Follow

X-Men

Team » X-Men appears in 13419 issues.

The X-Men are a superhero team of mutants founded by Professor Charles Xavier. They are dedicated to helping fellow mutants and sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them.

New Creative Teams For Uncanny, Extraordinary, All-New X-Men

• 123 results
    Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By Koays

@malachi_munroe: You know i actually like that image for Storm alot when i see it (which is why i know exactly which one your mentioning)....beside it's better then anything he did for Pixie.

No Caption Provided
    Malachi_Munroe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays: now what in the world?... One look at her and I immediately have a mental image of where this came from..

I hope he doesn't do this in the new title..

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@malachi_munroe: Lol the best part about that image is that she's actually being hit with a baseball bat.

But yea, idk...he improved alot as time went on during his X-Men go. But i really haven't seen much of him recently to really make a judgement.

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I still can't comprehend what was the motivation behind slapping all those chracters into Uncanny XM roster and why in hell it wouldn't be called X-force. Still so many questions about certain characters and I'm not even talking about the Alisters.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3
    deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@adamtrmm said:

I still can't comprehend what was the motivation behind slapping all those chracters into Uncanny XM roster and why in hell it wouldn't be called X-force. Still so many questions about certain characters and I'm not even talking about the Alisters.

The real reason is because Cullen Bunn loves to write villains/anti-heroes. That being said, some of the members make sense:

• Sabretooth's personality was completely reversed in the Axis event; he's a teddy bear now.
    • Magneto and Mystique have never been on an X-Force team; however, they've both been X-Men numerous times.
    • Psylocke was an X-Man waaaay before she ever joined X-Force.

I'll give you Fantomex -- that's an odd choice for Uncanny. I still wish they'd gone with Gambit.

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 10

#56 god_spawn  Moderator

I find the lack of Cyclops and Emma....creating a void in me.

Avatar image for oldnightcrawler
    oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

@koays said:

1. oh, I didn't say I was happy about it.. just that, between what I saw him do in Mighty Avengers and his most recent previews (and that the book feature's Magneto and Mystique having their own X-men) I am legitimately curious.

2. Uncanny' might not have any "major X-men members", but between Magneto and Mystique it still has two of the most major X-men characters. All-new doesn't even appear to have a telepath, which, to me, makes their team the least like the X-men and the most like a spin-off. Though, that feeling may be part of feeling like it has the least classic members, despite it's passing resemblance to the Stan Lee team..

But yeah, I feel you about Storm's team. To me, her squad was the real main team of the JGS, so it's a bit disappointing to see nothing of it remains, especially Rachel. Still, Extra-men has most of my favorites from the late 70's/early 80's team with a few intriguing twists and only one major character amiss. It might end up being a fine main team if handled well.

3. what hurdles do you mean?

Avatar image for deactivated-097092725
    deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I'm happy about Laura being in two books, I'm happy that Storm will still be in a leadership role and while I am missing my older Cyclops and Emma (amongst others posters above have already mentioned), I'm staying neutral since there isn't enough to go on yet. Soule taking over Daredevil is great (I am a sucker for his writing, especially since he's a lawyer), and I still get to keep Bennett and Hans with Angela's new ongoing. I am confused about Hawkeye being relaunched again, something about him being older and Kate being of the 1602 universe, but like I said, there really isn't much to go on.

I'm hoping the missing mutants will be placed in their own book (Terrigan mists poisoning, etc) and Thor's relaunch might be okay.

As for Land, better I stay quiet. His atrocious drawing of Spider-Woman for the first four books of her last ongoing is enough to convince me there is no hope for him.

Remender leaving Marvel is interesting, same with Gillen, who won't be co-writing with Bennet on Angela's book. I suppose they both recognise that to succeed in the industry, creator-owned is the way to do it. Good luck to the both of them.

mechem_93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

UXM should be called Uncanny Brotherhood or something. Sabretooth? Mystique? they've already went through a "good guys" phase and it didn't work. This team needs more actual heroes like Rogue or Polaris.

I don't see All New lasting much with that premise and creative team. Extraordinary is the only book that interest me at the moment.

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By adamTRMM

@sprior93:

Yeah that must be the only reason lol

My point was that these chracters pick seems to be completely arbitrary with no cohesion or much in common besides that said antihero shtick you mention.

Can I see Magneto working with Psylocke? Definetly. But Mystique and Sabertooth whom Magneto already tried to execute or Fantomex with whom Psylocke had to deal with not long ago? Hell Raven and Creed blatantly were at Betsy/Fanta throats during Remender and even killed Fanta and tried to nuke them all this very second Fanta died. Crazy stuff. I'm not even talking about inverted ST who is supposed to be the antithesis of his typical bloodlust and explore some zen approach lol

Now, mixing this with the fact that there is a sexual tension of the exes (obvious ones) and Magneto standing in between, I can't think of any other title than "the backstabbing Xmen, typical soap opera takes a bloodthirsty turn"

Avatar image for earthsmightiest
    EarthsMightiest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The new covers have been leaked.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays said:

1. oh, I didn't say I was happy about it.. just that, between what I saw him do in Mighty Avengers and his most recent previews (and that the book feature's Magneto and Mystique having their own X-men) I am legitimately curious.

2. Uncanny' might not have any "major X-men members", but between Magneto and Mystique it still has two of the most major X-men characters. All-new doesn't even appear to have a telepath, which, to me, makes their team the least like the X-men and the most like a spin-off. Though, that feeling may be part of feeling like it has the least classic members, despite it's passing resemblance to the Stan Lee team..

