Okay... SERIOUSLY?!?!

• 61 results
#1 Edited by Timandm (3374 posts) - - Show Bio

We've had a little fun looking at some of the WTF moments in the X-Men movies...  Let's have the same kind of fun with the comic books, shall we?  I'll get the ball rolling...

Madison Jeffries... He's a mutant with a SERIOUSLY kewl power...

Inorganic Psionic Transmutation: allows him to mentally restructure glass, plastic, and metal to anything within his imagination. He can psionically levitate objects made of any of these three substances. Jeffries can psionically rearrange parts of machinery into various forms, and he is particularly skilled at psionically restructuring machinery into duplicating the form and functions of parts of the human body. Jeffries can also psionically manipulate metal on the atomic and molecular levels. 

He used his power to help build this: 

Not long afterwards, he would end up merging with BOX (the robot suit). 

Not only could he control it, but he could change it at will with just a thought. into a jet or a freaking spaceship!  Does it get much kewler than that?    

Okay, now jump ahead a few years... The Island (rock on a stick) of Utopia.  Hope Summers has just returned...  The end of the "Second Coming" story arc...  Karma lost her leg in action and Madison Jeffries uses his power to make her a bionic leg...  How hard could it be, right?  He can make an ENTIRE robotic suit, or an entire SPACE ship...  He could copy the technology that made the cybernetic arms of Bucky Barnes (Captain America) or Misty Knight, right???  It's almost TOO easy... So, what does he come up with???

Okay... Seriously?  SERIOUSLY?!?!    IT LOOKS LIKE A COUPLE OF RODS HELD TOGETHER BY BIG SCREWS!!!  What was he going for?  RETRO?  Really?  He couldn't do ANY better than this?  REALLY?
#2 Posted by TheCrowbar (4286 posts) - - Show Bio

It's his taste. He sees it more as a piece of art than something she has to live with.

#3 Posted by xerogod (205 posts) - - Show Bio

i hate second coming
#4 Posted by cosmo111687 (1489 posts) - - Show Bio

What really gets to me is how casually they adjust to having missing limbs.

#5 Posted by Timandm (3374 posts) - - Show Bio
@cosmo111687 said:
Well, these ARE people who are used to coming back from the dead...  Shoot, coming back from the dead is practically a requirement for member in the X-Men...
#6 Posted by Rod_The_Blade_Star (53 posts) - - Show Bio

For me it was when sunfire voluntarily cooperated with apocalypse. I thought don't you remember when he tried to kill you and 11 other uber powerful mutants and become a god. Sure he can give you back you legs but at what cost man, at what cost.

#7 Edited by madrid_san (1805 posts) - - Show Bio

actually she is quite depressed. if you read the stories in Mutants vs Vampires, it shows how difficult it is for her to cope with her bionic leg. Also, she quite the NM for now to give herself time to recover. Hellion is pretty depressed and lashed out several times. But they are professionals and learn to live with it. Can't underestimate the human spirit my friend :)
#8 Posted by cosmo111687 (1489 posts) - - Show Bio
@Timandm said:
@cosmo111687 said:
Well, these ARE people who are used to coming back from the dead...  Shoot, coming back from the dead is practically a requirement for member in the X-Men...  
Yeah, but these are just kids. And they just lost their limbs. And the first thing on your mind probably isn't whither or not your prosthetic is going to be sexy or cracking a joke about your lost hands as much as "God, I just lost my leg. I just lost my leg! And I came this close to losing my life! And any moment now, those anti-mutant guys are coming for me again...any moment now....Why is this happening to me? Why is this happening to me?..." 

And you can't say that they're all used to death and dismemberment when there's a massive scene set aside to pay respects for Nightcrawler's death. 

