Follow

X-Men

Team » X-Men appears in 13410 issues.

The X-Men are a superhero team of mutants founded by Professor Charles Xavier. They are dedicated to helping fellow mutants and sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them.

Scariest X-Men character?

• 53 results
    Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 79

User Lists: 3

Who do you think is the scariest X-Men character whenever they are mad and this doesn't include any of the villains since we already know what they are capable of.

I think Colossus can be scary whenever he's mad (like when he snapped Riptide's neck in "Mutant Massacre" and the things that Wolverine does whenever he reaches "Berserker Mode..."

judasnixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

No Caption Provided

Professor X he is kinda of a dick..... Mind wiping and all that.

AgeofHurricane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

Storm is by far the scariest woman.

Madame_Mist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Storm when she's angry. Teen Jean doesn't seem like someone you don't want to disagree with.

chiq

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By chiq

Prof X, Magik, Legion, Darwin or any PF avatar.

Prof X the most Machiavellian x-man.

Magik or Legion-unstable and unpredictable powerhouses. You don't know always know if they are on the side of the Angels. One can unleash inferno part 2, merge 616 with a hell dimension and trap your soul for eternity, the other one is a universal threat who kills elder gods without much effort.

Darwin-ask Hela

Veitha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Magik, she scares the hell out of me, litterally

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nightcrawler and Shadowcat can be scary if you think about there powers and Xavier is the creepiest.

Avatar image for oldnightcrawler
    oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

I think any character with telepathy would scare me the most.

I think actually think that that's why, outside of the X-men, even most other superheroes don't work with them that much. They could see the worst parts of you, parts you wouldn't even admit to yourself, and you'd never know. Or make you think or do things you otherwise wouldn't, and you'd never know; that's gotta be the hight of vulnerability, and it's one of the main reasons that I can actually understand people being afraid of mutants in general.

time1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 104

#9  Edited By time1

No one.

Avatar image for dishonestsnakecharmer
    DishonestSnakeCharmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Magneto is intimidating, but the scariest has to be the Brood. Their appearance is just chilling. Except for Broo.

Silver_Raven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#11  Edited By Silver_Raven

Well if we are taking about being able to scare. When Dani was a mutant she could strike fear in anyone. She could make your worst nightmare come true and use it against you. It was such a unique and fascinating power. I wonder if we will ever get to see her return to her original self again.

Now if we are looking at the physical appearance of mutants. i can see how Nightcrawler could frighten certain people who believe in a certain religion. Some of the Morlocks are still pretty scary as well, like Masque, Litterbug and Bliss.

As for me I have a shark-phobia so that Sharkgirl in WATXM would be hard for me to look at if she was real.

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Now if we are looking at the physical appearance of mutants. i can see how Nightcrawler could frighten certain people who believe in a certain religion. Some of the Morlocks are still pretty scary as well, like Masque, Litterbug and Bliss.

oh, man, Masque scared the crap out of me when I was a kid. Not so much because of his looks (since he was always in the company of other Morlocks), but because of his power. So creepy.

Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think any character with telepathy would scare me the most.

I think actually think that that's why, outside of the X-men, even most other superheroes don't work with them that much. They could see the worst parts of you, parts you wouldn't even admit to yourself, and you'd never know. Or make you think or do things you otherwise wouldn't, and you'd never know; that's gotta be the hight of vulnerability, and it's one of the main reasons that I can actually understand people being afraid of mutants in general.

I definitely agree with this! I agree that any mutant with telepathy can be really scary, especially if they make you kill yourself by controlling your mind into doing that stunt.

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By oldnightcrawler

@rabbitearsblog: It's one of those science fiction things that I have to make myself not think about too much for the sake of my own sanity.

AgeofHurricane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

HoM Laurie Collins was a major b*tch.

No Caption Provided

papad1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

HoM Laurie Collins was a major b*tch.

No Caption Provided

I wish Laurie was still alive! We really do not have any mutant (alive) anymore who has control over pheromones! Well we still have Stacy X... and Beast if you count him, but I don't!

knighthood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 49

Wolfsbane could be really scary in person.
    Wolfsbane could be really scary in person.

AgeofHurricane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@papad1992: Yeah. As much as i loved her, i think she should stay dead. Have a death that actually sticks for once in the MU.

papad1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@papad1992: Yeah. As much as i loved her, i think she should stay dead. Have a death that actually sticks for once in the MU.

