Follow

X-Men

Team » X-Men appears in 13419 issues.

The X-Men are a superhero team of mutants founded by Professor Charles Xavier. They are dedicated to helping fellow mutants and sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them.

New Storm Title

• 70 results
    Veitha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

I read that we're getting a new Storm ongoing online and I found this

http://www.previewsworld.com/Home/1/1/71/918?stockItemID=MAY140882

Well, I was hoping for an Emma Frost solo series and I'm a bit disappointed since Ororo is already in a lot of titles, but anyway she deserved a solo title, I just don't know how long it could possibly last(or if it a mini)

Jphu8414

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

Hmm interesting, I like Storm and will jump at a chance at anything related to her character but like you said she is in a few titles already.

Tohoma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Awww man, I wanted a Wolverine book. He definitely needs more exposure.

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By jhazzroucher

Im so excited about this book! : )

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By jhazzroucher

Im so excited about this book! : )

poisonfleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

IT'S ABOUT D@MN TIME!

poisonfleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By poisonfleur
    No Caption Provided

Cutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Cool...another solo book of Storm...no image? I'll probably check it out...I like Storm.

Avatar image for deactivated-5baa5ef93cf0f
    deactivated-5baa5ef93cf0f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Good god, how many solo titles do we honestly need? I'm not saying that Storm doesn't deserve it but this is starting to get ridiculous.

primebonnick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

aww man now i have to do over my comic book budget sigh great news though.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Breaking News for August:

Storm title is cancelled

Veitha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mn_logan you're right, we are getting more and more solo titles, not that I dislike the idea(most of them are quite good indeed. Elektra is just brilliant). Today they also announced a Starlord solo title, so alongside Rocket Racoon, Storm, Deathlock and Starlord this month they have already announced four new solo titles, and I don't think that they will stop lol.

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Koays  Online

Don't want another solo, don't think we need a Storm solo(at the moment anyway), and really am left wondering what the X-Men books are supposed to be about if all the characters are going to be developed in separate titles....

poisonfleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Storm deserves a solo, but the amount of solo out & coming are nuts! If everyone has a solo-- then what's the point?
    Who is deserving?
    Storm- Yes
    Wolverine- Yes-- he deserves ONE!
    Nightcrawler- Yes
    Gambit- Yes
    Hawkeye- Yes
    Black Widow- Yes
    Elektra- Yes
    Doop- NO
    Ms.Marvel/Captain Marvel- No
    She-hulk- Sure? I guess she has her fans..
    Cyclops- No
    Nova- No
    Magneto- Sure? No really necessary-- Maybe if it was him & Mystique & another...
    Moon Knight- No
    Starlord- No. Not yet anyways. Too soon.

What do you guys think?

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@koays: @mn_logan: agree with these statements. We dont need anymore solos. Xmen should be about the group. The books are already suffering creatively imo now these solos keep watering down the product. I love Storm but come on, enough with the solos.

Spideysense44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Marvel is doing great with their solo comics but I mean the line should be drawn here

darthphoenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

storm is too busy being a headmistress, x-man and avenger.

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Storm deserves a solo, but the amount of solo out & coming are nuts! If everyone has a solo-- then what's the point?

Who is deserving?

Storm- Yes

Nightcrawler- Yes

Gambit- Yes

Hawkeye- Yes

Black Widow- Yes

Elektra- Yes

Doop- NO

Cyclops- No

Nova- No

Magneto- Sure? No really necessary-- Maybe if it was him & Mystique & another...

Moon Knight- No

What do you guys think?

To say Storm deserves a solo title over characters like Ms. Marvel/Captain Marvel and Moon Knight is absurd. It's great Storm is getting a solo but I think we all know it won't last more than a year if she's lucky.

poisonfleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darthphoenix: Storm isn't an Avenger anymore. Besides, Wolverine was an Avenger, X-men, and Headmaster and nobody thought twice about it. Besides I think Storm is more capable of pulling that off than he is.

@poisonfleur said:

Who is deserving?

Storm- Yes

Nightcrawler- Yes

Gambit- Yes

Hawkeye- Yes

Black Widow- Yes

Elektra- Yes

Doop- NO

Cyclops- No

Nova- No

Moon Knight- No

What do you guys think?

To say Storm deserves a solo title over characters like Ms. Marvel/Captain Marvel and Moon Knight is absurd. It's great Storm is getting a solo but I think we all know it won't last more than a year if she's lucky.

Maybe so. But it's my opinion. I think Ms.Marvel has been given chances upon chances and her stuff isn't really that great. He last solo before this relaunch was alright, but I quit. And Moon Knight & Nova-- I can't stand.

