Follow

X-Men

Team » X-Men appears in 13415 issues.

The X-Men are a superhero team of mutants founded by Professor Charles Xavier. They are dedicated to helping fellow mutants and sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them.

Review: X-Men First Class Blu-ray

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck
    No Caption Provided

It's hard to believe that it's been over three months since X-Men First Class was in theaters. Now that the movie is available on Blu-ray, it's time to watch it again. I had some doubts over the movie (as many did) but ended up enjoying it (here's my original review of the film).

These days it's hard for comic book readers to go into a movie without expecting the worse. We know there is absolutely no way the movie could be true to the comics. The fact is, it can't and shouldn't. What ends up happening is I'm often surprised that the movie is better than I feared and I find myself somewhat enjoying the movie.

That was partly the case with First Class. It was entertaining. Watching it again, I found myself getting more angry than I did the first time. I was more critical over the little discrepancies that I was originally. Why was Sebastian Shaw mixed with Mister Sinister? Why did Moira lose her accent and somehow become an FBI agent? Why did we see so little of the kids bonding and Angel so quickly change sides? Who decided January Jones could pull off an accurate portrayal of Emma Frost?

== TEASER ==
    No Caption Provided

But it was a good effort all around. Watching the special features gives an understanding what the filmmakers had in mind. The twenty minute "X Marks the Spot" feature gives behind the scenes videos that can be viewed during the movie or separately. There's an interesting feature on recreating the young Magneto scene from the original X-Men.

For those interested in the music, there is a Composer's Isolated Score in 5.1 Dolby Digital.

If you enjoy interactive features, there is a Cerebro Mutant Tracker. It's purpose is "to enhance your telepathic abilities." As the video flashes through different mutants (as seen in the movies), you can click and learn about the different ones and how they relate to the movie continuity. This is were it gets a little interesting. We know there are some discrepancies with this, the other X-films and the Wolverine movie. It's not really a spoiler but the mutants you can read about are Jean Grey, Cyclops, Rogue, Wolverine, Sabretooth (from Wolverine Origins), Angel (Warren Worthington), Professor X, Storm, Pyro, Iceman, Juggernaut, Gambit, Mystique, Emma Frost (but no mention of her appearance in Wolverine Origins), Colossus, Beast, Jason Stryker (Jason 143) and Magneto.

No Caption Provided

It's strange to see footage from the other movies here. Trying to figure out all the differences in the movies (and comics) just isn't worth the time or headaches. We just have to roll with the punches. It does make you wonder what they might have in mind for the next outing. How will they continue to tie things together (or ignore them completely if that works for them).

There is also a series of other features focusing on different areas that run a combined total of one hour and ten minutes. The features include "Second Genesis," "Pulling Off the Impossible," "Transformation" (on creating Beast's look), "Suiting Up" (designing the costumes and coming up with a reason for them to wear them) and so on. There is mention that they originally considered doing a young X-Men movie during the filming of X-2 but it didn't happen the way they planned. They also mention the possibility of a sequel delving into the 70s. The Xavier Institute still needs to be fully set up. They also add that there's more mutants and historical events they could cover.

No Caption Provided

And of course there are the deleted scenes. There are thirteen for a total of fourteen minutes and seven seconds. You might have seen the extended scene with Charles, Erik and Angel in the back room at the club she worked. It's worth checking out. There are also some scenes with Charles and Moira getting more...affectionate.

What happened to Emma's personality?
    What happened to Emma's personality?

Overall, I think my original rating on the movie still stands, for the most part. Again, I found myself getting more upset this time through but it's just something you have to let go of. The movie can't be true to the original source. We have to look at it as being inspired by the characters from the comics. Essentially it was a movie about Charles and Erik. The other kids almost felt like they were just thrown in for background scenery. I would like to see a sequel and find out where they will take this version of the characters. The behind the scenes features are nice and give you a better appreciation for the filmmakers. The fact that they readily admit they can't be true to the comics is reassuring in some ways. It tells us that they aren't oblivious to what we might want. They just do what they can and what they feel they need to. For a comic book movie, it does a pretty good job filling in the void of new movies for the rest of this year.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By cattlebattle

None of these on DVD.......aaaargh!!!

and Sebastian Shaw mixed with Sinister how??....because he was a Nazi?? weird comment

Jordanstine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Jordanstine

Just got a 3D tele, and too bad there's no 3D blu-ray for X-Men FC.

Picking this up as well as the THOR blu-ray combo pack too (both BR sets got an 8/10 review from IGN).

