Follow

X-Men

Team » X-Men appears in 13410 issues.

The X-Men are a superhero team of mutants founded by Professor Charles Xavier. They are dedicated to helping fellow mutants and sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them.

Off My Mind: Do Spoilers Take Away The Fun?

• 63 results
    gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

No Caption Provided
    Spoilers, some people love them and some people despise them. These days, it's almost impossible to keep things from getting spoiled. Finding out what is going to happen won't necessarily ruin a good story but it can take the fun out of it. With the speed of the internet, it's almost as if people race to become the first one to spoil things for others. They take pride in being the first one to know how a story will end. This is fine for those that want to be spoiled right away but if not handled properly, it can make its way to those that don't want to be spoiled.

Deaths in comic books are usually one of the first things to get spoiled. Just yesterday I read two comics that featured the death of a "major character," one in X-Force #26 and the other in Green Hornet #3. With X-Force, we knew a death was coming but luckily it was one of the first comics I read so the fact that this particular character died in this issue was a surprise to me (there has been a lot of deaths in the Second Coming comics). Even with that, I knew, or had a really good idea that this character was going to die. This was spoiled, or perhaps teased by Marvel. What about the death in Green Hornet? That was pretty much spoiled by one of the final covers. 
    == TEASER ==
    Besides readers wanting to be the first to spoil things, sometimes publishers are to blame. Usually things are handled well. There is a matter of  marketing an event in order to get people to want to buy it. Sometimes even the vague solicit information can give things away. Despite my job here on site, I try to avoid reading that information so I can still enjoy the comic when it does come out. Other times, like the ending to Iron Man 2, there's just no avoiding the spoilers.

No Caption Provided
    I understand that we are in the information age and people want to find things out right away. There are people that live for spoilers. They need to know things right away. What I don't understand is why people feel the need to spoil things when it's not being asked. Is there a satisfaction from being the first to publicly put the information out there? Some people do it because they're asked, some do it to be that first person and others do it just to ruin things.

I don't get bent out of shape if something is ruined. I understand that, especially with the internet and different time zones, information will get out there before I get a chance to find out for myself. That's just the nature of things. I would just hope that people are responsible when talking about spoilers. A big warning should go out if some juicy secret information is going to be mentioned. This is why we even developed the spoiler feature on the site. Spoilers can be fun if it's something you want. I just don't think it's necessary to purposely try to ruin the surprise for others. 

And hopefully I haven't ruined 2008's Marley & Me by posting the image that made the news shortly after the movie was released. What are your thoughts on spoilers?
    Avatar image for deactivated-5c6600594117e
    deactivated-5c6600594117e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 111

User Lists: 51

I don't mind a preview or teaser but I want to find out for myself the major happenings.

dayna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By dayna

What irks me are gratuitous and excessive spoiler warnings, as if I'm a child who can't  figure out how to read things for myself and must be sheilded from big, bad spoilers that may hurt my feelings.

Son_of_Magnus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

#3  Edited By Son_of_Magnus

Yes I HATE spoilers almost as much as I hate Spoiler

ldg220

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By ldg220

Ok I really have no opinion one way or the other...I just want to say that the "Marley and Me" poster is hilarious!!!!

KRYPTON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By KRYPTON

The dog actually died?  I did not know that.

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

#6  Edited By gmanfromheck
    @Son_of_Magnus: You have no idea how many times I almost brought her up here.
    TheAntiVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By TheAntiVillain

i really don't care about spoilers but it doesn't stop me from enjoying something but it allows me to process the "holy sh!t" moments so i can enjoy the story but sometimes those moments are the best moments. however in comics or tv shows if there are too many "holy shit" moments then we build up a tolerance to those moments and get sick of it because it becomes a cheap way to advance the plot.

sorry for ranting

Son_of_Magnus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

#8  Edited By Son_of_Magnus
    @G-Man said:
    " @Son_of_Magnus: You have no idea how many times I almost brought her up here. "
    Lol you should of used her in a corny pun
    Astroknot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Astroknot

It's not the end that matters, it's how you get there. 

Golden Cod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Golden Cod
    @dayna: 

It's for the whiny people that insist on reading when they darn well know that this stuff is out there.
    doordoor123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By doordoor123

I dont mind spoilers as long as its about what a comic or event is about, but i do mind major character spoilers.
    And it sucks, before i read x-factor, i wasnt sure exactly who was going to die and everyone on the second coming form were talking about it without the spoiler things. I was pretty upset.

warlock360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By warlock360
    @Astroknot said:
    " It's not the end that matters, it's how you get there.  "
    mimschkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#13  Edited By mimschkin

I always figure I'm going to find out anyway, so what does it matter if it's now or later?
    Some people take it really seriously though. I remember back when the 5th Harry Potter book came out, it was in the holidays, so a lot of people had already finished it by the time we got back to school. One girl bursts into the classroom and shouts out that a major character dies in it, and this other girl literally burst into tears. She was crying over a spoiler.
    If people want to remain unspoilt these days, they're going to have to start living ye-olde style. Spoilers are everywhere, deal with it.

