Follow

X-Men

Team » X-Men appears in 13419 issues.

The X-Men are a superhero team of mutants founded by Professor Charles Xavier. They are dedicated to helping fellow mutants and sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them.

Sabretooth solo series

NeonKnight33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Wouldn't that be a nice idea to have, with all his background etc?

Avatar image for v_scarlotte_rose
    V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

Something for Wolverine fans to enjoy while he's away?

Erik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#3  Edited By Erik

It would be boring.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fbfd5d291164
    deactivated-5fbfd5d291164

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 74

User Lists: 7

I'd check it out

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My problem with villain solo's is that they rarely ever involve them fighting heroes....so i'm not for this, because i'm not interested mindless destruction of faceless characters.

Though it would raise his threat level if we actually saw him more competently on his own for a change.

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays said:

My problem with villain solo's is that they rarely ever involve them fighting heroes....so i'm not for this, because i'm not interested mindless destruction of faceless characters.

Though it would raise his threat level if we actually saw him more competently on his own for a change.

Now when you're mentioning it, I don't really recall reading a "villain book" without him becoming an anti-hero to some degree.

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@adamtrmm: Exactly. Though Magneto may become an exception to this, depending on where you stand on some of his kills in the series so far.

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays said:

Exactly. Though Magneto may become an exception to this, depending on where you stand on some of his kills in the series so far.

Killing doesn't make one a villain, if I got your point right.

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@adamtrmm: Basically, but his kills range from justified to cold blooded but all for a cause. So it depends whether you think he crossed the line or not with his punishment.

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays said:

Basically, but his kills range from justified to cold blooded but all for a cause. So it depends whether you think he crossed the line or not with his punishment.

If you think about it, none of whom he killed were innocents to say the least. And while Bunn always compares Magneto throughout the issues to the "executioners" he met during his life, their victims are far from being the same.

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@adamtrmm said:

@koays said:

Basically, but his kills range from justified to cold blooded but all for a cause. So it depends whether you think he crossed the line or not with his punishment.

If you think about it, none of whom he killed were innocents to say the least. And while Bunn always compares Magneto throughout the issues to the "executioners" he met during his life, their victims are far from being the same.

True, but even the chick that worked at the sentinel lab, though not as innocent as she thought, was someone who could've been spared...

It's more morally grey then most villain series, where their hired by good guys to do mercenary work against people who are arguably worst then the villain in question.

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By adamTRMM

@koays said:

True, but even the chick that worked at the sentinel lab, though not as innocent as she thought, was someone who could've been spared...

It's more morally grey then most villain series, where their hired by good guys to do mercenary work against people who are arguably worst then the villain in question.

That actually was the beauty of that issue, she made a puppy face grimace and tried to invoke compassion, yet turned defenseless people into Sentinels against their will. Maybe Magnus seemed to be a merciless killer with the lack of compassion, but I think he considered everything of what she told him an outcry for sparring her life, he just didn't buy that sh!t she was trying to feed him. Yes it was cold-blooded, truly ironhearted, but ask yourself again, whom exactly did he kill?

Quickfingers26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think it would read a lot like a Deathstroke series. That's not a bad thing. If they included in some of the animal mentality and how embraces (opposite of Logan), it could be pretty interesting. If the first issue opened up with some of his classic stuff, like Iron Fist or battling Spidey or even the Morlocks, I'd buy.

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@adamtrmm said:

@koays said:

That actually was the beauty of that issue, she made a puppy face grimace and tried to invoke compassion, yet turned defenseless people into Sentinels against their will. Maybe Magnus seemed to be a merciless killer with the lack of compassion, but I think he considered everything of what she told him an outcry for sparring her life, he just didn't buy that sh!t she was trying to feed him. Yes it was cold-blooded, truly ironhearted, but ask yourself again, whom exactly did he kill?

Your right, looking back they were all huge pricks. It's just the ruthlessness takes him to the edge of Anti-Hero and Villain with good intentions in my eyes.

Really i think my thought had alot to do with the fact that we usually don't get such graphic depictions of Magneto's kills, just vague death counts from his actions. The hands on aspect seems to make him the type of person that would strangle someone barehanded if he didn't have his powers and thought it would help mutants.

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays said:

Your right, looking back they were all huge pricks. It's just the ruthlessness takes him to the edge of Anti-Hero and Villain with good intentions in my eyes.

Really i think my thought had alot to do with the fact that we usually don't get such graphic depictions of Magneto's kills, just vague death counts from his actions. The hands on aspect seems to make him the type of person that would strangle someone barehanded if he didn't have his powers and thought it would help mutants.

