Follow

X-Men

Team » X-Men appears in 13416 issues.

The X-Men are a superhero team of mutants founded by Professor Charles Xavier. They are dedicated to helping fellow mutants and sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them.

Question about Magneto #20 (SPOILERS!)

JasonBriggs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Do you think they'd actually kill off Earth 616 Magneto? After reading this issue, I have a bad feeling he won't make it out alive. If that's the case, do you think we'll see a completely different Magneto without any sort of Holocaust backstory in the relaunch? It would definitely solve the "sliding timescale" problem that some people complain about, but I would hate to see this version of Magneto go away.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3
    deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

The thought of 616 Magneto being replaced scares the crap out of me.

JasonBriggs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sprior93: I know, right?? He's one of my favorite characters. I've practically worn out my copies of Magneto Testament and the Cullen Bunn series. The thought of this character that's been around for 50+ years in Earth 616 being written out of continuity forever makes me really sad.

Avatar image for earthsmightiest
    EarthsMightiest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Only those on the two life boats and Doom/Strange survived the destruction of the marvel multiverse. That being said Bunn is doing the new U. X-men series after SW which he says is a continuation of his Magneto series so I'm sure its going to be the same old Mags.

I'm kind of hoping for the return of Joesph/Mangeto:

No Caption Provided

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Yea they definitely should not replace 616 Magneto. I don't understand the issue with the time scale and all. He's got a profound back story and really should be left alone. If they want to tinker with something then they should fix the Cassandra Nova stuff as well as all the other convoluted messes of some of the 90's comics. But then again who knows...someone felt like doing all these what-if stories and calling it Secret Wars while just stopping everything else, was a good idea.

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Only those on the two life boats and Doom/Strange survived the destruction of the marvel multiverse. That being said Bunn is doing the new U. X-men series after SW which he says is a continuation of his Magneto series so I'm sure its going to be the same old Mags.

I'm kind of hoping for the return of Joesph/Mangeto:

No Caption Provided

In continuity, it makes absolutely no sense we've never seen him since Danger released all of the prisoners X-men held in Utopia. And Exodus... oh wait, he's and agent of SHIELD! It could've been so funny seeing him hunting Magneto, fulfilling his contract ya know.

--------------------------------------------------

The current arc is all about flashbacks, the action in present is very slow paced and uninteresting. And seeing Bunn's work at DC, that's a f@ckin shame since he does deliver epic battles and imaginative approach to that specific trait.

Still very intriguing, I wonder what will be made of Polaris' reaction to that.

I don't think Maggie will be replaced, especially since Bunn still continues with him.

Avatar image for earthsmightiest
    EarthsMightiest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would be down with this version of Mags as well!

No Caption Provided

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

NO! And i seriously doubt he died or that they'll replace him since it gets rid of what was a seriously compelling character moment in his final actions before the world blew up..which considering the next book he appears in is by the same writer, i doubt it. ....

.....However if they did replace him

Magneto Mach 2
    Magneto Mach 2
    HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays: I hope Mach 2 survives. She would be an interesting addition to 616

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not to be a pratypooper, but Magneto, Lorna, Joseph... No, she kinda won't. Too many magnets.

Besides, any blasphemous thinking of replacing one and the only will be neglected immediately, with extreme prejudice if needed!

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Koays

@adamtrmm: @hawk2916: Lol well considering my track record of backing characters (Surge- only mutant from her generation to disappeared completely, Rachel- repeatedly ignored and now replaced with her 16yr old mom, Cyclops- GodDoom) I'm almost positive she'll be the only confirmed casuality.

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By adamTRMM

@koays:

Hey, I'm all for underdog uprising, just not replacement (unless it's a lame character being replaced or just offed in any other way).

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@adamtrmm: Well your right, I mean pick anything about the O5 and I'll tell you how it could've been done better with a group of teens we already have or with the actual current versions of the characters, all of whom are having their screen time yanked for a book about them. And truthfully better writing is almost always the answer as opposed to just throwing someone into the fire so you can slide someone else into their spot....unless its Fantomex..in which case kill it with fire.