Although I have to admit I have kicked myself multiple times after accidentally reading who was going to win America's Next Top Model. But that was my own fault, I shouldn't have gone on Wikipedia :P

Gylan Thomas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 8

#14  Edited By Gylan Thomas
    @dayna said:
    " What irks me are gratuitous and excessive spoiler warnings, as if I'm a child who can't  figure out how to read things for myself and must be sheilded from big, bad spoilers that may hurt my feelings. "
    I think the spoiler warnings are used so that people don't accidently stumble on soem thing that inadvertently effects their enjoyment of the story rather than to avoid hurting any ones feelings.

For me personally the less I know about how the story's gonna go the better. I like surprises.
    lastdrag0n89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By lastdrag0n89

I agree with what mostly everyone is saying. Spoilers really can ruin a good story. Some stories will lose their shock appeal if you know what is about to happen. Especially if someone reveals the murderer in a mystery

Theodore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16  Edited By Theodore

AHAHAHAHA! Jesus died on page 681. That's awesome.

InnerIronMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By InnerIronMan
    I say it depends on the circumstances, at some times you want to know what he story is so you know they did not screw up on the movie, show, video.  then others when you know they did it write already and don't need to see the spoilers so you can keep it a surprise when you finally watch it.
    sociald1077

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By sociald1077

I hate spoilers. There is nothing worse than taking away the twist or reveal moment when it comes to entertainment. I get that you saw the movie opening night or read the book the first day or what ever, but do you really need to ruin the surprise for everyone? It's incredibly selfish IMO.

Lady Tlieso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Lady Tlieso

I hate spoilers, I don't mind a little hinting but I don't want to everything laid out for me. I'd like to read/see it for myself. Which is why I avoid the X-Men forums like the plague since I'm so far behind. I don't understand why some people get such a perverse joy by spoiling things for others. I love the spoiler function the site allows us to use on our posts, it lets us decide if we want to know or not.

Precise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Precise

I don't mind spoilers, I'm too curious by nature =)

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

#21  Edited By inferiorego  Staff

... Jesus dies? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Nova`Prime`

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Nova`Prime`

I don't have a problem with spoilers, its not about the destination its about the journey. Granted some things you just don't want spoiled, but you can't help it sometimes. For example Captain America: Reborn... you knew he was coming back, you just didn't know how and what the outcome would be. I suspect the same will be done for Batman, you know he's coming back you just don't know how. To many people freak out over spoilers, its one reason I stopped watching any of your and Bab's reviews. You tried so hard not to spoil the issue, it made you sound like you didn't know what you were talking about.

xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#23  Edited By xerox_kitty

I'm not normally bothered by spoilers, but during the delayed comic deliveries last week & the build up of Second Coming, then I had the death of a favourite character completely ruined on ComicVine.   There is a spoiler tag for that very reason, but no-one thought to use it.  

But then you get members who make threads without any spoiler warning in the Subject.  There have even been threads where they give away characters who died.   

Is it so difficult for users to be considerate?!  

Remember:  ONCE YOU'VE READ IT, YOU CAN'T UNREAD IT!
    zombietag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#24  Edited By zombietag

i hate spoilers. even when i want to see a movie, i try to avoid all trailers to make it better. it made book of eli amazing, as well as the matrix movies. i even avoid the previews on here and marvel.com to make my comics better. 

@inferiorego: dont worry! he comes back in a couple pages

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#25  Edited By InnerVenom123
    @Theodore said:
    " AHAHAHAHA! Jesus died on page 681. That's awesome. "
    goldenkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By goldenkey

I personally love spoilers.  with so many sh***y books out there I usually want the spoilers to determine if it's worth buying or not.  So goes for movies.  I don't care if I know the ending, and if something sounds cool I want to see it more. 
    Anjales_II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#27  Edited By Anjales_II

In comics, I love/want to be spoiled because where i live the comics come out like a month or two after they were initially released and sometimes they don't come out at all, and sometimes i'm too excited for a comic i'm just sitting there not knowing what happened. For example, the amazing spider-man #626 came out 2 weeks ago, and the next time an ASM comic is going to be released it's going to be #628. so i missed out 2 issues!!! So that's why, when someone is writing a comic book review, they should write what they usually write for those who don't wanna be spoiled and then use the "spoiler function", and write what ever needs to be spoiled. yeah i know some people dont wanna be spoiled but others do, so that's why we have the spoiler function. like now cuz they dont sell X-force comics where i live so i would've really appreciate it if u couldve wrote who is this "major character" who did in the comic using the spoiler function, that way those who dont wanna be spoiled wont lose the fun.

