New Costumes For... (As revealed in Marvel's March Solicitations)

#1 Posted by slimlim (266 posts) - - Show Bio

POSSIBLE SPOILER ALERT!

This info is based on March 2013 Solicitaions, so if you're sensitive about such things... Go BACK now

So its been revealed that ALL NEW X-MEN #9 will feature...

"The Original Five X-Men get new costumes!"

Thoughts?

Should Marvel just leave it alone?

Or do you welcome the change? And if so, how would you like the change to be?

#2 Edited by God_Spawn (38114 posts) - - Show Bio

I think I'd have to see the costumes first. Personally, I don't mind. The O5 are probably gonna end up growing into different versions of themselves with all the junk they have had to face and will continue to face since coming to the present.

Moderator
#3 Posted by ComicMan24 (147095 posts) - - Show Bio

Well I think it was mentioned somewhere before, that they would be getting new costumes at some point. So can't say I am surprised. They do need them, if you ask me. The costumes they have now might be the latest craze in the 60s but now they just seem lacking. But of course I want to see the new costumes first.

#4 Posted by slimlim (266 posts) - - Show Bio

@god_spawn: Cheers for helping me with the repeat topic!

I'm more than a little curious how these will turn out. But personally, i've always been a fan of the O5's team look.

Here're some images of the previous times the O5 looks have been updated.

#5 Posted by slimlim (266 posts) - - Show Bio
#6 Posted by Dernman (15250 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't mind.

#7 Posted by God_Spawn (38114 posts) - - Show Bio

@slimlim: No problem. I'm here to help.

Moderator
#8 Posted by PhoenixoftheTides (3600 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't care about the storyline but I like new art so I'd like to see the costumes. Technically, they were on the New Mutants level during that point and hadn't graduated, yet, so I still think they should stick with the black and gold with masks.

#9 Posted by slimlim (266 posts) - - Show Bio

@PhoenixoftheTides: i completely agree with you there

#10 Posted by royale_with_cheese (747 posts) - - Show Bio

@god_spawn said:

I think I'd have to see the costumes first. Personally, I don't mind. The O5 are probably gonna end up growing into different versions of themselves with all the junk they have had to face and will continue to face since coming to the present.

Wait what? How are there the original 5 if Jean has been dead for years? What is going on?

#11 Posted by slimlim (266 posts) - - Show Bio

@royale_with_cheese: days of future present

#12 Posted by AgeofHurricane (7301 posts) - - Show Bio

Not interested. This "flagship" has seen itself become a humorous fail in only three issues, not suprising considering the writer, but the next direction in which takes further proves my point. For this issue in particular, all of a sudden i forsee a double-page splash in which the O5 and Bendis'vengers are all seated in the JGS eating breakfast while ushering monosyllabic dialogue regarding said breakfast, or something worse like a contrived reason as to why Steve Rodgers feels the need to get himself involved in absolutely noting that concerns him. How fun.

#13 Posted by royale_with_cheese (747 posts) - - Show Bio

@slimlim said:

@royale_with_cheese: days of future present

Please do elaborate. I've been out of the comic scene since AvX so.............

#14 Posted by JonSmith (4001 posts) - - Show Bio

@royale_with_cheese said:

I think I'd have to see the costumes first. Personally, I don't mind. The O5 are probably gonna end up growing into different versions of themselves with all the junk they have had to face and will continue to face since coming to the present.

Wait what? How are there the original 5 if Jean has been dead for years? What is going on?

Beast did a bad thing and time traveled into the past, dragging the original five X-Men, a younger version of himself, Jean Grey, Scott Summers, Bobby Drake, and Warren Worthington into the present day. He believes the younger version of Scott, by confronting his elder self, will be able to divert Cyclops from his chosen path of Mutant Revolution.

Godspawn is saying he expects this change in the timeline will cause the original five to develop in ways drastically different from how they did in the original timeline, in which they remained in the past and grew up naturally.

