Follow

X-Men

Team » X-Men appears in 13417 issues.

The X-Men are a superhero team of mutants founded by Professor Charles Xavier. They are dedicated to helping fellow mutants and sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them.

new powers

darthphoenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By darthphoenix

It is said that the phoenix force altered some of the mutants' powers. anyone who have details on this?

Veitha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Veitha

No one knows nothing

AgeofHurricane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#3  Edited By AgeofHurricane

Unlettered preview page from issue 3 of ANXM.

No Caption Provided

WTF is that ?

Veitha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Veitha

@AgeofHurricane said:

No Caption Provided

WTF is that ?

OH GOD

JonSmith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By JonSmith

@AgeofHurricane said:

No Caption Provided

WTF is that ?

Looks like the Phoenix Force amped up Scott's connection to whatever dimension those blasts of his come from.

Veitha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Veitha

@JonSmith said:

@AgeofHurricane said:

No Caption Provided

WTF is that ?

Looks like the Phoenix Force amped up Scott's connection to whatever dimension those blasts of his come from.

Superman should better watch his back

chiq

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By chiq

Is Scott the only one getting an upgrade or are all the P5 are getting upgrades as well? If they are i wonder if Scott getting the biggest upgrade since he held the PF for the longest time.

imperial90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By imperial90

Marvel's said all of them are getting something thanks to the Phoenix, as to what? Well, we don't know yet, other then for Cyke who's gotten his powers to go all wonky and apparently far more explodey then before lol

slimlim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By slimlim

So first they change the way Havok's power looks and works in the First Class movie to force a more visual connection to Cyclops.

And now they seem to be changing Cyclop's power to look like First Class Havok's???

I'm curious to see how his new power actually works now. Is it a power upgrade or something a little more than that...

Also, will be interested to see how its affected the other P5.

Madame_Mist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Madame_Mist

So is this the reason he wears the new wonky visor?

slimlim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By slimlim

@Madame_Mist: I guess so. I think i remember reading somwhere that Bachalo was tasked to redesign the costume based on his change in powers

Gritterr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Gritterr

@slimlim said:

So first they change the way Havok's power looks and works in the First Class movie to force a more visual connection to Cyclops.

And now they seem to be changing Cyclop's power to look like First Class Havok's???

I'm curious to see how his new power actually works now. Is it a power upgrade or something a little more than that...

Also, will be interested to see how its affected the other P5.

Why would marvel change anything to synch up with a movie franchise they have no involvement in? That said I do agree the powers between movie havok and comic cyclops do look similar

Blacharrt1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Blacharrt1

Did anyone else noticed how Magneto seems to be flying though the air like the rest of the debris, that must have been one Heck of a shockware.

evilvegeta74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By evilvegeta74

Also notice there is part of that scan missing that shows Magneto loosing control of his power which started the incident. Now make a judgement.

evilvegeta74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By evilvegeta74

Maybe Cyke can enhance powers.

McKlayn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#16  Edited By McKlayn

@evilvegeta74 said:

No more like Drain powers, it almost looks like the is draining the magnetic force from magneto and then all of of a sudden his blast go crazy, so maybe he gets stronger with more mutants to drain from or something idk but it has me intrigued

SoA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#17  Edited By SoA

MEGA OPTIC BLAST!!!

Mooty_Pass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Mooty_Pass

Oh very nice Go Scott :)

papad1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

#19  Edited By papad1992

It reminds me of an upgraded version of Darkseid!

darthphoenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By darthphoenix

ok, who's up for AVX2? Hahaha

McKlayn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#21  Edited By McKlayn

@darthphoenix said:

ok, who's up for AVX2? Hahaha

prefer to keep my avengers and x men separate from now on :D, let us tread off in our new direction and they continue stealing everything the X men have done already :-p

slimlim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By slimlim

@Gritterr: marvel may have no involvement, but how well the films do still affect sales of the comics. its probably no coincidence Grant Morrison's X-Men all leather look was at least partly influenced by the warm reception of the first X-Film.

@McKlayn said:

@evilvegeta74 said:

No more like Drain powers, it almost looks like the is draining the magnetic force from magneto and then all of of a sudden his blast go crazy, so maybe he gets stronger with more mutants to drain from or something idk but it has me intrigued

At first i thought they made a mistake and Magneto's powers were perhaps altering as well. But since he wasn't part of the P5 that shouldnt be happening. Cyke's change in power affecting other mutants around him seems interesting. but that'll really screw with him leading in combat situations. im intrigued to say the least.

i must say ANXM is shaping up nicely for me. I thought i'd prefer Uncanny Avengers as its the last X-related Remender book...