Veitha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@poisonfleur said:

Who is deserving?

Storm- Yes

Nightcrawler- Yes

Gambit- Yes

Hawkeye- Yes

Black Widow- Yes

Elektra- Yes

Doop- NO

Cyclops- No

Nova- No

Moon Knight- No

What do you guys think?

I don't completely agree. I think that Storm, Gambit, Ciclops(as much as I'm hyped about All New Cyclops) and Nigthcrawler, compared to other characters, didn't deserve a solo title. They have their chance to shine every week in their books, while most of the other characters aren't in other books or even if they are they have a minor role. X-Books are group books, that is the great thing about them. I don't get the same feeling about Avengers books, since most of the cast is in the shadows for most of the book, and they don't interact as the mutants do. Then a book for Rocket Racoon and Starlord is a waste for me, since they are featured prominently and explored in Guardians of the Galaxy, which is essentially a Star Lord book.

I think that between the ones you listed, the ones that really did deserve a title are people that don't always get to shine in their own books or that are better without a team surrounding them. So I think that Elektra, Moon Knight, She-Hulk, Hawkeye and Magneto(he had to turn into the good, old Magneto, leaving the X-Men is a good thing for him imo) are the ones that really need and deserve a solo title that can also bring something different from other comics we get to read today(artistically). Then I'd put Hawkeye(he talks a lot in Avengers but with no actual development), Black Widow(maybe, I'm pretty sure that it'll get closed soon), Ms.Marvel(Kamala is a good idea and she doesn't belong to any team) and Captain Marvel(but I have a sof spot for her lol) as the ones who deserve a solo book. Nova now is in the New Warriors so they could close his book(and I hate Sam Alexander).

To sum up, X-related characters for me are better in a team book, unless, as Magneto, they leave the team for some reason. Wolverine is different, he is one of the main characters in Marvel, they will push him as long as he will get them money. And Doop is a joke lol(and a mini)

Avatar image for thecheesestabber
    TheCheeseStabber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@poisonfleur: Have you read the New Moon Knight? Its pretty amazing,

Might check out the new Storm though site in the OP looks sketch so I'll believe when I see it.

I just hope its like Magneto in the fact its not really an X Book and its on its own.

Too many X Books out

tomasmaclgh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Marvel's July solicitations:

STORM #1

MARVEL COMICS

(W) Greg Pak (A/CA) Victor Ibanez

CLASSIFIED

Avatar image for raggedscarecrow
    RaggedScarecrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Marvel's July solicitations:

STORM #1

MARVEL COMICS

(W) Greg Pak (A/CA) Victor Ibanez

CLASSIFIED

We'll probably get the big reveal at this weekend's C2E2.

THUNDERBOLT30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@poisonfleur: 100% agreed on Storm deserving a shot at a solo book. She has never had one and I think her character needs the focus. Plus Greg Pak ...:-). Over all I like his past work with Ororo and what he did with Dazzler in XXM vol 2.

This news is AWESOME!

Roddy010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Roddy010
    No Caption Provided

Haters gonna hate.

THUNDERBOLT30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By THUNDERBOLT30

@roddy010: lol agreed. This is LONG overdue :-)!

Avatar image for oldnightcrawler
    oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#27  Edited By oldnightcrawler

I'm already reading two books in which Storm is one of the main characters, so I don't see why I would bother with this.

Storm shouldn't need her own book for the same reason Mr.Fantastic shouldn't need his own book, her story should be central to the X-men's story anyway.

I don't think of it like which character "deserves" their own title. It would be easy to say that a character like, say, Doop is less deserving of his own book because he's a less central character, but I think the opposite's true: because Doop's story isn't important to the X-men's, it should be told in a separate book, whereas I feel Storm's story should be central to the X-men's and so should just be told in the X-men books.

I mean, any character can be great in the hands of the right creators, in a good story. I don't have any particular interest in Hawkeye as a character in and of him/herself, but the book itself is consistently good, so it isn't really a question of the character deserving it, because the stories themselves are good.

Storm, Cyclops, Nightcrawler, and Wolverine may be among my favorite characters, but they're my favorites because they're such a large part of what I like about the X-men; so to have them in stories separate from the X-men needs a better justification than that they deserve to be recognized for their relevance. They already are recognized as central characters in the X-men, and hold more relevance in that capacity than anything any of them will do separately.If they're going to be in their own books, it should be because they're in stories that aren't central to the X-men's story, stories that wouldn't work as part of the X-men's, not just because they're popular or whatever.

Avatar image for stormrocksthexmen
    StormRockstheXMEN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm already reading two books in which Storm is one of the main characters, so I don't see why I would bother with this.

