New X men

#1 Edited by unicornpuncher (418 posts) - - Show Bio

Its no secret I am a fan of the New X men and the great run they had before it got pulled, and I know there are many of you out there who feel the same. But I wonder do you think maybe its a case of holding these characters on a pedistal? To me they are some of the most interesting new mutants we have seen in awhile that just kind of faded into the background.

My question is even if they were brought back, do you think readers would ever be satisfied with their storylines? Legacy seemed to be doing a great job of spotlighting some of the kids, but even as a team book would it ever be as good as it was in the peak of its hay day?

#2 Posted by papad1992 (6822 posts) - - Show Bio

@unicornpuncher said:

Its no secret I am a fan of the New X men and the great run they had before it got pulled, and I know there are many of you out there who feel the same. But I wonder do you think maybe its a case of holding these characters on a pedistal? To me they are some of the most interesting new mutants we have seen in awhile that just kind of faded into the background.

My question is even if they were brought back, do you think readers would ever be satisfied with their storylines? Legacy seemed to be doing a great job of spotlighting some of the kids, but even as a team book would it ever be as good as it was in the peak of its hay day?

As a fellow New X-Men lover... I can defiantly say that if Marvel gives birth to another New X-Men book, I would defiantly pick it just to see how it pars against its predecessor!!

#3 Edited by Jonny_Anonymous (32646 posts) - - Show Bio
@unicornpuncher: Are you talking about this New X-Men? in Which case I say they should dump Gen Hope and bring it back
#4 Posted by unicornpuncher (418 posts) - - Show Bio

@spiderbat87: Those would be the exact group I am talking about. Gen Hope kids can go die in a fire, lets bring new Xmen back. Id hate to say it but they have been way more interesting than Gen Hope or New Mutants so far.

#5 Posted by John Valentine (16270 posts) - - Show Bio

It would really depend on the cast and the creative team. As long as it has the core New X-Men Members (Hellion, Mercury, Dust, Rockslide, Surge, Anole etc) and a decent creative team, or ideally Kyle and Yost, then I'd be more than game.

I really wish Kyle/Yost would do a 12-issue limited series featuring the cast of their run, maybe have it as a road trip or something.

#6 Posted by AgeofHurricane (7261 posts) - - Show Bio

Not sure why Christina Weir and Co. have flown off the face of the MU, if they did ever happen to come back, the New X-Men would most definitely be saved.

#7 Posted by John Valentine (16270 posts) - - Show Bio

@AgeofHurricane said:

Not sure why Christina Weir and Co. have flown off the face of the MU, if they did ever happen to come back, the New X-Men would most definitely be saved.

I personally preferred the Kyle/Yost stuff, though I would like Sofia and Hellion to be together.

#8 Posted by AgeofHurricane (7261 posts) - - Show Bio
@John Valentine said:

@AgeofHurricane said:

I personally preferred the Kyle/Yost stuff, though I would like Sofia and Hellion to be together.

I like Kyle/Yost, but the way i saw it, their run on the NXM wasn't needed. They more or less turned it into another slasher flick just because of M-Day, then, decided to ship a truckload of useful characters out. Not to mention, destroyed Sofia and Julian as well as Josh and Laurie.
#9 Posted by John Valentine (16270 posts) - - Show Bio

@AgeofHurricane said:

@John Valentine said:

@AgeofHurricane said:

I like Kyle/Yost, but the way i saw it, their run on the NXM wasn't needed. They more or less turned it into another slasher flick just because of M-Day, then, decided to ship a truckload of useful characters out. Not to mention, destroyed Sofia and Julian as well as Josh and Laurie.

Weir and co's style of writing wouldn't have fitted the book after M-Day.

Second to this, Kyle and Yost developed the characters really well. Elixir and Hellion are prime examples of this. Mercury, Dust, Prodigy, Dust and Anole too. The run made them more like the X-Men/superheroes they were destined to be and less like teenagers with powers.

Aside from Wind Dancer, the rest of the characters they didn't actually use were pretty lame anyway, and the aftermath of their deaths served to be more relevant than they would have been.

Kyle and Yost's work is much more relevant to the New X-Men mythos than Weir and Co and way more entertaining to read through.

#10 Posted by AgeofHurricane (7261 posts) - - Show Bio
@John Valentine said:

@AgeofHurricane said:

@John Valentine said:

@AgeofHurricane said:

Second to this, Kyle and Yost developed the characters really well. Elixir and Hellion are prime examples of this. Mercury, Dust, Prodigy, Dust and Anole too. The run made them more like the X-Men/superheroes they were destined to be and less like teenagers with powers.

Aside from Wind Dancer, the rest of the characters they didn't actually use were pretty lame anyway, and the aftermath of their deaths served to be more relevant than they would have been.

