Follow

X-Men

Team » X-Men appears in 13415 issues.

The X-Men are a superhero team of mutants founded by Professor Charles Xavier. They are dedicated to helping fellow mutants and sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them.

overrated

• 122 results
    Pania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#51  Edited By Pania

Rogue is overrated. Back in the 1980's, Rogue used to be the cool, sassy X-Chick. But during the 1990's Lobdell turned her into a co-dependent train wreck from which she has yet to recover. Carey tried, but he put her in a position the character was not qualified for: Leadership (and there were two characters on her team more qualified to lead than she: Cannonball and Cable), and her tenure as X-Leader pretty much turned into a disaster (Which resulted in part from her decisions to include Creed, Mystique, and Lady M on the team)  that made her a "woman in a refrigerator" for almost the entire run of Messiah CompleX. The character is salvageable, but it is going to take a *lot* of work.

Wolverine is definitely overrated and over used. Methos excellently outlined  how he is overrated in terms of power, but when they started heaping origin story on origin story on him, he became overrated as a character. He used to have a "Man With No Name" kind of cool, it was fun to speculate about his past. Now all the cards are on the table and he's just...boring. Plus he appeared on over a dozen comics last month. That's simply rediculous.

Storm is overrated in terms of her power. Since it has never actually been defined how she does what she does, many writers have taken it as carte blanche to write her as doing anything. Defeating the Silver Surfer? That was simply B.S. In terms of her character she was o.k. Having seen her utterly collapse and make some disastrous decisions in the wake of the Mutant Massacre (none of which she apologized for), I found her to be overrated as a leader. But as a character she was interesting up until her marriage to the Black Panther. She still can be interesting as she seems to be the strongest of the idealists amoung the X-men, providing a counterpoint to what they have become.

I would not say Cyclops is overrated so much as abused by writers who think murderous and abusive self absorbed hypocrisy are "cool". Emma and Scott's relationship is overrated. They have sex, we get it. We don't need to see it in every single damn comic.

I can understand the argument for saying Kitty is overrated. The way Whedon used her in Astonishing, yes. The way Claremont used her in MechaniX (X-Treme X-men) for instance, no.

Angel...he is overrated. Despite putting Warren through the wringer with the entire Archangel thing, he still came out of it the same boring guy.

IcePrince_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#52  Edited By IcePrince_X

Overrated X-Man for me:

1. Wolverine
    2. Cable
    3. Bishop
    4. Emma Frost

Avatar image for duke_checkmate_iii
    Duke Checkmate III

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

How the hell is Bishop overrated?

John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#54  Edited By John Valentine
    Duke Checkmate III said:
    "How the hell is Bishop overrated?"
    He's not: though hardly any of the characters that people mention are. 
    HellionVulcan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#55  Edited By HellionVulcan
    Blowout said:
    "

i got this topic idea off of the x-men forum on marvel.com. who do you guys think is the most overrated x-man?????

i say gambit and angel. they are cool, but their powers seem quite weak in comparison to those of the other members on the team(s). i just dont see why these two guys are SO popular.

"
    gambit at full potential is the x-men's most dangerous weapon Look up newsun but angel yes hes more background but archangel wheres it at for him but Beast also but wolverine is over-rated at times & way over used  .. .
    pixelized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#56  Edited By pixelized
    Shadow Huntress said:
    "Ah yes and Cyclops and Emma Frost are really overrated too.

Emma also needs to put clothes on."
    she even has a cape
    she even has a cape
    HellionVulcan said:
    "Blowout said:
    "

i got this topic idea off of the x-men forum on marvel.com. who do you guys think is the most overrated x-man?????

i say gambit and angel. they are cool, but their powers seem quite weak in comparison to those of the other members on the team(s). i just dont see why these two guys are SO popular.

"
    gambit at full potential is the x-men's most dangerous weapon Look up newsun but angel yes hes more background but archangel wheres it at for him but Beast also but wolverine is over-rated at times & way over used  .. ."
    they're diff people
    Avatar image for deactivated-5f10a0c8ad118
    deactivated-5f10a0c8ad118

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

Dazzler

Cyclops

Emma

Storm

Wolverine

John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By John Valentine
    TheDrifter said:
    "Dazzler

Cyclops

Emma

Storm

Wolverine"

How is anyone but Wolverine overrated?
    Chiarodanse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By Chiarodanse

Cyclops and Jean Grey. Never liked either of them.

Only time Jean was decent was when she was destoying stuff as the dark Pheonix.

Scott has always annoyed me.

