these events or how there tying in here.

Its like every press release is just hyping up an old story by telling us things about it we already know buy not explaining how it fits into Secret Wars.

Is this just another territory people are going to cross through? Is this like a "what if" worst case scenario we'll be exploring?

Are the X-Men I'm currently reading about going to be involved in these stories or will it just be a bunch of generic versions of them from different times and places?

What the hell is going on here?

EarthsMightiest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ec2277:

Because Men are drawing them, nuff said.

Tyger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

This guy back for another round?

Avatar image for phoenixofthetides
    PhoenixoftheTides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Magik was my favorite New Mutant, and I both liked "Inferno" & can appreciate a story told just for the sake of being interesting, but I'm not sure there is enough here to really justify a new series. We've already seen this somewhat in AoA. All that said, I'll probably still pick this up - it's a "What If?"-inspired mini-series, so it's not like they are trying to make this a mega event :).

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for hopesummersforthefuture
    HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays said:

What the hell is going on here?

nice and agree

Rickbarry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

*Strips his shirt off and covers himself in oil.*

INFEEERRRRRNOOOOOOOOO!!!

ultimatekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is it me or is Nightcrawler and Colossus best friends? I mean nowadays, everytime I see a cover or an advertisement with either Colossus or Nightcrawler, one of them always end up right next to the other. Also, who is that with the sunglasses near Domino? I want to say its Boom-Boom...........

Rickbarry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is it me or is Nightcrawler and Colossus best friends? I mean nowadays, everytime I see a cover or an advertisement with either Colossus or Nightcrawler, one of them always end up right next to the other. Also, who is that with the sunglasses near Domino? I want to say its Boom-Boom...........

Nightcrawler, Colossus and Wolverine have been inseparable (Unless they're dead...which they all have been over the past decade) over the years. They form the holy trinity and the first confirmed bromance in the X-verse. It's why they're always depicted together. That is Boom-Boom by the by.

EC2277

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By EC2277

@koays said:

[…]

1. Is this just another territory people are going to cross through?
    2. Is this like a "what if" worst case scenario we'll be exploring?
    3. Are the X-Men I'm currently reading about going to be involved in these stories or will it just be a bunch of generic versions of them from different times and places?
    4. What the hell is going on here?
    1. Yes, it is just another title correlated to some alternative reality of Marvel Comics and to throw in the cauldron of Battleworld.
    2. Yes it is the worst case scenario for the Inferno saga: Madelyne have defeated the X-Men, have created the portal between Earth 616 and the Inferno. So now she rule above Manhattan with her demon army, Illyana is become Darkchild and Colossus try to save her; or something like that.
    3. Yes there will be a bunch of alternative version of the same characters; for example there will be 616 Cyclops (I think both Old than Teen), "Age of Apocalypse" Cyclops, "House of M" Cyclops, "animated series" Cyclops… When Marvel will announce in which titles will appear the "Earth 616" X-Men, we will know what titles we will have to read and in my opinion A-Force and Inferno aren't among these.
    4. Still in my opinion every title of Battleworld will be managed exactly like a current title: it will have its own plot, its own characters and there will be some crossover between the various titles. So the "Earth 616" X-Men will interact with the "Inferno" X-Men, only if there will be a crossover between the titles in which will appear the "Earth 616" X-Men and the "Inferno" X-Men.

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ec2277: Gotcha.....not impressed though.

You know when DC announced there event, I was satisfied with how it would play out because it was all alternate versions of characters that we had scene before. But with the Marvel event, the added factor of time has kind of screwed things up.

I mean this isn't a very good celebration of past stories since it seems like we're just getting worst case scenarios of different worlds all meshed together. And the real question is who are we supposed to be following through this story? The 616 cast doesn't exist as far as I can tell. So I have to what? Invest in numerous tie-ins featuring a dozen people from a dozen different worlds with a dozen back stories? Hell the majority of these stories aren't even from universes we really know much about, just universes based around Big Events that didn't turn out the way we read them in some vague way. So there's not even a bonus for knowing the history of a world.

Really I'm not complaining about the story before its written so much as asking for a reason to get invested....because right now I'm on team DC because I at least know the characters and where they're from. Marvel needs to get on their promo team because I need some plot info before I care about this.

