Follow

X-Men

Team » X-Men appears in 13415 issues.

The X-Men are a superhero team of mutants founded by Professor Charles Xavier. They are dedicated to helping fellow mutants and sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them.

Omerta is the solution to the LGBT problem

Moul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Moul

The majority of you maybe don't remember Paulie Provenzano (aka Omerta). Paulie Provenzano lived in Brooklyn and tried to join the mafia after he was discharged from the U.S. Army. The Mafia rudely rejected and attempted to kill him because of his mutant power of invulnerability. Paulie took out the goons and earned the attention ofJean Grey who recruited him into a new team of X-Men where Paulie adopted the codename Omerta.

Jean briefly leaves Paulie to enter the X-Mansion while she talks with Sunpyre on the front driveway. Paulie is thrown through the front doors moments later.Northstarfollows. Paulie protests, revealing his homophobia and Northstar protests as he is gay. Paulie dares Northstar to hit him, as he, Paulie is invulnerable. Throughout the storyline, Paulie regularly calls Northstar "Maple-Leaf" and puts him down for being homosexual Northstar's super-speed is enough to stun, but not hurt him.

The X-Men would fly to the island nation Genosha to try to stop Magneto and Omerta was very overconfident and apparently didn't realize how dangerous Magneto really was. Omerta stated that he was not scared of "some guy wearing a bucket on his head." This angered Magneto and Magneto attempted to manipulate Omerta using the iron in his blood but Magneto was unable to dos so because of Omerta's powers of invulnerability.

Although Magneto could not totally manipulate the iron in Omerta's body, he was still able to levitate him. Magneto levitated Omerta into space and coldly asked Northstar if he thought he was fast enough to save Omerta before he suffocated. Northstar flew as fast as he possibly could and was barely able to save Omerta. He took Omerta to a U.S. warship and gave him mouth to mouth, saving his life. Omerta disliked that Northstar had given him mouth to mouth but was still thankful of Jean-Paul for saving his life.

Now, I think the relationship between Omerta and Northstar is very interesting. Jean Paul is the first openly gay superhero and Paulie is an homophobic Italian-American gangster with super powers. In these days everyone is complain about the gay Ice man. People say "LGBT bullshit gets shoved down my throat enough!" or "I don't like gay people, why can't you respect my opinion?". I think the solution is a comic where there's a contrast between a gay character and another character who hate gay people (Have you ever seen "Dallas Buyers Club"?). They should work together in some adventures and become friends, showing kids there's nothing bad or unnatural in gay people. The redemption of Omerta could be the redemption of the readers. It would be cool discover the origins of Paulie, probably very violent. It would also be cool see Paulie live in the same apartment of Jean-Paul and Kyle. Northstar could be a sort of big brother\sister for Paulie, he could help him with girls and educate his temper.

AgeofHurricane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

I think the solution is to construct dimensional characters that don't become caricatures of their component traits. I'm not discrediting what you're positing--it's cool and all, but already the aforementioned scenario hinges on Northstar's being sexually attracted to other men and that particular disposition alone. He's a lot more than his sexuality but people think about him and it's all "oh, yeah, that gay X-guy"--that's what annoys me, anyways and the postulated compromise is far too generous if you ask me. I mean, isn't intercourse supposed to be a private practice, in and of itself?

In addition to a gamut of other credible and not-so-credible reasons, Iceman's recent revelation invokes umbrage because, well, aside from it being a little ham-fisted, it's now become the focal point of his character for the time being. Like, Bobby's funny, he's everybody's favorite impossible baboon, he's compassionate and many other things, including being homosexual. Why not not just present characters being the sum of their many parts in a comprehensible way? It's really not that hard.

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@moul: Nobody's idea of what is right is everybody's idea of what is right.

Really just stop it.

Veitha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Omophobic Italian-American gangster called Omerta. The character is a living problem, really. Who created it? The only Italian X-Men is like the mix of every stereotipe they could imagine. And really, no Italian would could himself like that.

DarkDay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Omerta is dead.

Still I don't get why are so many people desperate to whitewash everybody with a differing opinion of what they call "right"... No one cares for contrasts and diversity (yeah, diversity!) anymore me think..

Veitha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@darkday: right, and I also forgot about Guido Carosella. And guess what all three of them are actually Guidos in some way

John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Ha, Omerta sucked so much.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.