Follow

X-Men

Team » X-Men appears in 13416 issues.

The X-Men are a superhero team of mutants founded by Professor Charles Xavier. They are dedicated to helping fellow mutants and sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them.

RECENT subjects

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

There's a lot of stuff going on right now in the X-verse, like new books and relaunches (X-Force, Wolverine and the X-Men vol.2, All-new X-factor), a solo (Magneto) and another, upcoming one (Nightcrawler), the main books like Uncanny, All-new, Amazing and XX-men are also gaining some shape (I'd say all of them are too slow, but that would be me). One might say, this is a good time to be an X-fan, other might disagree, but one thing is certain - the stories go on, and I would like we'll have a place on the Vine where we can talk about this, whether you liked/enjoyed it or not, the recent weekly issues and stories/previews/I don't know - everything.

Yesterday, I've read Magneto, WATXM, UXM and New Warriors (which being written by Yost has its ties to the X-verse right now). And here's what I think:

Magneto #1: I actually kinda got what I expected. Generally, I enjoyed the issue, the ending was also promising. I'm not Walta's fan at all, yet he did a very nice job and I'd say he actually fits the tone of the story. Bald-neto has absolutely grown on me as well :) This issue was good, and from what I've read almost everyone enjoyed the premiere and that's the treatment Magneto deserves. Another detail I want to accentuate was how Bunn referred to his multiple names, sine the "Max Eisenhardt" retcon, it was almost overlooked Erik Lehnsherr isn't his real name. That's why I liked how Bunn made it seem like "Magnus" doesn't really care how people call him, though some might disagree since he killed the only one who knew what his real name was. Me? I think that's how it actually made sense. What I disliked is a near-religious thoughts of devil and sins. To me, felt completely out of character, especially when Jews have no definition of "devil" same way Christians do. That also includes his thoughts of answering his crimes, I don't see how this fits his character when I never noticed repentance of anything he did, no matter how morally wrong was it, I might be overreacting though, but that's my feeling.

As a whole, I think it was very decent issue, of potentially great series.

Uncanny X-men #18: Well, talking about slow pace like we already used when discussing a Bendis book, nothing really changed lol Another filler issue, nothing of an actual stuff that an outlaw "bad@$$" team should've done. Again. Those who waited all along for Uncanny/O5 interactions might find here what they were looking for. Me? Not really. Note: Bendis' Emma is absolutely horrible. I also wonder if he writes Jean really unlikable intentionally or it's just me?

WATXM v2. #1: Most of us were really excited after the news of Aaron's terrible run cancellation which might give a hope to those of us who wanted the other students to get their chance to shien, but don't let your hope overfill you - Latour just continues the same, maybe a little less "ridicolous", Aaron's manner (and with pretty much the same characters), that becomes obvious when you see a new girl in a school whose mutation happens to be.. the antlers! Just a regular girl who talks to a nature and has antlers! Very unique, like Sharkgirl or Eyeboy. To be honest, nothing really made sense in this issue so I gladly may call this title and Latour a 100% true successor of Jason Aaron's X-perception. Wolverine and the X-men much... Oh, it's also hinted that Phoenix makes its way back yay!

Avatar image for moonlighterstone
    Moonlighterstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well this is very interesting. Unfortunately, I still haven't got to those series, yet. Speaking of which, I'm going to go with Magneto issue first. It does sound very interesting and can't wait to see what you just hinted. I'm sure many people will love this new Magneto and I truly believe is the best of them all. So, Magneto will be my first to buy and read. Thanks for sharing.

Avatar image for oldnightcrawler
    oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

@adamtrmm said:

Uncanny X-men #18: Well, talking about slow pace like we already used when discussing a Bendis book, nothing really changed lol Another filler issue, nothing of an actual stuff that an outlaw "bad@$$" team should've done. Again. Those who waited all along for Uncanny/O5 interactions might find here what they were looking for. Me? Not really. Note: Bendis' Emma is absolutely horrible. I also wonder if he writes Jean really unlikable intentionally or it's just me?

As much as I've enjoyed most issues of this series, and don't have an issue with the pace, I have to agree that this issue is one of the weaker, more superfluous chapters so far.

For me it probably does have to do with not caring about what the "O5" are doing; if I cared about that, I would read their book. We got a few of those why didn't we see this happen? interactions that fans seem to trouble themselves with, but again, mostly in regards to characters moments that should have played out in All-new' if they even needed to play out at all. Maybe Bendis is writing under the assumption that anyone reading Uncanny' is also reading All-new', but I'm not and I'm not at all interested in seeing the two overlap any more than they already have.

One weak issue isn't enough to make me give up on what I think has otherwise been a great series, but yeah, this issue is pretty superfluous. And if this is the lead up to another crossover with All-new X-men, I imagine I'll probably skip those issues.

WATXM v2. #1: Most of us were really excited after the news of Aaron's terrible run cancellation which might give a hope to those of us who wanted the other students to get their chance to shien, but don't let your hope overfill you - Latour just continues the same, maybe a little less "ridicolous", Aaron's manner (and with pretty much the same characters), that becomes obvious when you see a new girl in a school whose mutation happens to be.. the antlers! Just a regular girl who talks to a nature and has antlers! Very unique, like Sharkgirl or Eyeboy. To be honest, nothing really made sense in this issue so I gladly may call this title and Latour a 100% true successor of Jason Aaron's X-perception. Wolverine and the X-men much... Oh, it's also hinted that Phoenix makes its way back yay!

I have to disagree on some of this. While I didn't (and still don't) want to get my hopes up about this series, this issue was a better handling of the characters and themes than any of the last volume.

Yes, it's basically the same characters and themes as the last volume (hence inheriting the title), but the characters are written both much more convincingly and to much greater effect. Quire and Oya especially felt like they had more personality, Storm's role is finally becoming more significant, and it was nice to see some of the New X-men in place of most of Aaron's characters; all of which I appreciated.

Yes, it's still silly, but for me it was less silly (and more actually funny) than the tone of the last volume. And the art is just great!

