Follow

X-Men

Team » X-Men appears in 13416 issues.

The X-Men are a superhero team of mutants founded by Professor Charles Xavier. They are dedicated to helping fellow mutants and sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them.

Overdone and Overused

• 117 results
    Avatar image for doctor_malekith
    Doctor_Malekith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@doctor_malekith said:

I've sure had enough of the Schism.

you mean Cyclops, Emma, and Magik having their own team? because that's basically all it amounts to at this point.

I know what you mean, but it means Cyke is demonized by Wolverine, Wolverine is a hypocrite, there's more animosity between the two groups because of the O5 and Kitty joining the NXS, and so on. It's a big, stupid mess that I've grown tired of.

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52  Edited By adamTRMM

Schools! Starting to be annoyed by it, thanks to last year. Gillen specially made Cyclops say, how he trusts Wolverine to do all the classic X-Men stuff (including the school), so he could be that not holding back outlaw-fighter. Yet, he is held back now, by the same new kids and his new school that actually makes little sense.

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Psylocke's body. I can think of maybe one storyline she's been important to that hasnt had an instance where she is offered her body back. angst about her body. or gets her body back only to lose by the end.

Avatar image for oldnightcrawler
    oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

@oldnightcrawler said:

you mean Cyclops, Emma, and Magik having their own team? because that's basically all it amounts to at this point.

I know what you mean, but

1. it means Cyke is demonized by Wolverine,
    2. Wolverine is a hypocrite,
    3. there's more animosity between the two groups because of the O5 and Kitty joining the NXS,

and so on. It's a big, stupid mess that I've grown tired of.

I see what you mean, but

1. that doesn't really bother me, because I like the direction both characters have gone in because of it
    2. not anymore than he ever was. If anything, he seems more in-character than he's been in a long time
    3. This one I really do agree with, in that having the "O5" around at all has sort of kept some of the story from moving forward.

I guess I find that part of the current events pretty easy to ignore because I'm not reading All-New X-Men, but honestly I feel like most of that animosity has faded since that crappy BotA crossover, at least in most of the other books. With Cyclops asking for Wolverine's advice (in Wolverine & the X-Men #40), it feels like if these two have started moving forward again, their rivalry need not shape so much of the overall story.

@adamtrmm said:

Schools! Starting to be annoyed by it, thanks to last year. Gillen specially made Cyclops say, how he trusts Wolverine to do all the classic X-Men stuff (including the school), so he could be that not holding back outlaw-fighter. Yet, he is held back now, by the same new kids and his new school that actually makes little sense.

yeah, maybe, but school is kind of half of what the X-men are about. Yeah, Cyclops has his own school, harboring kids who are fugitives for being mutants and training them to be X-men, but what would he be doing if he wasn't doing that? Trying to bring down the government or what? He's still fighting fights and making stands that the other X-men can't, or at least don't.

To me it doesn't look like the students are holding back his mission, it looks like the students are his mission. I mean, that's what makes it the X-men and not, I dunno, the Brotherhood or X-force.

Avatar image for doctor_malekith
    Doctor_Malekith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By Doctor_Malekith

@doctor_malekith said:

@oldnightcrawler said:

I know what you mean, but

1. it means Cyke is demonized by Wolverine,
    2. Wolverine is a hypocrite,
    3. there's more animosity between the two groups because of the O5 and Kitty joining the NXS,

and so on. It's a big, stupid mess that I've grown tired of.

I see what you mean, but

1. that doesn't really bother me, because I like the direction both characters have gone in because of it
    2. not anymore than he ever was. If anything, he seems more in-character than he's been in a long time
    3. This one I really do agree with, in that having the "O5" around at all has sort of kept some of the story from moving forward.

I guess I find that part of the current events pretty easy to ignore because I'm not reading All-New X-Men, but honestly I feel like most of that animosity has faded since that crappy BotA crossover, at least in most of the other books. With Cyclops asking for Wolverine's advice (in Wolverine & the X-Men #40), it feels like if these two have started moving forward again, their rivalry need not shape so much of the overall story.

@adamtrmm said:

yeah, maybe, but school is kind of half of what the X-men are about. Yeah, Cyclops has his own school, harboring kids who are fugitives for being mutants and training them to be X-men, but what would he be doing if he wasn't doing that? Trying to bring down the government or what? He's still fighting fights and making stands that the other X-men can't, or at least don't.

To me it doesn't look like the students are holding back his mission, it looks like the students are his mission. I mean, that's what makes it the X-men and not, I dunno, the Brotherhood or X-force.

Yeah, I guess it's all a matter of opinion. For the record, I loved Gillen's run, but Bendis has kind of ruined the Schism for me. I suppose it's fine to ignore, but Wolverine and Cyclops are two of my favorite characters, and I want them to be in a book together and for the X-Men to just do X-Men. It's all my personal opinion. I guess I just don't like change.

