Follow

X-Men

Team » X-Men appears in 13417 issues.

The X-Men are a superhero team of mutants founded by Professor Charles Xavier. They are dedicated to helping fellow mutants and sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them.

Not X-Actly Ideal Team

Thunderscream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Thunderscream

I thought this would be fun spinning off from the "Least Favorite" thread: Pick 5 characters for an X-Team that's less than ideal and pick a locale for them to royally suck in...or is the combination so bad that it's good? Hmmm...

1) The character that you absolutely loathe. What is it about them that rubs you the wrong way? Their origin? Their costume? Their big, dumb, stupid face?

2) The character you believe to have the most useless powers. And for real, we all know Eye-scream has the worst so he doesn't frickin' count.

3) The character whose hype you just don't seem to understand. There are always gonna be the big boys and girls with mass appeal, but I'm talkin' the fan-faves that perplex you nurplex.*

4) The most obscure character you can think of that might actually be awesome by comparison. They're in the group shots sometimes, maybe just a blob of color with ink-dot eyes in the bottom, left-hand corner...just waiting for their moment to shine bright like a diamond and make momma proud!

5) A character that epitomizes comic book cliches or the era of their creation. The shoulder pads, the pouches, bomber jackets, baseball caps, guns-on-guns-on-guns, disco-glitter, Jem-on-steroids 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s totally terribly tubular toons. As if!

Ok, now what would you call this band of misfits and what lame locale would you have them hash out mediocre mutant justice?

*Not a word.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
    deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By deactivated-5c901e667a76c  Moderator

1. Emma Frost

2. Maggott

3. Forge

4. Armor

5. Cable

McKlayn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

1 - phantomex

2 - beak

3 - deadpool

4 - chamber

5 - gambit

Thunderscream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Here's mine!

1) The character that you absolutely loathe: Emma Frost. I won't like her until she's a full-fledged villain again and loses her telepathy permanently, take that, Ice Queen. She's pretentious, I want to burn everything in her closet and I hate that the Cuckoos are clones of her...so I despise them too.

2) The character you believe to have the most useless powers: Thunderbird III. Hear me out on this one, I know his solar powers aren't exactly useless, but he had all that power and barely ever made good use of it...and why the heck is his name THUNDERBIRD!? I get that all other fire names were already taken, but grrrrr I just can't stand him. And the whole thing with Psylocke drove me nuts...and then she died and he was like, "Sup, Lifeguard." Ugh!

3) The character whose hype you just don't seem to understand: Fantomex. He's yet another Weapon X, Y, Z or whatever. He has 2 or 3 brains and a sentient, external nervous system...wha? His French accent is fake. He got all up in Psylocke's kool-aid (don't mess with mah Betsy!) and his misdirection power is such a cop-out!

4) The most obscure character you can think of that might actually be awesome by comparison: Silhouette. Is she a mutant? I know she manipulates the dark force and there are a handful of mutants and/or mystics able to do so. She was a New Warrior and I felt like she was severely underutilized then and has been drifting through limbo for way too long.

5) A character that epitomizes comic book cliches or the era of their creation. Adam X! The eye-liner, the flavor-saver, the blade-bedazzled arm bands...he is soooooo 90s, but I've got a soft-spot for the 3rd Summers brother. (Vulcan who?) His ability to ignite oxygenated blood is esoteric, but creative and his ties to the Shi'ar make him a prime candidate for space adventures :)

I'll call them the X-Actos and they'll hang out in Detroit and dress like hipsters...

Avatar image for hopesummersforthefuture
    HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

emma frost, jubliee, wolverine(i dont like him but i dont hate him), fantomex and maggott......i just picked the worst characters

Avatar image for faithandbegorrah
    FaithAndBegorrah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loath: Fantomex

Useless: Beak

Overhyped: Gambit

Obscure: Jubilee

Cliché: Cable

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By HAWK2916

Loathe: Fantomex, Doop and Northstar

Useless: ForgetMeNot, Maggott, Goldballs

Overhyped: Quentin Quire

Obscure: Not sure about who is awesome but obscure- i guess underused is all of generation X and the New mutants- magma and Chamber are definitely obscure and underused there.