So, while I don't want to get my hopes up, and I'm not particularly interested in Phoenix making it's way back (if indeed that's what's happening), I do think this was a good issue, I think it's more what I wanted the last volume to be, and I would recommend it.

I'll definitely be giving the first arc a chance, at the very least.

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is everything I've wanted to post about bout couldn't because of comp issues...
    Anyway.

Uncanny X-Men: While I actually enjoyed the interactions and moments that we were all asking about back in October when they sprung the team switch on us...I had to laugh out loud when after all the talk about pace in this book they decided that the framing device for this issue would literally make the book feel like it was going so slow it was going backwards. Still i'm of the belief that if anyone has a prob with this book wait for the trades or the giant graphic novel version because it will read a lot better.

WatXm: I have to give legitimate credit to the new team here for actually giving the characters voice and direction. I'd almost call this a sequel to AvX and BotA (despite the connotations) in the way it only focus' on the important plot points from the two events and even before. It seems like he took all of Aaron's crazy and focused it and i'm actually looking forward to seeing where all the set up is going to go.

Magneto- This first issue felt like a love song to the character for the first few pages, and if it keeps up with this tone I will firmly enjoy it. My only beef would be that the transition from his role in the last 3 Uncanny's could've been focused on more. but as a character piece this first issue was solid

McKlayn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

@adamtrmm said:

There's a lot of stuff going on right now in the X-verse, like new books and relaunches (X-Force, Wolverine and the X-Men vol.2, All-new X-factor), a solo (Magneto) and another, upcoming one (Nightcrawler), the main books like Uncanny, All-new, Amazing and XX-men are also gaining some shape (I'd say all of them are too slow, but that would be me). One might say, this is a good time to be an X-fan, other might disagree, but one thing is certain - the stories go on, and I would like we'll have a place on the Vine where we can talk about this, whether you liked/enjoyed it or not, the recent weekly issues and stories/previews/I don't know - everything.

Yesterday, I've read Magneto, WATXM, UXM and New Warriors (which being written by Yost has its ties to the X-verse right now). And here's what I think:

Magneto #1: I actually kinda got what I expected. Generally, I enjoyed the issue, the ending was also promising. I'm not Walta's fan at all, yet he did a very nice job and I'd say he actually fits the tone of the story. Bald-neto has absolutely grown on me as well :) This issue was good, and from what I've read almost everyone enjoyed the premiere and that's the treatment Magneto deserves. Another detail I want to accentuate was how Bunn referred to his multiple names, sine the "Max Eisenhardt" retcon, it was almost overlooked Erik Lehnsherr isn't his real name. That's why I liked how Bunn made it seem like "Magnus" doesn't really care how people call him, though some might disagree since he killed the only one who knew what his real name was. Me? I think that's how it actually made sense. What I disliked is a near-religious thoughts of devil and sins. To me, felt completely out of character, especially when Jews have no definition of "devil" same way Christians do. That also includes his thoughts of answering his crimes, I don't see how this fits his character when I never noticed repentance of anything he did, no matter how morally wrong was it, I might be overreacting though, but that's my feeling.

Magneto: Omg, it felt like a chapter straight out the First Class movie, kind of where Mags goes around at the start looking for shaw and killing nazi's only change killing nazi's to killing mutant haters and just forget about shaw who needs motive right? They all deserve to die, what more do you need to know? lol seriously though i LOVED it, i am for sure looking forward to the next issue

Uncanny X men: well i subscribe to this via mail and it hasnt arrived yet so boo

WATXM: I bought this one digital just to check it out, and as much as i hated WATXM the first one i think i really enjoyed this issue. Quire and Oya were really good, and i loved how they were written. Having Hellion and Rockslide made me happy, i will give issue two a read at least see how it progresses although i am totally done with the you know other thing you mentioned hope it doesnt engulf the whole book

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6  Edited By HAWK2916

Love the idea behind this thread by the way

Magneto- I thought the first issue was well-done. It did leave me wanting more instead of being confused. I think it was a strong debut and for this to be the 1st solo I've picked up, i was not disappointed. Im not a fan of the art. Bald-eto doesn't necessarily bother me, but the art I just really didnt care for. This coupled with the last issue that he was focused on in Uncanny felt like they gelled together pretty well, although I was looking for a big fallout or argument/fight tha would have caused him to go out on his own like this. I also agree with the dislike for the religious- "Im gonna burn in hell but not today" connotation. For 1st issues I always wish for a double since it's the first issue and its difficult to tell a story and get someone hooked with just 18-20 pages. I only hate that we have to wait until April 2nd for issue#2, why not return in two weeks? I give it 4.5 stars only knock being the art.

WATXM- Admittedly I had sworn off this title and was happy to see it cancelled under Aaron. I went and bought the new edition to see if it was better and because I do feel that I should know what's happening on the other side of the divide so to speak. That said, i should have saved my money. I still see the same silliness as before. The school seem to have a bit of a Morlock quality to it. I mean Im ok with the occasional mutation that manifest in weird appearances. But I thought the whole mutant theme was they are people like us with special abilities because of their mutations-meaning they should look normal at least sometimes, but the school seems to only have the crazy looking weird twilight zone creations, it feels like a reincarnation of the savage land craziness back in the day. It may be that I just dislike Quire and consequently am tired of the focus on him. He's conflicted because he's accepted now and doesn't want to be but then does and he's teaching classes, really? I like the idea of a school but only a few should be qualified to teach not every Xman. I've always liked Idie. Rockslide is still the idiot with no substance, who's depiction is one I hate. I dislike the Bamfs, Eyeboy and Doop again because of the silliness of the concept. I did like the inclusion of Hellion and the mechanical hands now. I also liked that I didnt see Sharkgirl. Couple that with the possible return of the Phoenix and Fantomex being recruited as a teacher is just about the most aggravating things with this book. I mean now we have Fantomex in two X-books? Really? Psylocke cant be at the school but Fantomex can? Cyclops methods are too extreme but Wolverine's are saintly? Writing like this makes me further dislike Wolverine, who happens to be one of my previous favorite characters. I dont see myself going any further in supporting this book and while I would say that it reads better than Aaron's mess, that's not saying much as its really just more of the same and is not reading good enough for me to spend $4 on. I guess if you were a fan of Aaron's book you'll like this one then, but none for me thanks.