Andferne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By Andferne

Wolverine no doubt in my mind is the most over rated X-man. My next choice after him would be Storm, but that really has to do with some fan based people on these boards (a while back), and at Marvel.com.

nathandan1222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By nathandan1222

is this mutants in general or the x men

Andferne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By Andferne
    nathandan1222 said:
    "is this mutants in general or the x men"
    Blowout said:
    "i got this topic idea off of the x-men forum on marvel.com. who do you guys think is the most overrated x-man?????"
    ^_^
    speedlgt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By speedlgt

OK I want some proff or someone to explain WHY WHY is wolverine on everyones overratted list? NOW lest not get overused and overrated mixedup now be fair I mean the man sells books and if you were the edtor you would do the same thing.

I dont mean to start some war but I wanna know I mean all yall say hes overrated

I think at this time stark is way overrated I mean WTF his character is now like hes Nick Fury, Cap, Batman , and oh yeah TONY STARK all the same time plus right now hes KING of the marvel U thats a bit much even for an Ironman fan

pixelized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By pixelized

stark isn't an X-man

speedlgt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By speedlgt
    pixelized said:
    "stark isn't an X-man"

yeah I know I dont care I want to show an example of my opinion of overrated
    Watch Dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By Watch Dog

Cable is by far the most overrated.  All he is, is the punisher from the future with telepathy.  Also, they use the old "I know secrets from the future" plot device way too much.  In closing, he's just plain lame.
    And to address the Wolverine haters; he is not overrated, you're simply mad because your favorite characters dont have as many titles or are on as many teams.  I dont hear anyone complaining about Batman for having too many titles, but everyone is always up Wolvie's adamantium ass about it, even WIzard!  Apparently someone like to read about him!

Erik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#67  Edited By Erik

I think Wolverine's power is just fine. I just hate how he uses it as a crutch. I liked it when he would try to dodge things. When he used to use his speed and agility.

John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By John Valentine
    speedlgt said:
    "pixelized said:
    "stark isn't an X-man"

yeah I know I dont care I want to show an example of my opinion of overrated"
    ...................... that fails as much as your efforts to show up Vance.
    mrsummers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#69  Edited By mrsummers

some
    caption
    caption
    times you have to be a jerk to save the world.
    John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By John Valentine
    mrsummers said:
    "

some
    caption
    caption
    times you have to be a jerk to save the world."
    Cyke is awesome.
    WARLOCK2792

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By WARLOCK2792

So many people nominate Storm.  For those who nominate her because of her powers, that's fine.  I could explain them if you'd like.  But if we MUST talk about people who are overrated because of "power", where's Magneto's old ass?

Avatar image for cezar_thescribe
    Cezar_TheScribe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#72  Edited By Cezar_TheScribe
    Rotten gun said:
    "

yeah there is proof wolverine is overated "the wolverine vs lobo crossover". i also cant stand jubilee so any time i get to bag her i feel liberated... JUBILEE... OVERATED!!!

"
    Lobo would tear Wolverine apart.  Most of their "fight" was off panel.

Jubilee is overrated?  I don't like the way she was brought back.

And, Storm? She controls the weather.

Omega-level mutant 
    Zoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#73  Edited By Zoom

Rogue.

Wonder Woman she is not.

Zoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#74  Edited By Zoom
    Pania said:
    "Angel...he is overrated."
    How can a character that so few people like be overrated?

If anything, he's underrated.  Most people don't realize just how fast he is.
    vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#75  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    Zoom said:
    "Pania said:
    "Angel...he is overrated."
    How can a character that so few people like be overrated?

If anything, he's underrated.  Most people don't realize just how fast he is."
    Agreed
    IcePrince_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By IcePrince_X

Emma Frost......... she ain't no MoonDragon or Professor X and yet she is being pitted to the likes of Rachel Summers which she defeated easily... I still wonder why, specially I read a lot about Rachel and there is no way she can be defeated by Emma. Selene is far more superior than Emma.

Cable..... the way he was build up is way too much.

Magneto....... he was made to look sometimes too strong even when he is at his weakest.

Wolverine...... it is quite obvious why he is always on top...because he is the bread and butter of the x-men franchise but for one no to be able to kill him even when his body is already skeleton...i do wonder if he can really die.

Glamour

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By Glamour
    IcePrince_X said:
    Selene is far more superior than Emma.
    i'd hope so, she's been around for millennia
    Renascence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By Renascence

Gambit, Psylocke, and Banshee.

Banshee's some strange cult favorite, but I really don't know what's particularly extraordinary about him.
    Gambit and Psylocke have had tacky characterizations for a while.  Betsy since her slightly offensive race change and Gambit since his inception as a "cool" anti-hero.

I also don't get why people like background characters like Match, who in addition to having no characterization, don't even have any wildly unique superficial qualities.

Lupine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By Lupine

You know what, people are probably going to throw things at me, but I think Xavier was overrated for a longtime.  Yeah, yeah, most powerful telepath in the world, extensive education, and man with a dream.  But really for a while all Xavier was-was a figure head-then they tried to make him an active force and things started to go weird and downhill from there.  It was only when Xavier died and came back for Legacy that he's been really interesting to me personally.

