Follow

X-Men

Team » X-Men appears in 13416 issues.

The X-Men are a superhero team of mutants founded by Professor Charles Xavier. They are dedicated to helping fellow mutants and sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them.

Plothole x-men days of the future past

jantjepeter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Hi,

I have a question of the movie is saw the other day AKA days of the future past and i was wondering about the following issue .

If Logan wen't back into the past by let say +- 40 years

wouldn't the new timeline already have started sooner then the moment raven pulls down her gun ?

Where do i begin with this,

The moment that Logan convinces professor x completely ( after xavier talked with himself in the future trough Logan's mind ) shouldn't that be the point where they started the new time-line ?

after all they do have like 40 more years to stop the sentinel being created before the sentinels come into that room and lasertarget xavier, magneto wolverine and kitty ... ) so xavier could of just used cerebro and track down the facility or the guy that's in charge that's interogating raven ( he has 40 years time i'm sure he will manage to do this ) .

It is in my opinion a HUGE plothole by the fact that the new timeline starts at the moment raven stops pointing that gun ...

It should of happened the second Wolverine gives his influence or atleast the moment magneto flies him to the ocean ( cz the future influence has stopped there ).

So if you think about it , Wolverine had been under water at the end during the final scene in the past , so the fact that kitty was bringing him back in time was 200% utterly useless for the last minutes , so theres no influence anymore from the future, yet Logan goes to the new timeline only after several minutes .

Am i wrong or is this a super major plothole ?

I needs feedback plox

Also couldn't Magneto just used alot of adamantium to create a large fin conceiled room so the sentinels can't get to them ?

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Koays  Online

There's a law in story telling that as soon as someone goes back in time it doesn't instantly change history until they succeed or fail...otherwise every step they take in the past would change the potential future. ...law of conservation

jantjepeter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By jantjepeter

Look , all i am saying is that it is IMPOSSIBLE that the dark future STILL exists after Wolverine convinced professor x during the scene where xavier talked to his future self that these sentinels are going to get created and destroy all mutants .

It would mean that professor x and magneto have failed to stop that program while they had 40 years of time to stop it ... ( they have no enemies, xavier can use cerebro to go trough their minds and brainwash everyone involved , etc ... )

+ what's about the big rush anyways, they have some time ( 40 years ) why do it so quickly and not take your time anyways.

Avatar image for oldnightcrawler
    oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

@jantjepeter:

"The moment that Logan convinces professor x completely ( after xavier talked with himself in the future trough Logan's mind ) shouldn't that be the point where they started the new time-line ?"

yes, basically, because that's when Xavier knows about the Sentinel future. But, at that point they still haven't actually done anything to alter history (other than break Magneto out of jail, which in itself seems unlikely to stop that future).

"It is in my opinion a HUGE plothole by the fact that the new timeline starts at the moment raven stops pointing that gun ..."

It should of happened the second Wolverine gives his influence or atleast the moment magneto flies him to the ocean ( cz the future influence has stopped there ).

So if you think about it , Wolverine had been under water at the end during the final scene in the past , so the fact that kitty was bringing him back in time was 200% utterly useless for the last minutes , so theres no influence anymore from the future, yet Logan goes to the new timeline only after several minutes .

the thing is, the two time periods aren't happening simultaneously to begin with. Just because we see the X-men in the future/present vanish right after Mystique drops her gun, doesn't mean that that's when things changed necessarily; while her not shooting the gun may have been what changed history, it still makes no sense to say "at the same time in the future", right?

When we see Wolverine wake up in the future/present at the end of the film, he's been there in that new timeline since it was created, it's just that his mind is going back to the time he left from, so it's the first time he remembers the old timeline that lead to him getting sent back in the first place. He's the only one who would remember the old timeline, so now he's confused because he's got two sets of memories, but he wouldn't have his memories of the old timeline until the point he got sent back in time from, which is where he wakes up at the end.