X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By X
    @Precise said:
    " I don't mind spoilers, I'm too curious by nature =) "
    im the same way 
    the_fallen11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#29  Edited By the_fallen11

Wait.......Jesus Dies!?!? thanks Comicvine!  you have spoiled THE BIBLE for me...::Begins to cry and runs away::

Avatar image for artisticneedham
    ArtisticNeedham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By ArtisticNeedham

I went to see Austin Powers: Gold Member with a bunch of friends on my birthday and right as the movie starts a friend leans over and tells me 

But usually I don't mind spoilers.
    danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By danhimself

I can usually avoid them but what upsets me is when people go out of their way to post them all over the vine...the biggest one that pi$$ed me off recently was that I started reading IDW's Angel and Dark Horse's Buffy the Vampire Slayer and I went to Twilight's page on here months before Twilight's identity was revealed and I was trying to see if I could piece together who Twilight was on my own but the only piece of info on his page was "Twilight has been revealed to be Angel".....that really pi$$ed me off since Twilight's identity wasn't revealed in the books for another 4 or 5 months

Joe Venom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Joe Venom

I wish someone would spoil the end of Siege for me I just want it to be over with  >.>

Avatar image for artisticneedham
    ArtisticNeedham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By ArtisticNeedham

With some movies, like Marley and Me, the ending shouldn't really be a spoiler.  Somehow the film should let you know, even from the commercials, that its not just a happy film about a family and a dog.  

Its a film that a parent should know about before taking their child to see the happy puppy movie maybe.  Or maybe I am wrong, I don't know.
    pixelized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By pixelized
    @Astroknot said:
    " It's not the end that matters, it's how you get there.  "
    Like Romeo + Juliet. 

I think Spoilers stem from emotions running high and people wanting to discuss what they just read. When I read X-Force yesterday, I could barely contain myself from being so moved that I wanted the world to take part in what I had just experienced. Aren't we supposed to discuss things that happen anyway? Provided a Spoiler tag is used, I don't see the problem.
    Avatar image for haydenclaireheroes
    haydenclaireheroes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1207

User Lists: 14

i like minor spoilers but the major spoilers i like to be surprised

Green ankh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#36  Edited By Green ankh

Who died in X-force? I don't read the book.
    GC8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1422

User Lists: 8

#37  Edited By GC8

I was just reading the Wikipedia entry on a comic team.
    One of the members was listed as deceased.
    It thought that was strange because he's one of my favorites, and even though I'm way behind on reading I thought I'd have heard of that. So I looked at the footnotes about it. Guess what - the issue is this month and hasn't even hit the stands here yet!

xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#38  Edited By xerox_kitty

Personal avatars/userpics can also be used as spoilers.  Please be considerate to other uses who may not have read landmark issues, or seen the death of a major character.  For someone to see it in a tiny userpic can ruin their comic reading experience.

Omega Ray Jay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#39  Edited By Omega Ray Jay

The Spoiler is a fickle mistress.

jamdown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By jamdown

these are THE RULES OF A SPOILER 
    1: the spoiler can NOT be more then 3 minutes long 
    2: the spoiler must have a minimule time of 1-2minutes of a fight scene if an action flic
    3: the movie MUST BE GOOD
    starz007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#41  Edited By starz007

OMG Spoiler alert on Marley and Me!!!  Geeze G-Man.

CylonDorado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By CylonDorado

I hate spoilers, I probably would have read the rest of the Harry Potter books (like, 5, 6, and 7) if I didn't already know what happens. I think character deaths would be way more dramatic if we didn't see them coming.
    advocatefish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By advocatefish

If they hadnt said anything about anyone dying in the X Force from yesterday it would have hit harder.  

I was just like "oh this is when this happens"
    Joeybagad0nutz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Joeybagad0nutz

I love Spoliers. I wished you guys spoiled thing more often.
    advocatefish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By advocatefish

@G-Man the jesus spoiler is halarious.
    Avatar image for illyana_rasputin
    Illyana Rasputin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#46  Edited By Illyana Rasputin

I have mixed emotions about spoilers. I always ruin the surprise for myself by reading or watching them. I do appreciate them, though, in the same vein.

Avatar image for defaultdefaultdefault
    defaultdefaultdefault

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes, i hate it when someone spoils a comic for me. I had three books in a row spoiled
    for me yesterday right before i read them (ASM, X-Force, and Mighty Avengers, and Siege:Spider-man prior).

common courtesy pee-pole!  

1. If you make a thread about it, dont say what it is in the title and include the word *SPOILERS* in the title
    2. comic that comes out that day should be obvious, but not everyone in every place gets them at the same time.
    3. discuss it in a thread already about that series, spoilers are expected there.

DarkSyde79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By DarkSyde79

Nothing wrong with spoilers as long as the story to get to that point is interesting enough. Sometimes the destination is less important than the journey. 

Meteorite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#49  Edited By Meteorite

I do look up spoilers if I really, really want to know what happens or if I haven't read the particular issue, but otherwise I avoid them.

Aronmorales

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Aronmorales

You know what I DO mind? DLC for video games.
    Yeah the creators have new ideas, but for crying out loud can't the game be special as it is? can't you save those ideas for later?

I'm sorry, this is the wrong thread, but I had to vent.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.