Follow

X-Men

Team » X-Men appears in 13416 issues.

The X-Men are a superhero team of mutants founded by Professor Charles Xavier. They are dedicated to helping fellow mutants and sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them.

No more mutants post Secret Wars.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 64

#1  Edited By Teerack

So anyone else thing it's likely that after Secret Wars all mutant characters like Scott Summers and the rest of the X-Men will not be mutants but all Inhumans since Disney can use Inhumans in their movies, but not mutants? I think it would be a pretty smart way of stealing back their characters from Fox.

I really hope it does happen because there is a reason the Avengers have become the headlining fore front of the Marvel Universe. If they could just simple rebrand the X-Men and keep the characters it would lead to them getting a lot more lime light and focus.

westy206

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@teerack: They wouldn't get the movie rights of these characters by doing this.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Teerack

@westy206: They could if they change their origin enough. Similar to how they are able to have Quicksilver in their movies by making it so he isn't a mutant and not related to magneto. It also prevents Fox from getting any new characters since ever new mutant in comics can be in a fox movie but if they kept having new inhumans then all of those characters wouldn't go to fox.

Avatar image for earthsmightiest
    EarthsMightiest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@teerack said:

So anyone else thing it's likely that after Secret Wars all mutant characters like Scott Summers and the rest of the X-Men will not be mutants but all Inhumans

No

EC2277

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It would be one of the best way to lead Marvel to bankrupt: everyone know that the X-Men are mutants and turn them into inhumans would like turn Superman into an normal human. Nobody would understand that and they would lost all the readers of their most successful franchise, without gain new.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ec2277: It wouldn't actually effect anything beside changing a word. Retcons happen all the time and things keep going.

In terms of going bankrupt... it has been over a decade since comics was marvel's main source of revenue.

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That really wouldnt change anything. Fox would be nuclear levels of stupid if they didn't specifically name the assets within the X-Men property as well as you know the name "X-Men" when they bought the rights to make movies.

Avatar image for deactivated-097092725
    deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

There's about three worlds in the map that tell me mutants will be around, Mutopia being one of them.

DaymarePrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Truth be told, it would not make much of an actual Marvel impact. Those labeled mutant in the past would still be useable by Fox and such. In reality, Marvel could lose the X-men and not have a major loss in income, the titles they have are not a huge roll and only 2 of them do stellar numbers (but not past X-men numbers). Even the solo books could leave without all but a few #'ers being thoroughly devastated. There is a place for Uncanny and X-men but the rest of the line could honestly vanish and they could fill the void with other titles that would sell as many copies as they do per month. It may be a little harsh and understated but the loss could truly be filled, especially in current state.

The other side, and I do not think they will turn many more into Inhumans, but any of the alternate reality X-men that survive to make up the new team may not be official mutants...the Ultimate X-men are man-made so they are more inline with Spider-Man (although 616 is going to cease). Mutants may be endangered but they will not be stricken completely...the title of X-men may stick around but I could see it fading to oblivion after a time.

EC2277

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By EC2277

@ms-lola said:

There's about three worlds in the map that tell me mutants will be around, Mutopia being one of them.

I think you will appreciate this article: Decripting the teaser; Battleworld map

We could associate to the mutants 7/8 different countries: 3 (Domains of Apocalypse/Age of Apocalypse), 17 (Marville/Avengers versus X-Men), 29 (Monarchy of M/House of M), 30 (Sentinel territories/Years of future past), 31 (The Wasteland/Old man Logan), 32 (Mutopia/???), 33 (Werchester/X-Men'92) and 36 (Bar Sinister/???). How you can see from the picture below, the appointment of six of these countries is certain, because confirmed by Marvel itself by the teasers and it's very difficult not to correlate also Bar Sinister to the X-Men. Maybe Mutopia couldn't correlated to the mutant, but with such name…

Avatar image for deactivated-097092725
    deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@ec2277 said:

@ms-lola: Are you saying about Battleworld of Secret Wars?

I think you appreciate this article: Decripting the teaser; Battleworld map

We could associate to the mutants 7/8 different countries: 3 (Domains of Apocalypse/Age of Apocalypse), 17 (Marville/Avengers versus X-Men), 29 (Monarchy of M/House of M), 30 (Sentinel territories/Years of future past), 31 (The Wasteland/Old man Logan), 32 (Mutopia/???), 33 (Werchester/X-Men'92) and 36 (Bar Sinister/???). How you can see from the picture below, the appointment of six of these countries is certain, because confirmed by Marvel itself and it's very difficult not to correlate another countries (Bar Sinister) to the X-Men. Maybe Mutopia couldn't correlated to the mutant, but with such name…

That is fantastic article! Thank you.