But yeah, I feel you about Storm's team. To me, her squad was the real main team of the JGS, so it's a bit disappointing to see nothing of it remains, especially Rachel. Still, Extra-men has most of my favorites from the late 70's/early 80's team with a few intriguing twists and only one major character amiss. It might end up being a fine main team if handled well.

3. what hurdles do you mean?

1.Well like i said, Land really does better with dark colors..which is what i expect alot of with this line up. And as much fun as it is to pick at him, we really do have to hold off since a more defined art style could be just what sends this book over the top. He's just gonna be under the microscope from issue one until he gains some confidence.

2. Well when I see Magneto, Mystique or Psylocke together i undoubtedly think X-Men...and there is a clear theme of "mutants who struggle to do good" on the team. I just felt like having even a B-list X-Man on the team would better highlight the darker side of those characters. But you wouldn't even half to do that if there were another high profile X-team to help provide contrast for this line up....a big failing of the previous Uncanny was that there wasn't any contrast between the rebels and the JGS X-Men do to a gap in quality.

Yea, seeing the team laid out in images gives me more confidence in them, but it's just not the crew that i'd have chosen. I mean maybe M. wasn't going to make a first round pick but seeing Jubilee continue her story in a new world order would interest me way more then anything Old Man Logan will do. And while i get that teen Jean's Mary Sue status in 40 issues of All New has built her up as a major player, Rachel's character contributes more to a team dynamic...though i guess they filled their "kid sidekick" and "uninformed outsider" roles with her. I'm sure this team will work well if the writing is there, but i'd have personally chosen to approach it with different characters.

3. Well basically what i just said about the Extra-Men having to build interest from scratch since aside from Teen Jean, none of them have any character momentum. Even Magik just hasn't done anything... To me that's a huge thing to have to overcome when you have to convince people to care about Iceman, Colossus, Nightcrawler and Storm...not because there not interesting or don't have fans but because they've been stagnant for a while.

Simililarly, the All New X-Men book has characters who for 40 (3 years worth) issues played backseat to Teen Jean. They didn't really have any plots and all of their issues were glossed over. And now the premise is that their going to try to fix the future...which is the same goal they had when they decided to stay in the present accept now their doing it without the character who defined herself the most in the previous run. To me even fans of All New may find trouble attaching to the characters without Jeen and the rest of us don't even see Kitty, Magik or anyone else to legitimize the squad of teenagers from the past..

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays:

1. agreed.

2. I think I know what you mean. I kinda feel like Psylocke's supposed to be the contrasting character, but if Sabertooth's still inverted, it may (also) come from him. I sort of feel like Colossus would have been the ideal candidate for what your talking about, but I'm pretty happy to see him in a central role on the main team again, so, it's hard for me to think of who might've worked better.

I kind of agree that Jubilee would have been a more interesting carry over for Storm's new team, not only for the kinds of interactions that could happen with OM Logan, but also as a neat connection that hasn't been explored with bringing Magik back into the fold. Basically, Jubilee has a history with all of these characters that could have really made her the glue. Even without removing any of this cast, the addition of Jubilee could really round it out (and maybe even add more to the idea of Jean being in the junior/sidekick role).

As for Rachel, while/because she is a personal favorite, it's hard for me not to notice that the way teen Jean's been written has a lot more in common with how Rachel was written in the 80's than how Jean herself was written in the 60's. It's not what I would've done, but it could still be cool.

3. I guess I'm not someone who needs to be convinced that Storm/Nightcrawler/Colossus/Iceman are among what's cool about the X-men -I'm just waiting for a writer to show me that they know why they're great. Magik seems like she'll bring a lot to this; I thought a lot more could have been done with her relationship with Cyclops than ever materialized, but (partially because of that) she actually seems like the most random/wildcard member of this group, which in itself is potentially compelling to me.

I totally agree with you about the new All-new book, though. As much as I loved Cyclops' solo book, without Jean (or Kitty or Magik, but Jean especially) this crew seems like it has only a shadow of it's former appeal, and kind of just feels like the random leftovers. If it really centers on Cyclops, I think it'll still have what it needs to be a great story, but as an X-men team it just feels half-hearted.

Chapmar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

No Scott, No Emma, No more revolution, No mention of any of the Uncanny X-men from Bendis' run, No Kitty, No Rachel Grey, No Gambit - no Interest in any of the titles here.

Magneto and his team are the only vaguely interesting team, but even that's stretching it as the only character I have any interest in there is Magneto. Dennis Hopeless makes me want to cry. I loved all new x-men with Bendis, loved every second. Now I won't even pick it up under hopeless. I don't actually think there are ANY books in this whole All New Marvel leak that I have even passing interest in. That's somewhat ridiculous.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@chapmar: How do Storm, Colossus, Magik, and Nightcrawler not interest you?

cajunpirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If Gambit were in a book, I'd get it, but that doesn't look like it's happening. Guess the Fox movie has left Gambit banned from the books.

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oldnightcrawler: We're still in the speculative period, so there's many ways that these things can go. But Psylocke just doesn't strike me as being the angel among devils on that squad especially given her difficulties...and really i have no interest in Sabretooth as a good guy, no matter how wasted he was as a D-list villain in recent years. I feel like we could do alot more with someone else on the team or maybe even just another character reacting to them (Dazzler maybe?).