Cliche': Jubilee (vampire thing) and Cable

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1. Fantomex. (If there was a thread where we could write the name of characters we want to die....I would write his name...repeatedly)

2. Eyeboy

3. Thor, oh wait an X-Man? Wolverine.

4. Eric the Red (is he Cyke? Is he Magneto? Who knows, but he's on the team)

5. Gambit...lol just to start trouble.

Rpgesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Rpgesus

blasphemy.... fantomex is raw

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rpgesus said:

blasphemy.... fantomex is raw

No Caption Provided

You wanna fight bro, cause we can take this outside....

zdub327

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1. Loathe: Hope Summers. I know that she's the messiah and everything, but to me she never really became anything more than a plot device and I got sick of the Marvel execs shoving her down our throats. And the fact that she looked exactly like Jean Grey is irritating. Now that we have Young Jean I don't feel the need for her character to exist anymore.

2. Useless: Ummm pretty much all of Grant Morrison's new generation in New X-Men -- Beak and Angel. I get what he was trying to do with the unlikely heroes/ugly freak mutants thing, and I liked going there, I did, but are Beak and Angel really superheroes? I dunno . . . poor Beak and his baseball bat lol. Magneto is the master of gravity, Jean hosts this cosmic force, Storm controls the elements, and Beak . . . has a baseball bat.

3. Overhyped: Dazzler. People are nuts about her and I just don't for the life of me get it . . . I know she's supposed to be a pop star and consequently really important to mutant-human diplomacy, but for me, the character is just . . . meh. And I hate the make over Bendis and his team gave her :(

4. Under-appreciated: Multiple Man. I seriously think that he's one of the greatest X-Men ever! Classic power set, he's a funny likeable guy, great moral/ethical dilemma in the problem that his dupes are all different aspects of his personality and he never knows what he's gonna get. I think he's seriously underutilized.

5. Cliche: Jubilee. I can just picture the Marvel execs being like, "What can we do to make Jubilee more popular with young adults? Well, Twilight was pretty popular . . . let's turn her into a vampire!!! That's a great idea!" And even before the vampire mess I never really got the point of her character when we already had Shadowcat . . . just my opinion tho.

kcomicfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Loath: Kid Gladiator, Kid omega

Useless: angel, Goldenballs, Triage

Overhyped: Kid omega

Obscure: Forge

Cliché: Cable

Avatar image for oldnightcrawler
    oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

1. The character that you absolutely loathe. What is it about them that rubs you the wrong way? Their origin? Their costume? Their big, dumb, stupid face?
    2. The character you believe to have the most useless powers. And for real, we all know Eye-scream has the worst so he doesn't frickin' count.
    3. The character whose hype you just don't seem to understand. There are always gonna be the big boys and girls with mass appeal, but I'm talkin' the fan-faves that perplex you nurplex.*
    4. The most obscure character you can think of that might actually be awesome by comparison. They're in the group shots sometimes, maybe just a blob of color with ink-dot eyes in the bottom, left-hand corner...just waiting for their moment to shine bright like a diamond and make momma proud!
    5. A character that epitomizes comic book cliches or the era of their creation. The shoulder pads, the pouches, bomber jackets, baseball caps, guns-on-guns-on-guns, disco-glitter, Jem-on-steroids 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s totally terribly tubular toons. As if!

1. na -there are dozens of minor X-men characters that simply don't interest me, but none that I actively dislike. I've never felt like I needed to agree with a character to appreciate what they bring to a story, and even the dullest and most contrived characters have had some entertaining moments.

2. Adam X -generally I think just about any power-set is more useful than, say, not having any powers at all.. and I really think any power-set can be interesting in the hands of the right writer.. but Adam X's power was to electrocute people's blood once it came in contact with the air, meaning he could only use his powers on someone who was already wounded. I'd honestly rather have Beak's powers.

3. Cable -while I don't dislike the character, he's never been a favorite of mine and I've really never understood what it is about him that makes him such a fan fave. His relationship with Hope Summers was probably the only thing I ever found interesting about him (and her), and by then he was already more popular than most individual X-men characters.