It's just really unnatural, poor writing.
#9 Posted by Amegashita (3601 posts) - - Show Bio
@cosmo111687:  I can't help but agree with you on the subject.  It's really odd how well they're taking the loss of their limbs.
#10 Posted by Timandm (3374 posts) - - Show Bio
@cosmo111687 said:
@Timandm said:
@cosmo111687 said:
Yeah, but these are just kids. And they just lost their limbs. And the first thing on your mind probably isn't whither or not your prosthetic is going to be sexy or cracking a joke about your lost hands as much as "God, I just lost my leg. I just lost my leg! And I came this close to losing my life! And any moment now, those anti-mutant guys are coming for me again...any moment now....Why is this happening to me? Why is this happening to me?..."  And you can't say that they're all used to death and dismemberment when there's a massive scene set aside to pay respects for Nightcrawler's death.  It's just really unnatural, poor writing.
Well, Karma, the one getting the prosthetic leg, has died AT LEAST one time already.  There might have been more times...
Also, it appears that some time has passed since the fight.  It could be a week or two later.  I do seem to recall a scene where someone was examining what was left of her leg and her calling them an idiot.  So, it's not RIGHT after... She has had SOME time.  And there's probably a lot going on behind the scenes that the writers simply don't have space to put into the book.

Also, Julian hasn't been taking it well at all...  In fact, he's been lashing out at everyone.  Even Dr. Rao who tried to make new hands for him...  He trashed her lab.
#11 Edited by Edgeworth_11 (4656 posts) - - Show Bio
@Amegashita said:

@cosmo111687:  I can't help but agree with you on the subject.  It's really odd how well they're taking the loss of their limbs.

Dude, did you just completely ignored what Madridsan said? If you read some of the other books, you can see them struggling to cope with their problems. 
#12 Posted by Renchamp (2285 posts) - - Show Bio

Yikes. This got off topic. I was looking forward to more examples (as I don't have any off the top o' my dome).

#13 Posted by Amegashita (3601 posts) - - Show Bio
@Edgeworth_11:  Uh, no.  I did not.  That's all I'm willing to say to you.
#14 Posted by Edgeworth_11 (4656 posts) - - Show Bio
@Amegashita said:
Cuz you know you are wrong.
#15 Posted by TheCrowbar (4286 posts) - - Show Bio
@Edgeworth_11 said:
@Amegashita said:
Yeah! How dare you not read every issue and know these characters through and through!
#16 Posted by Edgeworth_11 (4656 posts) - - Show Bio
@TheCrowbar said:
@Edgeworth_11 said:
@Amegashita said:
Yeah! How dare you not read every issue and know these characters through and through!
Are you being sarcastic? 
#17 Posted by TheCrowbar (4286 posts) - - Show Bio
@Edgeworth_11 said:
@TheCrowbar said:
@Edgeworth_11 said:
@Amegashita said:
Are you being sarcastic? 
Verily
#18 Posted by Edgeworth_11 (4656 posts) - - Show Bio
@TheCrowbar said:
@Edgeworth_11 said:
@TheCrowbar said:
@Edgeworth_11 said:
@Amegashita said:
Are you being sarcastic? 
Verily
Than you shouldnt comment. IF you read the books, you will see said scenes of adapting and mourning over lost limbs, etc. Just makes you look bad.
#19 Posted by Tigerstriper (455 posts) - - Show Bio
@Timandm: Makes you miss Forge doesn't it?  I liked him, but he makes things too easy. It was sad to see him go out of his tree.

The whole Jean Grey/Phoenix thing bugged me for years. I'll sum it up like this.

Jean Grey was about to die, but she was saved by the Phoenix Force, becoming Phoenix. 
Thanks to those Hellfire jerks she's evil.  
She wiped out the D'Bari.
Professor X helped fix her, she's okay.
The Shi'Ar have to kill her.
She killed herself. Jean is gone. 
Wait, Jean is alive, she wasn't Phoenix afterall. 
Scott thinks she might be Phoenix. Hank says she can't be Phoenix, she never was Phoenix.
Wolverine stabs Jean to spare her from dying in Magneto's trap.
She's alive and she's Phoenix again.
Now she's dead... again.... 
Phoenix Endsong

AAAAAAAGGHHHHHHHH!!!!!
#20 Posted by Timandm (3374 posts) - - Show Bio
@Tigerstriper: BIG TIME missing Forge!

