Follow

X-Men

Team » X-Men appears in 13419 issues.

The X-Men are a superhero team of mutants founded by Professor Charles Xavier. They are dedicated to helping fellow mutants and sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them.

New Mutants vs. Generation X

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

Ok so im feeling a little nostalgic today and looking forward to reading a good knowledgeable discussion thread... So here's a topic.

Which was better in comparison, Generation X or New mutants? In terms of character development, stories, premise, powers, long-term implications on the mutant world etc.

Which Generation X stories are the best/most memorable, movie-worthy, if you had to read one story to get the feel/tone of the series etc?

Which New Mutants stories are the best/most memorable, movie-worthy, if you had to read one story to get the feel/tone of the series etc?

Which series do you want to see return the most?

Your thoughts......

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By Koays

Hmmm

Long term implication wise i think New Mutants trumps Gen X. I mean, around 2004 when all the X-Men characters(even some baddies) were living at the mansion, the New Mutants that came back seemed to hold alot more importance with their appearances. Mostly i think because they were treated as Xavier's students returning home as opposed to characters just being folded into a book like Gen X was.

And honestly I think that while Gen X was good the cast just hasn't stood the test of time, while the New Mutants have had 3 to 4 resurgences into the main X-Men team and been given a lot more responsibility. Most of the Gen X cast sort of moved on and didn't really reference their plots and moments again ( i mean has that one guy that died on the X-Men's lawn ever been referenced again).

I don't think Gen X could've even made it back to another book that explored the older team like New Mutants did....so yea New Mutants was better off of impact alone.

As for note worthy stories....

Gen X had a lot of drama, but i can't say any of it was movie worthy because of the continuing narrative of the plots. Much more of a hit Thursday night tv show. Though i'd say the first few 9 or so issues might get you ready for what you'll see.

New Mutants... is harder to nail down because of how off the wall some of there adventures could be. I'd say that anything with the X-Men shouldn't be included, but some of the New Mutants best stuff was what they did on their own during crossovers.... I'd say combining some of their early recruitment issues with say the death of Cypher would make a great movie. Though Fall of the New Mutants may be the best just to get a feel for the heavier aspects of the team.(despite how late in the run it is)

But yea to see one come back....it'd be New Mutants.

Dani is a deep character and respected leader, and alongside Cannonball and Illyana they've got more then enough development to run a book alone. The others would just be icing on the cake, though i'd add Wolfsbane to the cast since she's often forgotten.

Avatar image for hopesummersforthefuture
    HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gen X is better and new mutants is way boring even kitty didnt want to join new mutants and called them x-babies

TronHammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 48

The New Mutant characters had much better powers. Their powers were well defined. Their powers were actually quite powerful.

Generation X characters had poorly defined powers. What powers they had were basically jokes.

Selina_Sublime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Demon Bear Saga > Emplate Saga

New Mutants as a whole > Generation X as a whole

but...

Monet/Chamber/Jubilee >>>>>>> any of the New Mutants characters

Truth is, I think New Mutants paved the way for some diverse characters and generally had better stories, but I don't think they really stand out next to the three Gen Xers I list above.

Avatar image for phoenixofthetides
    PhoenixoftheTides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Which Generation X stories are the best/most memorable, movie-worthy, if you had to read one story to get the feel/tone of the series etc?

• Generation NeXt (AoA) & The Phalanx Covenant. The other stories just blend in together.

Which New Mutants stories are the best/most memorable, movie-worthy, if you had to read one story to get the feel/tone of the series etc?

• The Demon Bear Saga and the 1st Legion Saga (that was pretty epic IMHO, and could easily make a great movie made in the "First Class" style):

The New Mutants (doesn't have to be the old cast). In fact, I think it's time that the survivors of the New Mutants and Generation X merge and become the X-Men with newer characters that we think have potential, such as Quentin, the Cuckoos, etc. becoming the NeXt Generation of New Mutants.

Night4345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Which was better in comparison, Generation X or New mutants? In terms of character development, stories, premise, powers, long-term implications on the mutant world etc.

New Mutants due to being around longer and having several iterations. They're also closer tied to the mutant world due to being a part of the X-Men.

DefinitelyPhalanx Covenant

Legion or Demon Bear

I think the members of Gen X have changed too much whether through power and character changes (several of them have died) to come back together.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

lol......New Mutants in a no contest.