EC2277

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By EC2277

@koays: Are you talking about Crisis on the infinite Earth or Flashpoint?

Anyway both the DC events are born from totally different premises, in comparison to Secret Wars 2015: Crisis on the infinite Earth was born by the need to put in order the DC-universe, while Flashpoint was a huge relaunch of the all DC titles.

Instead Secret Wars is only an huge event (I called it "The Event mother of all the Events"), with the only goal to keep high the sales. They aren't celebrate the best past stories, but they use the past stories to create this new event, like a chef use the various ingredients to create a dish. So the concept is more similar to X-Men versus Teen Titans or Amalgam, than Flashpoint or Crisis on the infinite Earth: there isn't an editorial project behind Secret Wars, it is only a new event; the biggest event in the Marvel story. So behind a lot of these titles there isn't a real background, a real story, but only the necessity to write something to sell. They will not write a title because they have a story to tell. They tell a story, because they have a title to sell and all these continuous announces, banners and solicits, have the purpose of excite us, without tell anything just because behind this new titles there isn't a strong background.

A-Force is emblematic of that: the writer have use a lot of words to describe the title, but de facto he didn't said nothing except "it will be a feminist paradise" (whatever want mean) and announcing the existence of a new mysterious menace (wow!). Inferno is different, because starts from the homonym saga and so there is a stronger background behind the title. Infact the writer gave us a more detailed description of the book, of the background and of the story that he will tell us. But it is still a kind of "What if…?" and because all the sagas have had an happy ending, almost all this alternative realities can be only a worst case scenario; even if there will be some exception like X-Men'92.

I hope to have understood what you mean, because I have the impression that we are talking about different thing.

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ec2277: No what I'm talking about is the up coming DC Event with similar premise Convergence where parts of all the different DC worlds of the past will be put into different cities by Braniac and forced to interact while trapped in cities with some of the most important characters from other worlds. There's a clear understanding in the information that been given out that the enemy is Braniac and through some manner people will be dealing with the new characters but ultimately have to deal with him as he is the one who captured them from their universe's.

But your point is very near to the one I'm trying to make.

Marvel is trying to sell us something. But in doing so they arent telling us anything. Their saying "We're cooking food, and its gonna have cheese, and bread, sauce and meat" but they still haven't told us what whether its a sandwich or pizza, or something else.

I have no reason to get excited for this meal that Marvel is preparing because all they've given is a vague list of ingredients. And considering the last time they "cooked" we got Axis and the time before that Original Sin, I'd like to at least have some better idea what they'll be serving then "A-forces will have females in it, isn't this event great?".

Marvel needs to stop describing the ingredients and give us some clue as to what there serving here. Because I'm not going to run out to buy X-Men 92, or Inferno-Redux when the premise for this could all be Squirrelgirl having an allergic reaction to nuts and hallucinating. I'm just asking that they sell it to me.

EC2277

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By EC2277

@koays: I don't read the DC Comic, so I couldn't knew Convergece.

Anyway I can say only a thing: I agree with you. More time pass, more announces they do and more this great event seems only a bunch of minor events, mixed together and pass off for the born of an All New Marvel Universe; "all new"exactly like the various "All New X-Men", "All New X-Factor", "All New Captain America"…

In my opinion the greatest change that we could se after Secret Wars, is see Spider Man (616 Peter Parker), Spider Boy (Miles Morales) and Spider Gwen live in the same New York and fight the crime together; wow!

In short they are cooking a minestrone (in italian minestrone means both vegetable soup than hotchpotch), but we don't know if the ingredient are fresh or not, if they are well matched or not and if it will be cooked properly or not.

Geez, also the preparation of a minestrone is similar to the preparation of this event:

1. take all the alternative realities of Marvel Comics
    2. add some new alternative realities, created using the most famous saga or the most famous characters
    3. create some new titles for all these alternative realities
    4. put all this titles in the cauldron of Battleworld and cook
    5. liquidize all the characters, all the titles, all the realities
    6. serve the dish with garnish

X-Men'92?

It could be interesting, if it will have a good writer; I think someone like Whedon, Niciezia, Lobdell, Claremont, Bunn. But I don't think the title will have a writer of that caliber.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f
    deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

Rubear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ec2277: the ubibhibited power of live itself. (c)

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.