The scene really only exists to show that he was successful at altering history (and to give the old timeline a happy ending).

jantjepeter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By jantjepeter

@oldnightcrawler said:

@jantjepeter:

"The moment that Logan convinces professor x completely ( after xavier talked with himself in the future trough Logan's mind ) shouldn't that be the point where they started the new time-line ?"

yes, basically, because that's when Xavier knows about the Sentinel future. But, at that point they still haven't actually done anything to alter history (other than break Magneto out of jail, which in itself seems unlikely to stop that future).

There has actually been done something,

Awaking the knowledge and the passion to survive inside xavier .

Also we see that they send bishop back in time only to say something ( takes less then a minute ) that changes future , even tough they don't actually physically do something ...

So why shouldn't this be the case with Wolverine right .

@oldnightcrawler said:

"It is in my opinion a HUGE plothole by the fact that the new timeline starts at the moment raven stops pointing that gun ..."

the thing is, the two time periods aren't happening simultaneously to begin with. Just because we see the X-men in the future/present vanish right after Mystique drops her gun, doesn't mean that that's when things changed necessarily; while her not shooting the gun may have been what changed history, it still makes no sense to say "at the same time in the future", right?

When we see Wolverine wake up in the future/present at the end of the film, he's been there in that new timeline since it was created, it's just that his mind is going back to the time he left from, so it's the first time he remembers the old timeline that lead to him getting sent back in the first place. He's the only one who would remember the old timeline, so now he's confused because he's got two sets of memories, but he wouldn't have his memories of the old timeline until the point he got sent back in time from, which is where he wakes up at the end.

The scene really only exists to show that he was successful at altering history (and to give the old timeline a happy ending).

First of all with 2th timeline i mean the fact that Kitty brings Wolverine's mind 40 years back into the younger wolverine . And second, you can see the moments are simultaneous because Wolverine is yelling and suffering in the dark future from Magneto putting him in metal and throwing him towards the ocean . ( not sure tough )

I don't think Wolverine has 2 memorie sets, i think the Wolverine we see in the new timeline at the end getting out of bed only knows the following memories :

Everything of the old timeline, and the few hours in the new timeline ( as long kitty did her thing on wolverine ) .

Btw i still don't get what happened to Wolverine's new timeline mind at the end ( between his throw into the ocean and the moment the moment we see at the end where he gets out of bed ) .

Avatar image for oldnightcrawler
    oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

@jantjepeter:

"There has actually been done something, Awaking the knowledge and the passion to survive inside xavier .

Also we see that they send bishop back in time only to say something ( takes less then a minute ) that changes future , even tough they don't actually physically do something ...

So why shouldn't this be the case with Wolverine right ."

The difference is that Bishop is going back and telling people who know him not to be in a certain place that he knows the Sentinels will be, whereas Wolverine has to convince people who don't know him (Xavier et al) to convince someone else (Mystique) not to shoot yet a third party (Trask), so that hopefully that means there won't be any Sentinels.

There's just way more variables at play than Bishop saying "don't hide in that spot" and the X-men saying "ok."

"First of all with 2th timeline i mean the fact that Kitty brings Wolverine's mind 40 years back into the younger wolverine . And second, you can see the moments are simultaneous because Wolverine is yelling and suffering in the dark future from Magneto putting him in metal and throwing him towards the ocean . ( not sure tough )"

yeah, when Wolverine's mind starts to lose control of his younger body (at the peace summit), that effects his future self, but simultaneously still isn't the right word because simultaneously means at the same time, which is the opposite of what's happening in this case.

At that point in the story, they had already stopped the assassination that they were trying to stop, but they still hadn't stopped Mystique from trying to assassinate Trask again. (Plus they'd exacerbated the situation by having let Magneto out of jail, who was willing to kill far more people). So, while they may have already changed the timeline by that point, they still hadn't changed it enough to alter the future where the Sentinels took over.

but, yeah, by the time that Wolverine is thrown in the river, Kitty holding his mind in the past is really only making him experience drowning with his body full of rebar, since nothing he does after that has any effect, as it's Xavier who convinces Mystique.