While generation X looked better on paper it was simply Scott Lobdell trying to take weird, forgotten concepts floating around the X-universe, like the fairy folk of Cassidy Keep, Gateway, the Technarchy, Nanny and Orphan Maker and trying to utilize them.

Generation X is one of those books that just evokes nostalgia among fans I believe, if you actually go back and read it.....it wasn't that good. New Mutants on the other hand was great arguably up until Simonson started writing it. All the New Mutants characters had much different, distinct personalities and goals, they all had their own sets of villains, the had more peripheral powers and much more intriguing stories. Magik slowly slipping into her Darkchylde persona, Sunspot's potential to one day join the Hellfire Club, Cyphers imminent bonding to to the Technarchy, Danis connection to the Demon Bear.....storytelling at its finest.

Gen X is better and new mutants is way boring even kitty didnt want to join new mutants and called them x-babies

Never read New Mutants, huh??

Kitty called them X-babies only because she was angry and thought herself an X-Man. She had very close relationships with both Illyana and Doug Ramsey.

Avatar image for oldnightcrawler
    oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

but... Monet/Chamber/Jubilee >>>>>>> any of the New Mutants characters

Truth is, I think New Mutants paved the way for some diverse characters and generally had better stories, but I don't think they really stand out next to the three Gen Xers I list above.

I sort of agree with this. I do think that The New Mutantsas a group were more interesting and had better stories than Generation X, but I also feel that characters like Jubilee, M, and even Chamber still felt more singular and distinct outside of their group dynamic than most of the original New Mutants did.

That said, if I were to include characters like Magik or Warlock, who are both pretty singular in any context, I think it's a pretty even split.

Maybe because of that, I'd personally be more interested in seeing the New Mutants get their own book again over Gen.X, simply because I feel like most of those characters' strengths really come through more in the context of their relationships within the group, while Jubilee, M, and Chamber all have the potential to be more interesting in other contexts than Gen.X ever was.

Drizzle1030

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This type of question sounds like a timeline vs another timeline... im guessing new mutants came out in the 80s and Generation X came out in the 90s.. I personally grew up with Gen X so of course its my fave.. they had that fox movie.. I read back issues of xmen to run across New Mutants, and I like them too I liked magik. The xmen babied New mutants, and Emma babied Gen X.. New mutants hated being treated inferior to xmen, while gen x was hoping to even make it to xmen level.. so it all depends on what u liked more or characters

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By adamTRMM

To be honest, never found either that interesting. Of course, some of them are good characters and all, but still pretty insignificant as teams. In their difference, I do admire them NOT being Kids Nomatter-what-super-hero-name-right-here (and keeping that standard for generations to come next), AKA lazy and unimaginative imitations like Teen Titans and Young Avengers. Meh

But respecting continuity, I do want Cannonball and Dani taking over the X-men one day, and some of them as full time X-men as well.

ultimatekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

lol......New Mutants in a no contest.

While generation X looked better on paper it was simply Scott Lobdell trying to take weird, forgotten concepts floating around the X-universe, like the fairy folk of Cassidy Keep, Gateway, the Technarchy, Nanny and Orphan Maker and trying to utilize them.

Generation X is one of those books that just evokes nostalgia among fans I believe, if you actually go back and read it.....it wasn't that good. New Mutants on the other hand was great arguably up until Simonson started writing it. All the New Mutants characters had much different, distinct personalities and goals, they all had their own sets of villains, the had more peripheral powers and much more intriguing stories. Magik slowly slipping into her Darkchylde persona, Sunspot's potential to one day join the Hellfire Club, Cyphers imminent bonding to to the Technarchy, Danis connection to the Demon Bear.....storytelling at its finest.

@hopesummersforthefuture said:

Never read New Mutants, huh??

Kitty called them X-babies only because she was angry and thought herself an X-Man. She had very close relationships with both Illyana and Doug Ramsey.

She was also close with Karma, well not during New Mutants series, but during the time when they were not X-Men. During the Mekanix limited series.

darthphoenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

New Mutants! I love their powers. Powerwise, i think they'd win over gen x. i hate skin and mondo

McKlayn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#14  Edited By McKlayn

Ok i will be the Solo guy here

Generation X was better period.