Killing him like that was just wrong...  I hate to see storylines where super heroes get angry at other super beings for fighting crime or evil in a way that is DIFFERENT from the way THEY do it...

And yes, they SO need forge...  I've often thought how kewl it would be to combine Forge and Madison's powers, but then that might just be too much power...  But then I can't help but wonder, why not have a telepath link Dr. Nemesis's mind with Madison's so that you have the super genius and the maker working in unison?  Shoot, have all the geniuses link with him...

Your summary of Jean is GREAT!!!! May I edit one thing?

Jean Grey was about to die, but she was saved by the Phoenix Force, becoming Phoenix. 
Thanks to those Hellfire jerks she's evil.  
She wiped out the D'Bari.
Professor X helped fix her, she's okay.
The Shi'Ar have to kill her.
She killed herself. Jean is gone. 
Wait, Jean is alive, she wasn't Phoenix afterall. 
Scott thinks she might be Phoenix. Hank says she can't be Phoenix, she never was Phoenix.
Wolverine stabs (and kills) Jean to spare her from dying in Magneto's(Xorn pretending to be...) trap.  Death saves her from dying...in the sun....
She's alive and she's Phoenix again.
Now she's dead... again....  
But she IS The Peonix so she will rise again....to die again....

Phoenix Endsong
#21 Posted by Timandm (3374 posts) - - Show Bio
@TheCrowbar: You really said "Verily" ?  LOL!!!! You Shakespearean vocabulary god, you!
#22 Edited by TheCrowbar (4286 posts) - - Show Bio
@Edgeworth_11 said:

@TheCrowbar said:

@Edgeworth_11 said:
@TheCrowbar said:
@Edgeworth_11 said:
@Amegashita said:
Are you being sarcastic? 
Verily
Than you shouldnt comment. IF you read the books, you will see said scenes of adapting and mourning over lost limbs, etc. Just makes you look bad.
Maybe you shouldn't be so "up in arms," about a mistake? You do know that not everyone buys every issue of a series, for varying reasons, if he's wrong point it out. Move on.

There was a 7 minute difference between the person who posted the correction and his comment.

@Timandm said:
@TheCrowbar: You really said "Verily" ?  LOL!!!! You Shakespearean vocabulary god, you!
I find a Early Modern English(Shakespeare and KJ Bible) lightens tension.
#23 Posted by joshmightbe (24599 posts) - - Show Bio
@cosmo111687 said:
@Timandm said:
@cosmo111687 said:
Yeah, but these are just kids. And they just lost their limbs. And the first thing on your mind probably isn't whither or not your prosthetic is going to be sexy or cracking a joke about your lost hands as much as "God, I just lost my leg. I just lost my leg! And I came this close to losing my life! And any moment now, those anti-mutant guys are coming for me again...any moment now....Why is this happening to me? Why is this happening to me?..."  And you can't say that they're all used to death and dismemberment when there's a massive scene set aside to pay respects for Nightcrawler's death.  It's just really unnatural, poor writing.
while I agree the Xmen haven't been written well for a while now at this point they should be having a bit of a soldier mentality not saying they should just be cool with death and losing limbs but every soldier I know like my uncles who were in Vietnam have told me they did their best not to focus on those things because if they did they'd have lost their minds (I'm paraphrasing but that has been the general gist of the thought)
#24 Posted by Edgeworth_11 (4656 posts) - - Show Bio
@TheCrowbar said:
@Edgeworth_11 said:
@TheCrowbar said:
@Edgeworth_11 said:
@TheCrowbar said:
@Edgeworth_11 said:
@Amegashita said:
Are you being sarcastic? 
Verily
Maybe you shouldn't be so "up in arms," about a mistake? You do know that not everyone buys every issue of a series, for varying reasons, if he's wrong point it out. Move on.  There was a 7 minute difference between the person who posted the correction and his comment.
Ignorance is a bliss...
#25 Posted by cosmo111687 (1489 posts) - - Show Bio
@Timandm@madrid_san: Oh, yeah? Well, I apologize. My familiarity with these characters doesn't extend much further than what I've seen of them in Second Coming and the X-23 series (And it's been so long since I've read them that I only vaguely remember the context of those scenes). Still, I think their reactions are pretty bizarre in those scenes. I mean, it just comes off as really vacuous and shallow to insist upon receiving a "sexy" prosthetic after having lost your leg. There are much greater concerns. 