Well she did "appear" as that "bio-sentinel" which was horrible!!

Dman1366

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think maggot would be scary to see. or Calibain

time1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 104

Telepaths are the the ones to watch out for.

AgeofHurricane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By AgeofHurricane
    AgeofHurricane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@papad1992: Worse was Emma acting as if she knewher on some personal level. Lol no. Fall back.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

#24  Edited By Teerack

I feel like Emma would do the cruelest things to a person. Like that time she gave those three security guards a mental triggers to throw up for 48 hours uncontrollably everything time they hear three worlds.(I forget the worlds. They were random things)

At the same time Magik tends to send people to limbo which is basically hell...

papad1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@papad1992: That was the bloody worst.

@papad1992: Worse was Emma acting as if she knewher on some personal level. Lol no. Fall back.

It was so badly integrated, I just... it was... I can't even think about it!!

Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@teerack said:

I feel like Emma would do the cruelest things to a person. Like that time she gave those three security guards a mental triggers to throw up for 48 hours uncontrollably everything time they hear three worlds.(I forget the worlds. They were random things)

Oh yeah! I remembered Emma making the security guards throw up for the next 48 hours. Yeah, if telepaths will make you commit suicide, they are definitely a force to be reckoned with.

DarkDay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@teerack said:

Or what she did to Kimura. Sure Kimura is a monster, but Emma erased all of her good memories, all of them...she even commented about Kimura's love of her grandmother. That is the most hardcore thing ever and it scares me so bad.

Avatar image for phoenixofthetides
    PhoenixoftheTides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jean Grey New X-Men era, Magneto, Professor X, Empath, Emma Frost/The White Queen and Magik.

Storm gets an honorable mention because the only thing holding her back from being scary is not wanting to inflict massive collateral damage, kill innocent civilians or destroying the Earth's atmosphere.

Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jean Grey New X-Men era, Magneto, Professor X, Empath, Emma Frost/The White Queen and Magik.

Storm gets an honorable mention because the only thing holding her back from being scary is not wanting to inflict massive collateral damage, kill innocent civilians or destroying the Earth's atmosphere.

I agree about Storm's powers being one of the most dangerous since she can actually destroy where ever she's at by using her weather powers.

TrueMoonchilde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jean Grey. She kindof blows up solar systems when she losses control.

lorex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#31  Edited By lorex

One of the scariest X-Men is Xavier. Yea he comes across as a mild manered teacher and intellectual but he had no problem using his powers to read other peoples minds, project images into the thoughts of other people and worst of all alter the memories of other people. These were not one off events, he did it all the time. Yes he was coming from a good place and tryinig to help his students out but imagine the incidential damage done to people who were in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Some people have mentioned Storm, well there is something to that. I have noticed that the force of her control over the weather seems to increase when she is under emotional pressure. While she can control all weather but lets just think about the wind for a moment. People might say wind so what. Well in a huricane or tornado its not the wind that will kill you its the buick being thrown by the wind that will. Now combine that with her full control of the weather and when fully unleashed the full power of nature is scary to behold.

Lately Magik has been showing a more dangerous attitude to go with her strong powers. I would not say she is unstabe but I am not really sure she cares if she hurts people.

PhoenixoftheTides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rabbitearsblog said:

@phoenixofthetides said:

I agree about Storm's powers being one of the most dangerous since she can actually destroy where ever she's at by using her weather powers.

The only thing that makes weather control rank lower is that it is so limited. It ultimately only affects the physical world. Time manipulation, reality alteration, telepathy, telekinesis and high end energy manipulation tend to be powers that the most powerful characters have because they are more versatile and ultimately can affect the fabric of time/space, the metaphysical world and things that transcend three-dimension reality. Siena Blaze, for example, nearly killed Storm without even trying because her power is based around the generation of electromagnetic energy which trumps weather in terms of power scale. Magik, with full control of her powers, could just travel back in time and kill Storm's parents or her ancestor. Jean's TK at full power would pick apart anything Storm could do at the subatomic level. Just one of those things. Storm hasn't had much opportunity to explore what her powers could do in space or in other dimensions, though, but being limited by where she is can hinder her. Storm could do a lot if she was angry and didn't care anymore, though, so I can see her being considered Weapon X-level - she could be a nation and team buster which is a really good showing. If she allied with Dr. Doom and decided to be a villain, I think she would be a match for many teams.