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By adamTRMM

X-men are also about powers, yet the stories are not revolving just around that. What I say here is that right now all this Schools push is really boring and I don't enjoy this as the main concept, I don't mind it as the secondary. What would Cyclops do depends on what threats would writer make for him to fight, right now he does nothing special and he is about to steal a spaceship from SHIELD, so he could rescue O5, see what I mean? Right, that's what X-men don't right now, Revolution in its best.Cyclops wasn't supposed to be a regular X-man, that's the point of his "letter" was actually.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a162dd41dd64
    deactivated-5a162dd41dd64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 100

User Lists: 6

1. professor x dies
    2. jean grey dies
    3. the mansion gets blown up
    4. some old team is reunited again with no real story for why they are back together
    5. shadow king
    6. another mention of storm being clausterphobic
    7. the mention of thunderbird (the original one that died)
    8. alternate timestreams

I honestly really liked where things were going when cyclops took over and there werent new mutants all over the place right before x-force V2 was out. The X men were getting along, villans were interesting and cyclops had a hit list. Some x-men were fighting, some were in school and most all were in separate books and stayed that way.

Im trying to stick through things right now, but the storylines have gotten pretty bad. But comics have their ups and downs so ill try to stick it out. Ill admit im enjoying the 05 thing more than I thought I would and the uncanny avengers much less than I thought I would.

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By oldnightcrawler

Yeah, I guess it's all a matter of opinion. For the record, I loved Gillen's run, but Bendis has kind of ruined the Schism for me. I suppose it's fine to ignore, but Wolverine and Cyclops are two of my favorite characters, and I want them to be in a book together and for the X-Men to just do X-Men. It's all my personal opinion. I guess I just don't like change.

haha! I feel that!

I know what you mean about wanting to see them on the same team again, but I guess I'm just not in a rush. Mostly because

1. I'm genuinely enjoying Cyclops' current role as fallen leader in exile, having to rebuild his X-men without the other X-men. I think it's a cool direction for the character, and makes him a more distinct figure within the X-men's world than if he was still just the leader of the main X-men all the time.
    2. I really like that Storm's becoming more central to the X-men again. For me, she's as much of a favorite as Cyclops or Wolverine, but when she's on the same team as Cyclops, it always just seems like she's second in charge (if that), which just seems like a waste of so much of what I like about her. Now that she's finally in charge of the X-men again, I'd really like to see that play out more, before (or even, rather than) bringing Cyclops back.

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@adamtrmm said:

X-men are also about powers, yet the stories are not revolving just around that. What I say here is that right now all this Schools push is really boring and I don't enjoy this as the main concept, I don't mind it as the secondary. What would Cyclops do depends on what threats would writer make for him to fight, right now he does nothing special and he is about to steal a spaceship from SHIELD, so he could rescue O5, see what I mean? Right, that's what X-men don't right now, Revolution in its best.Cyclops wasn't supposed to be a regular X-man, that's the point of his "letter" was actually.

While I can totally see your point here, and I totally think that the "O5" should just be kept out of Uncanny' and stop distracting from what's good and interesting about the book, I don't think his team is any less distinct for adhering to the main mission of the X-men (to help and train mutants).

Cyclops' is fighting back against various law enforcement agencies that victimize people for being mutants, against government agencies that abuse their own citizenry -that's something the main X-men can't and don't do. And he's not hiding in the shadows or using any political leverage; he's doing it so that the whole world can see how horribly mutants are treated, how horribly any marginalized people can be treated by systems that ultimately dehumanize us all. That's primarily the threat Bendis is making him fight.

And that is revolutionary, for the X-men and simply by definition. Bendis has made this an actual polarizing issue in the story, showing Cyclops as not just a feared and hated criminal, but also something of a folk hero even to a growing number of non-mutant people, something mutants fighting mutants fighting robots never did.

Sure, the revolution may not be the focus of every issue (and, sure that may be because he's developing a new cast), but over the course of this run I think he's done a pretty fair job of showing what makes Cyclops' mission distinct and relevant among X-men stories, and by extension what makes Cyclops not a regular X-man.

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

While I can totally see your point here, and I totally think that the "O5" should just be kept out of Uncanny' and stop distracting from what's good and interesting about the book, I don't think his team is any less distinct for adhering to the main mission of the X-men (to help and train mutants).

Cyclops' is fighting back against various law enforcement agencies that victimize people for being mutants, against government agencies that abuse their own citizenry -that's something the main X-men can't and don't do. And he's not hiding in the shadows or using any political leverage; he's doing it so that the whole world can see how horribly mutants are treated, how horribly any marginalized people can be treated by systems that ultimately dehumanize us all. That's primarily the threat Bendis is making him fight.

And that is revolutionary, for the X-men and simply by definition. Bendis has made this an actual polarizing issue in the story, showing Cyclops as not just a feared and hated criminal, but also something of a folk hero even to a growing number of non-mutant people, something mutants fighting mutants fighting robots never did.

Sure, the revolution may not be the focus of every issue (and, sure that may be because he's developing a new cast), but over the course of this run I think he's done a pretty fair job of showing what makes Cyclops' mission distinct and relevant among X-men stories, and by extension what makes Cyclops not a regular X-man.

