Not Whedon, Morrison or Claremont: which other X-men stand out?

#1 Posted by dangallant984 (1282 posts) - - Show Bio

It seems that it's simply a given that if you ask most X-men fans what the best X-men stories are, they'll almost all pick the works by one or more of these three writers:

Chris Claremont

Grant Morrison

and/or Joss Whedon

,and, in my opinion, with good reason. But what if we just take these three as a given? What X-men stories not by these writers stand out as being especially good, or even just special to you? Is there a run by a particular artist you like? or even just a random one off issue that you enjoyed or remember fondly?

I'm really just looking to see a little more variety in one of these polls, so the only rule is that it can't be by one of these three writers.

#2 Posted by cattlebattle (12579 posts) - - Show Bio

Scott Lobdell was good and Stan Lee of course

#3 Posted by CerealKiller (161 posts) - - Show Bio

Sometimes i think a lot of people just jump on the 'oh we hate this writer but this one is good' bandwagon , instead of totally deciding for themselves. Its a very easy thing to do since people new to comic books would trust older readers opinions most of the time. Until i started frequenting forums i had no idea there was so much hate for fractions run, which i personally like. I was genuinely surprised other people didn't like it! I'm torn because part of me wants to seem like i have good taste that others can respect, but i cant lie to myself, i really enjoy those books haha. (i have the nation x and quarantine trades heading to me in the mail as we speak..)

#4 Posted by dangallant984 (1282 posts) - - Show Bio

@CerealKiller: yeah, see, I don't think of those runs as particularly good, but I can see why people enjoyed them. There were some cool character moments, and a genuine feeling of the X-men actually doing something new.

what I'd like to see is more people sharing what made them enjoy some of the less popular or even poorly executed stories. Something that might really just come down to taste, say..

#5 Posted by judasnixon (6180 posts) - - Show Bio

Peter David's X-factor. That poor book is so underrated.

X-Factor
#6 Posted by dangallant984 (1282 posts) - - Show Bio

@judasnixon said:

X-Factor

good call, I totally agree!

#7 Posted by AgeofHurricane (7261 posts) - - Show Bio

The Lobdell, Seagle and Casey runs are also hidden gems, not as good as any of the top three, but they were better than most of what we've had in the last decade. Not sure what to make of Jim Lee's little stint.

#8 Posted by judasnixon (6180 posts) - - Show Bio

I enjoyed the hell out of Age of X....

#9 Posted by x_29 (2274 posts) - - Show Bio

Peter David's X-factor

Kyle Yost's New X-men

#10 Posted by chunkypack87 (16 posts) - - Show Bio

kieron gillen - uncanny X-Men.

#11 Posted by tomchu (522 posts) - - Show Bio

Scott Lobdell. Sure his current books in DC are entirely hit-or-miss, but there was a time where his work was quite good.

Generation X #1 - 28 was GREAT. I loved it entirely, then James Robinson introduced the whole "M-Penance-St Croix" Rubbish, and then thats when I left my pile of Gen X in a box, untouched for quite awhile now. Gen X introduced so many awesome characters, such as Husk, M. (And if my DP says it all, I'm a big Chamber fan). Also, Chris Bachelo! How can you question such an awesome creative team! (Remember, this was the 90s)

He also had an ungodly long Uncanny X-Men run, of #286 to #349. I've read about half of that (the first half), and man, Lobdell wrote the hell out of the X-Men, with awesome characterisation (Xavier's constant guilt over his buddy, Magneto, Cable and Cyclops' heartfelt reunion, Xavier giving his blessing towards Cyke and Jean's engagement), had brilliant character development (Colossus going ape-sh!t, but also not so out-of-character where he accepts the dream just "doesnt work for him". Jubilee's empathy towards Illyana).

X-Cutioner's Song, Generation NeXt, and Legion's Quest (which led to the AoA epic) is where he left his mark on the X-Universe.

#12 Posted by poisonfleur (2954 posts) - - Show Bio

Christopher Yost

X-Force, Nercrosha arc, and World's Apart are some of my personal favorites by him. I especially love the way he portrays his characters in his books.

#13 Posted by poisonfleur (2954 posts) - - Show Bio

@judasnixon said:

I enjoyed the hell out of Age of X....

This looks good!^ I am lovin' the costumes.

