Follow

X-Men

Team » X-Men appears in 13416 issues.

The X-Men are a superhero team of mutants founded by Professor Charles Xavier. They are dedicated to helping fellow mutants and sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them.

Scott/Emma: Reading Recs?

ByeFelicia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Hello. I am fairly new to X-Men and from the little I've seen, I really like Scott and Emma and the dynamic of their relationship. Could anyone recommend me good books about them together? I've been looking at either Astonishing X-Men (as I am a Whedon fan, and I like Kitty too) or Matt Fraction's Uncanny X-Men (I like his Hawkeye series), perhaps even the new Uncanny X-Men series. But I've seen mixed reviews on all them and am open to other recommendations.

Anything but New X-Men, please. I fully intended on reading it eventually, but I'd rather have the omnibus than the Ultimate Collections and I don't have the money for that atm. Thank you kindly.

Avatar image for oldnightcrawler
    oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

Hello. I am fairly new to X-Men and from the little I've seen, I really like Scott and Emma and the dynamic of their relationship. Could anyone recommend me good books about them together? I've been looking at either Astonishing X-Men (as I am a Whedon fan, and I like Kitty too) or Matt Fraction's Uncanny X-Men (I like his Hawkeye series), perhaps even the new Uncanny X-Men series. But I've seen mixed reviews on all them and am open to other recommendations.

I definitely would recommend Astonishing X-Men (especially the four trades by Whedon, Gifted, Dangerous, Torn, and Unstappable). If you like Cyclops and Emma, this is basically the beginning of them being a real couple; if you like Kitty, you should love this book, since she's really the main character. Honestly, I recommend it to most new readers anyway, but it sounds especially like what you're already interested in about the X-men (for me, it was the book that got me into Joss Whedon). Highly recommended.

Uncanny X-Men (vol.3) is actually quite good so far, in my opinion. It is pretty Bendis-y, though, which is not to everyone's taste. I would recommend giving it a try though. Something a lot of people don't like about it is that it has a bunch of new students that we haven't been given a lot of reason to care about thus far, but I'll be the first to admit, Eva and Goldballs are growing on me. I'd say give it a shot, at least.

and, hey, welcome to the site.

McKlayn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

@byefelicia said:

I definitely would recommend Astonishing X-Men (especially the four trades by Whedon, Gifted, Dangerous, Torn, and Unstappable). If you like Cyclops and Emma, this is basically the beginning of them being a real couple; if you like Kitty, you should love this book, since she's really the main character. Honestly, I recommend it to most new readers anyway, but it sounds especially like what you're already interested in about the X-men (for me, it was the book that got me into Joss Whedon). Highly recommended.

Uncanny X-Men (vol.3) is actually quite good so far, in my opinion. It is pretty Bendis-y, though, which is not to everyone's taste. I would recommend giving it a try though. Something a lot of people don't like about it is that it has a bunch of new students that we haven't been given a lot of reason to care about thus far, but I'll be the first to admit, Eva and Goldballs are growing on me. I'd say give it a shot, at least.

and, hey, welcome to the site.

YES finally some one else who is liking Gold balls, idk why his power isnt all that but i like the freaking KID

back on topic what he suggested is pretty much all the reading you need to understand the two as a couple, but if you want to dig a bit deeper the Morrison run is when they started their little fling or whatever you call it and its a decent read (not the end all that most people make it out to be but good to read)

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mcklayn said:

YES finally some one else who is liking Gold balls, idk why his power isnt all that but i like the freaking KID

yeah, some characters you just end up liking despite them having stupid powers. Like Cypher, Longshot, Jubilee, Skin, Marrow, Cecilia Reyes, Beak.. I could go on for a while, but you know what I mean.

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5  Edited By HAWK2916

I like Eva and I even like Hijack. Maybe because of his name and the fact that if done right having this guy control all things mechanical or electrical could be interesting. I don't like the healer or Goldballs, I just cant see it. Why cant we get a mutant with Gravity based powers?

Veitha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By Veitha

If you want to know how their relationship started then read New X-Men by Morrison which is great and features the best portrait of Emma ever. Then of course you should read Astonishing X-Men, where they became a real couple. Leave anything X-Men related written by Fraction lol and try Uncanny by Bendis. In short starting:New x-Men; developement: Astonishing X-Men; ending: Uncanny X-Men

Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 6

Don't read it.

You'll grow to love them and then Marvel just completely ruin them for no reason whatsoever.

You're best just avoiding it.

McKlayn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mcklayn said:

yeah, some characters you just end up liking despite them having stupid powers. Like Cypher, Longshot, Jubilee, Skin, Marrow, Cecilia Reyes, Beak.. I could go on for a while, but you know what I mean.

lol you named off some of my favorite characters :'( esp Skin i thought i was the only skin fan in the world! (jubes and cypher oh god yea alot of them)

McKlayn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hawk2916 said:

I like Eva and I even like Hijack. Maybe because of his name and the fact that if done right having this guy control all things mechanical or electrical could be interesting. I don't like the healer or Goldballs, I just cant see it. Why cant we get a mutant with Gravity based powers?

I like Eva, Hijack and i actually like Triage ok too, Love the Three in one and i wish they used Angel more, i don't like the shape shifter though he seems very dry atm

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mcklayn said:

I like Eva, Hijack and i actually like Triage ok too, Love the Three in one and i wish they used Angel more, i don't like the shape shifter though he seems very dry atm

I'm not crazy about any of the new ones yet, really, but I'm willing to give them all a chance. New students are rarely very interesting at first, and I think it's actually more organic to get to know them over time. Take that shape-shifter kid: it makes sense that he would be the one you'd tend to forget about, the kid at the back of the class that no one notices, but that could be part of how he becomes interesting as the story moves foreword.

I am really glad to see the Cuckoos back in a regular role, and Angel being there is just.. it's just so weird and random seeming, I can't help but be intrigued by it. Which is probably one of the first times in twenty years I could say that about the Angel, so that's something..

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Yea, I just cant get into Goldballs. Normally even with new mutants their power are cool and then their personality is written but this Goldballs kid is just sloppy and really its abot as dumb to me as snot boy in WATX. I actually forgot all about the shape-shifter, Wow!! Angel is ok and I honestly miss Dark Angel but the O5 is just still a bit weird idea for me and I still wonder if they will last in this timeline or go back. The healer is..meh. I just get kinda angry when they just discard/ignore some characters and bring new ones out with similar powers. I guess I may still be a little bit partial to Elixir as far as a healer goes.

I really do think Eva is a good character. And if Hijack is done right like maybe being able to not only control electrical and mechanical but maybe being able to send out EMP blast, it could be really interesting. Like I said a mutant with powers controlling gravity would be very interesting because I don't think that's really been done.

In all honesty some of the stuff people in these forums have come up with in the Comicvine Gene Game thread would actually make for cool mutant powers. IMO its actually better than some of the crap writers like Jason Aarn spews out.

X35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 163

User Lists: 8

Don't read it.

You'll grow to love them and then Marvel just completely ruin them for no reason whatsoever.

You're best just avoiding it.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.