As far as New Mutants go the only person i ever cared for was cannonball (now he is in my top 5 or so x men ever but still) And i seem to like him better outside the group dynamic, i would love to see him shine as leader of anew team who didnt see him as "the hill billy sam who just cant get it done) which seems to be what they thought of him thus why Dani was always leader or atleast co leader

Generation X i think was killed due to writers after that, the powers imo were more gritty and interesting. they showed the downfall of mutant powers (similar to how Morrison did) only they seemed to make them more combat ready and intersting then morrisons run imo. Even skin whose power was disgusting and would suck ass learned to use it in combat, and imo was a cool character. Chamber whose entire chest got blow off, man that sucks right? Then people like penanace you never really got to understand. New mutants lasted longer and have more affect on today's X men simply because they were written by Chris Claremont and when he left them he used his other characters (such as cannonball) and mentioned his stuff in other main X men titles (he also wrote both new mutants and x men at once)

while Lobdell and whoever took over the book after him, didn't have claremonts swag in the X verse (and i think lobdell was gone by the time teh series was over) and the writers who came after just didn't care about those characters when they could write Cyclops, Wolverines ect.

Also keep in Mind imo the Best Emma Frost ever, was the Gen X emma.

Generation X is alot like what i am afraid will happpen to the new X men and lights of alot more recent history. THey were a nice story that was told and had some good characters, but once the original writer was gone the ones after wanted to do thier own thing, and that doesnt include underdeveloped characters, they want stars.

So yea My 3 cents

GO GEN X!

No Caption Provided

devilsgrin81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

but...

Monet/Chamber/Jubilee >>>>>>> any of the New Mutants characters

this is how i feel too... altho, Magik may dominate ALL the Gen X and NM characters. Emplate was a great villain tho. it just became a little too overly complicated with Penance and Monet and the twins and M... it was a mess.

devilsgrin81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mcklayn: I thought Gen X was also the emergence of Emma as we know and love her. The best teacher a mutant would ever have... the worst enemy their foes could face.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mcklayn said:

As far as New Mutants go the only person i ever cared for was cannonball (now he is in my top 5 or so x men ever but still) And i seem to like him better outside the group dynamic, i would love to see him shine as leader of anew team who didnt see him as "the hill billy sam who just cant get it done) which seems to be what they thought of him thus why Dani was always leader or atleast co leader

Generation X i think was killed due to writers after that, the powers imo were more gritty and interesting. they showed the downfall of mutant powers (similar to how Morrison did) only they seemed to make them more combat ready and intersting then morrisons run imo. Even skin whose power was disgusting and would suck ass learned to use it in combat, and imo was a cool character. Chamber whose entire chest got blow off, man that sucks right? Then people like penanace you never really got to understand. New mutants lasted longer and have more affect on today's X men simply because they were written by Chris Claremont and when he left them he used his other characters (such as cannonball) and mentioned his stuff in other main X men titles (he also wrote both new mutants and x men at once)

while Lobdell and whoever took over the book after him, didn't have claremonts swag in the X verse (and i think lobdell was gone by the time teh series was over) and the writers who came after just didn't care about those characters when they could write Cyclops, Wolverines ect.

Generation X is alot like what i am afraid will happpen to the new X men and lights of alot more recent history. THey were a nice story that was told and had some good characters, but once the original writer was gone the ones after wanted to do thier own thing, and that doesnt include underdeveloped characters, they want stars.

So yea My 3 cents

GO GEN X!

You are completely entitled to your opinion...and I am not trying to say yours is wrong....but Gen X was in no way better than New Mutants.

In fact, 80% of Gen Xs existence was really bad. Toward then end, it was written by Warren Ellis and had more gritty story arcs, but just wasn't really that good, and in the beginning Scott Lobdell and Chris Bachalo only did about 25 issues...the rest of the run was hammered into the ground by Larry Hama and then...Jay Faerber. I don't know if Hama or Faerber were instructed from up high to drive the book in a more kid friendly direction but I distinctly remember the teasers for the next months issue saying stuff like "Next Month: More Gen-X hijinx" Hijinx?? Hijinx!! It was like a Saturday morning cartoon show, and the Dodsons artwork didn't help it appear any more serious.

