Follow

X-Men

Team » X-Men appears in 13417 issues.

The X-Men are a superhero team of mutants founded by Professor Charles Xavier. They are dedicated to helping fellow mutants and sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them.

Proper X-Men reading order?

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#1  Edited By Gambit1024

Hi, I'm trying to play catch-up on all things X-Men, and I wanted to know if this is the order I should be reading in, and if there's anything important I'm forgetting. Note that I'm beginning with New X-Men, so anything before that is unnecessary unless it's EXTREMELY important.

1. New X-Men (Morrison)
    2. Astonishing X-Men (Whedon)
    3. House of M
    4. Deadly Genesis
    5. Decimation
    6. Civil War
    7. Rise and Fall of the Shi'ar Empire
    8. Messiah Complex
    9. Manifest Destiny
    10. Utopia
    11. Nation X
    12. Messiah War
    13. Second Coming
    14. Fear Itself
    15. Schism

I'd like to focus on the X-Men as a whole, but my favorite characters are Magneto, Cyclops, Iceman, Nightcrawler, Colossus, Kitty, Madrox, and Gambit. Anything with a spotlight on those characters would be fantastic.

VesKaGan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By VesKaGan

I would at least add Manifest Destiny, Utopia and Nation X to the list. If I recall correctly, Dark X-Men 1-3 is included in the Utopia TPB. They fit in after Messiah Complex and before Second Coming.

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Gambit1024

@VesKaGan: Are Manifest Destiny, Utopia and Nation X in that order? And are they before or after the Messiah War?

X35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 163

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By X35
    VesKaGan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By VesKaGan

@Gambit1024: As said, after Messiah Complex, before Second Coming. I don't know how Messiah war fits in, though ;)

If you read along the Uncanny X-Men Issues, it would be Messiah Complex (Uncanny X-Men 492-494) -> Divided We Stand (495-499) -> Uncanny X-Men: Manifest Destiny (500-503 - there is also "X-Men: Manifest Destiny", but I believe its a collection of one shots) -> Lovelorn (504-507) -> Sisterhood (508-512) -> Utopia (513/514) -> Nation X (515-522) -> Second Coming (523-525) -> Birth of Generation Hope (526-529) -> Quarantine (530-534) -> Breaking Point (535-539). Fear Itself would take place right before Schism, but you would have to buy single issues (540-544)

But you can skip some of these, of course ;)

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Gambit1024

@VesKaGan: Ok, I edited the list. Thanks for the info

tstarnes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By tstarnes
    krisis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

User Lists: 7

First: Thanks to linking to my X-Men Guide! I'm always happy when it can help other fans figure out what they need to know about X-books.

Second: TStarnes is doing a brilliant and difficult thing by cataloging things issue by issue, and I've definitely referred to his site many times!

Finally: My site does feature a Reading Order guide that goes from pre-X-Men #1 stories through the end of AvX. The key difference between it and many other reading orders is that it groups issues by story or arc, as I don't believe in splitting up stories and even single issues just to place a flashback or single panel appearance in the right place.

If you have suggestions on how to make it better or more useful, I'd love to hear them!

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By HAWK2916

When I went through mine I also added the New age stuff right after New Xmen and I guess simultaneous to Astonishing. Something else that helped me with Cyclops' progression especially in New Xmen was I think The Twelve ( Im a bit fuzzy on the actual name). I didnt buy this but read it from a friend.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a162dd41dd64
    deactivated-5a162dd41dd64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 100

User Lists: 6

@gambit1024: Ohhhh man, best of luck with the whole sequential reading order thing. I went through that a few years ago, and it's really really hard to track everything down. I suggest filling in any blanks you come across with wiki entries and such.

Jeanie90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Jeanie90

Must reads are:

-The Dark Phoenix Saga

-New X-Men (Morrison)

-House of M

-Messiah Complex

(-Utopia/Nation X)

-Second Coming

-Shism/Regenesis

-Avengers vs. X-Men

-Wikipedia (to fill the gaps, if you want)

Then you are up to date for Marvel Now.

mckenna1155

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Should I be reading every thing of new xmen before going into astonishing xmen

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.