I'm sure Magik is going to be essential to making this squad legitimate, but i'm not sure what kind of character she's going to be now that she's not playing confidant to Cyke since that was her closest thing to a defined role as something other then a wildcard in a while. I think what may actually contribute to this idea...is if this team has an established supporting cast of 3-4 X-Men (maybe not from the beginning but somewhere down the rode). That way the dynamic won't be entirely dependent on just the groups interactions themselves and can be helped along by things like Jubilee being thrown in the mix. Really just having Jubilee hanging around at their home base playing mother hen and chiming in on the teams issues would be cool enough for me to quit nitpicking.

I'll be honest and say that i just don't like Teen Jean. But that said i think it's a fair critique to say that she was given Rachel's personality (maybe unintentionallly) to make her more interesting....i mean you can almost copy Rachel's "Jean is dead" rage with Jean's "My family is dead" rage out. But it's just sad that Rachel goes back and forth between dealing with rage and vengeance issues and when she finally seems to have leveled out she gets replaced by a character still on page 1 of her development.

Idk if I'd say it was about needing to be convinced that Storm/Nightcrawler/Colssus/Iceman are interesting, it's just that if i was forming a roster Iceman would've been dropped for adult Cyke and either Colossus or Nightcrawler for Jubilee. Not because any of them aren't the ideal image for why someone should read the X-Men...but because as someone whose been reading the current X-Men books, they aren't the most interesting at the moment.

I was also thinking the same thing about Teen Cyke having to carry the team at the start...but seeing them driving around in that van kind of just made me think Runaways/Teen Titans/Young Avengers. Really anything but X-Men... which is troubling considering this is the book that should be exploring the history/intricacy of the X-Men world. (I just didn't think they'd be doing it in Scooby's Mystery Machine.)

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays said:

@oldnightcrawler: We're still in the speculative period, so there's many ways that these things can go. But Psylocke just doesn't strike me as being the angel among devils on that squad especially given her difficulties...and really i have no interest in Sabretooth as a good guy, no matter how wasted he was as a D-list villain in recent years. I feel like we could do alot more with someone else on the team or maybe even just another character reacting to them (Dazzler maybe?).

I see what you mean. Actually, I could see Dazzler working in that role, but not on the same team as Mystique..

I'm sure Magik is going to be essential to making this squad legitimate, but i'm not sure what kind of character she's going to be now that she's not playing confidant to Cyke since that was her closest thing to a defined role as something other then a wildcard in a while. I think what may actually contribute to this idea...is if this team has an established supporting cast of 3-4 X-Men (maybe not from the beginning but somewhere down the rode). That way the dynamic won't be entirely dependent on just the groups interactions themselves and can be helped along by things like Jubilee being thrown in the mix. Really just having Jubilee hanging around at their home base playing mother hen and chiming in on the teams issues would be cool enough for me to quit nitpicking.

agreed. As much as I like Jubilee, most of her strength as a character has been as a supporting character anyway.

Then again, we don't even know if this team is based out of the school. I mean, they should be, the main X-men team at least should have that as part of their premise.. but it could be that this is the team, and it's characters like Jubilee, Beast, and maybe even Rachel, who make up the supporting cast by watching over the school?

I'll be honest and say that i just don't like Teen Jean. But that said i think it's a fair critique to say that she was given Rachel's personality (maybe unintentionallly) to make her more interesting....i mean you can almost copy Rachel's "Jean is dead" rage with Jean's "My family is dead" rage out. But it's just sad that Rachel goes back and forth between dealing with rage and vengeance issues and when she finally seems to have leveled out she gets replaced by a character still on page 1 of her development.

I didn't mean it as a critique so much as an observation. It's not like it's unheard of for children to have similar personality traits to their parents, so Rachel kind of makes more sense as the daughter of this Jean, really. They both have the tragedy that fuels their being a little self-absorbed, they both exist out of time with knowledge of a terrible future...

It is a shame to see Rachel sidelined, but at this point there's a whole generation of fans who never really knew any other Jean than the one that's around now, which in a way makes Rachel's existence less significant to begin with. If All-new Jean can become as interesting under a new pen as Rachel was, maybe she'll finally deserve her classic status as a character in her own right.

Idk if I'd say it was about needing to be convinced that Storm/Nightcrawler/Colssus/Iceman are interesting, it's just that if i was forming a roster Iceman would've been dropped for adult Cyke and either Colossus or Nightcrawler for Jubilee. Not because any of them aren't the ideal image for why someone should read the X-Men...but because as someone whose been reading the current X-Men books, they aren't the most interesting at the moment.

It's true, Nightcrawler/Colssus/Iceman haven't had a lot to make them anyone's favorites in recent years, and if I was a new reader, I might not even understand why they're such loved characters. Then again, if I'd only started reading in the last few years, I dunno who my favorite characters would be.. But as someone who does love those characters, I am interested to see them as more central again.

It reminds me of when I first started reading Avengers; I really had no appreciation for the "big 3", because in the 90's they were among the dullest characters on the team. Now they're all among my favorites, but it took having a few writers come in and revitalize the characters for me to see why they had always been the backbone of the team.

And, given how polarizing Cyclops has become -even among Cyclops fans- I can kind of see why creators might be less excited to make him central to their stories. He's been the main figure for more than a decade now, I don't really think it's such a bad idea to sideline him for a while.