Storm shouldn't need her own book for the same reason Mr.Fantastic shouldn't need his own book, her story should be central to the X-men's story anyway.

I don't think of it like which character "deserves" their own title. It would be easy to say that a character like, say, Doop is less deserving of his own book because he's a less central character, but I think the opposite's true: because Doop's story isn't important to the X-men's, it should be told in a separate book, whereas I feel Storm's story should be central to the X-men's and so should just be told in the X-men books.

If the bolded part were still true I would 100% agree with you. However, those days are long gone Storm's story hasn't been central to the X-Men for years. Marvel made a colossal mistake marrying her to the Black Panther and removing her from the X-Men world. While the marriage in and off itself wasn't a terrible idea, the ramifications were awful for Storm. I posted my reasoning for this in a different forum, but essentially the marriage forced Storm out of the X-Men's and into the Avenger's editorial control.

The following is was taken from article by Steve Morris which explains the problem with Storm better than I could.

"As a result of Storm marrying Black Panther, she moved from the X-Men office to the Avengers office, where T’Challa is managed. This meant she had to be removed from Uncanny X-Men, annoying Claremont (who also lost Kitty Pryde at around the same time, and is rumored to be the main point of contention between him and the company). It also allegedly meant that Ed Brubaker’s plans to use her in his Uncanny X-Men run had to be initially quelled, as the focus had to be on establishing her as a supporting cast member to the Black Panther book. The wedding issue saw massive sales, and tied in to Civil War.

Once she moved across to the Black Panther solo book, there was immediate discomfort with Hudlin’s stories – which seemed to have awkward political agendas shoehorned in. To top things off, Hudlin’s dialogue for Storm bore little resemblance to her previous formal style, as she became what was essentially a cheerleader for her husband’s feats. At one point she sentenced somebody to death, when Storm has always been aspired to use non-violence as an answer.

There was respite from the iffy Black Panther title when Dwayne McDuffie decided to use the characters in his Fantastic Four run, brilliantly using them as replacements for Reed Richards and Sue Storm. There was suddenly a dynamic between the couple, which seemed realistic for perhaps the first time. Their repartee was funny, they seemed to like each other, and the series was favored by critics. But this was only a short-term move, and eventually the character returned to Black Panther, which was rapidly losing sales. A series of relaunches followed, none of them lasting for a long period of time despite a number of different sales tactics.

Editorial started to feel that they had a lame duck on their hands, solidified when writers like Warren Ellis brought Storm back to the X-Men and gave her more to do as a guest than Hudlin allowed her in the book she was meant to be a central part of. The marriage became an open joke among fans, who watched as Storm’s status in the X-Men’s world dwindle, to the point where Chris Yost’s 2008 Storm miniseries ‘World’s Apart’ was entirely focused on the difficulty she’d have in living her split life.

Hudlin failed to get the Black Panther cartoon a run on BET, instead having to settle for a direct-to-DVD release. At the same time, he left the comic book and was replaced by Jonathan Maberry, who couldn’t reverse the sales decline. The book was cancelled. Incredibly, Marvel’s most famous female character was now unused. X-Men writers started to bring her back into their world, with Matt Fraction setting her up in the X-Men’s Utopia location for a scattered bunch of guest-appearances. Black Panther, meanwhile, was nowhere to be seen. Having previously been promoted by a number of X-Men titles, the character was now seemingly ignored and viewed as a drag on Storm’s personality."

Moving Storm from the X-Office to the Avengers Office was like the kiss of death for the character. They had no love for one of, if not their most famous female character. Storm being under Avenger Office control is why it had to be Wolverine and not Storm who was in the schism with Cyclops (even though Storm would have made infinitely more sense).

Now that the X-Office has her back, they are working to reintegrate her after years away. They couldn't simply dump her back in the X-Men as a central character once again. The problem is the X-Men have gone in different directions, many of which don't make sense for the character of Storm. I love that Cyclops asked her to stay after schism, I don't buy that she actually would have done it. Likewise for the Jean Grey School. When Xavier was gone it the past, Storm led the X-Men and Magneto led the school. Then when Mags was gone, the new mutants gravitated to Cable and became X-Force. Storm is a great leader, but leading the school isn't her gig. It doesn't allow her the freedom necessary for her to be true to herself.

From the business side of things, love her hate her, Storm is one of Marvel's most famous female characters and is a potential cash cow for the company. This solo series is a way to bring her back to the forefront in a consistent manner so they can capitalize on her popularity.