Just have to say that this line is a VERY strong defense for this book. And while I agree with at @adamtrmm 's sentiment that the book sometimes seems distracted (seemingly a slave to All New X-Men's events) and the revolution unclear, Bendis has done a great job turning Cyclops into a non-standard X-Man, and depicting him as a sort of a "man of the people" fighting oppression from the ground. I think the book could benefit if we saw more of him in the trenches and doing more things to explain his movement, but it's still an X-Men title so giant robots and space adventures are bound to happen even if it is another distraction from the premise.

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays said:

Just have to say that this line is a VERY strong defense for this book. And while I agree with at @adamtrmm 's sentiment that the book sometimes seems distracted (seemingly a slave to All New X-Men's events) and the revolution unclear, Bendis has done a great job turning Cyclops into a non-standard X-Man, and depicting him as a sort of a "man of the people" fighting oppression from the ground.

I really think the worst thing about this book is that Bendis is also writing All-new'. I feel like if this was the only X-book he was writing, and was therefore more self-contained, it would be a much stronger book. Like you say, they're a distraction (and a pretty contrived one at that) to what this book's really got going for it.

I think the book could benefit if we saw more of him in the trenches and doing more things to explain his movement, but it's still an X-Men title so giant robots and space adventures are bound to happen even if it is another distraction from the premise.

pretty much, but like you say, that's like basically any X-men book, from the worst to the best, so it's hardly a criticism that applies to Bendis' X-men more than any other. But what he's doing differently, that's what I like the book for.

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By adamTRMM

@oldnightcrawler said:

Yeah, and that's exactly how Bendis always works with his X-concepts since O5, all the nonsense that he build on that silly decision from itself to Kitty and Cyclops being unreasonable around them. I say - fail.

That's the problem with whole (main) X-franchise right now, them becoming total administrative sellouts, who are so afraid for their pathetic status-quo with capitalistic authorities and Avengers World, they forgot that the same actions of Cyclops, not a long ago, were actually the regular X-men business. Cyclops was about to become even more extreme, somewhere between X-men and X-force, minus the wet-works (only when necessary) and more for the unconventional big revelations of anti-mutant activities, no matter the political aspect, and what he is doing right now just... again, what exactly is he doing? Just replacing the JGSX-men? So what the hell are they needed for? Oh, the school... They managed to achieve all of these goals back in the day actually, should we blame the newly self-proclaimed all-leader Storm (who wasn't really there during most of pos-M-day atrocities!) for these spinelessness and failures? I don't know, but the same main direction of the books is really poor right now, that's what I do now. "Schools", wow.

And that's was the best part of this whole run, though I kinda find it hard to believe that he's actually followed by people, especially with all that Avengers'/governmental propaganda against him, but more then this, the videos of him going nuts all over the world destroying everything on his path, I guess they all know how "high" you get under PF, so they forgave him.

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@adamtrmm said:

@oldnightcrawler said:

That's the problem with whole (main) X-franchise right now, them becoming total administrative sellouts, who are so afraid for their pathetic status-quo with capitalistic authorities and Avengers World, they forgot that the same actions of Cyclops, not a long ago, were actually the regular X-men business.

I basically agree with this part (sort of), but I totally disagree with this. What Cyclops is doing now was never what any other X-men team did. Other X-men teams may have worked outside or above the law, or even been wanted by the law, but never before actively opposing law enforcement agencies, and certainly not in such a purposely public way.

The closest probably would have been when the replacement X-men got kidnapped by Genoshan magistrates, but even that was more of a the beginning of civil war in that country, and it was just that one story about one corrupt government, not the premise of the book being that seemingly all governments do this.

.. Cyclops was about to become even more extreme, somewhere between X-men and X-force, minus the wet-works (only when necessary) and more for the unconventional big revelations of anti-mutant activities, no matter the political aspect, and what is he is doing right now just... again, what exactly he doing? Just replacing the JGSX-men? So what the hell are they needed for? Oh, the school... They managed to achieve all of these goals back in the day actually, should we blame the newly self-proclaimed all-leader Storm (who wasn't really there during most of pos-M-day atrocities!) for these spinelessness and failures? I don't know, but the same main direction of the books is really poor right now, that's what I do now. "Schools", wow.

He's building a new team of X-men from scratch? If he's going to be be fighting, he'll need soldiers, right?

And the school has always been part of the premise, if you didn't like that, I don't know why you'd read X-men :v

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By adamTRMM

@oldnightcrawler said:

I basically agree with this part (sort of), but I totally disagree with this. What Cyclops is doing now was never what any other X-men team did. Other X-men teams may have worked outside or above the law, or even been wanted by the law, but never before actively opposing law enforcement agencies, and certainly not in such a purposely public way.

The closest probably would have been when the replacement X-men got kidnapped by Genoshan magistrates, but even that was more of a the beginning of civil war in that country, and it was just that one story about one corrupt government, not the premise of the book being that seemingly all governments do this.