I was also thinking the same thing about Teen Cyke having to carry the team at the start...but seeing them driving around in that van kind of just made me think Runaways/Teen Titans/Young Avengers. Really anything but X-Men... which is troubling considering this is the book that should be exploring the history/intricacy of the X-Men world. (I just didn't think they'd be doing it in Scooby's Mystery Machine.)

Yeah, this will continue to be the teen book, and the X-men should have one of those. It just seems incomplete. Without Jean it doesn't feel like the O5, and without a telepath it doesn't feel like the X-men. Maybe if it had Blindfold or the Cuckoos.. actually, Blindfold could be thematically interesting, considering how this team sort of defies the way time works..

Ramior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If Gambit were in a book, I'd get it, but that doesn't look like it's happening. Guess the Fox movie has left Gambit banned from the books.

I heard then Gambit is in the Dardevil book.

Anyway you think then Marvel has regive the paternity of Magneto to the Maximoff twin ?

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bunn and Lemire are great additions. Haven't really read much of Hopeless so can't comment on his work.

Avatar image for hopesummersforthefuture
    HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@time emma should be there its her time to shine without cyclops. .........

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@adamtrmm said:

I still can't comprehend what was the motivation behind slapping all those characters into Uncanny XM roster and why in hell it wouldn't be called X-force. Still so many questions about certain characters and I'm not even talking about the Alisters.

X-men is a more recognisable name and more likely to sell than X-force. It was probably chosen for similars reason to Marvel slapping on the Avengers to any non-mutant related group title that they can, even if makes little sense or there are better alternatives.

mrkareemruiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Avatar image for raggedscarecrow
    RaggedScarecrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hopesummersforthefuture: Agreed, the two have spent way too much time together of late. I was sort of hoping the XX-Men would get relaunched with Emma leading the team.

cajunpirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That Daredevil post/article has been modified, and claims that character is all-new and definitely not Gambit.

Avatar image for deactivated-097092725
    deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Avatar image for deactivated-5cecb3b554104
    deactivated-5cecb3b554104

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 14

No. Not feeling any of this. ~shrugs~ Oh, well. At least I have good old back issues.

time1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 104

#78  Edited By time1

@hawk2916 said:

@time: No. What is Fantomex still doing on a team? Why do we still need two Icemen? Whybare the O5 still here and going Woodstock hippieville with the canper? Where is everyone like the New Mutants, Generation X, Academy X kids, Cyclops, Rogue, Emma, Gambit, Rachel Grey? Why is Sabretooth being pushed now?

Just ridiculous

While I understand your frustration with All-New X-Men and the Original Five still being in the main line-up. Magneto and Storm being leaders of the X-Men is pretty cool. Magneto team looks cool. I'm very happy that Cyclops is no longer the real focus anymore. He been in the X-Men line-up for past 15 years. For 8 years, Uncanny X-Men has been his series. Whatever direction the X-Men took, he was the main focus. I'm glad Marvel stop focusing on him.

I am annoyed that there :

No Jubilee, no X-ladies series

Rogue still with the Avengers

No Gambit again

No Cable or Hope, or Domino or Boom Boom for that matter.

No news of any other X-Men teams like the X-Force.

No news about the other students.

I wonder will Gambit ever have a purpose in the X-Men again.

Chapmar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#79  Edited By Chapmar

Cyclops and Magneto are the 2 most interesting characters in X-men comics for the last few years. Not having adult Cyclops in a major X-Book right now is just ridiculous.

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By HAWK2916

@time: Cyclops could lead a team without being the complete focus all the time. It can be done and just because some sorry writers chose to only focus on him doesn't mean we should just sideline him and write him off now. Just get writers who can actually write a team book and move forward. Magneto leading his own team is fine, though I think that team should be Xforce. Storm leading a team is great too and Rogue should have her own team. But Cyclops should also lead another team.

The O5 concept is really just ridiculous.

And why not have a villains book. Either Hellfire or the Brotherhood.

Its just so stagnant right now and this does nothing to change things. I think maybe I'm just outgrowing comics. They used to be good

time1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By time1

@hopesummersforthefuture said:

@time emma should be there its her time to shine without cyclops. .........

No sure how I feel about Emma right now. In way I'm happy, cause Emma has been in the spotlight for too long. Glad to see she not in Uncanny X-Men. In a way I'm disappointed. If she has disappear like Cyclops , then it's waste. It shows Marvel only care about making her Cyclops woman and nothing else.

Who know, she may turn up in a X-Force team or the Avengers at some point. I'm more annoyed that Rogue and Gambit are not in the X-Men teams.

brian88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not having cykes or emma? That's a lot like having pizza without the toppings. Probably a good time to quit reading these books.

time1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By time1

@hawk2916 said:

@time: Cyclops could lead a team without being the complete focus all the time. It can be done and just because some sorry writers chose to only focus on him doesn't mean we should just sideline him and write him off now. Just get writers who can actually write a team book and move forward. Magneto leading his own team is fine, though I think that team should be Xforce. Storm leading a team is great too and Rogue should have her own team. But Cyclops should also lead another team.

The O5 concept is really just ridiculous.

And why not have a villains book. Either Hellfire or the Brotherhood.

Its just so stagnant right now and this does nothing to change things. I think maybe I'm just outgrowing comics. They used to be good

I have to disagree. I think it's the best time to sideline Cyclops character. Cyclops has handed the school over to Storm and handed his students over to Storm. Emma left him too. What next for his character, seriously.

It's time Marvel focus on different characters. It's time Marvel move on. I mean Marvel got rid of the real Wolverine, why not Cyclops.