From the fan side, Storm's lost her voice and is a far cry from the character that moved the team to Australia or bested Scott without her powers or that formed the XSE. This solo is necessary to get her back to her true self because that can't (isn't) happening within the current X-Men books.

So I very much see the need for a solo for the character.

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@stormrocksthexmen:

I don't disagree with your point that Storm hasn't been central to the X-men in years, but my point was more that she should be, and actually has in recent months started to be more central to the X-men again.

I mean, I consider myself a pretty big Storm fan, but between the way she's being voiced by Wood in X-Men and Latour in Wolverine & the X-Men, it really doesn't feel like she needs to become less central to the story to have a relevant voice. If anything her voice has become more relevant for being put back at the center of the story; isn't that better?

Avatar image for stormrocksthexmen
    StormRockstheXMEN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oldnightcrawler:

I agree that she can't be ubiquitous in all of the X-Men titles. I would give her the solo and maybe 1 general X-men title. (I don't know if it should be X-Men or Wolverine & the X-Men. I would pull her from Amazing even though I really like the book).

I am not sure if we are going to end up with her in a Wolverine type situation where she is oversaturated.

I don't know if I could say having her central story in the X-Men would be better, though. I think the problem we have is that there are too many X-Men books. There isn't a "flagship" X-Men book like we had back in the old days. Both Wood and Latour are giving us good versions of Storm, but they don't necessarily jive with each other's versions. Wood's has her insecure and unsure of her mandate and Latour is giving us a very decisive version.

I think (and by think I mean hope and pray) that having a solo would clarify the character's voice and if she is featured in other books, those writers would follow the lead of the writer of the solo to present a consistent version of Storm.

poisonfleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By poisonfleur

@oldnightcrawler said:

If the bolded part were still true I would 100% agree with you. However, those days are long gone Storm's story hasn't been central to the X-Men for years. Marvel made a colossal mistake marrying her to the Black Panther and removing her from the X-Men world. While the marriage in and off itself wasn't a terrible idea, the ramifications were awful for Storm. I posted my reasoning for this in a different forum, but essentially the marriage forced Storm out of the X-Men's and into the Avenger's editorial control.

The following is was taken from article by Steve Morris which explains the problem with Storm better than I could.

"As a result of Storm marrying Black Panther, she moved from the X-Men office to the Avengers office, where T’Challa is managed. This meant she had to be removed from Uncanny X-Men, annoying Claremont (who also lost Kitty Pryde at around the same time, and is rumored to be the main point of contention between him and the company). It also allegedly meant that Ed Brubaker’s plans to use her in his Uncanny X-Men run had to be initially quelled, as the focus had to be on establishing her as a supporting cast member to the Black Panther book. The wedding issue saw massive sales, and tied in to Civil War.

Once she moved across to the Black Panther solo book, there was immediate discomfort with Hudlin’s stories – which seemed to have awkward political agendas shoehorned in. To top things off, Hudlin’s dialogue for Storm bore little resemblance to her previous formal style, as she became what was essentially a cheerleader for her husband’s feats. At one point she sentenced somebody to death, when Storm has always been aspired to use non-violence as an answer.

There was respite from the iffy Black Panther title when Dwayne McDuffie decided to use the characters in his Fantastic Four run, brilliantly using them as replacements for Reed Richards and Sue Storm. There was suddenly a dynamic between the couple, which seemed realistic for perhaps the first time. Their repartee was funny, they seemed to like each other, and the series was favored by critics. But this was only a short-term move, and eventually the character returned to Black Panther, which was rapidly losing sales. A series of relaunches followed, none of them lasting for a long period of time despite a number of different sales tactics.

Editorial started to feel that they had a lame duck on their hands, solidified when writers like Warren Ellis brought Storm back to the X-Men and gave her more to do as a guest than Hudlin allowed her in the book she was meant to be a central part of. The marriage became an open joke among fans, who watched as Storm’s status in the X-Men’s world dwindle, to the point where Chris Yost’s 2008 Storm miniseries ‘World’s Apart’ was entirely focused on the difficulty she’d have in living her split life.

Hudlin failed to get the Black Panther cartoon a run on BET, instead having to settle for a direct-to-DVD release. At the same time, he left the comic book and was replaced by Jonathan Maberry, who couldn’t reverse the sales decline. The book was cancelled. Incredibly, Marvel’s most famous female character was now unused. X-Men writers started to bring her back into their world, with Matt Fraction setting her up in the X-Men’s Utopia location for a scattered bunch of guest-appearances. Black Panther, meanwhile, was nowhere to be seen. Having previously been promoted by a number of X-Men titles, the character was now seemingly ignored and viewed as a drag on Storm’s personality."