Uncanny- Seemed to me to be a bit of fan service. Some have been complaining about the lack of interaction between the O5 and oldies, so we got it here but it felt like he threw this in on second thought. Ths type of issue would have belonged in BOTA imo and would have actually made that horrific event a little better. This really just felt like a filler issue. How much longer do we have to wait for this revolution to get some definition and get started? I think I will have to go with the advice of just waiting for the trades for this book. The pace is a bit ridiculous and feels like most of the issues have been filler. (still cant get over Magik screaming "How dare you" for like 4 pages and then having two pages completely black). Im one of the few I believe who's not a fan of Bachalo's art but the art in this issue made me actually miss him and that's not good. Emma is being horribly written, I mean she 's storming out like a teenager and being ridiculous.Kitty is still whiny and ridiculous. Magik just seems to be about chaos but that said, Bendis really writes a great Magik imo as an extension of Gillen's take on her. On the good side, I do still like Tempus and while it was a filler issue, it was needed. I hope this next issue actually does something other than the non-stop filler we've been getting. The strong issues have been few and far between and recently the only strong issue in my opinion was the one about Magneto.

New Warriors- Haven't read it yet though I did pick it up. Definitely want to follow Kyle and Yost

PurePower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Too much to read here lol. I see a lot of like and dislike. Out of those that you mentioned, I only bought Magneto. I like Magneto been called many names. Also, it was the best solo book I ever read of Magneto. So, for the rest, I can't say much since I don't like them.

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays said:

Uncanny X-Men: While I actually enjoyed the interactions and moments that we were all asking about back in October when they sprung the team switch on us...I had to laugh out loud when after all the talk about pace in this book they decided that the framing device for this issue would literally make the book feel like it was going so slow it was going backwards. Still i'm of the belief that if anyone has a prob with this book wait for the trades or the giant graphic novel version because it will read a lot better.

WatXm: I have to give legitimate credit to the new team here for actually giving the characters voice and direction. I'd almost call this a sequel to AvX and BotA (despite the connotations) in the way it only focus' on the important plot points from the two events and even before. It seems like he took all of Aaron's crazy and focused it and i'm actually looking forward to seeing where all the set up is going to go.

totally, all of this.

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By adamTRMM

Wow, a lot of info :]

@oldnightcrawler:

You don't think Uncanny had too many filler issues? Really? It's Ok that enjoy this book, but don't you want to see a little of action already? I mean the book's meaning, statement and mission. Not on paper, but in actual action I mean.

As for WATXM relaunch, of course it's better then Aaron's, but that doesn't say much, 'cause being better than worst still isn't quality indicator. The book based on Quire's insecurity of growing up? Wolverine seeks for a murderer, who right now yet again joined another X-Force kill squad, yet he wants him around children with those silly explanations he gave us (also that's after executing a defeated alien or whatever? Well done Prof!)? And that forced, OOC confession Fantomess makes to Genesis? That was really, really lame. And the only thing Hellion can do with that Sh*tfire brat, is to bully him until he commits suicide, not talking like they have anything in common. Oh this odious Doop makes yet another appearance and kicks Rockslide's ass, which seems to be the only reason for character's existence. What I did like, the precedent for Hellion and Quire interaction, they're both arrogant and dominant narcissists, this clash (which also wasn't well written at all) was inevitable and reminds us once again how bad Aaron is. Another thing, the Phoenix Host vs. Apocalypse Celestial Host idea Remender introduced. For some reason, I find it extremely cool - two cosmic forces of what we simplify as evolution clash, where one represents death, another life. And while our small minded human perceptions of this comic order and universal interests, we might not actually know who side really represents what cause. And that's it :]

@mcklayn said:

i am totally done with the you know other thing you mentioned hope it doesnt engulf the whole book

But it will, you know this :)

@hawk2916 said:

New Warriors- Haven't read it yet though I did pick it up. Definitely want to follow Kyle and Yost

It's just Yost, Kyle is out of comics right now :''(

----------------------------------------------

Let's talk about Trial:

ANXM 24 preview:

The previous issue was beyond sh!tty, Gladiator IS a Majestor, Emperor of empire so big, we cannot even comprehend, yet he talks in silly Bendis manner and questioned by a subordinate like he is their Cyclops and it's a democracy. Why everything has to be so flat and typical with Bendis? Why can't he acknowledge not everyone speaks to maintain his silly plots? That's what good writers are for, to keep everyone in character without damaging them, when you write your story. Of course, there's something going on and we don't know what it is, I still won't fall for bad characterizations, also character development=/=OOC regression.

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@adamtrmm said:

You don't think Uncanny had too many filler issues? Really? It's Ok that enjoy this book, but don't you want to see a little of action already? I mean the book's meaning, statement and mission. Not on paper, but in actual action I mean.

I guess it depends what you mean by "filler issues". For me, this book has had enough action, but I'll admit that action in itself isn't generally the main thing that draws me to a book so much as it has fun character interactions and an intriguing story.

Out of 18 issues, this book's only had 3* (issue 18 and the BotA issues) that I didn't thoroughly enjoy. That's still 15 solid issues in one year. Which, for me, makes it the most consistent X-men book to come out in years (maybe even since Whedon's run, which, though far more consistent, only had 6 or 7 issues in the time that this book's had 18).

I'm not saying this book couldn't be better, I'm just saying it has been the X-men book I've most consistently enjoyed to come out in a long time.

*all of which seem like they should have been issues of All-new'

As for WATXM relaunch, of course it's better then Aaron's, but that doesn't say much, 'cause being better than worst still isn't quality indicator.