Rickbarry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Rickbarry

I've no idea, but I hope they're not lame power upgrades. I can't say I understand how most of their powers could be made better. Illyana can pretty much teleport an unlimited number of people anywhere. Cyclops can blast pretty much anyone out of the way if he wants. Emma is top tier in the telepath field and has the diamond form. Namor has epic confidence and winged feet. Colossus is a top tier brick.

Yeah. I've no idea what's going to happen.

Avatar image for hopesummersforthefuture
    HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Veitha said:

@JonSmith said:

@AgeofHurricane said:

No Caption Provided

WTF is that ?

Superman should better watch his back

it looks like scott cant control is power and it looks like his in alot of pain

GonnaRain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By GonnaRain

It really looks like Cyke is altering Erik's power in some way, maybe even absorbing them? Could it be that he is now also able to absorb nearby energy, kind of like his brothers?

Onemoreposter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#26  Edited By Onemoreposter

What the hell is wrong with Magneto? Man, the master of magnetism needs a good writer. It's like everyone's forgotten he's one the most powerful individuals on the planet. He can pull asteroids to earth and raise cities into orbit. He's stood up to the goddamn Phoenix Force for crying out loud. Is it too much to ask to see him kick a little arse?

Thunderscream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#27  Edited By Thunderscream

Fudge, didn't realize someone had already posted about this, I did the same on the P5 forum just now.

Avatar image for illyanarasputin
    IllyanaRasputin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#28  Edited By IllyanaRasputin

I'm pretty sure Emma got a telepathy power up too. I mean she's able to find mutants around the world before Rachel (while she uses cerebra at the Jean Grey School), so I'm assuming that she's now going to be the most powerful telepath in the world. you go girl.

AgeofHurricane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#29  Edited By AgeofHurricane

@Thunderscream: That's perfectly fine.

GonnaRain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By GonnaRain

@IllyanaRasputin said:

I'm pretty sure Emma got a telepathy power up too. I mean she's able to find mutants around the world before Rachel (while she uses cerebra at the Jean Grey School), so I'm assuming that she's now going to be the most powerful telepath in the world. you go girl.

That would be pretty awesome.

Rooting for that outcome.

Avatar image for phoenixofthetides
    PhoenixoftheTides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It kind of looks like Cyclops' blast was following the lines of magnetic force Erik was altering. Cyclops used to have the ability to use angles to bounce his optic blasts around environments to take out multiple targets. It almost looks as if other mutants or Cyke himself can tap into his powers to directly take out threats with his straight-forward optic blast. That said, I don't see anything necessarily exciting about it, but it looked interesting.

slimlim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By slimlim

Whatever the power "upgrade" it seems to be powerful (or at least volatile) enough at this stage to warrant a new design to his visor. Unless a page or two are missing from that preview, it seems like his visor and even part of his costume's hood have been taken clean off! guess we'll all find out soon enough

Veitha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Veitha

No new powers guys!!! Their mutantions have been broken instead, except for Magik, that now is much stronger than before! But the others have lost control over their powers... Emma can't even use her telepathy!

PhoenixoftheTides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Veitha said:

No new powers guys!!! Their mutantions have been broken instead, except for Magik, that now is much stronger than before! But the others have lost control over their powers... Emma can't even use her telepathy!

I don't see any point in this change from a story-telling standpoint; but I've about given up on trying to get excited for Marvel NOW! De-powering or making powers inconsistent rarely offers any new story-telling angles that justify it - we've seen it done twice with Polaris now (she really can't catch a break), a few X-Men after M Day, Rogue and Wanda have both been through this, and etc. I think the only time it worked out was with Storm's Mohawk run. I'm trying to get excited for this series because I've been an X-Men fan for years, but its' becoming one of those uphill battles lol.

Magik was already one of the most powerful teleporters due to the time/space bending properties of her disc/portals. Would you mind cluing me in on what the biggest change to Magiks' powers seems to be?

Did Colossus lose his powers, as well?

Avatar image for illyanarasputin
    IllyanaRasputin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#35  Edited By IllyanaRasputin

@PhoenixoftheTides: We don't know anything about Colossus, Magik's keeping her distance from him even though Cyclops wants him on the team. As for Magik she can now conjure energies from the limbo dimension on Earth and she knows she has more power coming to her.

thegrimreaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By thegrimreaper

magik is the one with the cool swird right

PhoenixoftheTides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@IllyanaRasputin said:

@PhoenixoftheTides: We don't know anything about Colossus, Magik's keeping her distance from him even though Cyclops wants him on the team. As for Magik she can now conjure energies from the limbo dimension on Earth and she knows she has more power coming to her.

That's pretty cool. She's been my favorite New Mutant for years, and I think the lack of ability to bring her powerset from Limbo was a big limiting factor that held her back without making much sense. I think she was bound to grow out of it, but I just think it's unfortunate that her power evolution is tied to being a member of the P5 just because the Recon or Nerf Factor is high with anything related to AVX.