Moving Storm from the X-Office to the Avengers Office was like the kiss of death for the character. They had no love for one of, if not their most famous female character. Storm being under Avenger Office control is why it had to be Wolverine and not Storm who was in the schism with Cyclops (even though Storm would have made infinitely more sense).

Now that the X-Office has her back, they are working to reintegrate her after years away. They couldn't simply dump her back in the X-Men as a central character once again. The problem is the X-Men have gone in different directions, many of which don't make sense for the character of Storm. I love that Cyclops asked her to stay after schism, I don't buy that she actually would have done it. Likewise for the Jean Grey School. When Xavier was gone it the past, Storm led the X-Men and Magneto led the school. Then when Mags was gone, the new mutants gravitated to Cable and became X-Force. Storm is a great leader, but leading the school isn't her gig. It doesn't allow her the freedom necessary for her to be true to herself.

From the business side of things, love her hate her, Storm is one of Marvel's most famous female characters and is a potential cash cow for the company. This solo series is a way to bring her back to the forefront in a consistent manner so they can capitalize on her popularity.

From the fan side, Storm's lost her voice and is a far cry from the character that moved the team to Australia or bested Scott without her powers or that formed the XSE. This solo is necessary to get her back to her true self because that can't (isn't) happening within the current X-Men books.

So I very much see the need for a solo for the character.

No Caption Provided

I just read all of that!^ And this is how I feel!

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oldnightcrawler:

1. I agree that she can't be ubiquitous in all of the X-Men titles. I would give her the solo and maybe 1 general X-men title. (I don't know if it should be X-Men or Wolverine & the X-Men. I would pull her from Amazing even though I really like the book).
    2. I am not sure if we are going to end up with her in a Wolverine type situation where she is oversaturated.
    3. I don't know if I could say having her central story in the X-Men would be better, though. I think the problem we have is that there are too many X-Men books. There isn't a "flagship" X-Men book like we had back in the old days. Both Wood and Latour are giving us good versions of Storm, but they don't necessarily jive with each other's versions. Wood's has her insecure and unsure of her mandate and Latour is giving us a very decisive version.
    4. I think (and by think I mean hope and pray) that having a solo would clarify the character's voice and if she is featured in other books, those writers would follow the lead of the writer of the solo to present a consistent version of Storm.

1.) To me, Storm never seems out of place in an X-men story, and that's where her best stories have always been. I'd honestly rather she were a main character in 3 X-men books than be given her own solo title, which I don't agree would do anything to make her voice more consistent.

2.) Again, that seems less likely to happen if she stays within the context of the X-men. At most she'd be as saturated as Cyclops has been in recent years, which honestly I wouldn't mind.

3.) while I agree that there isn't really a flagship book like there used to be, if there is one at the moment, I'd be inclined to say it's Wood's. But then, I don't see Latour's version of the character being inconsistent with Wood's so much as focusing on another aspect of her personality, which is really the only reason to have her in more than one book anyway.

4.) maybe that's how that would work, but I actually doubt it personally.

abaldo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

YASSSSSS can't wait to get my hands on it!!! <3

Silver_Raven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I am so happy for this title because even as a massive Storm fan, i have not been very thrilled with how much she has been spread around so many X-books without any real impact or influence on the stories, just like before when she was Utoptian wallpaper. I don't even buy any of the books unless the art is good enough and even then I am don't feel we are getting anything of real substance or depth. It's all superficial and superfluous.

This is why I am looking forward to Storm's solo book. We finally get the definitive Storm we have been lacking for so long. Her voice has been given more volume lately but she really doesn't have much to say, and even Brian Wood can't seem to stay true to the Storm he wrote that sounded so strong in his previous Adjectiveless run. The last issue of his book, proved how insecure and not in control Storm was.

So if Marvel is finally prepared to give Storm the space she needs to find herself again, and if need be reincarnate herself for a new generation, then that is what the X-books need. A new Storm that is confident, determined and self-sufficient, like she was in the Life-Death arc. Storm has been suppressed/oppressed for far too long. I hope this solo finally gives back her spirit.

tomasmaclgh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow, great analysis. I never read any Black Panther because I'm truly not interested in the character. Actually, the only 2 issues I have of Black Panther are from the Wild Kingdom crossover with the X-Men.

Having the Schism been between Storm and Cyclops would have had infinite more sense. Makes me truly wonder how things could be right now. How it could have played out.

