Follow

X-Men

Team » X-Men appears in 13416 issues.

The X-Men are a superhero team of mutants founded by Professor Charles Xavier. They are dedicated to helping fellow mutants and sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them.

Recent X-Men Subjects (Spoilers)

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Koays  Online

Because there's so much going on with the X-Books (and because @adamtrmm hasn't done one in a while) I thought i make one of these for the big X-men week that we are having.

You know the rules- Discuss your opinions on this weeks huge X-title list (and/or the latest issue of any other X-titles you may be reading).

THIS WEEK-

All New X-Men -30

Amazing X-Men -10

Nightcrawler - 5

X-Force- 8

X-Men- 18

Wolverine and the X-Men-7

Wolverine - 11

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    (Other recent issues)

All New X-factor- 11

Cyclops- 3

Doop- 4 (why not)

Magneto - 7

Storm-1

Uncanny X-Men - 24

(A bit of a cop out i havn't picked up a couple of these books but I'll be back with my opinions as soon as i finished Amazing and X-Force)

Avatar image for deactivated-5e385ee5c8c54
    deactivated-5e385ee5c8c54

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

well the jean and emma thing was really kinda meh...

Psy_chrometer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The only comic my husband (well EX) been reading was UA. The one with the red guy who seem to be taking over Profesor x's brain. I thought that was cruel for writer to do something like this. I need to catch up with so many but it will take me time to do so. But im gonna try with Magneto first because I want to see how this guy is playing there and because my ex liked him. I do too. Just curious of the incarnation. Din't know there was a Storm book.

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By adamTRMM

@koays:

I thought I lost the credibility and right (*drop the pathos dude!* lol) to make those threads the second I've turned into a critic more than I'm a fan. Really, most of the time I'm displeased and I'm only reading three low-selling books, spreading negativity and generally having a feeling of mostly irritating people with any mean necessary!

*we love you Adam!*

Lol seriously, it's just that three infamous books and I'll give Guggenheim a try with the XX-men today, so I'll update soon enough (not a promise though ;))

Lateralus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

well the jean and emma thing was really kinda meh...

I think Magik said it best "That is the scariest thing I have ever heard, and I grew up in Hell. Literally."

But yeah, the entire issue was kinda meh. Nothing really happened, it just closed the gap to where Uncanny was already at.

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Koays  Online

THIS WEEK-

All New X-Men #30 - This was pretty freaking awesome. While this issue has a lot of the problems that the series over all has had, especially with regards to furthering the storylines; this is very good for character development within the series. Emma vs Jean is a great character moment for both of them and sort of sums up their rivalry neatly. We also see intermingling of the two cast in a way that feels extremely natural and makes you want to see more of the group together....which considering how long they've at the base is something that we should've gotten much sooner. Personally this was 4/5 issue and arguably one of the best issues of this book in my opinion. Also it's easily accessible and pretty isolated so i think that anyone with some change to spare might wanna pick this up....if only to see Emma get some real character time.

Amazing X-Men #10-N/A

Nightcrawler #5- I'll admit I'm probably done with this series with this issue but i really enjoyed all of Nightcrawlers parts of the story. I like whenever the JGS is shown doing traditional X-Men stuff and Nightcrawlers reminiscing never gets old as we begin to see that he may be a bit shell-shocked from his experiences. That said, i could care less about the villains presented and what ever interest i had in the New Mutant won't be enough to make me comeback for another arc with strange mystery villains.

X-Force #8- N/A

X-Men #18- The preview got me interested enough to look back at Rise and Fall, and this issue is going to make me try to track down the X-Men parts of Kingbreaker again. They very much brought Rachel to the forefront and even if I wasn't such a fan of hers i'd be happy to enjoy it. It does sort of give you whiplash to have the focus ripped from Jubilee when she had been on such a major development path, but the story is very solid all the way across. All around it's more solid throughout then a Wood issue would be, but it will take time to see if it can surpass the better parts of his run. *Also, it may be early to call but i'm sensing alot of Whedon-esque style for this run....though it may just be the inclusion of Brand. 4/5

Wolverine and the X-men # 7 - The art..... It seems that there building toward Wolverines demise and the weight that that will carry on the series. The art though...... Idie has some good interactions with Storm, that i think really got the character back on track to where she really should be, though i think it might be a little backwards considering she had gotten past some of these developments at the end of the last run. Though i think i'll accept it as i wasn't exactly happy with Aaron's way of moving her past that. On the art...Um, I like Daredevil's bits, though i'm curious exactly where this girl with Logan was featured. THE ART THOUGH....idk, the art is terrible. At first i thought it was just the way they were depicting Idie, as she's been depicted as unattractive before, but Storm looks like Mr. Potato head in any seen that shows her full face. It is horribly distracting and i'm not a person who usually pays attention to art. 2.5/5

Wolverine #11- N/A

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Koays  Online

@adamtrmm said:

@koays:

I thought I lost the credibility and right (*drop the pathos dude!* lol) to make those threads the second I've turned into a critic more than I'm a fan. Really, most of the time I'm displeased and I'm only reading three low-selling books, spreading negativity and generally having a feeling of mostly irritating people with any mean necessary!