#14 Posted by dangallant984 (1282 posts) - - Show Bio

@tomchu said:

Scott Lobdell. Sure his current books in DC are entirely hit-or-miss, but there was a time where his work was quite good.

Generation X #1 - 28 was GREAT. I loved it entirely, then James Robinson introduced the whole "M-Penance-St Croix" Rubbish, and then thats when I left my pile of Gen X in a box, untouched for quite awhile now. Gen X introduced so many awesome characters, such as Husk, M. (And if my DP says it all, I'm a big Chamber fan). Also, Chris Bachelo! How can you question such an awesome creative team! (Remember, this was the 90s)

He also had an ungodly long Uncanny X-Men run, of #286 to #349. I've read about half of that (the first half), and man, Lobdell wrote the hell out of the X-Men, with awesome characterisation (Xavier's constant guilt over his buddy, Magneto, Cable and Cyclops' heartfelt reunion, Xavier giving his blessing towards Cyke and Jean's engagement), had brilliant character development (Colossus going ape-sh!t, but also not so out-of-character where he accepts the dream just "doesnt work for him". Jubilee's empathy towards Illyana).

X-Cutioner's Song, Generation NeXt, and Legion's Quest (which led to the AoA epic) is where he left his mark on the X-Universe.

Lobdell was the writer of Uncanny when I started, so I'm a bit biased, but I remember that period quiet fondly. Especially the issues that JRjr drew. And the beginning of Generation X; that series had such a promising start.

and I might be the only person who actually liked Legion Quest more than Age of Apocalypse.

#15 Posted by SC (12691 posts) - - Show Bio

Peter David, Mike Carey, Warren Ellis. K&Y, Peter Milligan (but ONLY for X-Statix) for me. Some of aforementioned I rate better than Whedon's run.

#16 Posted by Billy Batson (57751 posts) - - Show Bio

X-Statix > Everything else
BB

#17 Posted by TDK_1997 (14456 posts) - - Show Bio

Peter David's X-Factor and Remender's Uncanny X-Force.

#18 Posted by chasereis (794 posts) - - Show Bio

@dangallant984: I cannot believe you of all people did not include Simonson's X-Factor in your list. Simonson and David did really good runs on the same book. Anyway you forgot so shame on you! Fabian nicieza did some goos stuff too.

#19 Posted by dangallant984 (1282 posts) - - Show Bio

@chasereis said:

@dangallant984: I cannot believe you of all people did not include Simonson's X-Factor in your list. Simonson and David did really good runs on the same book. Anyway you forgot so shame on you! Fabian nicieza did some goos stuff too.

I didn't forget, I just wanted to see who would remember. Looks like it was you, buddy :)

I only listed the three writers who were most mentioned in a previous thread, because they seem so obvious at this point. But, yeah, X-factor was the original other X-men book, before it became where B-listers go to get personalities.

#20 Posted by tomchu (522 posts) - - Show Bio

@dangallant984 said:

@tomchu said:

Lobdell was the writer of Uncanny when I started, so I'm a bit biased, but I remember that period quiet fondly. Especially the issues that JRjr drew. And the beginning of Generation X; that series had such a promising start.

and I might be the only person who actually liked Legion Quest more than Age of Apocalypse.

Haven't read Legion Quest, and I've read all of AoA minus Alpha and Omega. So I'll get around to that some time soon :) AoA was epic. It had EVERYTHING you wanted, and it even wrote stories in the years to come. Dark Beast? X-Man, Remender's awesome Dark Angel Saga? Here is where it came from.

#21 Posted by John Valentine (16270 posts) - - Show Bio
  • Kyle and Yost's New X-Men
  • Mike Carey's Pre-MC X-Men Vol. 2
  • PAD's X-Factor
  • Gillen's Uncanny X-Men Vol. 2
  • Remender's Uncanny X-Force
  • X-Statix
#22 Edited by dangallant984 (1282 posts) - - Show Bio

@tomchu: yeah, I liked it more in theory than in practice. I think the art for the whole thing was pretty not great, but I blame JoMad's costume designs over all. I did enjoy Generation Next and Weapon X.

#23 Posted by chasereis (794 posts) - - Show Bio

@dangallant984: Touche'. Well actually I think the testing of the mettle of an X-writer comes from his or her ability to write Scott and/or Alex effectively. David did really well with this although I don't recall him ever writing more than 'factor.