@madrid_san
: I admire your optimism. You definitely can't underestimate the human spirit. :)
#26 Posted by Timandm (3374 posts) - - Show Bio
@joshmightbe said:
@cosmo111687 said:
@Timandm said:
@cosmo111687 said:
while I agree the Xmen haven't been written well for a while now at this point they should be having a bit of a soldier mentality not saying they should just be cool with death and losing limbs but every soldier I know like my uncles who were in Vietnam have told me they did their best not to focus on those things because if they did they'd have lost their minds (I'm paraphrasing but that has been the general gist of the thought)
and this is an excellent point...
#27 Posted by Timandm (3374 posts) - - Show Bio
@cosmo111687: You don't have to apologize to me for anything... Can you imagine how boring the world would be if we all saw everything the same way?
#28 Posted by Amegashita (3601 posts) - - Show Bio
@Edgeworth_11:   Next time you decide to write out such an incredulous comment, I commend you to stop.  Instead of calling me out, you should just not bother.  I was going to just ignore you, but I'm not gonna sit here while you insult me like you know me.  When I said they were taking it well, I obviously didn't mean it in the sense that they are, all over the fact that they lost their limbs.  That's a ridiculous statement.  What I meant was that, most of the characters are just reacting in anger about their missing limbs, "I lost my hands, I'm pissed", you know what it sounds like to me?  "I just got dumped by my girlfriend, I'm pissed".  When people lose limbs, it's often the case where that missing limb will start ringing out in pain throughout their body, and it's happened a lot, not only that but most of the time you lose a limb, it interferes with your work forever.  Yet there is no signs of this happening from what I've read.  Once again, I agree with cosmo.  So once again, keep your incredulous comments to yourself.  
#29 Posted by CATPANEXE (9368 posts) - - Show Bio

the character is only as intelligent and creative as the writer is?

#30 Posted by Edgeworth_11 (4656 posts) - - Show Bio
@Amegashita said:
@Edgeworth_11:   Next time you decide to write out such an incredulous comment, I commend you to stop.  Instead of calling me out, you should just not bother.  I was going to just ignore you, but I'm not gonna sit here while you insult me like you know me.  When I said they were taking it well, I obviously didn't mean it in the sense that they are, all over the fact that they lost their limbs.  That's a ridiculous statement.  What I meant was that, most of the characters are just reacting in anger about their missing limbs, "I lost my hands, I'm pissed", you know what it sounds like to me?  "I just got dumped by my girlfriend, I'm pissed".  When people lose limbs, it's often the case where that missing limb will start ringing out in pain throughout their body, and it's happened a lot, not only that but most of the time you lose a limb, it interferes with your work forever.  Yet there is no signs of this happening from what I've read.  Once again, I agree with cosmo.  So once again, keep your incredulous comments to yourself.  
I'm good thanks. Just pointing out the error in your message. 
#31 Edited by Amegashita (3601 posts) - - Show Bio
@Edgeworth_11:  Yes, because calling me out and insulting me is simply "pointing out the error" in my message ./sarcasm. 