*we love you Adam!*

Lol seriously, it's just that three infamous books and I'll give Guggenheim a try with the XX-men today, so I'll update soon enough (not a promise though ;))

Lol it's 2014, idk if their is much distinction between fans and critics...plus i think it makes people seem less irritating when you see their opinion on an issue by issue basis then with them just saying "The whole thing sucks". Plus what's a comicbook forum without people arguing quality.

Lol still, i'd give Guggenheim a try this week, especially if you enjoyed Rise and fall/Kingbreaker.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays:

"All New X-Men #30 - This was pretty freaking awesome. While this issue has a lot of the problems that the series over all has had, especially with regards to furthering the storylines; this is very good for character development within the series. Emma vs Jean is a great character moment for both of them and sort of sums up their rivalry neatly. We also see intermingling of the two cast in a way that feels extremely natural and makes you want to see more of the group together....which considering how long they've at the base is something that we should've gotten much sooner. Personally this was 4/5 issue and arguably one of the best issues of this book in my opinion. Also it's easily accessible and pretty isolated so i think that anyone with some change to spare might wanna pick this up....if only to see Emma get some real character time."

Their rivalry is something very deep seeded and very heavy. I liked the build up and the taunting but geez the way it was wrapped up. They had a psychic battle/talk of which we know nothing of what happened and suddenly they are friends and have bonded. wth

and btw how was emma projecting those images in jean's head and did they have a psychic battle? There was nothing to suggest Emma was tapping into the cuckoos TP lol so confusing

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Koays  Online

@martinceld: Well from what we've seen of Emma in Age of Ultron and Original Sins she does have some psychic power left it just really limited and inconsistent.

Lol the build up was great, and it was significant part of the issue so i enjoyed it. But I sort of knew we wouldn't get a real ending, Jean is on a crazy power creep and Emma is limited in her own power...if one were to beat the other there would be a huge backlash and it wouldn't really contribute much. I thought it was great and if the only other way i could see it playing out was the way Jean said it would, and then it would've been cliche.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays: I am not talking about it being a tie or that no one beat each other, im talking about 2 characters that have such a vile history between them just stare at each other in a "psychic battle" then suddenly, without showing us what happened, they have a good laugh and walk away as buddies. I really didn't like it. When jean manifested herself as the older jean I was expecting some great confrontation or something like that but no, all that great build up just for some cheesy and unexplained ending/reconciliation

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Koays  Online

@martinceld: I did't expect them to have the same level of confrontation as has been hyped for years because Teen Jean isn't the Jean that Emma had a problem with. Emma doesn't see them as the same person so the confrontation would look silly for Emma to vent all her frustrations on a teenager. For her it was just about training Jean. I fully expect that should Jean Grey return in one form or another Emma and her will have a real showdown but this Jean is just a girl.

Avatar image for oldnightcrawler
    oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

@koays said:

THIS WEEK-

X-Men #18- The preview got me interested enough to look back at Rise and Fall, and this issue is going to make me try to track down the X-Men parts of Kingbreaker again. They very much brought Rachel to the forefront and even if I wasn't such a fan of hers i'd be happy to enjoy it. It does sort of give you whiplash to have the focus ripped from Jubilee when she had been on such a major development path, but the story is very solid all the way across. All around it's more solid throughout then a Wood issue would be, but it will take time to see if it can surpass the better parts of his run. *Also, it may be early to call but i'm sensing alot of Whedon-esque style for this run....though it may just be the inclusion of Brand. 4/5

Wolverine and the X-men # 7 - The art..... It seems that there building toward Wolverines demise and the weight that that will carry on the series. The art though...... Idie has some good interactions with Storm, that i think really got the character back on track to where she really should be, though i think it might be a little backwards considering she had gotten past some of these developments at the end of the last run. Though i think i'll accept it as i wasn't exactly happy with Aaron's way of moving her past that. On the art...Um, I like Daredevil's bits, though i'm curious exactly where this girl with Logan was featured. THE ART THOUGH....idk, the art is terrible. At first i thought it was just the way they were depicting Idie, as she's been depicted as unattractive before, but Storm looks like Mr. Potato head in any seen that shows her full face. It is horribly distracting and i'm not a person who usually pays attention to art. 2.5/5

X-Men #18 -totally went into this book with no expectations, having never read Guggenheim's work before and not generally being a fan of the X-men in space, but this is probably one of the most satisfying issues of any X-men book in quite a while. Having the first two pages be essentially re-drawn pages from another comic I've already read put me off at first, but it does play into the story in a relevant way. And I can't help but feel that be making reference to a sort of more obscure X-men story was Guggenheim's way of saying "don't worry, I know these characters; I've done my homework" (much like Whedon did at the start of his run), so it was at least reassuring.