Do you think Cyclops or Havok belong on the list?

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

the more I think about this, the more I think that virtually all mutations are scary, and start to understand why people are supposed to be scared of them in the comics.

PhoenixoftheTides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oldnightcrawler said:

the more I think about this, the more I think that virtually all mutations are scary, and start to understand why people are supposed to be scared of them in the comics.

Any super power could be scary. Superman, Batman, Thor or any number of heroes could take over the world without much trouble.

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#35  Edited By fodigg

Dark Phoenix, Emma Frost, Magneto. Then again, I wouldn't feel comfortable around Scott, who has basically gun-eyes so you're at risk of being blown away every time he looks at you if his glasses get jostled.

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By oldnightcrawler

Any super power could be scary. Superman, Batman, Thor oar any number of heroes could take over the world without much trouble.

haha! the people with Batman's "superpower" already run the world!

yeah, you're right of course, I just think of it differently when I'm thinking of a specific character, as opposed to a vague power set. Like, you don't think of superheroes as scary because they're heroes; you think of them as a set of specific individuals. Whereas with mutants, yeah, some of them are superheroes, but most of them aren't really.

Obviously one of the lessons of the X-men is to treat everyone like an individual, regardless of what they are, but I can see how that might be easier said than done if I lived in a world where anyone could be reading my mind at anytime, or what have you.

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 10

#37 god_spawn  Moderator

Legion.

Avatar image for dark_vengeance_
    Dark_Vengeance_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Eye-boy :P

Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Rabbitearsblog

@fodigg said:

Dark Phoenix, Emma Frost, Magneto. Then again, I wouldn't feel comfortable around Scott, who has basically gun-eyes so you're at risk of being blown away every time he looks at you if his glasses get jostled.

I also agree that Cyclops can be scary if you accidentally knock his glasses off his head and he wasn't prepared to shut his eyes when that happens, shooting you down with his laser beams.

DarkDay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By DarkDay

@phoenixofthetides said:

Any super power could be scary. Superman, Batman, Thor oar any number of heroes could take over the world without much trouble.

yeah, you're right of course, I just think of it differently when I'm thinking of a specific character, as opposed to a vague power set. Like, you don't think of superheroes as scary because they're heroes; you think of them as a set of specific individuals. Whereas with mutants, yeah, some of them are superheroes, but most of them aren't really.

Obviously one of the lessons of the X-men is to treat everyone like an individual, regardless of what they are, but I can see how that might be easier said than done if I lived in a world where anyone could be reading my mind at anytime, or what have you.

Well that's the big hole in the X-Men's philosophy. I remember Bruce Banner pointing it out in Universe X. It's easy to say that people shouldn't hate and fear mutants, except people have a right to be afraid. Really afraid in some cases. I'm not sure why the Marvel U hasn't created something to wipe out superhumans in general...Purple Man is a thing...that guy should be dead quite a few times over and his very existence as well as some of the more horrific villains should be enough to get that ball rolling. For another example Mac Gargan Venom.

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darkday said:

@oldnightcrawler said:

Well that's the big hole in the X-Men's philosophy. I remember Bruce Banner pointing it out in Universe X. It's easy to say that people shouldn't hate and fear mutants, except people have a right to be afraid. Really afraid in some cases. I'm not sure why the Marvel U hasn't created something to wipe out superhumans in general...Purple Man is a thing...that guy should be dead quite a few times over and his very existence as well as some of the more horrific villains should be enough to get that ball rolling. For another example Mac Gargan Venom.

isn't it Bruce Banner's destiny to be the last super-powered being alive?

anyway, yeah, people are probably more tolerant of mutants and super-powered beings in general because of the existence of superheroes who make them feel more safe from such threats; but any one of those threats is really just a person underneath, and is therefore entitled to the same standards of justice as the rest of us.

But even without superpowers, people do horrendous things to each other everyday. Not most people, and not most of the time, but even if 365 people do one really awful thing in the course of a year, it makes evil seem omnipresent. Except that 365 people is nothing compared to how many people there actually are. To assume the worst of everyone is just self defeating in the extreme. Should people be afraid of monsterous deeds? sure. But to be afraid of people simply because they are empowered is nothing short of unenlightened.

Mega_spidey01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#42  Edited By Mega_spidey01

prof. x

No Caption Provided

professor x.