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Storm will shine bright like a diamond in the sky. : )

poisonfleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@stormrocksthexmen said:

@oldnightcrawler:

1. I agree that she can't be ubiquitous in all of the X-Men titles. I would give her the solo and maybe 1 general X-men title. (I don't know if it should be X-Men or Wolverine & the X-Men. I would pull her from Amazing even though I really like the book).
    2. I am not sure if we are going to end up with her in a Wolverine type situation where she is oversaturated.
    3. I don't know if I could say having her central story in the X-Men would be better, though. I think the problem we have is that there are too many X-Men books. There isn't a "flagship" X-Men book like we had back in the old days. Both Wood and Latour are giving us good versions of Storm, but they don't necessarily jive with each other's versions. Wood's has her insecure and unsure of her mandate and Latour is giving us a very decisive version.
    4. I think (and by think I mean hope and pray) that having a solo would clarify the character's voice and if she is featured in other books, those writers would follow the lead of the writer of the solo to present a consistent version of Storm.

1.) To me, Storm never seems out of place in an X-men story, and that's where her best stories have always been. I'd honestly rather she were a main character in 3 X-men books than be given her own solo title, which I don't agree would do anything to make her voice more consistent.

2.) Again, that seems less likely to happen if she stays within the context of the X-men. At most she'd be as saturated as Cyclops has been in recent years, which honestly I wouldn't mind.

3.) while I agree that there isn't really a flagship book like there used to be, if there is one at the moment, I'd be inclined to say it's Wood's. But then, I don't see Latour's version of the character being inconsistent with Wood's so much as focusing on another aspect of her personality, which is really the only reason to have her in more than one book anyway.

4.) maybe that's how that would work, but I actually doubt it personally.

Huugggghhh-- Okay, guys..
    1)I see what you guys are saying about her inconsistent voice, because it does rock 2 extremes. BUUUUT The way I rationalize it, is when Strom is around Wolverine and the children (role of Headmistress) her maternal instincts kick in and she doesn't mess around. But when she is among her piers: Rachel, Kitty, and Rogue... It's her coming on in taking leadership, when frankly Rachel has been at the Jean Grey school longer than Storm has. So Storm may not want to step on anyone's toes since she is just settled into the Jean Grey school pretty recently after playing for the wrong team. So it make sense-- Although I prefer Wood's version of Storm so far.

2)And If Storm becomes the next Cyclops' (Matt fraction's run) or even the next Wolverine I am perfectly fine with that-- All the damage done to her after the marriage needs to be repaired.

3) XX-men maybe Storm's flagship title-- BUT 1) She used to be showcased more back in the earlier arcs with Wood. 2) Many people say it's Jubilee's book and not Storm's. 3) Wolverine and the X-men has only had a few issues and it's capitalizing on Ororo more than XX-men. So, a solo wouldn't hurt but only provide more preservative. Besides, Storm has SOOO many untapped stories it's not even funny. I'm ready for it.

GrenadeFlow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By GrenadeFlow

@arturocalakayvee said:

@poisonfleur said:

Who is deserving?

Storm- Yes

Nightcrawler- Yes

Gambit- Yes

Hawkeye- Yes

Black Widow- Yes

Elektra- Yes

Doop- NO

Cyclops- No

Nova- No

Moon Knight- No

What do you guys think?

Exactly Moon Knight and Carol are solo character Storm is a team character

Her book won't reach 12 issues

Storm fans always belittle other character in order to make her look good its lame

Avatar image for moonlighterstone
    Moonlighterstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mn_logan said:

Good god, how many solo titles do we honestly need? I'm not saying that Storm doesn't deserve it but this is starting to get ridiculous.

This.

It seem that Marvel is starting to split the X team.

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm just glad Storm will be getting one. It's long way overdue.

Avatar image for v_scarlotte_rose
    V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#42  Edited By V_Scarlotte_Rose

Does this count as calling it?:

No Caption Provided

If so, called it! :)

Glad there's another female solo title at Marvel, but kind of disappointed that it's Storm that got it.

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Huugggghhh-- Okay, guys..

1)I see what you guys are saying about her inconsistent voice, because it does rock 2 extremes. BUUUUT The way I rationalize it, is when Strom is around Wolverine and the children (role of Headmistress) her maternal instincts kick in and she doesn't mess around. But when she is among her piers: Rachel, Kitty, and Rogue... It's her coming on in taking leadership, when frankly Rachel has been at the Jean Grey school longer than Storm has. So Storm may not want to step on anyone's toes since she is just settled into the Jean Grey school pretty recently after playing for the wrong team. So it make sense-- Although I prefer Wood's version of Storm so far.

2)And If Storm becomes the next Cyclops' (Matt fraction's run) or even the next Wolverine I am perfectly fine with that-- All the damage done to her after the marriage needs to be repaired.