Wasn't it? Then again that just shows how hopeless they are when the new threats are defined, they are still inactive. I mean, maybe not in a straight opposition, but they didn't have much trouble to oppose government-driven structures like Weopon X/Plus, Sentinels (recently SHIELD was assaulted because of that) and anti-mutant politics (at least on a negotiations level), now seem completely careless and when Cyclops told what he does he was only collectively accused by them, when they didn't even give any other alternative. So again, somebody really lost their way, the way I see, it's Just Cyclops is true to the cause, when I expected to see the General once again :)

He's building a new team of X-men from scratch? If he's going to be be fighting, he'll need soldiers, right?

And the school has always been part of the premise, if you didn't like that, I don't know why you'd read X-men :v

They are not soldiers, they are shocked kids, who DO hold him back, at least for the time until they're trained fighters. And it takes a year to turn kid into a fighter (believe me I know) and they also have powers, which only adds to the difficulty he already have plenty of. Recruits? There so many ex-Brotherhood/Acolytes out there, and with Magneto, it's like that possibility more than suggests itself, don't you think? I don't mind rescuing kids, but making them his own foot-soldiers as the main concept? He is a better strategist than this, we all know.

I never said I hate the schools, but I kinda dislike the way Aaron revived that concept and now it's overwhelming, one book that concentrates on a school (which is actually teen characters that are about to become new X-men) is a necessity, but four books? That's what you think X-men are all about? I read X-men for their beautiful metaphors, favorite characters since childhood + those who surprised me for good not a long ago, diversified powersets and I was always a fan of us-vs-the-world stuff :)

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By oldnightcrawler

@adamtrmm said:

that just shows how hopeless they are when the new threats are defined, they are still inactive. I mean, maybe not in a straight opposition, but they didn't have much trouble to oppose government-driven structures like Weopon X/Plus, Sentinels (recently SHIELD was assaulted because of that) and anti-mutant politics (at least on a negotiations level), now seem completely careless and when Cyclops told what he does he was only collectively accused by them, when they didn't even give any other alternative. So again, somebody really lost their way, the way I see, it's Just Cyclops is true to the cause, when I expected to see the General once again :)

That's an interesting way to look at it, and probably the way that makes this story most interesting for me.That Cyclops (and Emma and Magik, but mostly Cyclops) is basically in exile from the rest of the X-men -whether justly or not- gives him a more singular role than the other X-men collectively and highlights his own strength as a character/leader.

Seeing Cyclops as the competent leader of one of the largest and most powerful superhero teams on Earth (the X-men) is a role we've already seen him in, and isn't really that interesting for him or the X-men for that reason. Seeing him have to build a completely new team out of nothing but persecuted mutant kids and his dedication to his cause just seems way more interesting, to me, because a less experienced team makes the danger more tangible and victory, or even survival, less assured.

It also makes the other X-men more interesting as they have to step up into the many roles formerly held by Cyclops for so long as the head of the team, even while many of their decisions are framed by what they see as his mistakes.

As for being inactive, I disagree. I think coming into direct conflict with law enforcement to rescue mutants counts as active. I think training those mutants counts as active. I think training them to survive as outlaws against SHIELD definitely counts as active (not to mention Sentinels, Dormammu, or Tabula Rasa). And, as you point out, Cyclops has also been active without the students in situations where they could hold him back, like at the Sentinel base.

They are not soldiers, they are shocked kids, who DO hold him back, at least for the time until they're trained fighters. And it takes a year to turn kid into a fighter (believe me I now) and they also have powers, which only adds to the difficulty he already have plenty of. Recruits? There so many ex-Brotherhood/Acolytes out there, and with Magneto, it's like that possibility more than suggests itself, don't you think? I don't mind rescuing kids, but making them his own foot-soldiers as the main concept? He is a better strategist than this, we all know.

Part of him being a great strategist is because of his experience, which includes making the most out of the team he has. Yeah, right now he's mostly got a bunch of shocked kids with little to no field training, but that's all he had -all he was- when he first lead characters like Beast and the Angel to fight Magneto. When Cyclops and the other X-men started, they'd only been training for a matter of weeks before they were fighting insane terrorists with super powers. And they didn't have a kid who could heal their wounds, stop time, or teleport them to safety. This team at least has the collective experience of Cyclop, Emma, and Magik, even without their own game-changing range of powers.

Sure, he could have probably found allies in less need of his team's training than the kids he rescued, but, besides the fact that that would do these kids less good , this team needs him more, and are therefore going to be more receptive to his training. This way, he's building a team of team-players, whereas, if he was just recruiting already experienced characters, he'd be risking introducing more egos and conflict into the group which could ultimately put them all in even more jeopardy.

Besides, he's not making X-force, he's making X-men, so training should be implicit in the theme. Cyclops' (and Emma's, for that matter) strength as a character lies in his ability to lead, so it just makes him that much more interesting to have to lead an untested team, because, ultimately, that's more of a test of his leadership than moving a bunch of experienced professionals around the board.