Rickbarry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Rickbarry

@PhoenixoftheTides: @IllyanaRasputin: I read the issue again. I'm not sure if Colossus would actually kill Cyclops considering how emotional he was before Illyana's betrayal. I think that's Illyana's way of putting herself between the two. If Colossus actually told Cyclops what happened between the two he'd slap that collar around her neck again.

chasereis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By chasereis

Oh the irony. Originally solar exposure fueled cyke's optic blasts. Now he drains the powers of the mutants around him. he takes the power of mutants he was trying to create or save. Irony...or poetic justice?

PhoenixoftheTides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@chasereis said:

Oh the irony. Originally solar exposure fueled cyke's optic blasts. Now he drains the powers of the mutants around him. he takes the power of mutants he was trying to create or save. Irony...or poetic justice?

Well, it certainly makes him a more lethal opponent against other mutants, so I will weigh in on the ironic side. Being able to drain the energy of a mutant you are fighting to increase the power of his optic blast may make him even better at OHKO-ing mutant threats than before - kind of funny because that makes him an opponent that a non-mutant superhuman would need to fight. But, I'm still not sure if this is an increase in power level or just a change in how it operates. Can he open his eyes now to see when there are no mutants around or is the power conversion still automatic? Does this only work with energy-wielders or could he conceivably drain Wolverine's regenerative powers to kill him once and for all?

chasereis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By chasereis

@PhoenixoftheTides: Oh I agree completely. Cyke would definitely be be more lethal, maybe a new secondary mutation (as much as I loathe those)? Well clearly he cannot control it, as has a new (stronger?) visor to control his powers. Maybe The Right will slap a power controlling belt on him, lol.

Also something that strikes me is the Havok "rings" he has in the blasts. What is that?

Blacharrt1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Blacharrt1

@Onemoreposter said:

What the hell is wrong with Magneto? Man, the master of magnetism needs a good writer. It's like everyone's forgotten he's one the most powerful individuals on the planet. He can pull asteroids to earth and raise cities into orbit. He's stood up to the goddamn Phoenix Force for crying out loud. Is it too much to ask to see him kick a little arse?

To be fair Magneto is really old, he should be well over 100, but i think they deaged him abit but still, he's really old.

Tommy_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Tommy_X

@chasereis said:

Well there was no indication about anything like this in the issue. Cyclops' powers are now out of control and uncontrollable because he wielded the PF and Magneto's powers are inconsistent because he got blasted with PF couple times (don't ask how that works since it's never happened to anyone who has gotten blasted by it before

@IllyanaRasputin

And to think that their secret to finding new mutants so fast isn't any power upgrade but simply the fact that they've got iPad...

slimlim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By slimlim

@Tommy_X said:

@chasereis said:

Well there was no indication about anything like this in the issue. Cyclops' powers are now out of control and uncontrollable because he wielded the PF and Magneto's powers are inconsistent because he got blasted with PF couple times (don't ask how that works since it's never happened to anyone who has gotten blasted by it before

@IllyanaRasputin

And to think that their secret to finding new mutants so fast isn't any power upgrade but simply the fact that they've got iPad...

Well, i think the characters in question are as much in the dark about the "whys" of their change in powers. so i wouldn't say that magneto was affected by being "blasted with PF". i would think that its all speculation on their part right now.

Absorption of other mutant's powers to fuel his own is as a good a guess as to whats going on with Cyclops.

i wouldn't take what was mentioned in #3 as the final word just yet.

As for their powers being "broken" instead of upgraded? i disagree with that as well. could be that they just havent adapted or come to understand their changed abilities yet.

GonnaRain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By GonnaRain

I really don't like this at all, making them lose control of their powers seems like a cheap way for the Original 5 to have a better chance at fighting and even defeating them.

I really hope it doesn't take much time to repair their powers, because, at least for me, it would be something really boring to read about. I pray it's all fixed by the start of Uncanny X-Men.

chasereis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By chasereis

@Tommy_X: True, no one said actually anything about it except referring to it being out of control. Actually I believe Magneto has tussled with Phoenix energy before if I remember correctly and with no ill effects post fight.

@slimlim: I was making a prediction based on the available information, but you gotta admit it would really expose the depths in which cyclops has fallen to and sickly ironic. Maybe that is why emma has no powers no as well. Totally (but reasonably) guessing

Veitha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Veitha

The Queen without telepathy is not the Queen

PhoenixoftheTides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Onemoreposter said:

It doesn't look like anything is wrong with Magneto. From what it looks like to me, Cyclops did something to Magneto's energy output and warped it somehow. But we'll see if Marvel decides to tweak their powers or update them for no reason.

chasereis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By chasereis

@PhoenixoftheTides: Thats what I gathered from it too. Cyke did ...something to mags.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.