1. The book based on Quire's insecurity of growing up?
    2. Wolverine seeks for a murderer, who right now yet again joined another X-Force kill squad, yet he wants him around children with those silly explanations he gave us (also that's after executing a defeated alien or whatever? Well done Prof!)?
    3. And that forced, OOC confession Fantomess makes to Genesis? That was really, really lame.
    4. And the only thing Hellion can do with that Sh*tfire brat, is to bully him until he commits suicide, not talking like they have anything in common.
    5. Oh this odious Doop makes yet another appearance and kicks Rockslide's ass, which seems to be the only reason for character's existence.
    6. What I did like, the precedent for Hellion and Quire interaction, they're both arrogant and dominant narcissists, this clash (which also wasn't well written at all) was inevitable and reminds us once again how bad Aaron is.

Like I say, I'm trying not to compare this book to Aaron's (anymore than it compares itself), for the sake of giving it a fair chance. Though I don't disagree with all of your criticisms, I did like the way this book was written in terms of characterization, tone, and pace.

1. I know not everyone does, but I really like Quire, so his character being given focus in this book is really one of the main draws for me.

2. Fantomex's inclusion in this book seems a bit contrived to me, too, as well as superfluous given that I don't feel there's much connection between him and these characters (other than Evan). That said, I thought the same thing about Gambit and Emma in the 90's, and they've both become favorites, so I'm willing to give it a chance. And these scenes did at least give us some great action (weak, messed-up, teleporting Wolverine, still kicking ass? that was great!), which some probably would have found the book lacking otherwise.

3. Maybe it's because I'm not especially attached to Fantomex, but for me all of his character developments have seemed somewhat out of character at the time. If I was a big Fantomex fan, maybe this would bug me; but since I don't really care about the character one way or the other, it really doesn't.

4. Though I'm happy to see Hellion involved in this book, it still does feel more in line with Aaron's use of the character than the more fully fleshed out version from New X-men. That said, there was nothing about his appearance in this issue that really bothered me so much as it just seemed like a more simplistic, surface version of the character.

5. Again, I know not everyone likes Doop, but I really do. Though both he and Rockslide have been shown to have deeper sides to their characters, they are both characters used most often for comic relief, which I enjoyed from both in this issue.

6. I wouldn't say this scene was poorly written so much as executed a bit simplistically. Ifas much focus was given to Hellion as is being given to Quire, this could truly be a rivalry for the ages. They could be a great contemporary twist on the Xavier/Magneto dynamic for a new generation. I would read a book that was just about those two, probably.

The whole Phoenix/Apocalypse thing is a combination of two themes that don't really interest me, except that they create drama for developing characters I am interested in (like Quire, Oya, and Evan); in and of themselves, they're just plot-movers.

Avatar image for phoenixofthetides
    PhoenixoftheTides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@adamtrmm: That is pretty bad writing. Any agency Jean had at all was taken away because someone else randomly walked up and said what she should have said.

frozenedge2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@adamtrmm said:

6. I wouldn't say this scene was poorly written so much as executed a bit simplistically. Ifas much focus was given to Hellion as is being given to Quire, this could truly be a rivalry for the ages. They could be a great contemporary twist on the Xavier/Magneto dynamic for a new generation. I would read a book that was just about those two, probably.

A Hellion-Quire rivalry would be amazing while a friend rivalry between the New X-Men team and what seems to be the current New X-Men team I guess (Oya, Broo, Sharkgirl, Evan, Kid Gladitor, Eyeboy, Sprite) on the side could be interesting too. This would be a great way to still use the new characters that seem to be the main focus in the book while putting previous students who are usually reserved for background appearances to good use.

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By adamTRMM
    @oldnightcrawler said:

I guess it depends what you mean by "filler issues". For me, this book has had enough action, but I'll admit that action in itself isn't generally the main thing that draws me to a book so much as it has fun character interactions and an intriguing story.

Out of 18 issues, this book's only had 3* (issue 18 and the BotA issues) that I didn't thoroughly enjoy. That's still 15 solid issues in one year. Which, for me, makes it the most consistent X-men book to come out in years (maybe even since Whedon's run, which, though far more consistent, only had 6 or 7 issues in the time that this book's had 18).

I'm not saying this book couldn't be better, I'm just saying it has been the X-men book I've most consistently enjoyed to come out in a long time.

*all of which seem like they should have been issues of All-new'

Every issue, since BOTA was a filler, no actual direction. I could understand such pace only if BOTA would've been a success, but it wasn't so the derivation was really required. So basically, even without event-fillers, it takes 5 whole issues to show us finally who this Sentinel-master is since his introduction who supposedly is the main villain for now, and yet we still have no clue, because you know, seemingly feuds or whatever are Bendis' main speciality. Am I missing anything?

You're right, many X-books are constant ups and downs throughout almost every run, but we have very, very delicate times for the X-verse when franchise was thrown under the truck post-AvX, these are the exact times to solidify them, and tell you the truth - main books aren't getting the job done as for me, X-verse is more segregated from the the Main-verse then ever (look Infinity, btw it's like I've read two completely different Gladiators, though Hickman had his CIS as well, but still far from the same level) and all Bendis seem to care about are his new pet characters and their wannabe smartass interactions, I say we deserve more.

Of course, to each his own, but I do enjoy some of the books, just that Aaron/Bendis duo isn't there for me, Cyclops from being one of the best things happened to X-verse gets degraded into something tasteless thanks to them.

Like I say, I'm trying not to compare this book to Aaron's (anymore than it compares itself), for the sake of giving it a fair chance. Though I don't disagree with all of your criticisms, I did like the way this book was written in terms of characterization, tone, and pace.

1. I know not everyone does, but I really like Quire, so his character being given focus in this book is really one of the main draws for me.

2. Fantomex's inclusion in this book seems a bit contrived to me, too, as well as superfluous given that I don't feel there's much connection between him and these characters (other than Evan). That said, I thought the same thing about Gambit and Emma in the 90's, and they've both become favorites, so I'm willing to give it a chance. And these scenes did at least give us some great action (weak, messed-up, teleporting Wolverine, still kicking ass? that was great!), which some probably would have found the book lacking otherwise.