#24 Edited by spidermonkey2099 (614 posts) - - Show Bio

Mark Millar's Ultimate X-Men

Brian Michael Bendis' Ultimate X-Men

Nick Spencer's Ultimate Comics X-Men

I've heard that Brian Wood's current run on Ultimate Comics X-Men is just as good or better than Spencer's run, but I haven't had the chance to read it yet, so I couldn't say for sure.

Rick Remender's Uncanny X-Force

Scott Lobdell's Uncanny X-Men

Peter David's X-Factor (I've only read issues from his first X-Factor run in the 90s, but I hear is current run is just as good.... I for one am definitely planning on collecting his current run when I get the opportunity).

I've also really enjoyed what I've read of Warren Ellis' run on Excalibur.

#25 Posted by John Valentine (16270 posts) - - Show Bio

@spidermonkey2099 said:

Mark Millar's Ultimate X-Men

Brian Michael Bendis' Ultimate X-Men

Nick Spencer's Ultimate Comics X-Men

I've heard that Brian Wood's current run on Ultimate Comics X-Men is just as good or better than Spencer's run, but I haven't had the chance to read it yet, so I couldn't say for sure.

Rick Remender's Uncanny X-Force

Scott Lobdell's Uncanny X-Men

Peter David's X-Factor (I've only read issues from his first X-Factor run in the 90s, but I hear is current run is just as good.... I for one am definitely planning on collecting his current run when I get the opportunity).

I've also really enjoyed what I've read of Warren Ellis' run on Excalibur.

Mark Millar's Ultimate X-Men and Bendis' Ulimate X-Men are very good shouts.

Brian Wood's Ultimate X-Men is better than Spencer's, IMO. Just wish it were a little more fast paced. Not a lot seems to happen in the issues. That said, Spencer's Ultimate X-Men was just as decompressed.

#26 Posted by dangallant984 (1282 posts) - - Show Bio

@chasereis: Have you read his Hulk run? from what I've read, it's pretty decent.

#27 Posted by Mercy_ (92501 posts) - - Show Bio
@judasnixon
X-Factor
My favorite comic out right now aside from Saga.
Moderator Online
#28 Posted by Mercy_ (92501 posts) - - Show Bio
@John Valentine
  • Kyle and Yost's New X-Men
  • Mike Carey's Pre-MC X-Men Vol. 2
  • PAD's X-Factor
  • Gillen's Uncanny X-Men Vol. 2
  • Remender's Uncanny X-Force
  • X-Statix
Yes. All excellent choices.
Moderator Online
#29 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (5772 posts) - - Show Bio

I also think that Mark Millar's run on Ultimate X-Men was really good!

#30 Posted by chasereis (794 posts) - - Show Bio

@dangallant984: Are you shitting me? Joe Fixit was AWESOME! I loved the Keown + David combi, actually come to think about I think David is the only person in recent memory that has successfully pulled off making Doc Samson cool. I remember when he analyzed Quicksilver in 'factor.

@Rabbitearsblog: Millar's work is always hit or miss but his run on Ultimate was the best. I actually enjoyed it so much I stopped collecting the 616 stuff for a long while, until ultimatum that is when the ultimate universe decided to go all reservoir dogs on me.

#31 Posted by dangallant984 (1282 posts) - - Show Bio

@chasereis said:

@dangallant984: Are you shitting me? Joe Fixit was AWESOME! I loved the Keown + David combi, actually come to think about I think David is the only person in recent memory that has successfully pulled off making Doc Samson cool. I remember when he analyzed Quicksilver in 'factor.

That was a great issue! I especially liked how it explained Quicksilver. and it was even better when they did it the second time, in the new X-factor.

#32 Posted by chasereis (794 posts) - - Show Bio

@dangallant984: Yes it was really good. Too bad they didnt remain true to that formula, it would have been worth the time and money to see that develop properly. You know that whole son of m thing...ugh.

#33 Posted by Dragonborn_CT (20556 posts) - - Show Bio

Chuck Austen stands out.. of how bad his run was. I mean holy s***!

#34 Posted by dangallant984 (1282 posts) - - Show Bio

@chasereis said:

@dangallant984: Yes it was really good. Too bad they didnt remain true to that formula, it would have been worth the time and money to see that develop properly. You know that whole son of m thing...ugh.