3) XX-men maybe Storm's flagship title-- BUT 1) She used to be showcased more back in the earlier arcs with Wood. 2) Many people say it's Jubilee's book and not Storm's. 3) Wolverine and the X-men has only had a few issues and it's capitalizing on Ororo more than XX-men. So, a solo wouldn't hurt but only provide more preservative. Besides, Storm has SOOO many untapped stories it's not even funny. I'm ready for it.

sorry, my notifications aren't working..

1.) yeah, I pretty much see it the same way. I also think it's funny that Wood makes a point to have Storm and Psylocke say they like his version better. Personally though, I like seeing both of these sides of her.

2.) mm, yeah. While I'd also like to see her be as central again as Wolverine/Cyclops/Emma have been in the last bunch of years, I don't really see her character as damaged so much as mostly absent or of little relevance to the overall story.

3.) For me, X-men is the flagship title at the moment, but

1. She was basically the main character of Wood's run. The rest of the team mostly just came and went around her as she tried to lead a team she wasn't really in control of. I'm really glad that run put her back at the center of the story again, but at this point I'd like to see her lead a team with a little more consistency that could really develop a solid group dynamic of it's own. Wood's characterization is mostly his strong suit, but he hasn't had a team that lasted more than one arc in either of his runs. Psylocke and Jubilee have added some continuity to the group, but Storm will never seem like the leader of the main team if the main team itself doesn't have a little more consistency.
    2. It can be both. So far it hasn't really been Jubilee's book much at all, but they're both great as main characters and work off each other well.
    3. Latour's doing a great job with Storm in my opinion; they could have called this book Storm and the X-men the way it's going.

I don't think a solo book could hurt Storm (unless it was just a really bad book), I just think it's unnecessary.

I do agree that Storm's a character with lots of story potential, I just don't see a side of her that's made more interesting by either not being with the X-men or somehow about her role as a leader, which in both cases seems like a story that could/should be told in the X-men books.

tomasmaclgh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

C2E2: " The panel then teased one more new "Women of Marvel" series that has not been announced yet, but as the character is a mutant, her book won't be announced until tomorrow's X-Men panel. "

[full article]

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 140

What the hell?!? Where's my 15 spider-man or wolverine title Marvel?!!!? F**k!!!!!!!!

AgeofHurricane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

Coulda woulda shoulda. When was the last time we received some Ororo introspection? When was the last time we actually got into the mind of the character and witnessed the inner turmoil as we would in an age of comics long since passed? When was the last time she actually developed as a character within this narrative, passed the pseudo-deviant leader in light of the Scott/Logan coonflict?

The character we see now is not who Ororo Munroe is. This woman is a shadow. A facet. A measly facsimile of the woman she once was.

A solo is what she needs because the the writers who've shared usage of her in their respective titles are unable to do any of these things nor will they even attempt to. Wood's been meandering on prosaic hooks for the past 13 issues while Latour's focusing on Quentin's woe is me charade rather than the JGS's school aspect in relation to Ororo's role as a headteacher, the fact that he has focused on her notwithstanding. But it's been three issues and we've had a couple lightning strikes here and there and some hearty talks. That barely scratches the surface. A lot of stories can be told within the current narrative, but the writers who are handling the narrative are precluding development from happening. So when a solo comes, well...

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Coulda woulda shoulda. When was the last time we received some Ororo introspection? When was the last time we actually got into the mind of the character and witnessed the inner turmoil as we would in an age of comics long since passed? When was the last time she actually developed as a character within this narrative, passed the pseudo-deviant leader in light of the Scott/Logan conflict?

I don't disagree with this sentiment, but I think you're oversimplifying.

At least if you're comparing any contemporary writers to Claremont (that's what you're doing, right?). For starters, Claremont employed a style that was extremely verbose and explanatory, full of inner monologues that went into far more situational detail than any actual person's would. Though he was wordy even for his time, this was largely a trope of the genre which, at the time, had to be as accessible as possible both to new and younger readers in any given issue.

Not that that's a bad thing, and I think he was great at it, but that's not the only measure of depth in a character. There's lots of other ways to express equally deep thoughts and emotions with fewer words or sometimes none at all. Because comics are art as well as literature, in some regards these other ways can be stronger, in that they leave specific interpretation more in the hands of the reader where the old ways left a lot less to the reader. Anyway, my point is that one style of characterization isn't necessarily any deeper or better in itself than another just because it's more literally descriptive.