New Mutants had a similar de-evolution when Claremont left with Louise Siminson taking the book in a more kid friendly direction with artist Bret Blevins, although her run didn't drive the New Mutants into cancellation and some real good stories within.

McKlayn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

@mcklayn said:

So yea My 3 cents

GO GEN X!

You are completely entitled to your opinion...and I am not trying to say yours is wrong....but Gen X was in no way better than New Mutants.

In fact, 80% of Gen Xs existence was really bad. Toward then end, it was written by Warren Ellis and had more gritty story arcs, but just wasn't really that good, and in the beginning Scott Lobdell and Chris Bachalo only did about 25 issues...the rest of the run was hammered into the ground by Larry Hama and then...Jay Faerber. I don't know if Hama or Faerber were instructed from up high to drive the book in a more kid friendly direction but I distinctly remember the teasers for the next months issue saying stuff like "Next Month: More Gen-X hijinx" Hijinx?? Hijinx!! It was like a Saturday morning cartoon show, and the Dodsons artwork didn't help it appear any more serious.

New Mutants had a similar de-evolution when Claremont left with Louise Siminson taking the book in a more kid friendly direction with artist Bret Blevins, although her run didn't drive the New Mutants into cancellation and some real good stories within.

I agree it was more kid friendly ish, but at the same time i was a kid when i read them so they were still some of my favorite read and honestly i just loved the characters alot more then the new mutants, and yes the story written by ellis after the 6 month jump i didnt like at all :'( they killed synch fuckers

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By cattlebattle

@mcklayn said:

I agree it was more kid friendly ish, but at the same time i was a kid when i read them so they were still some of my favorite read and honestly i just loved the characters alot more then the new mutants, and yes the story written by ellis after the 6 month jump i didnt like at all :'( they killed synch fuckers

I will be the first to admit, when I was a teenager...I was a huge Generation X fan...the powers were a little more obscure, the fact that they didn't have the generic, chiseled, white male leader character, the Wolverine analogue character, the stereotypical "brick" character, even the name itself "Generation X" was cool. I also had thought The New Mutants always looked kind of boring and the characters looked kind of bland.

Then I got older and actually read the New Mutants. It's pretty easy to see why it outsold X-Men for a period of time, it was brilliant, as I mentioned in my post above, every character had a story arc complete with their own villains, they intertwined with the X-Men seamlessly, their powers were more peripheral leading into more interesting situations, the whole rival school thing they had going with the Hellions....even the Hellions themselves were all pretty interesting.

Sadly in Gen X, nobody was terribly that interesting, Chamber was sort of one dimensional, Jubilee was Jubilee, Synch was boring, Banshee was just there....the most interesting aspect of the whole book was the Monet mystery which was botched anyways. Lobdell had originally intended Monet to just be the two twin girls in a gestalt form......so, there really should be no Monet St. Croix, and Penance was supposed to be an actual character...and not just a "shell" or whatever she wound up being.

They should let Lobdell do a "Generation X Forever" and take the book where he originally intended it to go....if he even had an idea of where he wanted it to go...which I don't think he did.

Thats what my analysis is of Generation X in reflection. It seems like Lobdell and Bachalo got together and had these fun ideas of Emma Frost running another team of students who have unorthodox powers and aren't the cliched super hero team positions like "team leader" and team smart guy". However, nothing really interesting hatched from it, and Bachalos art really did the series justice in ways no one else could replicate. Right before they left, the book started to seem aimless....and felt even more so after they left.

Drizzle1030

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mcklayn: I loved Gen X Emma as well.. I liked the new one as well before the lost of her powers.. But gen X Emma was vicious.. kickin leech, frying Marrow and whatever brains, fighting her students to protect them from onslaught... having banshee kill her for the location of her students.. making deals with emplate..reading peoples mind without their permission.. I loved the love triangle between jubilee synch and M.. so hands down I love Gen X.. I didnt really read New mutants unlessed it involved the xmen, I did read the revamp new mutants thats where I realized I liked magik, but I remember a x book that the new mutants had to save them the dynamics were cool. Karma was dope, X force didnt resonate me, and they were the former New mutants, where reading Gen X and being a teenager at the same time did.. but its funny becuz gen xers were suppose to be next xmen and all I see is emma as the next, jubilees is a retarded vampire and M

ultimatekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Also, I don't know if it is me? But sometimes, does it seem like the junior teams of any superhero comic book are always either destined to become powerful than their superpowers or are already powerful than their superiors, but they do not know it yet. What I mean is that the New Mutants minus Wolfsbane and Warlock are very powerful beyond their years. Don't get me wrong, Wolfsbane's powers are interesting at least at that time and useful but not as powerful as the others.