And beyond the first two pages was just fantastic. Some of the richest storytelling, intrigue, action, and character beats we've seen in a while. And it was pretty cool to see the team all working off each other in a more focused and balanced way than we've seen. I really felt like this cast could be something special, and in this issue they really are. Also liked how Brand and Beast were used in this (and are they teasing that Brand's getting a new boyfriend?), as well as Cecilia. Though it does seem weird that they would get her for the role they had her in, since I'd never heard of her having any particular expertise with alien physiology, but it's still pretty great to see her working with this team, so I can let that go.

There were a few things I could be critical of, like how Monet seemed a bit out of character, but at least she's starting to play off the rest of the group, which is good. Tolibao's surface style is a bit weird to me, but I still think the art was very solid. I'd give this issue a 9.5 or 10/10 (which I almost never do); just really great stuff all around.

Wolverine & the X-Men #7 - No Future? Part 1 -I think you totally hit the nail on the head with this one; while there were some good character moments, especially with Oya, and a bit with Armor, it didn't seem like much really happened. What did happen might have been interesting enough for an issue, but I felt like the sloppy and unpleasing artwork made me not spend very long on each page, making the whole thing seem pretty rushed. I couldn't give this issue more than a 5/10.

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Koays  Online

@koays said:

THIS WEEK-

X-Men #18 -totally went into this book with no expectations, having never read Guggenheim's work before and not generally being a fan of the X-men in space, but this is probably one of the most satisfying issues of any X-men book in quite a while. Having the first two pages be essentially re-drawn pages from another comic I've already read put me off at first, but it does play into the story in a relevant way. And I can't help but feel that be making reference to a sort of more obscure X-men story was Guggenheim's way of saying "don't worry, I know these characters; I've done my homework" (much like Whedon did at the start of his run), so it was at least reassuring.

And beyond the first two pages was just fantastic. Some of the richest storytelling, intrigue, action, and character beats we've seen in a while. And it was pretty cool to see the team all working off each other in a more focused and balanced way than we've seen. I really felt like this cast could be something special, and in this issue they really are. Also liked how Brand and Beast were used in this (and are they teasing that Brand's getting a new boyfriend?), as well as Cecilia. Though it does seem weird that they would get her for the role they had her in, since I'd never heard of her having any particular expertise with alien physiology, but it's still pretty great to see her working with this team, so I can let that go.

There were a few things I could be critical of, like how Monet seemed a bit out of character, but at least she's starting to play off the rest of the group, which is good. Tolibao's surface style is a bit weird to me, but I still think the art was very solid. I'd give this issue a 9.5 or 10/10 (which I almost never do); just really great stuff all around.

Wolverine & the X-Men #7 - No Future? Part 1 -I think you totally hit the nail on the head with this one; while there were some good character moments, especially with Oya, and a bit with Armor, it didn't seem like much really happened. What did happen might have been interesting enough for an issue, but I felt like the sloppy and unpleasing artwork made me not spend very long on each page, making the whole thing seem pretty rushed. I couldn't give this issue more than a 5/10.

I sort of felt Jubilee was more out of character then Monet, as she seemingly regressed from maturing mother/veteran X-member back to the sassy wise cracking kid. I'm hoping that they'll keep her development from Wood since i was interested in her search for her place within the team and i'd hate for it to be back where her character started.

The Jubilee stuff was probably my only issue an its not much to judge. They worked really hard to convince us that Cecilia belonged there(instead of maybe Beast) and i kind of just assumed that her background came from being on a team with Warbird. I loved how, intentional or not, the team seems to have gone from bickering over command, to working together in a crisis, to this well oiled machine over the last three arcs. It's going to be interesting to see where this team goes, though i agree with you in that i'd prefer if maybe they didn't stay space too long.

WatX- Honestly hoping this book does turn around because it's finally got some much needed direction. And i'm interested in the impact Quires departure is seemingly having on the cast....It just seems like if its not one thing it's another with this book. And i'm in awe at how someone looked at the artwork an approved it for release because some of this is just lazy...and there were three artist!

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays said:

I sort of felt Jubilee was more out of character then Monet, as she seemingly regressed from maturing mother/veteran X-member back to the sassy wise cracking kid. I'm hoping that they'll keep her development from Wood since i was interested in her search for her place within the team and i'd hate for it to be back where her character started.

I hadn't really noticed with Jubilee so much, I guess because that just seems like classic Jubilee to me, so not really out of character. But I do totally agree about them hopefully keeping Wood's developments as well.

The Jubilee stuff was probably my only issue an its not much to judge. They worked really hard to convince us that Cecilia belonged there(instead of maybe Beast) and i kind of just assumed that her background came from being on a team with Warbird. I loved how, intentional or not, the team seems to have gone from bickering over command, to working together in a crisis, to this well oiled machine over the last three arcs. It's going to be interesting to see where this team goes, though i agree with you in that i'd prefer if maybe they didn't stay space too long.

oh, yeah I totally forgot about her being on that team with Warbird, good catch. Totally agree about the team dynamic, I can really see this team becoming one of my favorites if they keep this kind of character momentum.