I do agree with 05 concept. It is silly, but it's what Marvel going with.

I think you should give Magneto team a chance, see where it leads. Storm team could be interesting.

I think maybe I'm just outgrowing comics. They used to be good. I felt that way during Matt Fraction, Kieron Gillen and Jason Aaron titles. The only thing that kept me interested in the X-Men titles was the X-force, X-Men Legacy and X-23 series.

Cullen Bunn should deliver a good series. His Magneto series is good. I hope Jeff Lemire does too.

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oldnightcrawler: I was thinking maybe Dazzler just doing what she was supposed to be doing in her role as Agent of shield. Mystique being one of the people she's after could give a little twist as to what her motivation are.

The only thing we know are vague things about Terrigen Mist and that the "X-Men's heavy hitters are missing". So it seems like the only things we're guranteed are that the ranks will be shrunk. And Lemire went out of his way to say that where they are and where they'll be operating from will be a secret....though who knows what that could mean.

I generally try to avoid creator interviews but Lemire's was right under the information for Extra-Men. An really it paints him as one of those guys who only read some of Claremont's run and didn't come back till Morrison. Which isn't really bad, but pretty much sets him up for a run without much care for some of the intricacies of X-Men. Rachel being one of those intricate parts, was pretty much guranteed the shaft though.

As I said I just don't like teen Jean as a representation of the character, but i can understand her placement in current X-Men books. But it bothers me alot when any character is just cast by the side because someone isn't familiar with them. Rachel is just the biggest representation of it because she's been placed in bit roles for so long, only to have a character just like her replace her....which is sort of ironic all things considered.

Cyclops on the other hand, i'm more ok with being backgrounded. A part of me would love to see him used as he is one of the most relevant and important characters in X-Men currently....but he had a good LONG run and when he was finally written into a corner it was probably time. The X-Men are in very big need of a rebuild...and like Whedon did after Morrison this is probably the moment where they see things begin to grow again. And really I'm good with this being a modern day "Astonishing" type cast, because people may feel the same way about Kurt and Iceman as they did about Kitty and Cyclops before that run.

My only thing is that the current story direction leaves the fate of so many characters in the air. Which is probably where my X-Fan paranoia kicks in, but the X-Men are a franchise built on their shared history....and with those characters literally disappeared from the narrative it brings a bad taste ....but again it's a long way till October.

As far as the All New Scooby Gang, idk....maybe they just need a chaperon or like the Cuckoo's giving them directions from Cerebro Xavier style... They could be in a way similar to Storm's roaming Security team. That image, especially with X-23 essentially wearing her dad's clothes...just paints this team as way too over there heads to be on their own. I'd love the Blindfold idea, especially with Legion living in her head, but i've given up on Marvel addressing the time travel issue, they're reasoning is essentially "Shut up we wanted to do something cool, stop asking questions".

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By HAWK2916

@time: I think its just kind of lazy and ridiculous to sideline characters just because they've been in the spotlight. And by the way as much as I hated his Wolverine was being written and appearing in 300 books a month, it was still stupid to kill him. Cyclops was written into a corner sure but that is Bendis' fault. It could be fixed.

His road to redemption could be a story worth telling over the course of a series though it need not be the focus. Yea Cyclops has been the focus for a while but Wolverine had been the focus since he was introduced just about. It makes my laugh that so many Wolverine fans all of a sudden want Scott gone bow just because Marvel did something stupid in getting rid of Wolverine.

Cullen Bunn has been great on the Magneto solo. His book seems interesting though I'm not in the least bit happy about Mystique and Sabertooth being in it. This book would perfect for Callisto or someone like Sage and Bishop maybe Magik or even Cable and Domino. Hell Gambit and Rogue would fit nicely in this book. But instead we get Fantomex.

It seems to me like some of the teams and writers were the result of a bit of scrambling on Marvels part with Marts leaving. Also Remender was supposed to be writing one of the x-books but is taking time away to be with family and focus on his creator-owned stuff. Which also is code for not liking what was happening at the office. Maybe Remender had the so called heavy hitters or shall we just say real xmen in his book

Avatar image for handofprometheus
    HandOfPrometheus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Am I the only one worried about Firestar? I mean she is not popular but I've been enjoying her in the Amazing X-men book. They might strip her of her X-Men status and forget about her...again.

*And what about the Uncanny X-men children !?*

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@handofprometheus:

Firestar is cool, but I'm far more concerned about Gambit, Cable, Domino, Jubilee etc.

As for the Bendis babies, I hope they disappear and never return(except for Morph)

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sprior93: Agreed!! Morph can go too really. Firestar can go back to Secret Warriors or go be an Inhuman

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@maccyd:

Yeah only difference is Uncanny title looks to be sabotaged. As much as I love to see Magneto getting a prominent role, I can't stop thinking of how Marvel would never let their precious flagship Avengers title be lead by villains and antiheroes. Looks like an agenda and I hate the feeling of it.

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays said:

@oldnightcrawler: I was thinking maybe Dazzler just doing what she was supposed to be doing in her role as Agent of shield. Mystique being one of the people she's after could give a little twist as to what her motivation are.

The only thing we know are vague things about Terrigen Mist and that the "X-Men's heavy hitters are missing". So it seems like the only things we're guranteed are that the ranks will be shrunk. And Lemire went out of his way to say that where they are and where they'll be operating from will be a secret....though who knows what that could mean.

something that hasn't been mentioned, I don't think, is that some of the "heavy hitters" being missing could be why we aren't seeing Rachel, Emma, M, Quire, or the Cookoos.. I mean, other heavy hitters like Havok and Polaris are unaccounted for too, but they often are anyway.. it seems kind of weird how few telepaths are left.. only Psylocke and Jean (and both of them are sometimes not telepaths). Could it be that the Terrigen Mists remove telepathy from mutants?