Avatar image for hopesummersforthefuture
    HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

NO!!!

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

as others have said there isn't any reason to do this as it wouldn't accomplish anything....Fox owns the movie rights to the characters themselves not just the term "mutant" and the reason that Marvel can use Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch is because of their history with the Avengers...yes they have to change their origins but that's because Fox owns the mutant part and Marvel owns the Avengers part

Avatar image for symbioticspider-man
    SymbioticSpider-Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

I would boycott Marvel/complain about it on the internet

phisigmatau

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

nah not happen bro

Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 79

User Lists: 3

I don't really see it happening since Fox still owns the movie rights to the X-Men and turning the X-Men into Inhumans is not really going to stop Fox from still making the X-Men into mutants. Also, I can see a big upset in the fanbase if this were to happen since people are already upset at the fact that Scarlett Witch and Quicksilver might be inhumans and making the X-Men into inhumans is just going to be a big slap in the face to the fans who like the idea that the X-Men are mutants.

AwesomePerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#17  Edited By AwesomePerson

If X-Men goes...

I will go to DC....

darthphoenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By darthphoenix

would cry on my way to dc

Nipower888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The x-men are too big of a franchise to do this. The x-men by themselves can honestly hold up 5-10 titles when done well. So marvel would never do this. They might down play them but never make them inhumans

Avatar image for deactivated-5e385ee5c8c54
    deactivated-5e385ee5c8c54

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ec2277 said:

It would be one of the best way to lead Marvel to bankrupt: everyone know that the X-Men are mutants and turn them into inhumans would like turn Superman into an normal human. Nobody would understand that and they would lost all the readers of their most successful franchise, without gain new.

its more like turning superman into a daxamite haha

EC2277

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@martinceld: Thank you, I don't read DC comics, then I didn't knew who is a daxamite. :-)

Dman1366

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays said:

That really wouldnt change anything. Fox would be nuclear levels of stupid if they didn't specifically name the assets within the X-Men property as well as you know the name "X-Men" when they bought the rights to make movies.

This. Nothing would change. Even if Marvel changed names, costumes, and origins for the X-Men, Fox could still press charges on the likeness rights alone.

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I feel like, if Marvel wanted to pull some stupid/crazy stunt like this, they'd be brainstorming on how to get/keep Spider-Man characters, before they worried about X-Men.

Spidey_Jackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Spidey_Jackson

That would be the stupidest thing ever.

Beata

Stahlflamme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

Okay, did I miss some memo that says MCU Quicksilver and SW are actually Inhumans and not just some experiments Hydra cooked up?

Did I further miss something that said Marvel could use those two in their movies, if they changed the comic book versions origins AFTER using them already?

Plus if they actually planned on making mutants Inhumans and use those in the MCU, why in the world would they push actual Inhumans in the comics?

Avatar image for phoenixofthetides
    PhoenixoftheTides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Story wise, it would actually work somewhat to connect mutants to Inhumans. Just speaking from a broad editorial p.o.v., that would be an easy way to connect various parts of the Marvel Universe and actually make it a stronger, more cohesive world. IMHO.

Legal wise, Marvel wouldn't be able to do it (or they would be very stupid if they did). There would be a lawsuit if that happened, and I think (as a person who works in the legal side of the entertainment industry) that a court would find that this is an act of bad faith by Marvel. They could potentially be punished by losing all profits from future movies, or be forced to honor the original contract. It would be a very bad thing for the industry if a company that spends millions of dollars to get the exclusive rights to produce a character movie had to be careful that the creator could just publish a few comics to change the origin, and lose that exclusivity. It devalues the worth of entering into contracts with that company.

tristanfey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@teerack: They cannot get their characters back by simply changing their origins. If that was the case they would have done so a long time ago. The reason they can use Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver is that both Marvel and FOX have the film rights to them. Marvel has them due to their ties to the Avengers, but cannot refer to Magneto, the X-Men or call them mutants. Fox has them, but cannot refer to the Avengers. They are the only two shared characters in relation to film rights. As to the changing their origins, that is a result of them being added to the MCU and Marvels ongoing attempts to make the comics sync up with the movies, not the other way around.

SodamYat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

nah

HexThis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

No, there's so much X-men nostalgia, especially with Marvel's target audience (18-35), that they couldn't get away with that. Marvel must be aware it's tarnishing their brand to even "accidentally" elude to such changes seeing as how they went to the Hollywood Reporter and insisted they weren't tailoring the comics to the movies.