I'm always saying I don't like X-men in space, and generally I don't, but I've been loving Cyclops' new book, and I consider Unstoppableone of my favorite arcs of all time; with this book I'm ready to admit that I'll take X-men in space if it means that the stories are good.

WatX- Honestly hoping this book does turn around because it's finally got some much needed direction. And i'm interested in the impact Quires departure is seemingly having on the cast....It just seems like if its not one thing it's another with this book. And i'm in awe at how someone looked at the artwork an approved it for release because some of this is just lazy...and there were three artist!

yeah, i feel like the book had such a strong start, but this is the 2nd issue in a row that hasn't done it for me; if the art in the next issue isn't decent I probably won't get it.

LordMordor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By LordMordor

@koays:

I agree, Emma has had some off-hand comments about or towards Jean...but that's honestly just Emma, its how she is. We haven't seen anything resembling the bitterness that existed between adult jean and Emma (though even that isn't as bad as people think). For Emma I think, this really was completely about teaching, her methods have always involved pushing her students and challenging their own boundaries. Teen Jean doesn't know Emma, and thought she was out to get her.

Now im just waiting on the cliché and likely inevitable chats between the two gossiping and joking about Scott

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays said:

Lol it's 2014, idk if their is much distinction between fans and critics...plus i think it makes people seem less irritating when you see their opinion on an issue by issue basis then with them just saying "The whole thing sucks". Plus what's a comicbook forum without people arguing quality.

Lol still, i'd give Guggenheim a try this week, especially if you enjoyed Rise and fall/Kingbreaker.

Well, true that.

I did intend to give Guggenheim a try, I just couldn't promise it'll be "soon enough" ;)

Anyways:

X-Force - Spurrier strikes back and does it with a unique stylization we already accustomed to enjoy from issue to issue. I like those subtle ironies he never misses to accentuate like he did with the military crew ("the big guy, the fast guy, the mysterious one and the token whatever" lol), through point of action of which the narrative was following the story. Oh, the narrative :) Even though I find Hope irredeemable after she offered herself to Fantomex (what?!) within her digital world to have some Matrisex, it was still fun to follow her taking the role of the reporter too literally. Another nice moment is the outside perception of our protagonists professionalism and effectiveness, somewhat except for Marrow lol The idea of taking the X-force into the real-world relevances as Middle East crisis, military affairs, arms race and global black marketing via superhuman, especially mutant, perspective is an intention I absolutely admire the writer for taking.

I have nothing else to say besides I'm waiting for more :)

X-Men - I won't verbalize to much **********spoilers************ Is it Vulcan's?!

Djainess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays said:

THIS WEEK-

All New X-Men #30 - This was pretty freaking awesome. While this issue has a lot of the problems that the series over all has had, especially with regards to furthering the storylines; this is very good for character development within the series. Emma vs Jean is a great character moment for both of them and sort of sums up their rivalry neatly. We also see intermingling of the two cast in a way that feels extremely natural and makes you want to see more of the group together....which considering how long they've at the base is something that we should've gotten much sooner. Personally this was 4/5 issue and arguably one of the best issues of this book in my opinion. Also it's easily accessible and pretty isolated so i think that anyone with some change to spare might wanna pick this up....if only to see Emma get some real character time.

I agree with this. While I didn't like what Bendis was doing with Laura's character in the beginning, I'm now glad he took this direction. It's great to see become more like a person rather than a killing machine.

I'm wondering though, since when do the Cuckoos have telekinetic powers? Never knew this...

(this post might get updated when I read my other issues, don't have a lot of time currently...)

tomasmaclgh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All New X-Men #30 - I completely disagree with Bendis' portrayal of X-23. I was squeamish about him having her in one of his books, and now my fear is confirmed.
    The way he dealt with the Frost/Grey relationship, I actually have to applaud; simple and elegant.

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Koays  Online

@koays said:

I hadn't really noticed with Jubilee so much, I guess because that just seems like classic Jubilee to me, so not really out of character. But I do totally agree about them hopefully keeping Wood's developments as well.

oh, yeah I totally forgot about her being on that team with Warbird, good catch. Totally agree about the team dynamic, I can really see this team becoming one of my favorites if they keep this kind of character momentum.

I'm always saying I don't like X-men in space, and generally I don't, but I've been loving Cyclops' new book, and I consider Unstoppableone of my favorite arcs of all time; with this book I'm ready to admit that I'll take X-men in space if it means that the stories are good.

yeah, i feel like the book had such a strong start, but this is the 2nd issue in a row that hasn't done it for me; if the art in the next issue isn't decent I probably won't get it.