4. Angel Salvadore -I don't know if this character counts as being obscure, but I've always liked her portrayal in Morrison's run and never really understood why so many X-men fans seem to not like her. On a group of walking design cliches like this one, I could see her standing out as the most X-men of the bunch.

5. Random -since I already picked Cable and Adam X, I'm gonna have to go with this guy, a character so 90's by design that he literally had guns for hands.

Avatar image for oldnightcrawler
    oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

@zdub327 said:

1. Loathe: Hope Summers. I know that she's the messiah and everything, but to me she never really became anything more than a plot device and I got sick of the Marvel execs shoving her down our throats. And the fact that she looked exactly like Jean Grey is irritating. Now that we have Young Jean I don't feel the need for her character to exist anymore.

I kind of agree with all of this. Though I could understand the purpose of her character, there was almost nothing about her that I found interesting.

2. Useless: Ummm pretty much all of Grant Morrison's new generation in New X-Men -- Beak and Angel. I get what he was trying to do with the unlikely heroes/ugly freak mutants thing, and I liked going there, I did, but are Beak and Angel really superheroes? I dunno . . . poor Beak and his baseball bat lol. Magneto is the master of gravity, Jean hosts this cosmic force, Storm controls the elements, and Beak . . . has a baseball bat.

I don't think Beak was really ever meant to be a superhero, but, for what it's worth, he did take out the Beast with that baseball bat. Beast may not be the most powerful X-man, but I'm sure he never told that story to any of his Avengers buddies..

4. Under-appreciated: Multiple Man. I seriously think that he's one of the greatest X-Men ever! Classic power set, he's a funny likeable guy, great moral/ethical dilemma in the problem that his dupes are all different aspects of his personality and he never knows what he's gonna get. I think he's seriously underutilized.

I really want to agree with this because Madrox is by far one of the most interesting X-men characters, but it's hard for me to consider him under-appreciated when he was basically the main character of his own book for most of a decade..

BaBaBoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1) The character that you absolutely loathe. What is it about them that rubs you the wrong way? Their origin? Their costume? Their big, dumb, stupid face?

Glob, because he is Glob. He is a flammable pink jelly with super strength and his organs are visible. He is naked all the time and he always betrays the X-Men yet never actually gets thrown in jail even when he murdered people.

2) The character you believe to have the most useless powers. And for real, we all know Eye-scream has the worst so he doesn't frickin' count.

I don't know if dead characters count but, I pick Jazz, a man whose sole power is his blue skin. You thought turning into icecream is the worst superpower.

3) The character whose hype you just don't seem to understand. There are always gonna be the big boys and girls with mass appeal, but I'm talkin' the fan-faves that perplex you nurplex.*

The Jean Greys (aka every red-head mutant saint). See, I started reading comics when Jean Grey was dead already so I never actually found any interest on her and, frankly, I wish she would just stay dead. From what I've experience from Teen Jean, the Jean Greys just seem to be either a walking plot device or symbol of all that is good and right even though he has cheated on her husband with a Canadian midget and constantly probes her friends minds(blech!). Basically, she's a Mary Sue and who likes reading Mary Sues?

4) The most obscure character you can think of that might actually be awesome by comparison. They're in the group shots sometimes, maybe just a blob of color with ink-dot eyes in the bottom, left-hand corner...just waiting for their moment to shine bright like a diamond and make momma proud!

Eye-Boy, give him a gun and make his mouth an eye (so I won't have to suffer through that things he calls banter)

5) A character that epitomizes comic book cliches or the era of their creation. The shoulder pads, the pouches, bomber jackets, baseball caps, guns-on-guns-on-guns, disco-glitter, Jem-on-steroids 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s totally terribly tubular toons. As if!

Colossus on a leopard leotard. Nuff said!

I call this band of "X-Men" the All-New, All-Different Extraordinary Uncanny X-Men!

ultimatekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bababoom said:

Glob, because he is Glob. He is a flammable pink jelly with super strength and his organs are visible. He is naked all the time and he always betrays the X-Men yet never actually gets thrown in jail even when he murdered people.