3. Maybe it's because I'm not especially attached to Fantomex, but for me all of his character developments have seemed somewhat out of character at the time. If I was a big Fantomex fan, maybe this would bug me; but since I don't really care about the character one way or the other, it really doesn't.

4. Though I'm happy to see Hellion involved in this book, it still does feel more in line with Aaron's use of the character than the more fully fleshed out version from New X-men. That said, there was nothing about his appearance in this issue that really bothered me so much as it just seemed like a more simplistic, surface version of the character.

5. Again, I know not everyone likes Doop, but I really do. Though both he and Rockslide have been shown to have deeper sides to their characters, they are both characters used most often for comic relief, which I enjoyed from both in this issue.

The whole Phoenix/Apocalypse thing is a combination of two themes that don't really interest me, except that they create drama for developing characters I am interested in (like Quire, Oya, and Evan); in and of themselves, they're just plot-movers.

1. I have yet to figure some character evolution hints to have my final decision about him lol

2. Like I said before, Fantomes lost his charm after this tipple-way resurrection of him, like many others, he should've stayed dead, his death was interesting.

4. Seeing Hellion was great, but he's at a very vulnerable position right now, I don't really trust Latour enough so I fear he might be ruined =(

5. Many hate Rockslide, but he is great when around his friends, for others he might seem unbearable

6. All New Academy X? Sold :)

@phoenixofthetides:

You mean what Oracle said to her and J'son speaking instead of her?

time1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 104

#14  Edited By time1

Magneto#1: I thought was pretty good. Eric seems to have his own agenda, that's is to hunt people who hurt mutants and that seems pretty cool. This could end up being a good series. The only thing I didn't like about the issue was the artwork, it's pretty horrible. You think they would find a better artists for Magneto solo series.

Uncanny X-Men#18 : I thought was a good issue. A decent Cyclops issue. I like the interaction between adult Cyclops and teen Cyclops. I also like what Teen Jean said to adult Cyclops. Cyclops lived it and she can't imagine it.

Wolverine and the X-Men, I think is still the same, there still too many mutants in one comic. Half time it was confusing.

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oldnightcrawler said:

@adamtrmm said:

A Hellion-Quire rivalry would be amazing while a friend rivalry between the New X-Men team and what seems to be the current New X-Men team I guess (Oya, Broo, Sharkgirl, Evan, Kid Gladitor, Eyeboy, Sprite) on the side could be interesting too. This would be a great way to still use the new characters that seem to be the main focus in the book while putting previous students who are usually reserved for background appearances to good use.

This

if were not assuming that all the New X-men are being written out or promoted after that graduation issue it would be great to see the two sides sort of go against eachother. I've said before The New X-men went through more stuff then any other student group and seeing them have a sort of resentment towards the newer group for having it easy, or not being mutant enough would be great...especially considering most peoples problem with the students are that they don't seem to have mutant problems so much as they have "weird superhero school" problems.

frozenedge2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays said:

@frozenedge said:

@oldnightcrawler said:

@adamtrmm said:

This

if were not assuming that all the New X-men are being written out or promoted after that graduation issue it would be great to see the two sides sort of go against eachother. I've said before The New X-men went through more stuff then any other student group and seeing them have a sort of resentment towards the newer group for having it easy, or not being mutant enough would be great...especially considering most peoples problem with the students are that they don't seem to have mutant problems so much as they have "weird superhero school" problems.

Depending on which New X-Men characters it is I don't think they'd have any resentment towards them, well maybe a few of them would but not in an extreme manner to the point where they'd intentionally screw with them.

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays said:

@frozenedge said:

This

Depending on which New X-Men characters it is I don't think they'd have any resentment towards them, well maybe a few of them would but not in an extreme manner to the point where they'd intentionally screw with them.

Well maybe not screw with them, but say a scene opens with both groups watching a news program about mutants, showing the exploits of Cyclops or the Uncanny Avengers. The New X-Men were in the trenches so i could see them saying that the newer characters don't get what it means to be a mutant.

Alternatively i'd like to see some of the New X-Men in a Student Teacher roll like Armor go up against the new kids who dont feel they have to listen to them despite the experience gap.

But this is all talk, since i think we'll be getting a classic schoolyard rivalry between Quentin and Hellion.

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oldnightcrawler said:

If they could pull it off like the Hellions/New Mutants thing, with a few main characters on either side, but with others not really on either side, I think that could work pretty well..

frozenedge2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By frozenedge2

@koays said:

@frozenedge said:

@koays said:

@frozenedge said:

This

Well maybe not screw with them, but say a scene opens with both groups watching a news program about mutants, showing the exploits of Cyclops or the Uncanny Avengers. The New X-Men were in the trenches so i could see them saying that the newer characters don't get what it means to be a mutant.

Alternatively i'd like to see some of the New X-Men in a Student Teacher roll like Armor go up against the new kids who dont feel they have to listen to them despite the experience gap.

But this is all talk, since i think we'll be getting a classic schoolyard rivalry between Quentin and Hellion.

The problem with the second scenario is that majority of the newer mutants are/seem to be pretty respectable with the exception of Quentin, Kid Gladiator, and maybe Shark Girl so it would probably just come down to those three going against Hellion, Surge, and maybe Rockslide or Mercury. I'm perfectly okay with a Quentin/Hellion rivalry since that's something I thought would've happened by now what with Quentin being used a lot and they're both cocky telekinetic/telepath users.

@frozenedge said:

@oldnightcrawler said:

If they could pull it off like the Hellions/New Mutants thing, with a few main characters on either side, but with others not really on either side, I think that could work pretty well..

It could definitely work and that's what I'm hoping could happen. If not then something close to that I'd be alright with

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By oldnightcrawler

@adamtrmm said:

Every issue, since BOTA was a filler, no actual direction. I could understand such pace only if BOTA would've been a success, but it wasn't so the derivation was really required. So basically, even without event-fillers, it takes 5 whole issues to show us finally who this Sentinel-master is since his introduction who supposedly is the main villain for now, and yet we still have no clue, because you know, seemingly feuds or whatever are Bendis' main speciality. Am I missing anything?

yeah, well, that's just like, you're opinion, man.

like I say, it depends what you mean by "filler". To me, issues 14-17 were great issues. Maybe 15 was a down-time issue, but all of those issues were the kinds of stories I read X-men for, so it's not really filler for me. I really don't care who's behind the Sentinels; I'm sure I'll find out (or not), and it'll be someone awesome, or not, but whatever. It's seeing the characters interact and be tested that's interesting to me. To me this book's only filler issues have been the crossovers, because I don't care about the other book.