Don't quote me on the Warbird thing, Idk if she was ever in a situation where she was injured badly or studied by Cecilia during Astonishing X-Men though as you say lets just be glad she's getting so much exposure.

On space X-Men. Idk the reason i'm probably not as on board with the Cyclops solo as everyone else is because it's so far removed from the X-Men's usual things. Most of the X-Men space stories are older and you have to remember people who came to earth to fight them,plus Marvel space politics are hard to figure out on top of it all. So while i'm excited to see Deathbird i'm pretty sure this can go either way if they end up on the Shiar homeworld this could go either way with me.

WatX- Agreed. I was already on the fence for just getting this one.

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Koays  Online

@tomasmaclgh: I'm pretty much on the same page. Didn't like X-23's portrayal, maybe with a little more ease into this characterization i would've accepted it. But now it just seems like standard X-Men bedhopping(regardless of what may or may not have happened)....which i'm not interested in. Still though, it didn't damage the great issue of the book for me this issue and I'm usually down on the book. Though i think long run this may be a mistake to have so little in the way of story being told, even with good interactions.

@djainess: Lol totally didn't catch that the Cuckoo's are levitating things now. Though i guess they did say they were "evolving" when they first came to the school. And considering their origins it's entirely possible. X-23 I'll agree that it's been a direction she's been zigzaging alot since her solo but I think they could've been a little slower in showing how Angel and not Hellion, Gambit, Wolverine or any of the others at the Avengers Academy or JGS could bring this out of her.

@adamtrmm: X-Force did appear legitimately scary in this issue. The scenes with Psylocke especially appeared brutally efficient and organized. I like the stylistic choices this author makes when not telling a standard story so that it stands out alot more then any of the other X-Force books do as a well rounded book. COMPLETELY AGREED on the subject of Hope and Fantomex....it needs to die quickly.

X-Men- Either that or Thanos?

@lordmordor: Yea. I think Emma only initially had resentment towards Jean that turned full born hatred by the time the Cuckoo's Origin was revealed. Either way I see her either getting over it or not seeing young Jean as anything other then a student who needs guidance...if it pads her ego that she's now a mentor to her greatest rival so be it, but this wasnt about a reckoning between the two characters.

And I'll give Bendis his credit, he did avoid the many cliches he could've gone for in this issue, and even called out one of them.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Amazing X-Men- Lol, idk if this books intention is to just show the crazy sci fi adventures of the X-Men while they do crazy awesome things but....Colossus through Wolverine and I laughed hard thinking about Emma telling him He" ...can't throw people at all of his problems". And that wasn't even the most awesome character moment. Northstar looked awesome, Storm made me chuckle with her pragmatism, and Rockslide....just Rockslide. The only way this can get better is if it ends with the X-Men walking out of the Canadian border with a huge explosion at their back.

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Xmen #18- This was a great issue. The character interaction and the further development of the team working together was awesome. It was great to walk away from reading the book feeling like the writer has actually read Xmen before and feels that some sort of continuity is important. Cant wait for the next installment. Is Vulcan the father or is it someone/something else? Looking forward to this.

All New Xmen #30- Once again i dont get the praise for this book. Nothing happens in this series and frankly , maybe its just me but, really the O5 need to go back. This premise is really ridiculous and Bendis is completely destroying one of my favorite characters in X-23. It would have been ok as a story arc but this tour around the Marvel u and the obvious pushing of GOTG is really getting old. At least for me and maybe Im the only one. At this point if they want to continue this book why not send the O5 home and follow their adventures in that timeline. Almost retelling some of the old stories similar to the Ultimate line, which, say what you will had a long run. I've dropped this book from my pull list as really I cant justify spending money on this.

Amazing Xmen #10- While I have faith in Kyle and Yost, this arc has been somewhat... meh to me. But then again most openeing arcs are. Im hoping they can hit their stride soon. I think the thing that turns me off to Amazing Xmen is the inclusion of Northstar and Firestar. Never been a fan of either. Not saying I wont give them a chance but I dont know. This book has got to pick up soon. I wish we could mandate that anytime a new book launches or is relaunched/ under a new writer/creative team the 1st arc should be released in a way similar to how they do the events with an issue every week or two just to gain its footing quickly. I think books would benefit from this and the readers could certainly get a sense of the writer and whats going on.

Xforce #8- Spurrier continues to be one of the better if not best writers currently on Xmen related books. When I read Spurrier I get the feeling Im reading Claremont again. Taking the team to the middle east was cool. For some reason this made me want to see Xforce crossover with one of the Avenger books (Mighty Avengers, Uncanny Avengers, secret Avengers, New Avengers). My only problem with this book is some of the art and the inclusion of Fantomex. Please kill him off once and for all. Thanks alot Morrison.