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@adamtrmm: Well just get rid of Joseph and there you have it. Still only 3

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hawk2916:

You don't "just" get rid of somebody who's a perfect clone of Magneto, has no reason to hold back and is at his most powerful. :p

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays:

"I can drop the bomb and leave it undetonated!" - Bendis

That makes me think.... Why not bring "original Magneto" to the present? I mean the second he looks how this new baldy dropped his purple diapers, the drama will kick in unproportionally.

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@adamtrmm: Lol no.... I'm not saying that wouldn't be awesome....between his interactions with Magneto and his interactions with the O5 i'd be hype. But if we don't draw a line, this BS gimmick crap will continue to happen and we will never get an actual story that advances current characters again.

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@adamtrmm: The constant clone thing is really old and played out. So in this instance i think you should just drop him or let Magneto drain him or merge with him or something. Maybe in line with the movie have him as an Apocalypse horseman but we really should get away from multiples of the same character running around

McKlayn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

What if he did die and was replaced by like houseof m magneto? Not much diffedifference right? And what good is all these alternate worlds if no one sticks around from them

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

all the alternate worlds and versions of characters is part of the problem I think.

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By adamTRMM

@hawk2916:

The constant clone thing is really old and played out.So in this instance i think you should just drop him or let Magneto drain him or merge with him or something. Maybe in line with the movie have him as an Apocalypse horseman but we really should get away from multiples of the same character running around

I agree wholeheartedly and hope there will be a "no more clones" mandate, more so, I'd like Marvel have in-universe declare cloning 100% illegal and persecute clone criminals with the most extreme prejudice (an event maybe? lol), BUT (there's always a but) when done right, even a clone story can be good or at the very least not to be bad. Look at Stryfe, Madelyne, X-23, Kaine, and Superboy, they all have become pretty self-contained characters on their own, and while their full independence from the "originals" might be questionable, I think there's no need to elaborate how it CAN be achieved if the story involves a clone of a character with so much baggage. Yeah, I agree his introduction and initial story were beyond ridiculous, but he is in continuity already, he has to be dealt with. Why not in a best way possible? And there are possibilities and angles, like Magneto: Not a Hero has introduced. Them meeting face to face CAN be a good story if one can make it work and do something subtle with it.

@koays said:

Lol no.... I'm not saying that wouldn't be awesome....between his interactions with Magneto and his interactions with the O5 i'd be hype. But if we don't draw a line, this BS gimmick crap will continue to happen and we will never get an actual story that advances current characters again.

lol I thought you'd know I was just mocking the "concept" :p

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@adamtrmm: eh. I agree that if done right it could work. But really with this particular case I'd rather use him to restore Magneto completely and then discard him for good. I could settle for him being a permanent horseman of Apocalypse also.

Geforce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think Magneto is going to die. Marvel can't be that stupid. Magneto is probably one of the most important in the Marvel Comic Universe Combined. Magneto's character is so profound to just have him killed or to be replaced with another Magneto that we don't even know his back-story. Really, killing the most badarse Magneto (not to mention a 50+ worth of history) just to be replaced with another? If Magneto "died", it's because he saved Earth 616.

Now, to have another unpleasant Magneto, I rather see or have Polaris taking his place. She is the ONLY one to do so and not Mach 2 or Joseph and I hope for these 2 to stay dead.

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By adamTRMM

@hawk2916:

I kinda have that idea in my mind of how it could be very interesting in juxtaposition since Joseph kinda reflects what would Magneto be without his definitive backstory. Can a person with such power not become power hungry? What could this power unleashed mean for everybody else (since we've never seen Magneto truly unleashed) when nothing holds him back? Or could he become a force of good? And is there any escape from Magneto's overwhelming legacy if he wants to become his own man?

I never thought I'd like that idea of Maggie's clone, but Not a Hero did open my mind to a lot of new angles to it. I don't say this mini was that good, but the concept did leave a desire for more as for me.

I'll take you Horseman and raise it to the new Apocalypse himself since the real En Sabah Nur is nowhere to be found (Genesis be damned) lol

Or how about that, Clonehood of Mutants with Stryfe, Maddie and Miss Sinister, maybe even recruiting all other mutant clones and brainwashing them and turn it into a "Clone Complex Saga"! (that wasn't serious lmfao)

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.