Yeah, but I actually enjoyed Son of M; I never thought I'd care about a miniseries staring Quicksilver, but it was actually kind of cool.

#35 Posted by chasereis (794 posts) - - Show Bio

@dangallant984: eh. I think it was ok, but the inhumans was just the final nail in the coffin for me...sorry bro.

#36 Posted by dangallant984 (1282 posts) - - Show Bio

@chasereis: hahaha! no, that's totally understandable; it's a story I enjoyed, but it's not one I'd recommend to anyone but the most die-hard of Quicksilver fans, of which there are understandably few..

#37 Posted by Shamelesslysupportinaznballers (553 posts) - - Show Bio

Forget the writing, it's all about the art & Jim Lee beats them all.

#38 Posted by chasereis (794 posts) - - Show Bio

@dangallant984: inhumans, new warriors, brotherhood of evil mutants / freedom force and to some degree, excalibur. they are ALL cursed, anything those groups touch turn to feces. I dont know what it is but is bad.

#39 Posted by dangallant984 (1282 posts) - - Show Bio

@chasereis said:

@dangallant984: inhumans, new warriors, brotherhood of evil mutants / freedom force and to some degree, excalibur. they are ALL cursed, anything those groups touch turn to feces. I dont know what it is but is bad.

I see your point, but I would argue that the Brotherhood/Freedom Force doesn't belong on that list because

A.) to the best of my knowledge, they never had their own series. And

B.) the Days of Future Past is still one of the best X-men stories.

Also really liked when they fought the X-men right after Rogue joined just so Mystique could talk to her. And it was them who brought in Magneto for the Trial of Magneto, which is another essential X-men read. Yeah, no, I love Mystique's Brotherhood, I can't help it.

#40 Posted by chasereis (794 posts) - - Show Bio

@dangallant984: I actually say that I like freedom force (Mystiques' brotherhood) far more than any other incarnation. Whether by flaw or design it has more than its share of bad characters. Aslo claremont did a good job over all of the FForce vs storm from the 2'-teens in uncanny. I just cannot into the characters.

Ones I dont care for much are Super Sabre, Crimson Commando, Stonewall, Blob (Gawd just go away), Lorelei, Unus, Vanisher, Lifter, Burner, Shocker, Peepers, Slither, Avalanche, Phantazia, Thornn, Toad, Black Tom, Mammomax (really?), Spyne, Ever, Fatale, Post, Astra and lastly that damned N-Girl sh!t.

Ones that worked Magneto, Mystique, Pyro, Rogue, Nocturne, Mastermind(s), Spiral, Dark Beast

Those are the ones I can remember I'm certain there are others but you see my point here. I don't think so many characters should delegated as plot vehicles. The better the villain is developed the more heroic the main cast are too be found in said villain's defeat.

#41 Posted by dangallant984 (1282 posts) - - Show Bio

@chasereis: yeah, I guess in my mind there are only two real Brotherhoods, Magneto's and Mystique's.

And to my mind Mystique's was far better. I love her, love Destiny; Pyro, Blob, and Avalanche are all suitably interesting for being super powered thugs, and I like that that's where Rogue started out. After that though, yeah, all kinds of generic filler.

Though I'm always interested to see who Mystique will get together next; I guess she's working with Sabertooth now, and I like those odds.

#42 Posted by chasereis (794 posts) - - Show Bio

@dangallant984: Mystique is a very good character on that we defintely agree. One last thing, Marauders or Brotherhood and which writer to use them? Claremont's Marauders are mine, hands down. My least favorite would be Liefeld's Brotherhood. Again hands down.

#43 Posted by dangallant984 (1282 posts) - - Show Bio

@chasereis: Claremont's Brotherhood AND Claremont's Marauders trump any other version of either, really, but I'd go with the Brotherhood over the Marauders, mostly because of Mystique and Destiny, and also because they were in a bunch more stories that I liked a lot more. And now we have both officially abandoned the whole point of this thread. Oops.

That said, the Brotherhood has had way more, and way crappier versions of it than the Marauders have, but outside of the Mutant Massacre, they never really did a lot for me, which is kind of too bad. And I am more than happy to disregard everything that Liefeld has ever done, if it means I never have to think about it again.

#44 Posted by broo1232 (1520 posts) - - Show Bio

RICK REMENDER'S UNCANNY X-FORCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.