Or maybe there's an Inhuman plot to take all the telepaths out of play, because they give the mutant factions such an edge? Or maybe Cyclops gathered them all up for a secret mission that no one else knows about (which could explain why only Jean's left on the team, being the least trained and most volatile)? Any of those three options could be pretty interesting. And any reason for the lack of telepaths would explain why Magik would be on the main team, since we know that she's been training with Dr.Strange, and can probably be telepathic with magic like he is.

Anyway, where ever their secret base is, I hope it's still got some element of being a school beyond just Jean. Even if it's just half a dozen students and they're just in the background, I just think that should always be part of the main team's purpose. And having Magik back on the main team seems like it would mark a good enough excuse for the New X-men to break away from the main team anyway. just spitballin' here

I generally try to avoid creator interviews but Lemire's was right under the information for Extra-Men. An really it paints him as one of those guys who only read some of Claremont's run and didn't come back till Morrison. Which isn't really bad, but pretty much sets him up for a run without much care for some of the intricacies of X-Men. Rachel being one of those intricate parts, was pretty much guranteed the shaft though.

As I said I just don't like teen Jean as a representation of the character, but i can understand her placement in current X-Men books. But it bothers me alot when any character is just cast by the side because someone isn't familiar with them. Rachel is just the biggest representation of it because she's been placed in bit roles for so long, only to have a character just like her replace her....which is sort of ironic all things considered.

oh, you mean because she was sort of invented to replace Jean in the first place? yeah..

I can see that being why they might think Rachel is needlessly complicated and specific, since they probably want the main team to be accessible to new readers. I dunno, every generation gets their own version of Robin or Superboy.. maybe Marvel Girl's one of those. I mean, I always think of boring adult Jean, because that's mostly what she was for the first 20 years I read about her.. but I can see them thinking she should be in the Kitty or Jubilee role, it's not totally dumb.

Cyclops on the other hand, i'm more ok with being backgrounded. A part of me would love to see him used as he is one of the most relevant and important characters in X-Men currently....but he had a good LONG run and when he was finally written into a corner it was probably time. The X-Men are in very big need of a rebuild...and like Whedon did after Morrison this is probably the moment where they see things begin to grow again. And really I'm good with this being a modern day "Astonishing" type cast, because people may feel the same way about Kurt and Iceman as they did about Kitty and Cyclops before that run.

yeah. and, I dunno, I think them wanting to bring the number of members and teams down is to try to make it more accessible. Just the sheer number of characters who don't get named in virtually any book must be ridiculously confusing. Daunting, at least.

As far as the All New Scooby Gang, idk....maybe they just need a chaperon or like the Cuckoo's giving them directions from Cerebro Xavier style... They could be in a way similar to Storm's roaming Security team. That image, especially with X-23 essentially wearing her dad's clothes...just paints this team as way too over there heads to be on their own. I'd love the Blindfold idea, especially with Legion living in her head, but i've given up on Marvel addressing the time travel issue, they're reasoning is essentially "Shut up we wanted to do something cool, stop asking questions".

I meant something along the lines of maybe her pre-cog powers didn't work on the O5, so she wouldn't know what was going to happen to them. Plus she's just a great character. .. it just seems weird to have the X-men without some kind of telepath. Although, this does remind me a bit of the original X-force, and I guess they usually didn't have one. I dunno, it's the book I'm least interested in anyway, so, whatever.

cajunpirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sadly, I think Gambit is the latest victim of the Disney / Fox war. And since there is a fan-base around the character, the Disney answer is a virtual non-mutant copycat in a non-mutant book, Daredevil. There is not one single book from Marvel I am the least bit interested in. Sadly, outside of Justice League, I'm all but done with DC, and I guess comics in general. What the heck happened?

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By oldnightcrawler

@adamtrmm said:

@maccyd:

Yeah only difference is Uncanny title looks to be sabotaged. As much as I love to see Magneto getting a prominent role, I can't stop thinking of how Marvel would never let their precious flagship Avengers title be lead by villains and antiheroes. Looks like an agenda and I hate the feeling of it.

maybe not, but Quicksilver, Scarlet Witch, Hawkeye, Black Widow, Vision, Wonder-man, Wolverine, and lots of others were not only introduced as villains, but went back to being villains at different times after joining the team. Arguably the Avengers have not only had more villains on their team than the X-men, but have been more willing to let them re-join even after relapsing into villainous behavior.

And Magneto's been going between good and evil for the last 30 years, and kind of lead the X-men before, so it's not completely out of nowhere for him to have his own X-men.

If there is a larger agenda here, it's probably that Marvel realizes that Magneto and Mystique have become more popular than most other individual X-men characters, in part because of the movies, and they're looking to tap into that. Which isn't really dumb from either a marketing or creative standpoint.

I mean, even among X-men fans, Bunn's Magneto series was one of the only books that most fans could agree on, so..