I was really pleased to see the ways of using various small metal objects to make killing massively effective and multifarious. But, while I do consider Magneto being fluent in murder as one the most definitive parts of his character, this is far from the culmination of who he is. Bunn must start to acknowledge this as well. I do like Magnus' subtle techniques of communication, but I want some deeper events and struggles to pop up.

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Koays

@adamtrmm: Yea i can see that. It's sort of got a bit of the tv show "Dexter" to his methods. Though in his defense, the way he's showing Magneto move from place to place seeing mutant haters everywhere he looks and getting darker and darker...It sort of shows how the guy we see logically arguing with Xavier and chilling out with the X-Men on Utopia can also be the guy that gets angry enough he 'd crucify Xavier or beat all three of his kids to secure Genosha.

In a way Bunn's current Magneto sort of shows us how oldschool Magneto can slip into doing crazy villain crap like damage the earths magnetic poles....he does it because he legitimately believes it's necessary.

Now if Bunn can show us some more exploration of that beyond Magneto talking about murder, thinking about murder, actually murdering people and explaining how he murdered that guy with low level magnetism....we'd have a compelling book, instead of just a very good one.

Arinya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

This has been done before. He's had two mini-series. One in 93 and the other in 04. I read the 93 books and it started out interesting but was a big stinker. Which is a great shame. The book was drawn by Mark Texeira who is a great artist! He was so messy which lent a great deal to the character and his dark, sad back story. But they blew with a really weak story. It was so bad I didn't bother reading the 04 mini-series.

Honestly, I'd love to see a Sabretooth series by Mark Millar. But don't explain it all! There is nothing worse than taking away a characters mystery like they did with Logan. I refuse to call him James Howlett!

MonsterMODOK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

First things first, greetings everyone this is my first time posting. :D

Basically you said it all, it would be a shame to see him go anti-hero.. I have read the mini-series and it just starts to loose it after a while. It's just not that intense.
    But who knows, a great artist and a good story with fighting the real heroes and clear showings of his real nature could make it last for a while. I would be glad to see it, but not at the cost of ruining the character.

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays:

Yea i can see that. It's sort of got a bit of the tv show "Dexter" to his methods.

Plenty of people say this as well, but unlike Dexter, and that's actually what I think Bunn's narrative overlooks, that his inner monologs were always more self-exploring over self-describing. One could've said that Magneto's an already well-defined persona, but we know better, don't we? ;) The point is, there's still a lot of events and failures that Magneto has to be called out as the result and his own realization (that was actually noticed) of how the ways of his "dream's" achievement have become "ineffective", without any kind of emotion and, if not regret, than at least incertitude, in his flashbacks felt kinda... aloof? Too cold, too calculating, I really miss the passion in his manner. His self-assurance and self-righteousness, after sooooo much has happened to him is hard to take for granted. In a nutshell, I guess I want a self-assessment development because I find it necessary for his current condition as a character.

Though in his defense, the way he's showing Magneto move from place to place seeing mutant haters everywhere he looks and getting darker and darker...

Well, to be honest, I don't think it can go any darker than he has seen already.

It sort of shows how the guy we see logically arguing with Xavier and chilling out with the X-Men on Utopia can also be the guy that gets angry enough he 'd crucify Xavier or beat all three of his kids to secure Genosha.

In a way Bunn's current Magneto sort of shows us how oldschool Magneto can slip into doing crazy villain crap like damage the earths magnetic poles....he does it because he legitimately believes it's necessary.

And that is the beauty if this character, there are so many sides of him, you can decide to yourself which one is the definitive one. Me? I absolutely worship and wholeheartedly accept Claremont's retcon - a good man in his core that was wronged so many times he was driven to the edge of insanity. Even Lobdell's Magneto (until that brain fart of event that is EOD) was pretty thought-provoking take on him, as his every action no matter how destructive it was, could be still much worse. It was a retaliatory, as he considered himself at war. He brutally punished a mutant that killed a human, killed another mutant despite sharing the same beliefs as Magneto in human/mutant upcoming conflict yet was guilty by being a Nazi in the past, and while being regretful of this past and potentially very helpful in the future, it wasn't enough to convince Magnus. Thus, he chose the hatred of his human past over the benefits of mutant future. In Age of Apocalypse he protects humanity with the cost of mutant lives and even his own daughter.

To me, in the end, he is somewhat a combination of the complexes he gained during his life - superiority to his immense power, messiah as he can use this power to save others from his fate, survivor as he the only family member to survive the experience with an increasing feeling when his firstly manifested powers only saved himself from the mass execution of his entire family. "Mutant cause" is just a disguise to atone his own oppression, "homo superior" is a synonym to misanthropy he gladly embraced after being sequentially alienated from humanity - by humanity and having the chance to actually differ himself from them. So very human :)

And it's just a tip of the iceberg.