WATX #7- a friend of mine at the comic book store said this was the issue to read and that i was completely wrong in my recent assessments of this series. So i sat there in the store and read it and..... what a waste!!! I dont know what to say about this other than im glad to be saving my money on it. So if I understand correctly, we gotten an arc centered on the Phoenix and time travel and now we are seeing an attempt to join the continuity from the solo? Idie has gone back to the Schism and Generation hope stuff now? And the art was absolutely terrible. I know i'll probably catch flack for this but it seems finally we got rid of the plague that is Quire and all the focus being on his character and now they bring back what, not even mutants now. I know some love and swear by Broo and Kid Gladiator but really? The school should be about protecting mutants and helping them develop their powers to use for good. Instead they seem to be competing with Avengers Academy or some bad world of tomorrow attraction at Epcot back in the day. Just bring back the X-mansion and get rid of the ridiculousness with the Krakoas and floating school rooms and all. And Doop and Fantomex- talk about from bad to worst.

Wolverine #11- Not reading this book. I will pick up the Death of Wolverine stuff but as I understand it, thats from a different writer.

All new Xfactor #11- Another awesome book. PAD is in a class of his own. I have never been sure about his premises for his teams. The detective agency and now this with the corporate team. However this guy can teach the so-called more main stream writers about character interaction. My only criticism of his current book is the inclusion of Danger and Warlock. I know thats blasphemy but never been a fan of either from the start and always found the basis for the characters a bit of a bad reach. It would have been so cool to have Sage and Moonstar in that spot with maybe even Bishop and Dazzler. But thats more of a preference and wish for those characters to be written by PAD.

Cyclops #3- Not reading this book. Again the premise.

Doop #4- Seriously?!!! No way in hell.

Magneto #7- Another of the best reads out there. Im generally not a fan of solos and felt that this story would have been awesome in Xforce or would have been amazing as part of Uncanny Xmen, actually helping that book even more. But this series is everything I could hope for with only a few small minor glitches. This issue just adds to that thought.

Storm #1- Great opening issue. I hate we have to wait a month for the next. They really should speed up to release schedule for new books like this. Again not really a fan of the solos and feel that this story would be great as part of either Xmen or Amazing Xmen. Its earl but Pak is a good writer imo and look forward to more from him on this book.

Uncanny Xmen #24- I know some are optimistic about this. But really I feel its a further attempt at destroying Xavier and yet another gimmick. It just seems everything is meant solely to change up things instead of just telling good stories. I keep hearing that Bendis is laying the groundwork for big things but how many years is going to spend laying groundwork?!! It took us 20 something issues to find out Dark Beast was doing stuff being the scenes and then.... what. As far as the inherent optimism some have, I would refer you to any forum to read the reaction to his Avengers run. If the payout was worth it then I could understand but..... yeah.

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays said:

X-Force did appear legitimately scary in this issue. The scenes with Psylocke especially appeared brutally efficient and organized. I like the stylistic choices this author makes when not telling a standard story so that it stands out alot more then any of the other X-Force books do as a well rounded book. COMPLETELY AGREED on the subject of Hope and Fantomex....it needs to die quickly.

Yeah, the whole previous issue was weird. Betsy hitting on Cable, Hope on Fantomex and kinda the same with Nemesis and Marrow, though I couldn't figure out who was hitting on whom there lol Office affairs taken to the extreme I'd say.

Thanos? 0_o That panel of her flashbacks kinda bothered me with the absence of Vulcan btw >->

@hawk2916:

You read all those Avengers books?

Totally forgot about Amazing X-men this week though.

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Koays  Online

@hawk2916: WatX- Totally didnt realize it, but it really is the same "change our dark future" framing device as Avengers Academy. This book could greatly benefit if they left the future talk alone. But i thought that in Oya's case what their doing works alot better then just continuing the ill defined character developments from Aaron's run.

All New X-Men- As an overall view of the series i completely agree with you. Especially in regards to the lack of any direction for this series. It has interesting interactions...but that's rare and that's it. As for this issue, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that anyone can enjoy the story in this issue. The X-23 stuff aside, there's little downside in the interaction between Emma and Teen Jean. It may have been the best issue of the book and i say that knowing full well that the next issues will feature Ultimate Spiderman and will potentially be the most pointless story the book has had yet....which is funny when you realize what they'd have to top.

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Koays  Online

@adamtrmm said:
    @koays said:

X-Force did appear legitimately scary in this issue. The scenes with Psylocke especially appeared brutally efficient and organized. I like the stylistic choices this author makes when not telling a standard story so that it stands out alot more then any of the other X-Force books do as a well rounded book. COMPLETELY AGREED on the subject of Hope and Fantomex....it needs to die quickly.

Yeah, the whole previous issue was weird. Betsy hitting on Cable, Hope on Fantomex and kinda the same with Nemesis and Marrow, though I couldn't figure out who was hitting on whom there lol Office affairs taken to the extreme I'd say.

Thanos? 0_o That panel of her flashbacks kinda bothered me with the absence of Vulcan btw >->

I guess in a way you can't have an X-Force book without controversial hook ups, but still....no one came out of that issue looking good...except maybe Nemesis and Marrow...that strangely worked.