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By HAWK2916

Magneto and Mystique have always been kind of back and forth as far as being anti-heroes is concerned which is highly interesting. The thing I have a problem with is the inclusion of Sabretooth and Fantomex. Im sure Bunn will deliver a good series but he can score major points at least with me if he finds a way to just kill Fantomex outright from the start and get rid of Sabretooth. In fact if they wanted to play with the inversion angle (which was beyond stupid by the way) i'd have much rather seen them take Havok and use him there in place of Sabretooth considering how Havok sacrificed his family to save earth in Uncanny Avengers and then to be still ostracized as a mutant, that would make anyone take a more aggressive approach, and you certainly wouldnt need an inversion spell. Polaris could join too in hopes of seeking out a relationship with her father, though that would not be my first choice of characters there.

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think I might have mentioned this before but according to reports Rick Remender was supposed to be writing an X-book. It makes me wonder if they are scrambling now to find a writer for what he had in store. Supposedly this was the plan under Martz who was going with the mutants leaving for another planet. With Martz departure and bow Remender taking a break from all things Marvel and just doing Darth Vader and his creator-owned stuff, I wonder. Maybe all the books haven't been announced and they are planning on another big announcement for Comic Con next week. Maybe the heavy hitters or at least those missing will be in a book entitled X-Nation that will explore that direction somewhat. I mean its just me speculating but there are so many missing... I mean just off the top of my head there's no: Cyclops, Emma, Cable, Rachel, Havok, Polaris, Kitty, Jubilee, Sage, Monet, Gambit (because im hearing that thats not him in the daredevil cover and its a new character), Chamber, Dani, Cannonball, Warpath, Dazzler, No Academy X students and any I'm forgetting in Generation x and New mutants.

That's far too many to be missing and I doubt Marvel pulled an Ultimatum again from Ultimate U and just mass murdered everybody. That event was a huge mistake that basically ended the Ultimate U, so a repeat of that would seem highly unlikely. Plus why in the interest of making money would not have your bestsellers out there and like or not Cyclops and Emma sells.

CobraCommander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bunn writing Uncanny has me foaming at the mouth since I think Magento was by far the best ongoing series before Secret Wars kicked off.

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oldnightcrawler: I was thinking the exact same thing about the Inhumans going for the telepaths in a conflict. Just seems like if your going to go after the X-Men and you no how they operate that's how you do it. It all depends of course on what type of conflict they have going between them, and sadly marvel has a tendency to not fully commit to these ideas...but if the inhumans have basically outlawed the X-Men then it would make sense if they have some of the most powerful members locked away on ice. It also gives a great reasoning behind why they couldn't or aren't a school anymore, since in my opinion there arent to many legitamite reasons to disband the school at this point considering they had less then 20 students when it last reopened. But if people are actually after the X-Men as a group...well that makes it difficult to teach classes.

I can sort of agree with the idea of every generation having their own version of a character. (Kitty,Jubes,Marrow,Armor and even Pixie come to mind) But I feel like Rachel outgrew being a role filler. I mean psylocke is a telepath but she's not locked into the role of the team telepath whenever she's on a main squad, and Kurt long since outgrew being the teleporter, it seems like you want to add these ppl to a team nowadays for their character not just the role of "leader" "clown" "kid" "big guy"...even if they could still be scene as that. Like I said I get why you'd want Teen Jean over Rachel...I just don't like the precedent it sets.

I can agree with making it more accessible as a motive for this. But i'd at least keep some of the history if that's the case. I said elsewhere just Rachel's last name carries weight even if its not brought up as a point and things like that encourage readers to look for answers to who the person is. With this cast I just keep thinking Astonishing, which renewed most of its cast and gave a new spin to how characters interact...but didn't exactly encourage you to follow anything else in the X-Men. Basically i'm cool with things as they are in this line up, but without a lot of those unnamed mutants the X-Men just seem like another run of the mill super team instead of the family that shows up 60 strong if you break up with Boomboom which is part of the appeal.

Lol honestly if they went the comedy route with the Scooby book, then I'd be interested in the potential for antics like that with Blindfold. But I feel like anything to serious with them would be a let down because sending them back before they destroy time would be one of the more serious things to address eventually...and that seems like the last thing on Marvels mind.

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By adamTRMM

@oldnightcrawler:

maybe not, but Quicksilver, Scarlet Witch, Hawkeye, Black Widow, Vision, Wonder-man, Wolverine, and lots of others were not only introduced as villains, but went back to being villains at different times after joining the team. Arguably the Avengers have not only had more villains on their team than the X-men, but have been more willing to let them re-join even after relapsing into villainous behavior.

I won't pretend like I'm so well-familiar with the Avengers pre-Disassembled besides the basics and conceptual knowledge, but I'll tell you what kind of consistent traits I kept seeing in my casual, I mind you, observation: they are willing to forgive and forget the sins of those guys who are part of the Elite club that is Avengers already. It's a card you better have in their world lol

Protectionism and privilege? Check. ;)

And Magneto's been going between good and evil for the last 30 years, and kind of lead the X-men before, so it's not completely out of nowhere for him to have his own X-men.

If that was Magneto, with some several bloodthirsty X-men I would've felt much less conspired against then I do now haha

But seriously, why not X-force? Why it has to be that flagship title?

If there is a larger agenda here, it's probably that Marvel realizes that Magneto and Mystique have become more popular than most other individual X-men characters, in part because of the movies, and they're looking to tap into that. Which isn't really dumb from either a marketing or creative standpoint.

But they're still somewhat sabotaging the X-men world perception/status by doing so. Wouldn't you say?

I mean, even among X-men fans, Bunn's Magneto series was one of the only books that most fans could agree on, so..