PhoenixoftheTides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darkday said:

@oldnightcrawler said:

@phoenixofthetides said:

I agree and great reference. I actually think that mutant and superhuman registration both make sense in this universe and there is a lot of potential in those ideas, but every time we deal with those elements, it's almost always in the context of extremist, villainous plotting. Superheroes want to have their cake and eat it, too: they want to uphold the law, but not be answerable to it unless it's on their own terms and often, reports of collateral damage is limited to structures - we rarely here about the people who die when a superpowered person mistakenly triggers something that causes the loss of life. Most are irresponsible and the only thing that makes them more tolerable than villains is that they are trying to be productive.

Jean199999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@veitha said:

Magik, she scares the hell out of me, litterally

Arkhamc1tizen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 33

Magik she has creepy powers and lives in hell

DarkDay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darkday said:

@oldnightcrawler said:

isn't it Bruce Banner's destiny to be the last super-powered being alive?

anyway, yeah, people are probably more tolerant of mutants and super-powered beings in general because of the existence of superheroes who make them feel more safe from such threats; but any one of those threats is really just a person underneath, and is therefore entitled to the same standards of justice as the rest of us.

But even without superpowers, people do horrendous things to each other everyday. Not most people, and not most of the time, but even if 365 people do one really awful thing in the course of a year, it makes evil seem omnipresent. Except that 365 people is nothing compared to how many people there actually are. To assume the worst of everyone is just self defeating in the extreme. Should people be afraid of monsterous deeds? sure. But to be afraid of people simply because they are empowered is nothing short of unenlightened.

It has actually been forever sense I've read that series, but maybe, and also I wouldn't be surprised. The Hulk tends to exist in most post apocalyptic futures and Maestro actually runs a few I believe even though the first version we met Bruce ends up killing him. Even so there have been alternate versions.

Agreed, in principle. Don't get me wrong you're right about people being at the heart of this and that people are good, people are bad, people are saints and sinners. But the problem here isn't that superhumans don't deserve the same rights as the rest of us. They totally do. The problem however isn't what they deserve or even what perfectly non-powered or "normal" people are capable of. No. The problem with superhumans is the ease with which they can damage not just individual lives, not just society, but honestly the existence of the universe itself. People have tried and on this very site to equate it to something like gun control, but even that is a vastly flawed analogy. I could say something cliche like "Absolute power corrupts absolutely." And while that would be an argument, again it isn't one that gets to the core of the problem. Because yes people with powers could become corrupt everyone could potentially become corrupt. To that we could argue that for every person that is corrupt there could be many others trying to stop corruption, and that would be true as a counter argument. But to me the real problem isn't the people behind the powers, but rather the powers themselves. The examples I gave before were ones that should really frighten common people on principle but the ones that are scary in that way aren't even close to being particularly dangerous in comparison if you look at the most dangerous.

What would have happened if Scarlet Witch had said "No more anything!"

Honestly the scope of some powers means that there are literally no defense against them. Sure other heroes are there to protect the public from what they can. But what happens if they fail? What happens if they don't see the next one coming? PhoenixoftheTides makes a good point about heroes not really being that different from villains. Heroes are given a lot of autonomy and that helps them usually when they need to make things happen quick, but really in the end whom do they actually answer to? To whom does any superhuman actually answer to if the scope of their power is great enough? The governments in their universes for the most part really don't have an answer to that question. Except to pretend that the question doesn't exist. Everyone just sort of lets the chips fall as they may but even when something like Civil War happened, what could the government or the people really do? Even with the best technology they could muster how do you stop beings that could break galaxies or reality.

poisonfleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Scarlet Bit-- I mean Scarlet Witch.

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darkday said:

Agreed, in principle. Don't get me wrong you're right about people being at the heart of this and that people are good, people are bad, people are saints and sinners. But the problem here isn't that superhumans don't deserve the same rights as the rest of us. They totally do. The problem however isn't what they deserve or even what perfectly non-powered or "normal" people are capable of. No. The problem with superhumans is the ease with which they can damage not just individual lives, not just society, but honestly the existence of the universe itself. People have tried and on this very site to equate it to something like gun control, but even that is a vastly flawed analogy. I could say something cliche like "Absolute power corrupts absolutely." And while that would be an argument, again it isn't one that gets to the core of the problem. Because yes people with powers could become corrupt everyone could potentially become corrupt. To that we could argue that for every person that is corrupt there could be many others trying to stop corruption, and that would be true as a counter argument. But to me the real problem isn't the people behind the powers, but rather the powers themselves. The examples I gave before were ones that should really frighten common people on principle but the ones that are scary in that way aren't even close to being particularly dangerous in comparison if you look at the most dangerous.