"I don't think Wolverine has 2 memorie sets, i think the Wolverine we see in the new timeline at the end getting out of bed only knows the following memories :

Everything of the old timeline, and the few hours in the new timeline ( as long kitty did her thing on wolverine ) ."

Then why is he already a teacher at the school? why does everyone know him? if he only had his memories of the old timeline, it would mean that none of the X-men in the new timeline would know who he was, whereas he's obviously familiar to all of them, implying he's been in that timeline since it was changed.

his confusion at the end has to be because, as of his future mind returning to his future body (which has been alive the whole time), he has two sets of memories for the 40-something years in between.

After he gets fished out of the river by Mystique, he no longer remembers having been possessed by his future self, so that's where his new set of memories would start being made. That somehow still leads to him joining the X-men at some point in his new future, but at the point he would have been sent back from, he gets the memories of the old timeline back as he finally remembers being sent back to the past.

jantjepeter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By jantjepeter

Well as it makes sense what your saying, i still find it wierd that they wer in such a rush to stop the sentinels from being created ...

They have like 40 years, and they knew they had a HUGE advantage of stopping them cause they have free game there , they have 0 resistance .

Everything that happens in the dark future after Logan convinced Xavier in the past, is just pointless as your saying, just to make it a happy ending in that timeline .

You could say in the worst scenerio ( if your someone hwo really wants to justifie this )

that xavier and magneto lose their power over the times or something, or they get captured , and by that unable to stop the dark future , witch then still happens , what would explain the dark future scene we saw was still there happening .

But we see they both still live at the end.

Maybe it would be possible i guess but what are the chances that someone stops magneto and xavier in those 40 years , if we know they still have to be alive , knowing Kitty , and al those mutants at the scene would only be there if Xavier would have used cerebro in the past to find them, and other things and knowing xavier could just brainwash EVERY single mutant of what was coming in those 40 years with cerebro so creating a whole army to stop the sentinels from being invented ( or other solutions ) .

So unless some cosmetic energie comes to earth and hits all the mutants hwo knew about the future, and makes them forget whatever happened the past few hours , a new timeline should be made earlier from the scene we saw .

Btw why doesn't Xavier, Eric, and Kitty's mind transfer to the new timeline btw ? I knew they told it but i kinda forgot .

"I don't think Wolverine has 2 memorie sets, i think the Wolverine we see in the new timeline at the end getting out of bed only knows the following memories :

Everything of the old timeline, and the few hours in the new timeline ( as long kitty did her thing on wolverine ) ."

Then why is he already a teacher at the school? why does everyone know him? if he only had his memories of the old timeline, it would mean that none of the X-men in the new timeline would know who he was, whereas he's obviously familiar to all of them, implying he's been in that timeline since it was changed.

his confusion at the end has to be because, as of his future mind returning to his future body (which has been alive the whole time), he has two sets of memories for the 40-something years in between.

After he gets fished out of the river by Mystique, he no longer remembers having been possessed by his future self, so that's where his new set of memories would start being made. That somehow still leads to him joining the X-men at some point in his new future, but at the point he would have been sent back from, he gets the memories of the old timeline back as he finally remembers being sent back to the past.

Logan's conversation with Xaviers at xaviers office at the end,

Xavier : Logan don't you have a class to teach ?

Logan : A class ? To teach ?

Xavier : History

Logan : History , Actually i could use some help with that

Xavier : Help with what ?

Logan : Actually everything after 1973

Logan again : I think the history i know is a little bit different

Xavier reads Wolverine's head

Xavier: Welcome back * voice sounds like he's never been more fascinated *

Logan : Good to see you Charles , it's good to see everyone

Xavier: Well i have a promise to keep

Xavier again : We have a lot of catching up to do

Logan : ye

Xavier : What's the last thing you remember ?

Logan : Drowning

( So Logan knows nothing after he drowns in 1973 )

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.