I never said I hate the schools, but I kinda dislike the way Aaron revived that concept and now it's overwhelming, one book that concentrates on a school (which is actually teen characters that are about to become new X-men) is a necessity, but four books? That's what you think X-men are all about? I read X-men for their beautiful metaphors, favorite characters since childhood + those who surprised me for good not a long ago, diversified powersets and I was always a fan of us-vs-the-world stuff :)

See, I like all of that stuff about the X-men too, I'm just saying that that's all stuff that you can get from lots of superhero comics, whereas the concept of mutants in training has always been more particular to the X-men, and therefore one of the most central and distinct themes. To take that element away just makes it something else.

If you want

• beautiful metaphors,
    • favorite characters,
    • diversified powersets and
    • us-vs-the-world stuff

those things already exist is every other superhero team. What the X-men have that make them distinct, what the X-men are, is a school. Sure, that doesn't have to be the focus of every story, but it should at least be part of the context or premise.

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By adamTRMM

@oldnightcrawler:

That's an interesting way to look at it, and probably the way that makes this story most interesting for me.That Cyclops (and Emma and Magik, but mostly Cyclops) is basically in exile from the rest of the X-men -whether justly or not- gives him a more singular role than the other X-men collectively and highlights his own strength as a character/leader.

You're 100% right, so why are they stuck in doing almost regular X-Men obligations?

Seeing Cyclops as the competent leader of one of the largest and most powerful superhero teams on Earth (the X-men) is a role we've already seen him in, and isn't really that interesting for him or the X-men for that reason. Seeing him have to build a completely new team out of nothing but persecuted mutant kids and his dedication to his cause just seems way more interesting, to me, because a less experienced team makes the danger more tangible and victory, or even survival, less assured.

From nothing? You consider Magneto, Magic and Emma Frost (though she shouldn't even be here) "nothing"? I don't. Until Bendis, they were: one of the most powerful psychics, the feared master of magnetism, and a ruler of demonic dimension. It's a pretty good "beginning of a new era" I'd say. Anyway, more vulnerable for the sake of it? It's not something that we didn't see, "broken powers and kids against governmental machine" is no innovation, and it isn't that good to begin with, not when something bigger felt to be already settled by another, competent writer, whom Bendis decided to completely ignore.

It also makes the other X-men more interesting as they have to step up into the many roles formerly held by Cyclops for so long as the head of the team, even while many of their decisions are framed by what they see as his mistakes.

Yeah, and I'm still waiting for their competence to be seen, because right now still I haven't. I guess that's what K/Y are for.

As for being inactive, I disagree. I think coming into direct conflict with law enforcement to rescue mutants counts as active. I think training those mutants counts as active. I think training them to survive as outlaws against SHIELD definitely counts as active (not to mention Sentinels, Dormammu, or Tabula Rasa). And, as you point out, Cyclops has also been active without the students in situations where they could hold him back, like at the Sentinel base.

Is this enough? I would expect the world-wide mutant-containment policy to be exposed a little more, all they did for damn 18 issues (ok, I'll give you that, minus 3 Dormammu issues, 2 BOTA issues, and we stand on 13 now) is saving 5 kids, "wow". That's what I call directionless.

Part of him being a great strategist is because of his experience, which includes making the most out of the team he has. Yeah, right now he's mostly got a bunch of shocked kids with little to no field training, but that's all he had -all he was- when he first lead characters like Beast and the Angel to fight Magneto. When Cyclops and the other X-men started, they'd only been training for a matter of weeks before they were fighting insane terrorists with super powers. And they didn't have a kid who could heal their wounds, stop time, or teleport them to safety. This team at least has the collective experience of Cyclop, Emma, and Magik, even without their own game-changing range of powers.

Again, it isn't that part a mature writing I'd expect after Consequences. Do we really need a comparison with classics of a (then) pretty one-dimensional franchise that didn't even work until ANAD? Or what you try to say is they are using these kids BECAUSE their powers are broken? That's pretty low I guess. Another point of that letter he left for Wolverine was he, Cyclops, isn't going to be a school anymore, he isn't going to be that "Marvin Sue" to do the popular stuff, it is right there in the end of Consequences, he maybe hates himself for killing Xavier, but knowing the positive "consequences" of the whole confrontation - mutants are back, no matter the cost. Pretty extreme person I find, don't you? Is it the same person that's written by Bendis? After that whole OOC BOTA/O5 mess I can't even say I consider him that undeniably skilled strategist and a superior leader. Of course, thanks to Bendis.

Besides, he's not making X-force, he's making X-men, so training should be implicit in the theme. Cyclops' (and Emma's, for that matter) strength as a character lies in his ability to lead, so it just makes him that much more interesting to have to lead an untested team, because, ultimately, that's more of a test of his leadership than moving a bunch of experienced professionals around the board.

Isn't he? I thought that is up to you and me to decide, and that was supposed to be the most beautiful part of it. He is the new type of X-man that asked Danger to scar an "X" allover that man's face. And do we really need to test him and his ability to lead after everything he pulled X-men out of since Decimation?