Cannonball is an External or was supposed to be one. He defeated the gladiator in a one on one combat.

Sunspot is powerful as well: http://www.comicvine.com/sunspot/4005-4644/forums/can-sunspot-be-marvel-s-superman-1487755/#9.

Magma, I considered to be powerful because well, it was thought that she was the granddaughter of a goddess (Selene, but I do not know if that is true or not.) Also, in the X-Men Evolution cartoon, she can control volcanoes and manipulate them and so much more! That episode was interesting and made me like Magma more. And she can control the earth, fire, and lava. She can also cause earthquakes. And she can also fly. And heal herself by changing into her lava form and coming into contact with the ground.

Karma has always been said that her power is unique and powerful. Emma Frost said so. Charles Xavier said so. And her half sister, Dao even said so.

Mirage aka Dani Moonstar was powerful as well. Its too bad all that power was taken away from her. Just like that. She did have some pretty interesting powers though. From casting energy arrows that could stun a person's nervous system or make them relieve a traumatic memory. Limited reality warping. Able to bring someone's desire to reality. Empathic illusion casting based on desires or fears. Ability to understand animals.

Magik, OF COURSE!!!!!!! Don't need to explain anything.

Cypher, a lot of people considered him weak and the most useless in the team, but he became more interesting after he was resurrected in the Necrosha storyline. Everything around him a language and he understand everything. From food, streets, even reality. HE FREAKIN WARPED REALITY TO HIS IMAGE AND RULED THE WORLD IN THE NEW MUTANTS VOL 3. In the original new mutants and the current X-Universe, he was not all that useless and was a plot device and a key character in some stories. And also, he can fight using body language. I guess I could be one of the rare fans who actually liked Cypher. Him and Warlock's bromance was awesome!!!!!

Boom Boom, she can create time bombs that can destroy any type of object and even people. She can mentally quiet them during detonation. She can also focus her powers as streams of concussive force. Also, in the future, she can channel her powers into weapons like swords for example (Kind of like Shatterstar).

Warpath, HE IS VERY POWERFUL!!!!!!!!

Now, Generation X had some powerful mutants as well minus Maggot who was just plain weird. And Skin who was useful but his powers were weird but people liked him for his personality and backstory.

M aka Monet Yvette Clarisse Maria Therese St. Croix!!!!!!! No explanation, she is all around bad-ass. And on top of all that, she was considered a goddess by Amora the Enchantress!!!

Synch, was powerful as he could mimic a mutant's powers and perfected them in any way possible. Like he absorbed Chamber's powers and gain the ability to fly. Chamber did not have the ability to do that but had to use a device to do it.

Jubilee, again thanks to Scarlet Witch's reality warp, all of her powers were just taken away from her and she had great potential to become an Omega-level mutant. Now she is just a vampire. She had the chance to turn into a living, walking fusion bomb. And she was powerful but was to scared to explore it, according to Emma Frost. Heck, Emma even said that Jubilee was one of the most powerful mutants she has ever seen.

Husk, like her brother Cannonball is powerful as well. Can shapeshift to any substance and energy and her powers are visually cool. Too bad, it affected her psychologically, mentally, and emotionally. Along with it, came mood swings and emotional problems. Not only substances, but animals as well. Her "husking" is also her healing factor, which is cool as well.

Gaia, reality warping, telepathy, telekinesis, and empathy. And she was also a mutant from another dimension.

Last but not least, lets not forget Chamber, the walking pure psionic energy furnace, who also has the potential to become an omega-level mutant.

Well, those are all the members of the New Mutants and Generation X who I thought was powerful. However, the New Mutants were stted to be very powerful during their adolescents but they did not look like it. In the Young X-Men series, when the Young X-Men were in a training session, Cyclops (Donald Pierce) said something along the lines of that the New Mutants could already do this and that and were strong and powerful , and had great teamwork, by the time they were your age.

The New mutants had more powerful members

ultimatekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

bump................................................

What do you guys think about my above message?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.