Off the top of my head: How long have the x-men been x-men?

#1 Posted by xtremexfan (38 posts) - - Show Bio

I've been thinking about this lately since "All New X-men" came out. Let's say the original five all started out as a bunch of 16 yr old teens. For everything that's happened, I'd say for every 3 real years, they age one comic book year. So, we're coming up on 50 years of x-men that would mean the original five have been X-men for roughly 16.5 years. This makes them nearly 32 years old on Earth-616. Am I right? Wrong? Your opinion?

#2 Edited by Target_X (379 posts) - - Show Bio

Sounds reasonable to me! Well, I would probably age them a few more years. Maybe 35~ish, but it's close enough.

#3 Posted by KnightRise (4749 posts) - - Show Bio

I've also wondered how old Peter Parker is

#4 Posted by frozenedge (926 posts) - - Show Bio

somewhere in the 30s seems about right. Maybe late 30s might be a closer guess

#5 Posted by PhoenixoftheTides (3274 posts) - - Show Bio

The sliding scale of Marvel time stopped in the early 90's. Going by how the universe has progressed, the senior X-Men are still in their mid 20's.

Not sure if you noticed but there may be a minor retcon going on which would place the original X-Men closer to the age of 11 - 15 when they first started.

#6 Posted by God_Spawn (35978 posts) - - Show Bio

@PhoenixoftheTides:

Not sure if you noticed but there may be a minor retcon going on which would place the original X-Men closer to the age of 11 - 15 when they first started.

Really? Maybe I missed something but I know Bendis picked a specific point in time to bring them into the future and IIRC it was a bit after they did first start. Alonso has gone on record of saying Jean is 17 and Bendis has said she is about 16 so considering Jean and Scott were around what 15? ( I know Scott has said he was) I think it fits.

#7 Posted by cattlebattle (12272 posts) - - Show Bio

I think they're fictionally supposed to be in their late twenties. During the 70s-80s I think Cyclops was around 23, and guys like Cannonball were teenagers, now, the New Mutant characters are apparently in their twenties....

You know what...screw it, there is no logical way to figure this out.......they're whatever age you want them to be.

#8 Posted by dangallant984 (1282 posts) - - Show Bio

Early thirties sounds about right for the original class, and so I guess Havok, Polaris, Storm, Nightcrawler, and Colossus would be too, since they all joined as young adults. Probably Madrox and Dazzler too.

That puts Kitty in her early to mid twenties, Rogue in her mid to late twenties, and the original New Mutants somewhere in between, but I'm not sure how that works for Magik... Not sure about Psylocke either, but if she was in her early twenties in the mid eighties, she's probably closer to the age of the first class, so, early thirties I guess. Probably the same for, say, Northstar?

Banshee would probably be almost 50, if he were alive, where as Magneto should probably have the body of a 50 year old with the mind of someone in his (late?) seventies. Xavier, likewise, should probably be in his mid seventies at least, which is probably why they were okay to let him go, whereas Wolverine (in his hundred and teens?) need never age physically.

I was hoping someone else would do this, so I wouldn't, but I did this off the top of my head, so tell me if any of it sounds wrong..

#9 Posted by PhoenixoftheTides (3274 posts) - - Show Bio

@god_spawn said:

@PhoenixoftheTides:

Really? Maybe I missed something but I know Bendis picked a specific point in time to bring them into the future and IIRC it was a bit after they did first start. Alonso has gone on record of saying Jean is 17 and Bendis has said she is about 16 so considering Jean and Scott were around what 15? ( I know Scott has said he was) I think it fits.

It was that surgical procedure scene. I have not purchased or scanned that issue, though, so I could be wrong! We've talked about it in other threads...

#10 Posted by God_Spawn (35978 posts) - - Show Bio

@PhoenixoftheTides: Ah, the one with Beast? I think it is just Wolverine overexaggerating how young he is and acting like a boss and considering Logan is 100+ just makes it seem more like that.

#11 Posted by PhoenixoftheTides (3274 posts) - - Show Bio

@god_spawn said:

@PhoenixoftheTides: Ah, the one with Beast? I think it is just Wolverine overexaggerating how young he is and acting like a boss and considering Logan is 100+ just makes it seem more like that.

Could be true. I have to admit, I'm a shameless X-Men fan, so I do still keep up with the general storylines, but have been last invested in the current storyline. I would like to think you are right. Back on subject, though, I agree with you - the original ages should still be 16 - 18. There is a New Mutants panel that referenced that one of them was younger than Bobby when she was recruited. Maybe Wolfsbane or Magma. They haven't retconned those, yet, so we'll see.

#12 Posted by tomchu (522 posts) - - Show Bio

You can base how old the X-Men are based on how theyre drawn and act. I would say Cyke, Beast, Angel are early 30s-late 20s, Iceman is early 20s, Storm is late 30s. Now, lets figure out how old Magneto is...

#13 Posted by xtremexfan (38 posts) - - Show Bio

@tomchu: He was a teenager (14?) at least in 1945...Was turned into a baby, turned back into an adult, aged poorly, then rejuvenated to a man in his mid to late 40's in the last couple of years. On the other hand I would have put Xavier in his late forties to early fifties.

#14 Posted by papad1992 (6811 posts) - - Show Bio

@xtremexfan:

CURRENTLY, I say:

Original Five:Early to Mid 30s

Second Generation: Late 30s... maybe early 40s

New Mutants: Early to Mid 20s

Generation X: Early 30s

New X-Men Students: 15-18/teens

#15 Posted by LordOfAllHumans (3726 posts) - - Show Bio

It depends on how old Rachel was when she came from the future, when Jean met her, Jeans says they are the same age at this point. Rachel had to be at least 18 because she was old enough to drink in pubs in England, and Jean attended Metro College in our time in 1966 (if she entered directly after high school she would have been 17-18) she rejoined the Xmen when they became Xfactor in our time 1986 and by then already graduated from college (placing her somewhere in her early 20s), she then meets Rachel in our time 1990 when she says they are the same age this would suggest that Rachel was also in her early 20s (and apparently deaged during her time in the timestream) so in 24 years Jean aged about 3-6 years, and that was 23 years ago so that would mean they aged about 6-12 years since 1966 placing them (the O5) in their mid to late 20s, by my calculations.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.