See, I like all of that stuff about the X-men too, I'm just saying that that's all stuff that you can get from lots of superhero comics, whereas the concept of mutants in training has always been more particular to the X-men, and therefore one of the most central and distinct themes. To take that element away just makes it something else.

If you want

• beautiful metaphors,
    • favorite characters,
    • diversified powersets and
    • us-vs-the-world stuff

those things already exist is every other superhero team. What the X-men have that make them distinct, what the X-men are, is a school. Sure, that doesn't have to be the focus of every story, but it should at least be part of the context or premise.

What makes X-men more distinct and relevant is a beautiful humanity-criticizing aspect that, like you said, can be seen almost everywhere, but not on the same level of relevance. No franchise has Magneto, X-Forces, Weapon X's, Darwinism-driven questions, cosmic level footsies and above this all, no franchise actually makes you question yourself if the normal rules by which we live everyday might be not so morally just or accurate. All this is hidden in one little "mutant" metaphor, only waiting for a right writer to show up and exploit something more than the same 30 years old "civil rights" aspect. Literally, "living weapons" are compared to minorities as the most ponderable metaphor? I want more.

MatteoPG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Very thoughtful posts so far. I will just give my two cents on what turned me off x-men:

- Abused time-travelling. It's gotten to a point where sometimes it's disastrous to even do it, but other times you can kick your dad in the groin and you are still born the same.

- It's kind of part of the above one, but while the original 5 had an appeal at first, now they are just non-characters, instruments to narrate the actual characters better. It could be avoided with good character oriented writing.

- The constant loss and regain of the status quo by different characters, like Jean, Professor X, Colossus etc etc.

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By oldnightcrawler
    @adamtrmm said:

From nothing? You consider Magneto, Magic and Emma Frost (though she shouldn't even be here) "nothing"? I don't. Until Bendis, they were: one of the most powerful psychics, the feared master of magnetism, and a ruler of demonic dimension. It's a pretty good "beginning of a new era" I'd say. Anyway, more vulnerable for the sake of it? It's not something that we didn't see, "broken powers and kids against governmental machine" is no innovation, and it isn't that good to begin with, not when something bigger felt to be already settled by another, competent writer, whom Bendis decided to completely ignore.

I didn't mean it as a slight on Emma, Magik, or Magneto, I just meant that compared to having been the leader of a self-claimed sovereign nation, who's entire population was a well-oiled super-powered army, and which included recognized political leaders as well as some of the smartest people on the planet, it's like having to start from scratch to start over with only your ex-girlfriend, a man you've considered an enemy your whole life, and a girl you had locked in your dungeon. These are all Cyclops had to rebuild, and I think that's really cool. And I like what it says about all of those characters and how it seems to have effected them.

I don't think of it like Bendis making them "vulnerable for the sake of it", I think of it like he's making them vulnerable to put them in new situations to develop their characters. Maybe you just don't think he's doing a good job of that, but personally I've mostly enjoyed it so far.

Yeah, and I'm still waiting for their competence to be seen, because right now still I haven't. I guess that's what K/Y are for.

haha, yeah, the other X-men have definitely been floundering without Cyclops. Really they've just become sort of decentralized, but I think some of the other books are starting to look promising again.

Is this enough? I would expect the world-wide mutant-containment policy to be exposed a little more, all they did for damn 18 issues (ok, I'll give you that, minus 3 Dormammu issues, 2 BOTA issues, and we stand on 13 now) is saving 5 kids, "wow". That's what I call directionless.

Depends on how you look at it. If, say, Rogue, Rachel, Psylocke, Jubilee, and Gambit had all been introduced within 18 issues of each other, we might now consider that period to be really classic. I know those characters are pretty classic now, but they all seemed not as cool as the established characters when they first appeared; given time, these new kids story could become great too. So even if you just think of it as their introduction to the X-men, it still stands out as somewhat singular.

What makes X-men more distinct and relevant is a beautiful humanity-criticizing aspect that, like you said, can be seen almost everywhere, but not on the same level of relevance. No franchise has Magneto, X-Forces, Weapon X's, Darwinism-driven questions, cosmic level footsies and above this all, no franchise actually makes you question yourself if the normal rules by which we live everyday might be not so morally just or accurate. All this is hidden in one little "mutant" metaphor, only waiting for a right writer to show up and exploit something more than the same 30 years old "civil rights" aspect. Literally, "living weapons" are compared to minorities as the most ponderable metaphor? I want more

I don't disagree with you, I don't think, so much as I just don't have those same expectations of the X-men necessarily.

I think it's interesting that you bring up the "living weapons" idea, because that's another thing I like about the new characters. Collectively, they really do seem to represent a new kind of mutant. While none of their powers are really original in themselves, that none of them have overtly combat applicable powers (super stregth, endurance, speed, skill, flight.. uh I guess Goldballs shoots stuff, kinda?) is in itself somewhat unique for a team of X-men.