I don't know if dead characters count but, I pick Jazz, a man whose sole power is his blue skin. You thought turning into icecream is the worst superpower.

The Jean Greys (aka every red-head mutant saint). See, I started reading comics when Jean Grey was dead already so I never actually found any interest on her and, frankly, I wish she would just stay dead. From what I've experience from Teen Jean, the Jean Greys just seem to be either a walking plot device or symbol of all that is good and right even though he has cheated on her husband with a Canadian midget and constantly probes her friends minds(blech!). Basically, she's a Mary Sue and who likes reading Mary Sues?

Eye-Boy, give him a gun and make his mouth an eye (so I won't have to suffer through that things he calls banter)

Colossus on a leopard leotard. Nuff said!

I call this band of "X-Men" the All-New, All-Different Extraordinary Uncanny X-Men!

Since when has Glob ever murdered anyone? And yes, he did go to jail along with the other guys who participated in the Riot caused by the Omega Gang. Afterwards, he was sent to do community service in third world countries. LOL, yeah, he went against the X-Men twice but still finds his way back to them. I wonder of he and Kid Omega are still considered friends?

BaBaBoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By BaBaBoom

@ultimatekey: Gotta admit, I don't know much about Glob, because he is Glob, and most of the things I knew about him are from his appearances in WotX, which are all bad. I also knew about him from a video about Quentin Quire made by ItsSuperEffective and he stated that Glob, along with the rest of Omega Gang, killed non-mutants but he never mentioned any of them going to jail. To honest, I hate Glob because of his big, dumb, stupid face which is enough reason to make him qualify for this category (yes, I am that superficial :P). Also, because he is Glob.

Loading Video...

Glob Herman in his finest!

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oldnightcrawler: Funny you would mention Cable as he seems to be the most cliché and hardest to place in a team as it is. I was just going through some old stuff and came across some interesting things about his origins. Rob Liefield never intended (I don't think) for him to be Cyclops and Maddie's child in the 1st place. Even his early designed armor bears a striking resemblance to Reed Richards fathers armor and that's not the only similarity. I know it would upset X-fans and kick the complex into overdrive but imagine if they did something about Cables origin and took it back to what I suspect it was truly meant to be?

McKlayn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

@hawk2916 said:

@oldnightcrawler: Funny you would mention Cable as he seems to be the most cliché and hardest to place in a team as it is. I was just going through some old stuff and came across some interesting things about his origins. Rob Liefield never intended (I don't think) for him to be Cyclops and Maddie's child in the 1st place. Even his early designed armor bears a striking resemblance to Reed Richards fathers armor and that's not the only similarity. I know it would upset X-fans and kick the complex into overdrive but imagine if they did something about Cables origin and took it back to what I suspect it was truly meant to be?

he was orginally meant to be Cannonball from the future, i read that from some interview on Uncanny Xmen.net

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mcklayn: Maybe. In one interview it was said that Rob Liefeld had originally planned for Cable to be a traveller from thousands of years in the future who journeyed back to our time to combat specific menaces that threatened the future of the Marvel Universe, intending Kang the Conqueror as chief among these threats. To support this Rob reveals, in Prophet/Cable #1, that Prophet was originally intended to be a police officer from the future sent by Kang, a warlord in his era, to bring back Cable.

I remember in the End of Greys storyline,Uncanny X-Men #468, Rachel wonders why the Shi’ar missed Cable when he carries the genes of her mother’s clone.

Tommy_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Tommy_X
    • Fantomex (1), I hate him with a passion. Parody of cool and mysterious characters that is written copletely straight. Just... no, Marvel
    • Hope Summers (1) pointless MacGuffin
    • Kid Omega (1) much like Fantomex another Morrison character made even worse by writers that followed
    • Beak (2)
    • Eye-Boy (2)
    • Glob Herman (2)
    • Goldballs (2)
    • Gambit (3 & 5), never liked him, never will
    • Storm (3), same as Gambit
    • Maggott (4)
    • Adam X the X-TREME, the second third Summers brother (4 & 5) compared to these other characters he's great. He's both obscure AND cliché
    • Dazzler (5) 70's disco queen/80's glam rockstar
    • Cable (5) is really cliché even though I don't dislike him