Kyle and Yost's work is much more relevant to the New X-Men mythos than Weir and Co and way more entertaining to read through.

True. But I'm more of a Weir and Co. fan, i can see what you're trying to say though as this isn't the first time I've read something like this, though, i disagree with the devlopement of characters thing, Weir and co. developed the characters mentioned just as well, if not better than Kyle/Yost, even if they didn't have as much time. 
#11 Edited by John Valentine (16270 posts) - - Show Bio

@AgeofHurricane said:

@John Valentine said:

@AgeofHurricane said:

@John Valentine said:

@AgeofHurricane said:

True. But I'm more of a Weir and Co. fan, i can see what you're trying to say though as this isn't the first time I've read something like this, though, i disagree with the devlopement of characters thing, Weir and co. developed the characters mentioned just as well, if not better than Kyle/Yost, even if they didn't have as much time.

In reality, they didn't have any less time, if anything they had more than Kyle/Yost:

They had 12 issues from New Mutants Vol.2, the 4 issues from the 2005 Hellions mini-series and the first 19 issues of New X-Men (Academy X), plus an annual. I make that 36 issues. By comparison, Kyle and Yost had 27 issues of New X-Men.

Again, the characters Kyle and Yost focused on went from being high schoolers to young X-Men. So much of the Weir and DeFillipis run just focused on petty high-school type relationships

I suppose it really comes down to what you value in a comic. I valued the super heroics and more, for lack of a better word, mature post M-Day characterisation of these characters. It was more exciting. I don't care about a prom (something I think would be less of a concern for the New X-Men, than say, being hunted to extinction). I'm more interested in seeing the New X-Men work together and take down a Nimrod. That's so much more fun to read, for me at least.

I still really liked the Weir/DeFillipis stuff, by the way. After, all they were the ones who created the characters. It just so happened that Kyle and Yost happened to focus on my favourites from the Hellions/New Mutants. I can see why, if you really liked Wind Dancer and Wallflower, you'd prefer Weir/DeFillipis' New X-Men.

#12 Posted by AgeofHurricane (7261 posts) - - Show Bio
@John Valentine said:

@AgeofHurricane said:

@John Valentine said:

@AgeofHurricane said:

@John Valentine said:

@AgeofHurricane said:

In reality, they didn't have any less time, if anything they had more than Kyle/Yost:

They had 12 issues from New Mutants Vol.2, the 4 issues from the 2005 Hellions mini-series and the first 19 issues of New X-Men (Academy X), plus an annual. I make that 36 issues. By comparison, Kyle and Yost had 27 issues of New X-Men.

Again, the characters Kyle and Yost focused on went from being high schoolers to young X-Men. So much of the Weir and DeFillipis run just focused on petty high-school type relationships

I suppose it really comes down to what you value in a comic. I valued the super heroics and more, for lack of a better word, mature post M-Day characterisation of these characters. It was more exciting. I don't care about a prom (something I think would be less of a concern for the New X-Men, than say, being hunted to extinction). I'm more interested in seeing the New X-Men work together and take down a Nimrod. That's so much more fun to read, for me at least.

I still really liked the Weir/DeFillipis stuff, by the way. After, all they were the ones who created the characters. It just so happened that Kyle and Yost happened to focus on my favourites from the Hellions/New Mutants. I can see why, if you really liked Wind Dancer and Wallflower, you'd prefer Weir/DeFillipis' New X-Men.

That is what it all comes down to, part of what drew me to New Mutants/Academy X/New X-Men was that it focused on the younger generation of mutants and what they went through, as stories prior to Grant Morrisons epic run always focused on the adults, so, you'd forget that there were any children in the mutant community other than Jubilation and Kitty and others from Generation X. Not to mention, the relationships/frienships that Weir and co. were iconic and still stand till today. Boy, they'll definitely be missed.
#13 Posted by John Valentine (16270 posts) - - Show Bio

@AgeofHurricane said:

That is what it all comes down to, part of what drew me to New Mutants/Academy X/New X-Men was that it focused on the younger generation of mutants and what they went through, as stories prior to Grant Morrisons epic run always focused on the adults, so, you'd forget that there were any children in the mutant community other than Jubilation and Kitty and others from Generation X. Not to mention, the relationships/frienships that Weir and co. were iconic and still stand till today. Boy, they'll definitely be missed.

I think it makes a big difference if you read a lot of their stuff when you first properly started reading comics. That's what happened with the Kyle/Lost stuff for me.

A lot of the New Mutant friendships were already pretty ruined before the House of M/M-day issues of the series. It's always been the the Hellion's relationships that were the strongest, IMO.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.