And that all of them were being arrested, not for unintentionally causing danger, but for protecting themselves (or others) puts them a bit outside of the traditional superhero team. You could argue that their powers might even be more powerful than the more traditional mythological powers of most X-men (or superheroes), but it's at least noteworthy that they can't cannonball special their way out of situations, that they have to be more clever because their powers don't make them supermen. Either way it's another thing that makes them (and their situation) seem more interesting.

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By adamTRMM

I didn't mean it as a slight on Emma, Magik, or Magneto, I just meant that compared to having been the leader of a self-claimed sovereign nation, who's entire population was a well-oiled super-powered army, and which included recognized political leaders as well as some of the smartest people on the planet, it's like having to start from scratch to start over with only your ex-girlfriend, a man you've considered an enemy your whole life, and a girl you had locked in your dungeon. These are all Cyclops had to rebuild, and I think that's really cool. And I like what it says about all of those characters and how it seems to have effected them.

I don't think of it like Bendis making them "vulnerable for the sake of it", I think of it like he's making them vulnerable to put them in new situations to develop their characters. Maybe you just don't think he's doing a good job of that, but personally I've mostly enjoyed it so far.

I think we already saw that he accepted what he has become, and was prepared to make painful sacrifices. He was driven to the edge, just like Magneto and Magik by their own means (Emma wasn't supposed to be with them!), and those people, now all of them with pretty extreme personalities, are united under one cause, fighting a war unlike any others. Just a thought of it is exciting isn't it? Nothing exciting about what Bendis does, that's what I'm saying. I won't call it a complete crap, yet I'm disappointed with Cyclops' insecure development, because I expected much more. Should I lower my standards because of that?

When he made vulnerable he made also dependent and irrelevant, really. They're only good in hiding and trolling SHIELD from time to time, or I'm missing something?

haha, yeah, the other X-men have definitely been floundering without Cyclops. Really they've just become sort of decentralized, but I think some of the other books are starting to look promising again.

One of the worst decisions by either, writers and editorial, was to unquestioningly push Storm to the leaders again. She wasn't with them for most of Decimation horrors, and was only present by accident during Second Coming, and no questions her authority? Protectionism at its best, that's why I find JGSCrew really hard to relate to.

Depends on how you look at it. If, say, Rogue, Rachel, Psylocke, Jubilee, and Gambit had all been introduced within 18 issues of each other, we might now consider that period to be really classic. I know those characters are pretty classic now, but they all seemed not as cool as the established characters when they first appeared; given time, these new kids story could become great too. So even if you just think of it as their introduction to the X-men, it still stands out as somewhat singular.

These characters have become classics because I'm pretty sure there weren't like two hundred X-character around already, and like three forgotten generations of new ones, don't you think? I don't mind them, even if I consider them unnecessary, especially when I expected more from the Uncanny team.

I don't disagree with you, I don't think, so much as I just don't have those same expectations of the X-men necessarily.

I think it's interesting that you bring up the "living weapons" idea, because that's another thing I like about the new characters. Collectively, they really do seem to represent a new kind of mutant. While none of their powers are really original in themselves, that none of them have overtly combat applicable powers (super stregth, endurance, speed, skill, flight.. uh I guess Goldballs shoots stuff, kinda?) is in itself somewhat unique for a team of X-men.

And that all of them were being arrested, not for unintentionally causing danger, but for protecting themselves (or others) puts them a bit outside of the traditional superhero team. You could argue that their powers might even be more powerful than the more traditional mythological powers of most X-men (or superheroes), but it's at least noteworthy that they can't cannonball special their way out of situations, that they have to be more clever because their powers don't make them supermen. Either way it's another thing that makes them (and their situation) seem more interesting.

I think this pretty common when a manifestations of powers that get noticed by governments, some of New X-Men were introduced this way I think. But the living weapon is already a big part of X-mythos, one of my favorites btw. Could we trust somebody to wield these powers and consider him an equal in the society, even if he says "I refuse to be defined by" and never uses them? Good question, don't you think? Everything that is thought-provoking and used in the right context and POV can be considered as expansion of this metaphor many of us (I believe) are hungry for. How many times we've seen misfits after gaining his/her powers go after their bullies? Same old, same old, and this is not just about this particular example, it's pretty much everywhere. So, to ask, not just for 100% innovation, but for expansion and creativity, is that so much?

PayneInTheAss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bump

Takeshi57

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All their main arcs involving a bunch of mutants dying over and over again. This time I guess it's not against another team, so they could have a chance to win...

Avatar image for theinsufferable
    TheInsufferable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

X-Men

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Apocalypse and four or twelve (13 To make it new :) ) horsemen. - I just love the idea of the coming of Apocalypse, the awesomeness of the horsemen

Storm and Cyclops fighting for leadership with Storm winning because we need a female leader for a change. Other marvel teams are being led by men.

Giant-sized xmen less Cyclops and Banshee. - Really love the strong personalities of Thunderbird, Sunfire and Wolverine. Imagine putting all three in one room. Also the awesomeness of Storm , the gentleness of Colossus and the likability of Nightcrawler.