Avatar image for raggedscarecrow
    RaggedScarecrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No. Marvel hasn't always been the greatest, but I think that level of idiocy is beyond even them. Despite what Bleeding Cool would have us believe, Marvel still makes decent money of the X-Men franchise. Alienating fans of an existing franchise just so they can try, emphasis try, and create a new one, one which they can synergize with their movie franchise, is just bad business that I, personally, think Marvel is smart enough not to do.

Takeshi55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Takeshi55

Wanda and Pietro are exceptions, because a large part of them is with the Avengers. The only X-Men which could get changed into Inhuman are Beast and Wolverine, but since Wolverine's back story has been mentioned so many times, it just wouldn't make sense.

Jbreen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't believe that Marvel would be stupid enough to get rid of the X-Men. The X-Men titles are really big sellers and thus makes Marvel a good amount of money. If they were to get rid of the X-Men they would lose that revenue and there is no guarantee in the slightest that the Inhumans would fill the void left, no matter how much Marvel would want them too.

Takeshi55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why is Ultimate Manhattan part of 616 Manhattan in Battleworld?

Avatar image for raggedscarecrow
    RaggedScarecrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I very much doubt that Marvel would do that. Why risk an established franchise that they still make money from on a roll of the dice to see whether or not they can make over an existing franchise to create synergy with a Cinematic universe that won't last forever? It's just to risky a business strategy. Mind you, I could be wrong; who knows what's going on inside Disney/Marvel HQ...

If they do, however, I can tell you I won't be picking up any X-Men titles until they go back to being Mutants again, meaning that the Marvel side of my pull list will pretty much disappear (although it's already sorta done that).

EC2277

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By EC2277

@takeshi55 said:

Why is Ultimate Manhattan part of 616 Manhattan in Battleworld?

Battleworld Manhattan is subdivided in four areas: Ultimate Manhattan, 616 Manhattan, Attilian and Monster Metropolis, which is below 616 Manhattan. So Ultimate Manhattan isn't a part of 616 Manhattan, but both are part of Battleworld Manhattan. It's like Bronx and Staten Island: Bronx isn't part of Staten Island, but both are part of New York.

DaymarePrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just think they will pair the line down. Keep O5 versions and a few others, bring back a Wolverine, and have some of the popular characters continue on. I do think we will lose some of the chacraters once all is said and down to the shelf like the current Psylocke, Rachel, and the like.

I am not sorry that an abundance of the titles are ending. The solo's have either been very sub-par or they have run the end of their storylines. Having one or 2 X-men proper titles like X-men and Uncanny, and picking the right cast and talent could make them shine again. They would never get rid of the idea permanently but I do think it will have less of a focus. In general, fan or no fan, the line has little to no importance in the Marvel U as a whole at the moment.

wtk1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Umm. No. Even if it does happen, the X-men will always be known as mutants to us. X-men characters need to stay mutants.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So Johnny Storm of the Fantastic Four will be on the new inhuman team which might mean him and his family(the fantastic four) were inhumans all along. Kinda makes the idea that they might be retconning the x-men to be inhumans more believable.

Takeshi55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@teerack said:

So Johnny Storm of the Fantastic Four will be on the new inhuman team which might mean him and his family(the fantastic four) were inhumans all along. Kinda makes the idea that they might be retconning the x-men to be inhumans more believable.

Wouldn't that mean just Susuan is inhuman too? I'm not sure about the other FF members.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@takeshi55: I think the idea would be the cosmic wave that hit them was some kind of teragenisis energy. So they could have all had inhuman dna in them, but that sounds kind unlikely statistically. They haven't revealed all the details on it so it is possible Johnny is only on the team because of his past in the negative zone and how he united the inhumans in Hickman's FF run, but currently Johnny is depowered, so going through teragenisis could be the way he gets his powers back.

sian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not so long ago I read of a furious former Marvel fan who cancelled every one of his subscriptions after Disney bought them - he referred to Disney as 'the decaying mouse'.

At the time I thought the was overreacting but now it seems his fears are realised.

I can't help but think if Disney indeed are thinking of replacing the franchise they are making a big mistake - they make big money from movies but also from comics, and if they didn't want to make money from comics why buy a comic book franchise?

EC2277

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By EC2277

@sian: If I remember well what I read time ago, Alonso said that they are following the publishing program that they had already planned in 2008. So I don't think Disney have any fault about what is happening.

On the contrary it seems to me, that Disney leaves the totally freedom of action at Questada & Co. Limiting itself to use Marvel to publish the comics of Star Wars; at least for the moment.

tigerkaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Good news dumb, dumbs.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/alonso-the-x-men-remain-an-integral-part-of-the-marvel-universe

Am shame to it won't happen but hopefully more X-men die post Secret War.

Mooty_Pass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

JackJack390

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@teerack: No, gosh no, no gosh, no, (Pause) NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.