Chane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Chane

Missed it at the cinema, looking forward to watching it finally.

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

#4  Edited By gmanfromheck

@cattlebattle: I felt he was more similar to Sinister with his obsession over the genetics of mutants and the fact that he didn't age. He created different personas over time. Being a nazi doesn't have anything to do with Sinister. Sebastian Shaw just wasn't around in Magneto's youth. A change they made for the movie. Something we have to accept. Just the purist in me was bothered a bit.

ninjacommando

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By ninjacommando

Why did Xavier let Mystique go off without a second thought? Sure she might've wanted to on the inside, but couldn't he, as her childhood friend/brother, try to convince her not to turn to Magneto's methods??? Discrepancies!!!

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By cattlebattle

@G-Man said:

@cattlebattle: I felt he was more similar to Sinister with his obsession over the genetics of mutants and the fact that he didn't age. He created different personas over time. Being a nazi doesn't have anything to do with Sinister. Sebastian Shaw just wasn't around in Magneto's youth. A change they made for the movie. Something we have to accept. Just the purist in me was bothered a bit.

Aha....I see, I didn't think he was obsessed with genetics as he was with powerful mutants, he saw what Erik did at a young age and became interested in him, but yeah, I can see the Sinister correlation. I forgot he changed aliases, I figured the energy absorption keeping him from aging kind of made sense scientifically though

PrinceIMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By PrinceIMC

I'm still hoping that if they do make a sequel that Sinister shows up in a sequel and says that Sebastian Shaw was a creation of his, and he's going to try to infiltrate the X-Men with his new creation, Gambit. Shaw's powers were a little bit Gambit after all. He could try to infiltrate the Brotherhood with another creation, Fabian Cortez. That would bring it all around for me.

Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
    RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

I'll just take the DVD myself. I don't need a lot of the fancy shmancy stuff to be honest. Just the movie and that's enough for me.

Sublimedo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Sublimedo

This movie is totally worth owning. Source material discrepancies aside, it was well-made movie. I'd rather have films like these rather Green Lantern any day. Strong Script and great performances by everyone. I can see why some may not like January Jones' role but I think you can color Emma Frost as ineffectual and ice cold, right? It is just Charles and Erik's story but if you're going to explain the origins of the X-men it doesn't get much more tragic and human(or mutant...) of a story than the drama between these two friends, They, who would've made an unstoppable team together but are, unfortunately, conflicted over their views on humankind. My favorite comic movie of the year.

Baddamdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#10  Edited By Baddamdog

Im getting this on Blu ray! If any one's interested, here's my review of the movie, it was the first review on the site! http://www.comicvine.com/myvine/baddamdog/reviews/

moywar700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By moywar700

Its a great movie, although I wished it could had wow'd me

I was entertained the whole time

mcb650

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By mcb650

My only real problem with the movie (I can ignore the discrepancies between movie and comic) was their choice of characters. Angel Salvadore, Azazel, and Riptide were just a little off for me. Angel in particular was a mind-boggling choice.

Apart from that I thought it was great.

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#13  Edited By ReVamp

@moywar700 said:

Its a great movie, although I wished it could had wow'd me

I was entertained the whole time

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#14  Edited By Gambit1024

I've learned to give up on watching Fox's X-Men movies with fanboy expectations and just watching them as action movies. That being said, this movie was the best X-Men movie and the dude who played Magneto absolutely nailed that performance. I went to see Mags and Xavier kick ass and I left very very pleased. Great movie and I will definitely pick up the Blu-Ray.

HexThis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#15  Edited By HexThis

I've always been quite puritanical about the X-men franchise and I'll admit it annoyed me in the special features to see producers and screenwriters claim that making a continuity-accurate First Class just "wasn't working"...I despise how much instant gratification is a factor in the entertainment industry.

HOWEVER I don't know if I understand why people complain about this movie more than Thor or Captain America. Though it doesn't always stick to continuity, you can't say they don't take the X-men films seriously at all especially by comparison. In Captain America they were too scared to use Nazis or overtly state Stanley Tucci's character was Jewish (as it was implied) and they glossed over the racism of the time having an Asian and Black solider without any subtext there. Also, Percival Pinkerton was removed from the Howling Commandos completely....

I just think the X-men franchise, like the Batman franchise is superior because it's grounded in reality, it takes itself seriously, and a majority of the films are good films as opposed to being just superhero movies. There's no "boy meets girl" or patriarchal values, it's an ensemble of characters that are diverse enough so that many different people can relate to it.

sparty-dbq

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By sparty-dbq

I bought it right after work Friday and have been trying ever since to get it to play on my PlayStation 3.