Phoenix and Dark Phoenix because fox xmen movies were lame. I wanna see the phoenix entity in awesome cgi. I wanna see the xmen fight the imperial guard..

Phalanx - theyre cooler than sentinels.

PyroFN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jott. Keep Jean away from Scott.

Mooty_Pass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By Mooty_Pass

I have to say The Phoenix here’s why:

The Concept of the PF was that it was being of tremendous power and focus point or nexus to all Psionic Energy in the Universe and Multiverse. It had a great mystery behind it it’s Origin and power. That’s why I LOVED the PF(back then) Only a powerful Psionic was deemed worthy of the power of the PF. I thought that was COOL.

But now I HATE the PF. It destroyed the X-Men. It serves no purpose anymore, but be an escape goat. It’s been thrown around in other characters stories like it’s nothing. Heroes obtaining the PF like it’s Free Icecream at the Phoenix Force Bar. “You get a Phoenix, You get a Phoenix, of course you too Spider-Man and Wolverine, YOU TOO can be Phoenix” then kill it and erase it from existence with 3 words “No More Phoenix “ disregarding it’s purpose and what it stands for IN the Marvel Multiverse.

I HATE the Phoenix.

Another one is extinction. How many times does the Mutant population need to go extinct??? At this point I almost don’t care if 1 damn mutant is the only mutant alive(as long as it’s NOT WOLVERINE)

I’m done. :-)

Avatar image for deactivated-60e87a786cc9c
    deactivated-60e87a786cc9c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

keep jean away from Cyclops.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6b913edbeeb
    deactivated-5d6b913edbeeb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrnihal: Maybe I am really out of my mind but I actually want jott back ...lol To bring back someone who I want.....

BTW I have enough of those heroes vs heroes comics over the last 8 years ...which totally ruined x-comics for me

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Invain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@invain's meme. So many @Koays classics have been bumped that it has just stopped being as funny. ?

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@invain: But look at how great I was.

Invain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

PayneInTheAss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays: @invain: @adamtrmm: It´s not my fault Koays already did the juicy stuff :c

Hell, you should finish the run v run thing for that matter.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The real overuesd & overdone thing in x-franchise is throwing cyclops deep in the hole.Can they stop doing it?

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ahh these passionate discussions from the times when Vine was great.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By adamTRMM

@mrnihal:

5 years of shitty comics and Vine's general mismanagement left some scars that aren't easily healed. The people can't do it all by themselves. We need food and we need proper raw materials first.

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@adamtrmm said:

@mrnihal:

5 years of shitty comics and Vine's general mismanagement left some scars that aren't easily healed. The people can't do it all by themselves. We need food and we need proper raw materials first.

No Caption Provided
    Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays: @invain: @adamtrmm: It´s not my fault Koays already did the juicy stuff :c

Lmao if only you knew the truth

plus the current cache of posters doesn't inspire confidence in their knowledge of writers, runs and canon.

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays:

Now I feel bad we killed the guy's enthusiasm.

Invain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By Invain

I've been trying to get @koays to finish that for two years. He doesn't cuz... he's an alcoholic. The Bendis wars took their toll and drove him to drink.

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@adamtrmm: should we have lied? "Oh boy that new Asteroid M. and the whole set it right catch phrase is going to be a true game changer and not a disappointing waste of potential like the last 5 years. Golly cant wait to post it and read all the juicy CV reviews and editorials".

Wow...that actually broke my own heart a little.

PayneInTheAss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@adamtrmm said:

Now I feel bad we killed the guy's enthusiasm.

Wait you meant the user MrNihal or me? <.<

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

LordMordor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By LordMordor

It will take a lot to fix what has been done. Hopefully returning some things to old status quo will help....O5 back to their own time, Magneto solidly an antagonist (going to wait a bit before fully classifying him as a villain), Jean back alive, Logan back alive, Xavier back alive (and de-aged).

I'm fine with waiting a bit before bringing Scott back as long as after the dust settles we start getting some actually interesting storylines.

Things I want to see SIGNIFICANTLY less of:

1. Phoenix Force Shenanigans

2. Time Travel Shenanigans

3. Hardcore internal conflict (disagreements are fine, but I don't want to read about the kind of hard core resentment that was present during the Bendis Revolution-era)

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6b913edbeeb
    deactivated-5d6b913edbeeb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

2. Time Travel Shenanigans

lol U can't really get that for now due to Brisson ,i will not be surprised if some time travelling crap is being added to the upcoming Uncanny X-Men

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays said:

should we have lied? "Oh boy that new Asteroid M. and the whole set it right catch phrase is going to be a true game changer and not a disappointing waste of potential like the last 5 years. Golly cant wait to post it and read all the juicy CV reviews and editorials".

Wow...that actually broke my own heart a little.

No Caption Provided

PayneInTheAss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@adamtrmm:

Nah , I'm just waiting for the day mah boi Hickman announces he was misdirecting all along and he is taking charge of the

X-Franchise

Fast forward a couple years, said run is the most divisive yet mindblowing stuff since Morrison

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.