So in terms of pure character overrating, I say Xavier.  He's gotten better, but he could just as easily fall into the "perfect man" mold again and well that's just been sort of silly and all the attempts at changing it were just plain dumb.  A potentially slippery slope.
    Qoheed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By Qoheed

Wolvie never really did it for me; I never could get into him all on his own.

I never really enjoyed him, unless he had an X team around to share the spotlight.

WonderBoy1132

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By WonderBoy1132

Wolverine most def...

Magna_Gurl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By Magna_Gurl

Wolverine, Emma Frost, and def Rouge

Ranger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#83  Edited By Ranger

Shadowcat is rather underrated in my opinion. I think Wolverine is pretty overrated...I mean really, he's basically invincible >.>

Citizen Vance*

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By Citizen Vance*
    Magna_Gurl said:
    "Wolverine, Emma Frost, and def Rouge"
    Definately Rouge? Nobody even likes Rouge.She's not popular at all..she's not even doing anything right now.

Renascence said:
    "Gambit, Psylocke, and Banshee.
    How is a dead character,A character who isn't doing anything right now and a character who only appears in a non canon book Overrated? People like Psylocke,Gambit and Banshee..but they are hardly overrated.
    Kain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By Kain
    SeSAW said:
    "Neither Id say Cyclops, Emma Frost, or, Beast. Wolverine and Storm are cornerstone characters, even though i do agree that wolvies power level has gotten a bit dumb. But Id much rather see more of havok than cyclops, and would rather have Jean Grey than Emma. "
    How are Storm and Wolverine cornerstone characters while Beast and Cyclops aren't? Both were original X-men and are more important to the team than Wolverine or Storm.
    Chiarodanse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By Chiarodanse

Maybe in the past... but everyone knows they're cornerstones. ( No disrespect to Mccoy though) Cyclops has always been filler for me. Tell you the truth, Uncanny X-Men days with Storm leading was some of the best.

Erik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#87  Edited By Erik
    Kain said:
    "SeSAW said:
    "Neither Id say Cyclops, Emma Frost, or, Beast. Wolverine and Storm are cornerstone characters, even though i do agree that wolvies power level has gotten a bit dumb. But Id much rather see more of havok than cyclops, and would rather have Jean Grey than Emma. "
    How are Storm and Wolverine cornerstone characters while Beast and Cyclops aren't? Both were original X-men and are more important to the team than Wolverine or Storm.
    "
    False. If both Beast and Cyclops were killed, would it stop anyone from reading X-books? I do not think so. I know that if Storm and Wolverine were killed, a lot of people would have no reason to pick up X-titles anymore.
    WARLOCK2792

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By WARLOCK2792
    erik said:
    "Kain said:
    "SeSAW said:
    "
    False. If both Beast and Cyclops were killed, would it stop anyone from reading X-books? I do not think so. I know that if Storm and Wolverine were killed, a lot of people would have no reason to pick up X-titles anymore.
    "
    Too true.  Nobody flinched when black goliath was killed.  But if Storm got killed, there would be an uproar. 
    _Sojourn_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#89  Edited By _Sojourn_

Yeah, if Storm, or Wolvie got killed permanantly, then there would be no use for the x-men, for me at least, even though they are my favorite team ever

pixelized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By pixelized

storm is barely making appearances with them now as is.

WARLOCK2792

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By WARLOCK2792
    pixelized said:
    "storm is barely making appearances with them now as is.
    "
    Yup.  She's upgraded.
    pixelized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By pixelized

To.... ASTONISHING!

WARLOCK2792

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By WARLOCK2792
    pixelized said:
    "To.... ASTONISHING!
    "
    Astonishing, Fantastic Four, always being somewhere in the Black Panther series, making numerous cameo appearances, and sealing her fate as one of the best Marvel bitches ever so that she can be in all of the games...........Hell, she was in Spider-Man Web of Shadows.  That's pointless if I've never seen it before, but she was there though.
    pixelized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By pixelized

I wonder if she weren't black would things be different.

WARLOCK2792

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By WARLOCK2792
    pixelized said:
    "I wonder if she weren't black would things be different.
    "
    Of course things would be different!  A white woman being worshiped as a goddess in Africa?  It would be like King Kong All over again.  There would be uproar over there being yet another interracial black man/white woman couple. 
    pixelized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By pixelized

Hey hey hey, there are plenty of White people in South Africa.

WARLOCK2792

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By WARLOCK2792
    pixelized said:
    "Hey hey hey, there are plenty of White people in South Africa.
    "
    None that are being worshiped by negroes.
    pixelized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By pixelized

Adele

WARLOCK2792

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By WARLOCK2792
    pixelized said:
    "Adele"
    ...................Should I give up?
    pixelized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By pixelized

Even if it leads nowhere

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.