Of course, to each his own, but I do enjoy some of the books, just that Aaron/Bendis duo isn't there for me, Cyclops from being one of the best things happened to X-verse gets degraded into something tasteless thanks to Bendis.

Like you say, to each their own; I've actually enjoyed Cyclops more in the last year than anytime in the last eight.

I have to admit, I really don't care much for All-new X-men or Aaron's WatX-men (both started off fun but quickly lost me), nor did I like they're work on BotA or AvsX. So I totally get why people don't like them.

But I have really enjoyed Amazing X-Men, and I really think Uncanny X-Men has so far been one of the best X-men books in years, so I'm willing to just ignore the other stuff.

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The problem with the second scenario is that majority of the newer mutants are/seem to be pretty respectable with the exception of Quentin, Kid Gladiator, and maybe Shark Girl so it would probably just come down to those three going against Hellion, Surge, and maybe Rockslide or Mercury. I'm perfectly okay with a Quentin/Hellion rivalry since that's something I thought would've happened by now what with Quentin being used a lot and they're both cocky telekinetic/telepath users.

Quire's not one of the newer students, he's one of the oldest students. He was around before the New X-Men (vol.2) in New X-Men (vol.1). He coined the name "New X-men" for his gang of mutant thugs that got high and beat people up. He started his own Brotherhood and called it the X-men, he took down Wolverine and Xavier in his riot, he basically resurrected the Phoenix, and he held the U.N. hostage -all as a teenager! He's the mysterious and troubled loner of his generation. Any of the students on his side would be deferring to another whole kind of cred than the New X-men themselves.

The New X-men, collectively, survived arguably the worst generation of being a mutant (or a student at the school), and that's not nothing, but Quire's more of a singular legend in his own right. And that two of his only friends are basically remorseless teenage killers only reinforces his danger factor. And since he was actually voted to be class president or whatever, that means at least a bunch of the New X-men themselves must have some kind of respect for him.

frozenedge2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frozenedge said:

Quire's not one of the newer students, he's one of the oldest students. He was around before the New X-Men (vol.2) in New X-Men (vol.1). He coined the name "New X-men" for his gang of mutant thugs that got high and beat people up. He started his own Brotherhood and called it the X-men, he took down Wolverine and Xavier in his riot, he basically resurrected the Phoenix, and he held the U.N. hostage -all as a teenager! He's the mysterious and troubled loner of his generation. Any of the students on his side would be deferring to another whole kind of cred than the New X-men themselves.

The New X-men, collectively, survived arguably the worst generation of being a mutant (or a student at the school), and that's not nothing, but Quire's more of a singular legend in his own right. And that two of his only friends are basically remorseless teenage killers only reinforces his danger factor. And since he was actually voted to be class president or whatever, that means at least a bunch of the New X-men themselves must have some kind of respect for him.

I know Quentin's history I'm just grouping him in with the newer mutants because he's been plopped down into the group with them in this series and I actually think he fits better with them. They all look up to him and like you said respect him so yeah some of the New X-Men probably do respect him but there's more than likely gonna be that one thing Quentin does that just completely pisses them off at the moment that could start a New X-Men/Newer X-Men rivalry if something like that were to happen

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By adamTRMM

@oldnightcrawler said:

yeah, well, that's just like, you're opinion, man.

like I say, it depends what you mean by "filler". To me, issues 14-17 were great issues. Maybe 15 was a down-time issue, but all of those issues were the kinds of stories I read X-men for, so it's not really filler for me. I really don't care who's behind the Sentinels; I'm sure I'll find out (or not), and it'll be someone awesome, or not, but whatever. It's seeing the characters interact and be tested that's interesting to me. To me this book's only filler issues have been the crossovers, because I don't care about the other book.

Just my opinion? You see I just finished rereading AvX: Consequences and all I want is to applaud Gillen - a man turned the nonsense AvX was into something bearable, solved most of the questions raised and gave characters faces they lost during that event, but above all of it? He determined the direction for all of them, mostly for Extinction Team, all this with just 5 issues. Bendis' Uncanny is 18 issues long - can you tell please what are they doing, what are they fighting for, and for why the hell world needs them? I really want to be enlighten, maybe something wrong with me and I missed the whole thing was right in front me all the time?

Bendis made them call themselves Revolutionaries, I didn't find any Revolution yet, did you?

-------------------------------------------------------

As for the new teen book, I agree with all of you guys, the only appropriate option would be Academy X-like rival teams, the main two of which would be New X-men vs. Aaron's abomi... incarnation of a teen-team, exactly like Hellions vs. the New Mutants rivalry was. Hellion/Surge will get Cannonball/Moonstar leadership dynamics, but besides Quire I don't really see another potential co-leader for the second team. Another aspect must be acknowledged, I just wanted to start a new thread about potential "teen teams" and how do you see the selection happen, and then I realized how MANY kids there are, so there's no option for everyone to be satisfied.

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I know Quentin's history I'm just grouping him in with the newer mutants because he's been plopped down into the group with them in this series and I actually think he fits better with them. They all look up to him and like you said respect him so yeah some of the New X-Men probably do respect him but there's more than likely gonna be that one thing Quentin does that just completely pisses them off at the moment that could start a New X-Men/Newer X-Men rivalry if something like that were to happen

Yeah, well we really haven't seen Quire interact with most of the New X-men. Obviously this latest volume is establishing that Hellion doesn't think much of him, and we've seen previously that Mercury seemed intrigued by him (Wolverine and the X-Men: Alpha & Omega), while he seemed to be trying to impress Bling. Outside of that, all we know is that when school elections were being held, Quire was tied with Anole until Wolverine gave Quire the winning vote.