What would have happened if Scarlet Witch had said "No more anything!"

Honestly the scope of some powers means that there are literally no defense against them. Sure other heroes are there to protect the public from what they can. But what happens if they fail? What happens if they don't see the next one coming? PhoenixoftheTides makes a good point about heroes not really being that different from villains. Heroes are given a lot of autonomy and that helps them usually when they need to make things happen quick, but really in the end whom do they actually answer to? To whom does any superhuman actually answer to if the scope of their power is great enough? The governments in their universes for the most part really don't have an answer to that question. Except to pretend that the question doesn't exist. Everyone just sort of lets the chips fall as they may but even when something like Civil War happened, what could the government or the people really do? Even with the best technology they could muster how do you stop beings that could break galaxies or reality.

yeah, in a way, it is like they're really only answerable to each other. The Avengers or whoever only need to exist in the first place because they aren't the only ones with super powers; they sort of represent the humanity of power (that often seems absent in our own world, where the people with the most power are almost never motivated by anything as altruistic as heroism or justice), and in that way they, collectively, are a type of ultimate authority. But, as individuals, they each represent a different ideal, and therefore, a different answer to that question.

Ultimately, there's never going to be a threat that can't be stopped in a Marvel comic book, because that would mean that the story (and by proxy, the debate in general) was over. (I guess the closest analogies would be the dystopian futures or Zombie-verse stories). But because they live in a world with multiple factions of super-powered people, they keep each other in check at least enough that we don't end up with a Squadron Supreme type situation. The Avengers themselves are technically still answerable to the government, and SHIELD and stuff, which puts them at a political disadvantage to deal with threats from the government (as we saw in Civil War or Dark Reign, for example), and while groups like the X-men may retain varying degrees of autonomy, they are still answerable to the Avengers and vice verse.

As illustrated by stories like House of M, AvsX, or the Illuminati, the superhero world of the Avengers knows full well that they can't afford to have the so-called mutant community against them. In that way, there is a kind of balance. As you point out, characters like the Scarlet Witch, the Beyonder, or even little Franklin Richards all represent potential threats to that balance, but, ultimately, only in a hyperbolic sense.

Avatar image for lordofallhumans
    LordOfAllHumans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Adult Jean Grey, call her mary sue, miss perfect, goodie goodie etc, but when she gets pissed and cuts loose even her friends and family get nervous.

Roddy010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@rabbitearsblog said:

@phoenixofthetides said:

The only thing that makes weather control rank lower is that it is so limited. It ultimately only affects the physical world. Time manipulation, reality alteration, telepathy, telekinesis and high end energy manipulation tend to be powers that the most powerful characters have because they are more versatile and ultimately can affect the fabric of time/space, the metaphysical world and things that transcend three-dimension reality. Siena Blaze, for example, nearly killed Storm without even trying because her power is based around the generation of electromagnetic energy which trumps weather in terms of power scale. Magik, with full control of her powers, could just travel back in time and kill Storm's parents or her ancestor. Jean's TK at full power would pick apart anything Storm could do at the subatomic level. Just one of those things. Storm hasn't had much opportunity to explore what her powers could do in space or in other dimensions, though, but being limited by where she is can hinder her. Storm could do a lot if she was angry and didn't care anymore, though, so I can see her being considered Weapon X-level - she could be a nation and team buster which is a really good showing. If she allied with Dr. Doom and decided to be a villain, I think she would be a match for many teams.

Do you think Cyclops or Havok belong on the list?

Very nice post I can agree with most of your points however you're misconstrued that Storm merely just controls the weather. She actually controls the energies and forces behind weather phenomena (which goes a lot deeper than just controlling the weather) These energies incled Thermal, Electrical, Electromagnetic, Kinetic, Radiant, Potential and Chemical energies as well as Gamma Radiation. All of which she can discover great potential in each aspect of her power. I do agree that she is limited to only the physical world though but her potential stretches a lot further than most energy manipulators.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.