That's more of a flaw of the franchise and creative teams working on it than an actual course or a change of audience I'd say.

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays said:

@oldnightcrawler: I was thinking the exact same thing about the Inhumans going for the telepaths in a conflict. Just seems like if your going to go after the X-Men and you no how they operate that's how you do it. It all depends of course on what type of conflict they have going between them, and sadly marvel has a tendency to not fully commit to these ideas...but if the inhumans have basically outlawed the X-Men then it would make sense if they have some of the most powerful members locked away on ice. It also gives a great reasoning behind why they couldn't or aren't a school anymore, since in my opinion there arent to many legitamite reasons to disband the school at this point considering they had less then 20 students when it last reopened. But if people are actually after the X-Men as a group...well that makes it difficult to teach classes.

yeah, but it also means that some students are going to need protection. The school as a place may be a big target, but the school as a group or an idea still offers more protection than young, untrained mutants left to fend for themselves.

I can sort of agree with the idea of every generation having their own version of a character. (Kitty,Jubes,Marrow,Armor and even Pixie come to mind) But I feel like Rachel outgrew being a role filler. I mean psylocke is a telepath but she's not locked into the role of the team telepath whenever she's on a main squad, and Kurt long since outgrew being the teleporter, it seems like you want to add these ppl to a team nowadays for their character not just the role of "leader" "clown" "kid" "big guy"...even if they could still be scene as that. Like I said I get why you'd want Teen Jean over Rachel...I just don't like the precedent it sets.

As an old school fan, I agree, and I do find Rachel more interesting personally. But I can appreciate how she's a fairly convoluted character to explain or even understand the motivations of compared to teen Jean. And since she's not new or a kid, she couldn't really fill the role they obviously have in mind for Jean.

I also think they really want to give Jean another shot in the mainstream. I mean, she's been both popular and divisive among fans for as long as I've been reading about her, and for a character that's so simple and central to the mythos, I can kind of see the appeal of wanting to just sort of let her start from scratch, without having to scrap every other characters' histories. It's just as likely not to work because of all the die-hards who insist she's not "the real Jean", or people who get hung up on continuity or whatever. But I can see what they're going for, and since I was never the hugest fan of the real Jean to begin with, I guess I'm more willing to give a new version a chance.

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@adamtrmm said:

If that was Magneto, with some several bloodthirsty X-men I would've felt much less conspired against then I do now haha

But seriously, why not X-force? Why it has to be that flagship title?

well, why shouldn't it be?

X-force has always been a name groups used to distinguish themselves from the X-men; I just don't see why Magneto would bother. He's been on the X-men plenty, knew the guy who founded them before anyone else, ran the school, and even founded the team himself in other realities. He's been a central character longer than almost any X-man that's still around, why would or should he bother?

You could see it as Magneto's team getting the flagship, or you could see Storm's team as the flagship and Magneto's the official opposition party. That's what his Brotherhood was in Stan Lee's run, and what Mystique's was in Claremont's. I actually like the idea that there's the X-mem, the followers of Xavier, and then there's Magneto's X-men; there's just something about that that's kind of always been there anyway.

But they're still somewhat sabotaging the X-men world perception/status by doing so. Wouldn't you say?

in our world or theirs?

In our world, Magneto's always been central to the X-men's story; he and Mystique have been in virtually every version of the X-men's story, across all media, and so, have always had more of a presence in the public perception of what the X-men are than most individual X-men.

In their world, I don't know why Magneto or Mystique would have a problem with sabotaging the public's perception of the X-men; they've both done it on purpose before.

Magneto and Mystique may not be the definitive X-men, but they are among the characters who most define the X-men.

That's more of a flaw of the franchise and creative teams working on it than an actual course or a change of audience I'd say.

I don't consider Magneto being one of the most intriguing X-men characters a flaw in the franchise; to me, the X-men's ideals have always meant more because Magneto's argument is so compelling. Magneto's story is why there's X-men; Xavier formed the X-men because of Magneto, not the other way around.

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oldnightcrawler: I'm just curious, being that you are so accepting of teen Jean, how do/did you view Hope when she came on the scene?

Personally I like Hope more so than teen Jean and I even felt it would ha e been far more compelling if Hope were Jean Grey reincarnated or even the return of Maddie Pryor. Though I'm not necessarily opposed to the idea of her being a separate character and just a powerful mutant in her own right. Which I think is what Carey and others wanted. I think it was meant to be quite complex with her being the only mutant born after M-day and immediately having pressure heaped on her to be the Messiah or the fear that she was some Antichrist. I mean she could have taken hated and feared to another level.

With teen Jean I think I rejected the idea outright because of the set up of the story. To me if the set up was better it would have made a huge difference because I always viewed the O5 in this case as not the real xmen. Plus it had one of the big crutches that falsely prop up alot of stories and thats time-travel. I mean I would have settled more so for Beast stealing Jeans body and somehow bringing her back to life to help out with Scott. Or dare I say this Phoenix egg stuff from Hickman or if in the vein of at least the Xmen having a slightly larger role in the Marvel U by having Beast use his New Avengers connections and crash the Ultimate U or some other universe to bring Jean Grey to 616. Im even willing to concede that it could have been very compelling but I think the idea failed and to see it still lingering is disappointing. The focus was all on teen Jean in ANX and if that was really to be the case then she's the o ly one that should have been brought from the past. I mean now that there's Xmen 92'out there in Battle world, why not just let that Jean survive and be there for Extraordinary?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.