IT WON'T FREAKING WORK!! D:

Avatar image for the_impersonator
    The Impersonator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 50

#17  Edited By The Impersonator
    No Caption Provided
    Avatar image for matter_and_existence
    Matter_and_Existence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Good Lord, what is this thing?

JPJordan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By JPJordan

bought the dvd the day it came out! I freakin loved this movie!

labarith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By labarith

Disney needs to buy back the rights ASAP. It was nice that there were 3 marvel movies to 1 DC movie this year, but... I could see Marvel Studios doing epic stuff with X-men.

Doing a real "First Class" movie with Scott + co would be pretty hot, even if they faux-utlimate-ized it.

But I'd still want Hugh Jackman for Wolverine...

-Vigil-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By -Vigil-

I thought it was gonna suck worse than X3, yet somehow it ended up being the best X-Men movie yet...

Lifeguard85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#22  Edited By Lifeguard85

I was disappointed they didn't do more with Emma, I was really hoping for an epic telepathic battle. I'm hoping if there is a sequel, that it is even darker and focuses more on Magneto and his group, where Emma ends up defecting to the X-Men or something by the end of the movie.

One_Eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By One_Eye

Yeah, I've still yet to see it and while the purist in me is aggravated at the thought of Cykes not being in the movie; it's comforting to know that this is an overall solid film. And as far as continuity goes, it's not as if the original films((Origins included))even did the franchise as a whole justice. So yeah... if anything the costumes actually grew on me to the point where I'm looking to make my own for cosplay and I'm eagerly awaiting a sequel and hope that my favorite mutants are featured.

oldgum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#24  Edited By oldgum

--What‘s the best X-men Movie?

--Next one.

shawn87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 602

User Lists: 11

#25  Edited By shawn87

I loved this movie. Even though it's not the true first class

Avatar image for mintberrycrunch
    MintBerryCrunch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By MintBerryCrunch

I don't see why they can't just add the extras to dvd as well!

Eyz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Eyz

DVD. At bargain price later on :P

Hey, I'm in no hurry to get my hands on this movie..but wait until you can find it super cheap! (I finally got Wolverine Origins...last week! Like, at 2 $!! XD)

LoganRogue24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By LoganRogue24

i think for the x-men films bryan singer has to be on board somehow cause 1 2 and fc were very good in my opion x-3 and wolverine not so much.

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 15

#29  Edited By Mercy_
    @Gambit1024

I've learned to give up on watching Fox's X-Men movies with fanboy expectations and just watching them as action movies. That being said, this movie was the best X-Men movie and the dude who played Magneto absolutely nailed that performance. I went to see Mags and Xavier kick ass and I left very very pleased. Great movie and I will definitely pick up the Blu-Ray.

QFT
    GrimoireMyst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By GrimoireMyst

I was wondering what this movie was like since I never watched it. lol

GreenFuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By GreenFuse

I plan on buying this blu-ray and Thor. This was definitely my favorite X-Men film. I think my favorite stuff was just seeing Xavier so active lol. He was comatose, mind-screwed, and atomized in the other films. I was so anticipating a battle between him and Emma though. Disappointed that didn't happen.  Erik was awesome too. Most interesting character in the film. Fassbender nailed it.

AlKusanagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By AlKusanagi

I was thinking that a 70s sequel would be a good idea, with an all new class each decade:

60s- First Class

70s- Giant Sized X-men

80s- New Mutants

90s and beyond- too many to choose from...

Queso6p4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

User Lists: 21

#33  Edited By Queso6p4

I bought this on amazon the same day that it was available and love it! The music was particularly powerful as was the dynamic between McAvoy's Xavier and Fassbender's Magneto. As a child of the 80s (and a lifelong fan of Magneto), their conflict/relationship was pivotal in my reading of X-Men so it was great seeing some light shed on this in a 2011 film. Like another has said, I did find the inclusion/portrayal of Moira strange and unwarranted but it didn't really take away from the film and Bacon's villainous portrayal was top-notch (albeit I've never been a fan of Shaw). The special features for this movie make it tons of fun to watch over and over again. Great article and review.

@HexThis: I completely agree with your opinion on the X-Men and Batman (with the notable exception of Batman & Robin :) ) film franchises. It's refreshing to see comic adaptations do well as films in of themselves. I'd rather them be good, solid movies than flail and try to adhere to comic continuity and fan servicing.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.