Idk it's marvel in space and everything seems to be tying into GotG anyway so why not Thanos *shrug*. I think their trying to deflect the obvious suspicion off of him. But idk if their are any other characters that it could be except Gladiator.

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays said:

@adamtrmm said:
    @koays said:

I guess in a way you can't have an X-Force book without controversial hook ups, but still....no one came out of that issue looking good...except maybe Nemesis and Marrow...that strangely worked.

Idk it's marvel in space and everything seems to be tying into GotG anyway so why not Thanos *shrug*. I think their trying to deflect the obvious suspicion off of him. But idk if their are any other characters that it could be except Gladiator.

maybe I'm the only one who remembers this, and maybe I'm remembering it wrong, but wasn't it revealed at one point that there were actually two Deathbirds?

Like, I thought it was revealed that the one that used to fight Carol Danvers (who featured especially prominently in her mindscape) back in the day was actually a clone or something of the one that the X-men fought... if that's the case, who's to say which Deathbird has been in which stories, which may be part of what this story plans to resolve.

If I'm even close to right about this, hats off to Guggenheim for picking up on a story so obscure that even I almost forgot about it.

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Koays  Online

@koays said:

@adamtrmm said:
    @koays said:

maybe I'm the only one who remembers this, and maybe I'm remembering it wrong, but wasn't it revealed at one point that there were actually two Deathbirds?

Like, I thought it was revealed that the one that used to fight Carol Danvers (who featured especially prominently in her mindscape) back in the day was actually a clone or something of the one that the X-men fought... if that's the case, who's to say which Deathbird has been in which stories, which may be part of what this story plans to resolve.

If I'm even close to right about this, hats off to Guggenheim for picking up on a story so obscure that even I almost forgot about it.

Idk do you remember where or when it was featured? From what i remember their was no chance of recovery the last time we saw Deathbird when Lilandra crippled her, so it would explain why she doesn't have that issue this time around.

Guggenheim using Deathbird at all deserves credit(which we all appear to be giving) just for opening his story with something that wasn't from the top of the X-Men's toy bin.

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays:

lol agreed. They were kinda sweet.

Ha got your point there.

She was comatose last time she was seen, it would be immoral of her to hook up with someone else so quickly ;) I guess we'll have to wait for the answers next issue.

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By adamTRMM

@koays said:

@oldnightcrawler said:

Idk do you remember where or when it was featured? From what i remember their was no chance of recovery the last time we saw Deathbird when Lilandra crippled her, so it would explain why she doesn't have that issue this time around.

Guggenheim using Deathbird at all deserves credit(which we all appear to be giving) just for opening his story with something that wasn't from the top of the X-Men's toy bin.

I only remember her becoming a Horseman and having an affair with Bishop, which also wasn't really acknowledged during her time with Vulcan.

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@adamtrmm said:

I only remember her becoming a Horseman and having an affair with Bishop, which also wasn't really acknowledged during her time with Vulcan.

well, neither Bishop nor Vulcan are shown in her memories, only Ms.Marvel, Lilandra, and the X-men, so maybe this isn't the Deathbird that's Rachel's aunt? But even then, it's hard to say which Deathbird was in what story..

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays: Like I said, for me personally, the premise just doesnt do it. The constant reliance on time travel and Jean Grey being the catalyst for everything xmen related is just tiresome to me. I honestly could see myself getting into this if they went back to their time and Marvel decided to retell some of the stories from the old days, of course maybe cleaning up a few. Of course this would most likely be yet another alternate reality but it would be more acceptable than this. Let Bendis have all his fun tinkering with everything and "changing" the Marvel U to the wonderful wide world of Bendis, in his own universe. This way maybe the guy can just focus on telling good stories instead trying to put his so-called stamp on everything

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oldnightcrawler:

Lol I've never though about it are you sure about the second Deathbird?

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@adamtrmm said:

@oldnightcrawler:

Lol I've never though about it are you sure about the second Deathbird?

like I said, I'm not completely sure because I can't even remember where I read that, but apparently the one that fought Carol Danvers in the old Ms. Marvel series was a different character from the one in X-men, somehow, but I don't remember.

maybe v_scarlotte_rose would know?

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By HAWK2916

@adamtrmm: The only one I dont really read is Secret Avengers but I keep up with it. I trade wait Mighty Avengers. But Avengers, New Avengers, and Uncanny Avengers are definitely on my pull list

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Koays  Online

@hawk2916: Hey i'm with you. The book is a sinking ship of underwhelming and unwanted plot devices. But if you get pass the premise it fails on a story telling level as well. The book is going no where, and is filled with whiny teenage angst....which would be perfectly acceptable if the premise wasn't that they were here to some how change our terrible future. But it is and they've done nothing to change what's wrong with the world or to effect the world at all. Their just being teenagers.....no plot, no direction, just random adventures and whining about the future they're doing nothing to change or improve.