Next time, keep your little comment to yourself.  It'll do you more good.
#32 Posted by FortressoftheMoon (678 posts) - - Show Bio

All I have to say is thanks for the pic of Hellion with no hands. I hate that guy and that pic made my day.  BOOYAH!

#33 Posted by Timandm (3374 posts) - - Show Bio
@CATPANEXE said:
the character is only as intelligent and creative as the writer is?
Couldn't agree more....
#34 Posted by Edgeworth_11 (4656 posts) - - Show Bio
@Amegashita said:
@Edgeworth_11:  Yes, because calling me out and insulting me is simply "pointing out the error" in my message ./sarcasm.    Next time, keep your little comment to yourself.  It'll do you more good.
I didn't insult you. I just pointed out your error. Simply that was all.
#35 Posted by Edgeworth_11 (4656 posts) - - Show Bio
X-Men: Legacy #242
X-Men: Legacy #242 
#36 Edited by Timandm (3374 posts) - - Show Bio
@FortressoftheMoon said:

All I have to say is thanks for the pic of Hellion with no hands. I hate that guy and that pic made my day.  BOOYAH!

Ouch, that's cold... Yes, he's been a SERIOUS jerk/tool...  He's been arrogant, condescending, and rash.....  Who didn't dislike him during the days of Academy X?  
 But do you remember who it was that first stood up and said that it was wrong to turn their backs on Wither?  (Back before Wither became an evil murdering asshat.)
Remember who stood up FOR X-23, AGAINST the orders of Emma Frost, when she made the students have a free for all combat session to determine which would be X-Men?  She gave the order to take X-23 out...Hellion defended Laura...
Remember who refused to let X-23 try to save Cessily alone? 

He's matured... He's grown as a person... He has it in him to be one of the greatest leaders the X-Men have ever had...  At least, I think so...
#37 Posted by Amegashita (3601 posts) - - Show Bio
@Edgeworth_11:  So saying I don't read the books or that I don't read the books deeply enough, and implying me to be ignorant is not an insult?  Boy, how the times have changed.  ./sarcasm

Like I said before, keep your little incredulous comments to yourself.
#38 Posted by Tigerstriper (455 posts) - - Show Bio
@Timandm: Please please please do not get me started on Xorn-eto!
#39 Posted by Timandm (3374 posts) - - Show Bio
@Tigerstriper said:

speaking of Xorn-eto!

#40 Posted by cosmo111687 (1489 posts) - - Show Bio
@Timandm said:
@Tigerstriper said:

speaking of Xorn-eto!

Haha! XD
#41 Posted by Edgeworth_11 (4656 posts) - - Show Bio
@Amegashita said:
@Edgeworth_11:  So saying I don't read the books or that I don't read the books deeply enough, and implying me to be ignorant is not an insult?  Boy, how the times have changed.  ./sarcasm   Like I said before, keep your little incredulous comments to yourself.

You keep repeating the same thing.  Just letting you know your comments were not accurate. Don't take it so personal.
#42 Posted by SC (12691 posts) - - Show Bio
@Amegashita said:

@Edgeworth_11 said:
@Amegashita said:

Sorry, but this subject/topic caught my eye. To me, this is essentially  

One person, has read a story, and to them, the narrative, isn't adequate. Its got nothing to do with objective truths here, comics are open to interpretation, and sometimes, what is intended doesn't come across as well in execution. Can anyone point me to anyone who buys every comic story because they are all equally good? No, its discretion.  

Person 2? They find the narrative believable, they find the story credible, and they don't see fault. Its enough for them. Its possible they have read more of the story material. Its even possible they have read less. It doesn't matter its all about interpretation and discretion. What this means is that no one in this discussion was wrong. Edgeworth_11? If I may? Can you not consider that the story presented to you, justifiably explains and explores in a serious manner the lost of limbs, thats great, I would share a similar perspective, but can you not sincerely see how other people can differ here and find the treatment, the narrative, not substantial enough? Since thats Amegashita. Its not "cuz they know they are wrong" but almost obviously its just not good enough for them, and thats okay. I am sure you are critical of stories they are fond of in execution right?  