Now if Bunn can show us some more exploration of that beyond Magneto talking about murder, thinking about murder, actually murdering people and explaining how he murdered that guy with low level magnetism....we'd have a compelling book, instead of just a very good one.

QFT. This, some self-analysis, polysemantic new characters (Briar is a good one by now!) and facing the actual consequences for his actions would be almost perfect.

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@adamtrmm: Yea, i'm with you. We're getting alot of insight into Magneto's mind, and he is painting Mags as a personal capable of all the things he's proven capable of before, and without flat out saying it...sort of calls into question if some of the "Crazy Magneto" moments, as their considered by some, could actually have been more thought out then we believe. I think it's a great thing about this series that we get so much Magneto reflection though because like you say, you'd think he'd be a well defined character...but he's not.

I think if they add a bit more "heart" to some of these moments of self reflection beyond comparing how strong he was then to now, i'd be ok for now. Take for instance his confrontation with the Blob when he saved Dazzler in Uncanny X-Men, he had a silent flashback to Blob in the Brotherhood and it was enough to get across he does actually have strong feelings about his past beyond them just being a means to an end. Idk maybe an issue where he thinks about Polaris, or Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver for a moment will just show us more of character then we see....because honestly "everything is second to his goal" is kind of weak.

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By adamTRMM

@koays:

Well, besides the things I've mentioned I'm missing with the title, there are also things that kinda don't sit well with me. For some reason, at least with 4 issues Magneto is being arbitrarily compared to those he fights against. The first issue - he is the Faketinel with his auto-kill autopilot, just like their system had while recognizing a mutant, he has it for those he considers the enemy. The second issue - to the Nazi with the same almost off-panel "in cold blood" shooting. The third issue - to the Supersentinel that annihilated Genosha, just as it, Magneto did the same to that organization's "sanctuary". And in the last one he identically replicates Sinister, with the same characters, same self-serving actions and even the "badass mad scientist villain sitting" in the end of the issue, with only narrative that makes the difference. I mean, I do like that he is so absolutely grey area and is walking the invisible line, but I find those collations redundant. We know he isn't an innocent, he's flawed as hell and what not, yet I still feel those points while extremely well-written, 100% unnecessary.

That exploration with Blob and saving Dazzler was very cool, I agree. I'm also sucker for their family interaction in any shape of it, QS/Polaris were one of the main reasons why I started reading ANXF in the beginning, and now PAD is going to enlist SW for one of the issues and it makes me kinda worried, because I'm afraid it won't be as explosive as it should be. Same with Magneto, him with anyone of his children in the same room shouldn't end well for the room. There are lots of continuity "aspects" that have to be resolved between them all.

Anyways, we went absolutely off-topic, who's the moderator of this forum so we might ask him/her to transfer this conversation to the new and relevant thread about Magneto series?

Lightblaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wouldn't go for it. So many solos and can't even afford all of them.

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Koays

@adamtrmm: Agreed, especially in regards to his Genosha flashback. He felt like he was just riddling off death stats for what should be the greatest failure of his life as far as mutants are concerned. You can argue the destruction of Genosha pretty much ended a period of Magneto's life that he'd been leading too from issue one and he seems sort of like, "Yea, that sucked". On the other hand his inner thoughts on the Marauders gave off some of the most intense feelings yet since he basically says he'd never forgotten what they did and planned to make them suffer for it all along but had never gotten the chance....between the two you'd think Genosha would've brought on the stronger memories. But eh nitpick i guess.

I'm in the same boat with the Mags, QS, SW, PS vibe. Though i just feel that Polaris has the makings of the best interactions considering anytime something involves Magneto around her it's a character moment...heck even the hologram in ANXF made her (and me) freeze up when it showed up.

Also, lol totally didn't realize this was still the Sabretooth page since we were discussing something similar on Hawk2916's Acolyte page

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By adamTRMM

@koays:

Agreed, especially in regards to his Genosha flashback. He felt like he was just riddling off death stats for what should be the greatest failure of his life as far as mutants are concerned. You can argue the destruction of Genosha pretty much ended a period of Magneto's life that he'd been leading too from issue one and he seems sort of like, "Yea, that sucked". On the other hand his inner thoughts on the Marauders gave off some of the most intense feelings yet since he basically says he'd never forgotten what they did and planned to make them suffer for it all along but had never gotten the chance....between the two you'd think Genosha would've brought on the stronger memories. But eh nitpick i guess.

I think they are afraid to even distantly compare those genocides. Then they shouldn't have sanctioned the elimination of Genosha in the first place. I mean, it could be totally understandable (the editorial intervention) to make Genosha a rogue state to justify its destruction, since they couldn't afford existence of a country of super powered people. That also will somewhat explain that intelligence-insulting "event" that was Eve of Destruction. Anyway, I am with you on that, totally. This is actually everything his character is known for, to prevent anything like this to happen by any means necessary. But it did happen. Under his watch. And this is his ultimate failure. To say he has to be in pain for it is to say the least.