All that said this was a good issue. The first since the beginning of the run for many reasons, and out of context it just works. It shows Bendis has talent...it's just not the talent we need...or want in the X-Men where the smallest changes do better then most.

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By adamTRMM

@hawk2916:

Hickman is a hit or miss writer, some of his concepts are incredible, some are just too much, almost Bendis style. But certainly he is a gifted sci-fi story-teller with an impressive amount of believable pseudo-science, yet his time-travel/alt.reality typical Marvel overdose doesn't make things any better. Makes we wonder how he would be doing on an X-title.

I'd kill for a crossover of Magneto, X-force and X-factor though :p

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@adamtrmm: Yea i tend to agree with you on that. I would certainly prefer him on the X-titles over Bendis right now though. Also he's shown he does a little better with a larger cast than Fraction ordefinitely Aaron did. Im not saying he's great because , he is hit or miss, but he seems to respect continuity and it just doesnt feel like his sole purpose in writing is just to change everything and piss off the fans

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays said:

@hawk2916: WatX- Totally didnt realize it, but it really is the same "change our dark future" framing device as Avengers Academy. This book could greatly benefit if they left the future talk alone. But i thought that in Oya's case what their doing works alot better then just continuing the ill defined character developments from Aaron's run.

All New X-Men- As an overall view of the series i completely agree with you. Especially in regards to the lack of any direction for this series. It has interesting interactions...but that's rare and that's it. As for this issue, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that anyone can enjoy the story in this issue. The X-23 stuff aside, there's little downside in the interaction between Emma and Teen Jean. It may have been the best issue of the book and i say that knowing full well that the next issues will feature Ultimate Spiderman and will potentially be the most pointless story the book has had yet....which is funny when you realize what they'd have to top.

The point you made about the Jean grey-Emma Frost interaction was a valid one, if for nothing more than that it wasnt a psychic fight really but a come to Jesus or in Marvel's case Jean if you will lol. Though i didnt care much for all that transpired, something that came out that was a bit profound I felt, was the discovery or reestablishing of who Emma's true love is. Maybe there's a future for them down the road.

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By adamTRMM

@hawk2916 said:

Yea i tend to agree with you on that. I would certainly prefer him on the X-titles over Bendis right now though. Also he's shown he does a little better with a larger cast than Fraction ordefinitely Aaron did. Im not saying he's great because , he is hit or miss, but he seems to respect continuity and it just doesnt feel like his sole purpose in writing is just to change everything and piss off the fans

I think it's obvious he wants to write some X-stuff for sure, it was heavily hinted in his New Avengers - in one reality they have a statue of Magneto, another has a sphinx with Apocalypse's face, every single alt. reality Illuminati had Xavier/Magneto/Emma or some of them together, hell, there was even a reality where the only backstory we're given is about some mutant crisis that drives them to live separately under Magneto's rule. I would be totally intrigued about Hickman writing an X-title and pray he is about to hit and not to miss. But if he does miss, he will mess up everything lol

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@adamtrmm said:

@hawk2916 said:

Yea i tend to agree with you on that. I would certainly prefer him on the X-titles over Bendis right now though. Also he's shown he does a little better with a larger cast than Fraction ordefinitely Aaron did. Im not saying he's great because , he is hit or miss, but he seems to respect continuity and it just doesnt feel like his sole purpose in writing is just to change everything and piss off the fans

I think it's obvious he wants to write some X-stuff for sure, it was heavily hinted in his New Avengers - in one reality they have a statue of Magneto, another has a sphinx with Apocalypse's face, every single alt. reality Illuminati had Xavier/Magneto/Emma or some of them together, hell, there was even a reality where the only backstory we're given is about some mutant crisis that drives them to live separately under Magneto's rule. I would be totally intrigued about Hickman writing an X-title and pray he is about to hit and not to miss. But if he does miss, he will mess up everything lol

are you guys talking about Hickman? I only know his stuff from New Avengers (vol.3) and the first 14 issues of Avengers (vol.5), but based on those I'd be the opposite of interested in seeing him do the X-men.

When I try to imagine what his X-men would be like, I picture it being like Fraction's run in slow-motion, but with less personality.

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By adamTRMM

@oldnightcrawler:

True, his stories are pushed mostly by the plot instead of personalities, but like I said, some of his concepts/science-fic are just really great and I'd be kinda interested to see him integrating this stuff into the current awful condition of the X-comics.

Lightblaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm only reading Magneto, XForce, and WATXM so far. They all seem good to me and now I'm looking forward to Axis (which is all over the internet), which it look I gotta go here and there to buy different books of those events. I hate when stories are divided in different books.

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@adamtrmm said:

@oldnightcrawler:

True, his stories are pushed mostly by the plot instead of personalities, but like I said, some of his concepts/science-fic are just really great and I'd be kinda interested to see him integrating this stuff into the current awful condition of the X-comics.

This.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.