I mean, surely you can realize your post above has a certain tone to it, thats a bit, you know? Could you not just point to point to some story arcs and issues which delved into limb lost and explained how for you, the subject was treated well? Is just telling another poster "cuz they are wrong" any fair way or respectful way to address someone?  

For me, I think they did an okay job with Hellion and Karma. Not a very consistent job, and some writers deal with those plots better than others, and I have low standards lol and I look at comics as being a hyper reality. I don't expect reality. I wish for more? Carey dealt with Hellion's lost limbs really well, but thats Carey, I expect him tow rite scenes that well, but in some books, it was really poorly dealt with. Essentially there is no right or wrong here, because Hellion and Karma are not real. Narrative changes with the writer and overall interpretation is up to the individual reader. There is no authority that gets to declare what is right or wrong. So even though I agree with your general stance, I am not sure why you gave attitude to the other poster? Even if your had no intent to offend, thats cool too, but uh, yeah. i mean, agree to disagree maybe? Better than just endless posting of your wrong, no your wrong, no your wrong lol but hey... thats just me. *shrugs*  

Two small points of difference, is all. One of you is okay with the story, the other is not. Not a matter of right or wrong, just disagreement. 
#43 Edited by dorsk188 (235 posts) - - Show Bio
@Timandm said:

@Tigerstriper said:

speaking of Xorn-eto!

Not bad, but why does Wolverine's accent sound like a cross between Canadian and Jamaican?  "No no now, don' chain da subject, chere! " 

On topic: pretty much all of X-Men has become enveloped in an impenetrable snarl of inconsistency and confusion.  I could go on listing all the characters that were created, then disappeared without warning when a new writer took over, but the internet doesn't have enough ink...
#44 Posted by Timandm (3374 posts) - - Show Bio
@dorsk188: LOL!  Probably because the voice is being done by an American?  But it IS a fun accent, don't you think?
#45 Posted by Timandm (3374 posts) - - Show Bio
@SCThere is no authority that gets to declare what is right or wrong.

Um... I thought ' I ' was the authority on what was right and wrong?!?!   But you're making it sound like I'm just....human...and stuff...
#46 Posted by SC (12691 posts) - - Show Bio
@Timandm said:
@SCThere is no authority that gets to declare what is right or wrong.

Um... I thought ' I ' was the authority on what was right and wrong?!?!   But you're making it sound like I'm just....human...and stuff...

Well, you may of course, by virtue of your avatar but we must not let people know that otherwise the avatar shall be stolen and the rain will pour as blood and small baby elephants will nose dive into doors. 
#47 Posted by Timandm (3374 posts) - - Show Bio
@SC: DOH!  Of course... How stupid of me... What was I thinking...  LOL!!!
#48 Edited by Amegashita (3601 posts) - - Show Bio
@Edgeworth_11:  Just like SC said, how is my comment incorrect when it's a matter of personal preference.  Just because my opinion is different than yours, there was never any need for you to say that my opinion is incorrect when opinion is never right or wrong.  It's subjective. 

@SC:  I must say, it's comments like these that make you one of the better members here on the vine.  You're like the peer mediator who settles high school squabbles.
#49 Posted by Edgeworth_11 (4656 posts) - - Show Bio
@Amegashita said:
That's what you said. Yes, it has elements of opinion, but i think if you saw the whole story, meaning the issues where they are seen struggling to cope with lost limbs, than you opinion would be different. 
#50 Edited by Amegashita (3601 posts) - - Show Bio
@Edgeworth_11:  And you're assuming  I didn't read the story, which I have, so your statement about my opinion possibly being different if I read the story doesn't apply because I have read it.  So, this conversation is pointless.  And I already addressed the coping you talked about before.  My opinion on the matter is the same, so respect it and leave it at that.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.