A solo is what she needs because the the writers who've shared usage of her in their respective titles are unable to do any of these things nor will they even attempt to. Wood's been meandering on prosaic hooks for the past 13 issues while Latour's focusing on Quentin's woe is me charade rather than the JGS's school aspect in relation to Ororo's role as a headteacher, the fact that he has focused on her notwithstanding. But it's been three issues and we've had a couple lightning strikes here and there and some hearty talks. That barely scratches the surface. A lot of stories can be told within the current narrative, but the writers who are handling the narrative are precluding development from happening. So when a solo comes, well...

See, to my mind Wood hasn't really meandered any more than Claremont often did, he's just done so in a different, less literally descriptive style. To me his Storm is every bit as deep as Claremont's, save that he hasn't been writing her as long. And Latour's only had her for 3 issue of a story (she's not even the central character in) and I think he's done a good job too.

If you want to read a Storm solo series, if you actually think that will develop Storm any better than she already is being presented, then give it a shot. But I disagree that it's what the character needs based on the criticisms you present here.

poisonfleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I do believe if Storm's solo is anything in the realm of Pakk's previous successes... particularly Phoenix: Endsong. Ororo WILL be on top. Heck-- Marvel even admitted that she is a cash cow.

AgeofHurricane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#49  Edited By AgeofHurricane

@oldnightcrawler:

I don't disagree with this sentiment, but I think you're oversimplifying.

At least if you're comparing any contemporary writers to Claremont (that's what you're doing, right?). For starters, Claremont employed a style that was extremely verbose and explanatory, full of inner monologues that went into far more situational detail than any actual person's would. Though he was wordy even for his time, this was largely a trope of the genre which, at the time, had to be as accessible as possible both to new and younger readers in any given issue.

Not that that's a bad thing, and I think he was great at it, but that's not the only measure of depth in a character. There's lots of other ways to express equally deep thoughts and emotions with fewer words or sometimes none at all. Because comics are art as well as literature, in some regards these other ways can be stronger, in that they leave specific interpretation more in the hands of the reader where the old ways left a lot less to the reader. Anyway, my point is that one style of characterization isn't necessarily any deeper or better in itself than another just because it's more literally descriptive.

I'm not, being that i didn't mention Claremont, go figure, what i'm doing is highlighting a flaw that is the ultimate complicit crux within contemporary X-Stories and fundamentally the reason for why some fans may feel that the X-Men have lost their nuances and idiosyncratic charm that had them originally garner fans and acclaim from across the world as opposed to the dwindling market we have now: it's not the lack of words or description, it's the pure, evident and blithe lack of effort put into the description and the words--which somewhat digresses from the original argument, but then they're semantically intertwined anyways. Claremont had a variant scope of literary skills kept within his armory and utilized them anytime the narrative called for it. He knew when to overcompensate for the expositional amplification of meaning and knew when it was better to have the art speak for itself which gave way for, like you said, the reader drawing up their own conclusions and interpretations, as we should anytime art is concerned.

And yes, the strength of a weapon is measured by the person who wields it. In this context, an accretion of words page after page on said character means nothing if these words fail to convey emotion, pathos and response. If these words fail to resonate with the reader, then we're wasting time. If the case was that contemporary writers of X were utilizing the less is more axiom to its fullest capacity, then i wouldn't be up in arms, but clearly, they're not.

See, to my mind Wood hasn't really meandered any more than Claremont often did, he's just done so in a different, less literally descriptive style. To me his Storm is every bit as deep as Claremont's, save that he hasn't been writing her as long. And Latour's only had her for 3 issue of a story (she's not even the central character in) and I think he's done a good job too.

If you want to read a Storm solo series, if you actually think that will develop Storm any better than she already is being presented, then give it a shot. But I disagree that it's what the character needs based on the criticisms you present here.

I'd love to have a looksee into your mind then, because comparatively speaking in under thirteen issues Claremont had affirmatively faced the ANAD team against a plethora of villains of which we'd not see the last from, he'd established character dynamics and had lain the seeds for plots that'd germinate into some of the best X-Stories in the lore. What's Wood done that'd truly have a long-lasting impact in under thirteen issues? How has he truly developed these characters in under thirteen issues? What's the purpose of this title after thirteen issues? ??? Claremont's use of purple prose to decorate the obvious quirks can be overlooked when the substance that we're given in the mean time has some sort of impact and development Having only three issues and not being central to the "story" is besides the matter. You have characters: use them, develop them, progress them, weave the narrative around them. For Pete's sake--do something with them in those 20-21 pages. Don't just pacify the fans with some after-thoughtesque pages/panels here and there.

And if you think that Storm's actually being developed then that's good on you, but i'm not as easily pleased. Why settle for collateral leftovers when you can get the main course?

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Any news or revelations yet?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.