Since we've never seen any of the students themselves weigh in on who they voted for or why (assuming it was anything other than a popularity contest), it's hard to imagine any of the new X-men voting against Anole, especially for a kid who was indirectly responsible for the death of one of their own (Sophie Cuckoo), so it could be really illuminating for any of these characters to find out how they voted, or who they would side with between Quire and Hellion.

frozenedge2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frozenedge said:

Yeah, well we really haven't seen Quire interact with most of the New X-men. Obviously this latest volume is establishing that Hellion doesn't think much of him, and we've seen previously that Mercury seemed intrigued by him (Wolverine and the X-Men: Alpha & Omega), while he seemed to be trying to impress Bling. Outside of that, all we know is that when school elections were being held, Quire was tied with Anole until Wolverine gave Quire the winning vote.

Since we've never seen any of the students themselves weigh in on who they voted for or why (assuming it was anything other than a popularity contest), it's hard to imagine any of the new X-men voting against Anole, especially for a kid who was indirectly responsible for the death of one of their own (Sophie Cuckoo), so it could be really illuminating for any of these characters to find out how they voted, or who they would side with between Quire and Hellion.

I attribute Quentin being voted most popular from majority of the newer mutants at the school rather than the New X-Men seeing how they outnumber them just by looking at the background. If anything the New X-Men don't think much of Quentin and just don't bother with him. Since they're more familiar with Hellion, I'd say that most of them would more likely stay out of any arguments between the two with maybe one or two of them joining in on the rivalry.

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@adamtrmm said:

Just my opinion? You see I just finished rereading AvX: Consequences and all I want is to applaud Gillen - a man turned the nonsense AvX was into something bearable, solved most of the questions raised and gave characters faces they lost during that event, but above all of it? He determined the direction for all of them, mostly for Extinction Team, all this with just 5 issues. Bendis' Uncanny is 18 issues long - can you tell please what are they doing, what are they fighting for, and for why the hell world needs them? I really want to be enlighten, maybe something wrong with me and I missed the whole thing was right in front me all the time?

Yeah, 'Consequences was way better than AvsX, but like you say, he had the job of cleaning up the mess of a huge event. Yeah, in an event book you want every chapter to to have some plot moving revelation that justifies it being an event.

But, because of that, event books rarely develop characters as much as on-going monthlies (hence why they needed a book like 'Consequences to give the story it's intended character impact). They're just two different kinds of stories. From another way of looking at it, event books are just there to create a common drama for the the character's separate stories to play off of in their own books, and to me those stories are generally both better handled and more interesting, partially because they aren't forcing a new plot reveal in every chapter and can focus more on individual and group character development.

And, because of that, monthlies traditionally tend to have longer, more drawn out plot points, but that doesn't necessarily mean that less happens. Like I say, I'm not saying more couldn't have happened in Uncanny' by now, just that I'm sufficiently intrigued and entertained by what has.

As for the new teen book, I agree with all of you guys, the only appropriate option would be Academy X-like rival teams, the main two of which would be New X-men vs. Aaron's abomi... incarnation of a teen-team, exactly like Hellions vs. the New Mutants rivalry was. Hellion/Surge will get Cannonball/Moonstar leadership dynamics, but besides Quire I don't really see another potential co-leader for the second team. Another aspect must be acknowledged, I just wanted to start a new thread about potential "teen teams" and how do you see the selection happen, and then I realized how MANY kids there are, so there's no option for everyone to be satisfied.

I think I already made a thread addressing this idea, I'm going to try looking for it...

Cutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#27  Edited By Cutter

@adamtrmm said:

I completely agree with you. It look promising and I'm also not a fan of Walta. This is what really bothered me...for Magneto first ever solo book...the art should've be way better. it does look weird in a way...but the writer was awesome.

"What I disliked is a near-religious thoughts of devil and sins." Magneto does seem like he have a devil in him...and that was ever since his daughter Anya burned. Magda disappear after discovering of his mutation and murdering those humans...and by that time...she was pregnant from the twin. I'm sure part of it has to do about his daughter's death and thinking about it...what if there would be a flashback in this series of Anya? Magneto been called many names...that was an interesting theme. I have to say...Bunn did pull it off and had this feeling even since the announce of his solo book.

WATXM was another good book. Was a little confuse with so many students...it seem like a daja vu, which the only thing...of course, was that there were few new mutants. Lin li (with antlers)...who doesn't seem to speak...yet...she seem interesting and whatever her ability is...seem strong. Also, the Eye-boy (Trevor) look like a student from Morlock. A freak, with so many eyes...on his face, hands, finger tips, head, and who knows where else he got eyes...lol. I'm happy to see Hellion (one of my favorite). Quentin doesn't fit well for teaching...Idie...can't wait to see more of her...interesting character. I'm still confuse about those little bumf. Don't seem to get why so many...and why the hell did they have to include Doop? This really annoyed me and I hope this series doesn't present him all the time.

Uncanny X-men didn't bought it yet. But from what I'm hearing...not everyone are happy. I'm still getting it though. So let see....

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I attribute Quentin being voted most popular from majority of the newer mutants at the school rather than the New X-Men seeing how they outnumber them just by looking at the background.

No Caption Provided

From the looks of this image that came out around the time of the student election it looks like there's 32 students, not counting Quire and Anole themselves (assuming the "O5" didn't vote and that all the others did, including Face, but if he hadn't, it means someone else must not have since we know that it was a tie).

Of those 32, at least 16 of them* were New X-men (if we count the Cuckoos, who we could assume would vote against Quire anyway, assuming they all voted the same way), which is exactly half of the vote.

While that sort of makes it look pretty cut and dried, it doesn't really clarify why characters like Bling, Crosta, Face, Match, Primal, Transonic, or Velocidad would vote for Quire (let alone vote for him over Anole).

Sure, there are some characters, like Broo, Ernst, Evan, Eye-boy, Glob, No-girl, Oya, Shark-girl, and Sprite we can sort make sense of, and even if we assume that Krakoa (who's not pictured here) would definitely have voted for Quire, that's still just means someone else didn't (since it was a tie) and that's still less than a third of the votes.