I'm in the same boat with the Mags, QS, SW, PS vibe. Though i just feel that Polaris has the makings of the best interactions considering anytime something involves Magneto around her it's a character moment...heck even the hologram in ANXF made her (and me) freeze up when it showed up.

Yes! This is how their history goes pretty much: their first interaction (I think) was during The Twelve story where Magneto's broken powers caused Apocalypse's failure and there he also used Polaris' identical powers as his own battery for the first time. As the result I think he asked her to join his cause during the Civil War in Genosha, where he could still use her as he himself was depowered, convincing her to stay and learn how to use her full potential and "master" her powerset, like Magneto did, under his training. She admits she likes it. Then he abused her powers almost causing innocents lives which was a distraction as he disappeared to restore his full power, she tried to stop him (with Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver) but he has become really powerful they were non-factors to him that was this chapter's ending and Polaris left Genosha with them. She somehow reappears during EOD to help the humans, then Morrison happened and she was flying naked channeling magnetic auras of the dead mutants, Magneto's final message and confirms for the first time I think that he is her "daddy". Some stuff by Austen I didn't read. Then HOM, then depowerment by her own sister, and they finally meet each other in space under Carey which was absolutely unresolved besides her being shocked after witnessing the "odd" relationship that was Rogneto lol Oh, and there are also some retcons by PAD, can't claim to know them all though.

I'd say they need a little conversation lol

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Koays

@adamtrmm: In my mind i think their afraid to tackle Genosha completely. Even in the Magneto miniseries where QS and Polaris were helping him rebuild Genosha when he first took control, Genosha seemed like an ok place. Eventually we start hearing about it being a beautiful mutant home land. But then without it being explored it was whipped out for shock value. And before the shock even has chance to set in, we've got a hugely expanding mutant population and then a completely decimated mutant population to deal with. And when it finally becomes relevant again..since you know their living on another mutant island, no one brings it up except to compare it to a large target. I just think it would be nice to see from Magneto or even Emma and Polaris' point of view what Genosha really was and what it meant to lose it other then another mutant hate crime.

Also we can't forget that following Genosha Polaris went through a period of spouting Magnetoisms about the mutant race(around her marriage to Havok), and even called out Xavier in Magneto's name during the funeral for "Xorneto". Honestly Polaris seems to put alot of stock into Magneto and her connection to him, and he's one off her most important relationships...despite her not being high up on his. An interaction between them would be more interesting to me then QS and SW who both seem to always just be ok with having no relationship with their father whether he wants one or not. Polaris though, she seems to just have all the makings of a "Daddy's Girl", and it's a shame we've only seen them talk maybe twice...

Plus who can forget this?

No Caption Provided

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays:

In my mind i think their afraid to tackle Genosha completely. Even in the Magneto miniseries where QS and Polaris were helping him rebuild Genosha when he first took control, Genosha seemed like an ok place. Eventually we start hearing about it being a beautiful mutant home land. But then without it being explored it was whipped out for shock value. And before the shock even has chance to set in, we've got a hugely expanding mutant population and then a completely decimated mutant population to deal with. And when it finally becomes relevant again..since you know their living on another mutant island, no one brings it up except to compare it to a large target. I just think it would be nice to see from Magneto or even Emma and Polaris' point of view what Genosha really was and what it meant to lose it other then another mutant hate crime.

Seems like we're getting to the point where the office is afraid of the philosophical expanse of the mutant metaphor. They know that people root for "oppressed minority" aspect and this is their pretty much ultimate comfort zone that proved to sell itself. So why bother? Really damn sad. It's like every opportunity for this exploration is being c@ck-blocked. From Genosha to eXtinction Team, they almost had no chance to prove themselves.

Also we can't forget that following Genosha Polaris went through a period of spouting Magnetoisms about the mutant race(around her marriage to Havok), and even called out Xavier in Magneto's name during the funeral for "Xorneto". Honestly Polaris seems to put alot of stock into Magneto and her connection to him, and he's one off her most important relationships...despite her not being high up on his. An interaction between them would be more interesting to me then QS and SW who both seem to always just be ok with having no relationship with their father whether he wants one or not. Polaris though, she seems to just have all the makings of a "Daddy's Girl", and it's a shame we've only seen them talk maybe twice...

Same here, I view her exactly the same and I could totally see her jealousy and anger over his nonmutual and blind love for Wanda, even when he is the part of herself she hates so much, while Polaris was there for him even when she didn't know he is her father, and with PAD's previous X-factor retcon where Magneto himself was revealed to acknowledge their connection since the very beginning of her life, she now has lots of material for calling him out.

amonahanart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.