I guess we could call this team Rej-X in honor of X-Men '92 If we chose only 4 then they'd be Bore 4

Tommy_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Tommy_X

@hawk2916: I don't think that they could ever retcon Cable's origin now without a complete reboot since there has been too much revealed about his past and life including his childhood etc. And even if Marvel did want to retcon it to what Liefeld originally had in mind with tying him to Kang and Nathaniel Rickhards there would be no point since then he would be tied to F4 so it'd be completely wasted efforts on Marvel's part. They only retcon the characters in ways that lessen their ties to F4/X-Men and they probably only do it with characters they can use in films. No matter how you try to go about it there is no chance that Marvel could use Cable since he is so completely an X-Men character unlike the twins.

But it could be interesting to see him fighting Kang now that Apocalypse isn't in the picture since Apocalypse and Kang do have ties to each other. I wonder when the connection between Apocalypse and Kang was first revealed and whether it had anything to do with Liefeld's original plans for Cable.

TBEMrMcCoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By TBEMrMcCoy

1. Dazzler- pure useless 80's trash

2. Useless- Goldball. He can throw gold balls.

3. Overhyped- Wolverine. He is a beast but people claim he is a god.

4. Obscure- Maggot. Just weird.

5. - Gambit. Cajun thief who plays cards and seduces women.

Super_Blah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loathe: Cyclops
    Alternate: Cassandra Nova

Useless: Beak

Overhyped: Deadpool
    Alternate: Gambit

Obscure: Morph (Exiles)

Cliche: Dazzler
    Alternate: Adam X the X-Treme
    2nd Alternate: Shatterstar

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By adamTRMM

Ok, kudos to OP for creating a thread that left me disoriented the last time and since I couldn't come up with the idea in the first moments, reading some comics from the 90s made me remember this very thread and come again and answer it properly this time. Well if by properly you don't mind the "cheats" that are happen to be the only way I'm fitting my teams on here ;) So, "inspired by the 90s!"

OK this is the first concept:

X-99 team (lol?)

1. Character I loathe: Fantomex, duh. It's not that I hate him as much as character but as a concept. Simply, why? But I have an admission, when there's a good balance between him, EVA and Ultimaton (and the World to some degree) when done right this whole concept does have a potential. So here's my cheat number 1.

2. Character whose powers are useless: Maverick. He's depowered. See what I did here? My cheat number two I guess. A major one if you consider the fact he's going to use MGH to repower himself back, or maybe even find a way to be repowered permanently?

3. The character whose hype I don't understand: Gambit. I won't get into why he falls under this category, but the things that make him interesting to me are the ones that are still pretty obscure about him like his connection to Sinister and Death persona.

4. The walking cliche: Cable. I think I had quite a number of posts dedicated to my frustration of the way Cable is used and that the character needs some good work done on him with a visionary writer. *not going to happen* But the kindness that is myself, yet here's another example of what one would say a dead end character that I totally see the potential to explore.

So wait a second, Fantomex, Gambit, Maverick and Cable? On the same team? How the hell is this supposed to work when some of the characters are basically interchangeable and more or less represent very similar archetypes? Well, for this I have another character, or it is actually two, but my cheatering nature is all over the place, so who cares at this point right? And the last category:

5. The most obscure character: the M-twins Gestalt! Of course she would be an enigma to these guys in the beginning (wholly covered by costume and mask, never speaking, never interfering with the guys' gossips and swags, but does express herself in body language if needed - Snake Eyes style basically), the fact that will troll the crap out of them since they're the type that is supposed to be well-informed, no one would really know that while they have their expected testosterone and pathos exchanges, d!ck measurings, etc it's the merged kids in their Gestalt form that happen to do the main firepower work without asking too much questions when in this form they have all the powers of Monet, but use it so lethally effective it's kinda scary. Just thinking about the faces of this macho band after the grand reveal that those are in fact two little girls that kicked some major asses and were the wildcard of this team?

--------------------

I have another idea, but this it for now :)

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.