It also means that, of the characters we can assume would vote for Quire, it's not all newer students, since at least Ernst, Glob, and No-girl were all students before the majority of New X-men came to the school.

*(Armor, Blindfold, Cipher, Dust, Gentle, Greymalkin, Hellion, Indra, Mercury, Pixie, Rockslide, Surge, Trance, and the Cuckoos)

.. If anything the New X-Men don't think much of Quentin and just don't bother with him. Since they're more familiar with Hellion, I'd say that most of them would more likely stay out of any arguments between the two with maybe one or two of them joining in on the rivalry.

Yeah, where it comes down to a rivalry between these two, it seems like only Surge and some of the new Hellions squad would bother to get involved on Hellion's side, with probably just as few others actually bothering to take Quire's.

But seeing who chose a side (and even who didn't), and why, would still be a cool way to shed some light on the motivations of some of the less used characters (which was a sort of missed opportunity in both Schism and the student election).

frozenedge2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frozenedge said:

I attribute Quentin being voted most popular from majority of the newer mutants at the school rather than the New X-Men seeing how they outnumber them just by looking at the background.

No Caption Provided

From the looks of this image that came out around the time of the student election it looks like there's 32 students, not counting Quire and Anole themselves (assuming the "O5" didn't vote and that all the others did, including Face, but if he hadn't, it means someone else must not have since we know that it was a tie).

Of those 32, at least 16 of them* were New X-men (if we count the Cuckoos, who we could assume would vote against Quire anyway, assuming they all voted the same way), which is exactly half of the vote.

While that sort of makes it look pretty cut and dried, it doesn't really clarify why characters like Bling, Crosta, Face, Match, Primal, Transonic, or Velocidad would vote for Quire (let alone vote for him over Anole).

Sure, there are some characters, like Broo, Ernst, Evan, Eye-boy, Glob, No-girl, Oya, Shark-girl, and Sprite we can sort make sense of, and even if we assume that Krakoa (who's not pictured here) would definitely have voted for Quire, that's still just means someone else didn't (since it was a tie) and that's still less than a third of the votes.

It also means that, of the characters we can assume would vote for Quire, it's not all newer students, since at least Ernst, Glob, and No-girl were all students before the majority of New X-men came to the school.

*(Armor, Blindfold, Cipher, Dust, Gentle, Greymalkin, Hellion, Indra, Mercury, Pixie, Rockslide, Surge, Trance, and the Cuckoos)

.. If anything the New X-Men don't think much of Quentin and just don't bother with him. Since they're more familiar with Hellion, I'd say that most of them would more likely stay out of any arguments between the two with maybe one or two of them joining in on the rivalry.

Yeah, where it comes down to a rivalry between these two, it seems like only Surge and some of the new Hellions squad would bother to get involved on Hellion's side, with probably just as few others actually bothering to take Quire's.

But seeing who chose a side (and even who didn't), and why, would still be a cool way to shed some light on the motivations of some of the less used characters (which was a sort of missed opportunity in both Schism and the student election).

I'm making a guess here so correct me if I'm wrong but I think that image is just of the named mutants we already know that are at the school. The JGS usually looks packed and there's always some random mutant kid in the background so it might've been some other mutants who voted for him as well. But yeah I'd definitely like to see some of other mutants we know of in the spotlight which hopefully Latour is gonna attempt to do at least

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm making a guess here so correct me if I'm wrong but I think that image is just of the named mutants we already know that are at the school. The JGS usually looks packed and there's always some random mutant kid in the background so it might've been some other mutants who voted for him as well. But yeah I'd definitely like to see some of other mutants we know of in the spotlight which hopefully Latour is gonna attempt to do at least

I think you're mistaken on that first point. I haven't read every issue of Aaron's WatX-men, but when I do, or whenever I read anything set at the school, I always pour over the backgrounds to see which characters I can find and I don't remember ever seeing any I couldn't identify.

Sure, thirty something kids isn't really a lot for one school, but you only ever need so many of them in a given panel to make the scene feel full of activity. Even a dozen figures looks like a lot in a confined scene.

I get the feeling Latour's at least on the right track. While he did introduce a new character already with Nature-girl, introducing one new character in the first issue of a new series isn't that wild compared to how much Aaron introduced. And I think his sending Broo and a bunch of Aaron's kids into space was to give some of the other students (like the New X-men) more of the spotlight, so we'll see.

frozenedge2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frozenedge said:

I think you're mistaken on that first point. I haven't read every issue of Aaron's WatX-men, but when I do, or whenever I read anything set at the school, I always pour over the backgrounds to see which characters I can find and I don't remember ever seeing any I couldn't identify.

Sure, thirty something kids isn't really a lot for one school, but you only ever need so many of them in a given panel to make the scene feel full of activity. Even a dozen figures looks like a lot in a confined scene.

I get the feeling Latour's at least on the right track. While he did introduce a new character already with Nature-girl, introducing one new character in the first issue of a new series isn't that wild compared to how much Aaron introduced. And I think his sending Broo and a bunch of Aaron's kids into space was to give some of the other students (like the New X-men) more of the spotlight, so we'll see.

I do know there have been a few scenes where there's a couple mutants that are completely and probably just background filler. Heck a few issues ago I remember there was mutant who looked like a miniature Groot and one who was built like Rockslide but red and wasn't made of stone. I'm definitely hoping Latour may give some of other students a chance. If not at least Wood is doing something for now with the students

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By adamTRMM

If not at least Wood is doing something for now with the students

There's a rumor one of the students dies by issue 14.

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So, 3 X-books are out, what do you think guys? All I'll say for now is XX-men continues to be the most disappointing book out there.

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@adamtrmm said:

So, 3 X-books are out, what do you think guys? All I'll say for now is XX-men continues to be the most disappointing book out there.

I think you should start a new thread for this week, same as you did for this week. Start with your thoughts, and we can all riff on that; it worked well this time :v

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.