#15 Posted by royale_with_cheese (747 posts) - - Show Bio

@JonSmith said:

@royale_with_cheese said:

I think I'd have to see the costumes first. Personally, I don't mind. The O5 are probably gonna end up growing into different versions of themselves with all the junk they have had to face and will continue to face since coming to the present.

Wait what? How are there the original 5 if Jean has been dead for years? What is going on?

Beast did a bad thing and time traveled into the past, dragging the original five X-Men, a younger version of himself, Jean Grey, Scott Summers, Bobby Drake, and Warren Worthington into the present day. He believes the younger version of Scott, by confronting his elder self, will be able to divert Cyclops from his chosen path of Mutant Revolution.

Godspawn is saying he expects this change in the timeline will cause the original five to develop in ways drastically different from how they did in the original timeline, in which they remained in the past and grew up naturally.

Are these original 5 X-men from an alternate past? Cause if they aren't, doesn't that mean they have already altered the present versions of themselves without realizing it?

#16 Posted by JonSmith (4001 posts) - - Show Bio

@royale_with_cheese said:

Beast did a bad thing and time traveled into the past, dragging the original five X-Men, a younger version of himself, Jean Grey, Scott Summers, Bobby Drake, and Warren Worthington into the present day. He believes the younger version of Scott, by confronting his elder self, will be able to divert Cyclops from his chosen path of Mutant Revolution.

Godspawn is saying he expects this change in the timeline will cause the original five to develop in ways drastically different from how they did in the original timeline, in which they remained in the past and grew up naturally.

Are these original 5 X-men from an alternate past? Cause if they aren't, doesn't that mean they have already altered the present versions of themselves without realizing it?

Nah, I think it may end with their memories being erased and them being returned to the exact moment they left. So no changes to the timeline, no recollection of what happens, etc. I hope it doesn't go down like that, because their long term presence may be far more interesting. In the event they go that route, they'll probably be going more with a divergent timeline: Instead of going into the past changing the present, once the O5 were taken out of the past, it created an entirely separate timeline in which they weren't there. Said timeline would be separate from the current one.

#17 Posted by JohnnyGat (1573 posts) - - Show Bio

The less Black and Yellow the better.

#18 Posted by CerealKiller (161 posts) - - Show Bio

I had hoped that they wouldn't be staying long enough to need new costumes. I mean i want them to stay around for this entire arc and i think them showing up is interesting, but by giving them new outfits its like they're planning to have them stay around more permanantly or simple forever as replacements to the current versions of themselves. If current beast is dying maybe it would be a good thing for old beast to stay, as well as past jean staying too just so Jean is back, but really i think past bobby, scott and warren can all go back.

What im trying to say is, i think they would keep the old recognisable costumes that made them identifiable as the old team IF this arc was going to be known as 'that time the old team came back'. New costumes makes me think they're being incorporated in new and current x-men lore, and this isn't just a one time stunt.

#19 Posted by God_Spawn (38114 posts) - - Show Bio

@royale_with_cheese: The Original 5 are as their namesake implies. It's the real Cyclops, Angel, Jean, Beast, and Iceman from a specific point in time from the past brought forth.

Moderator
#20 Posted by xrs12 (16 posts) - - Show Bio

I have to admit this storyline is very good, but I don't understand how any of them could stay in the present. The only way I can see this ending is the real Jean coming back from the dead for the 50th anniversary and wiping everything. None of the characters can stay in the present because then they wouldn't exist in the past which means they would cease to exist in the present... Mind F***!. Just the same as Jean cannot possibly stay because then her relationship with Cyke would never happen, the summers family would cease to exist, the past 50 years of x-men would disappear. Nightcrawler, Colossus, Storm and Wolverine would never have become X-Men because they wouldn't have been brought in for the second generation.

Everyone knows that in time travel you can live in the past if you are from the future but you cant permanently stay in the future if you have come from the past.

Confuseddddd

#21 Posted by The_Goddess_of_Chaos (315 posts) - - Show Bio
@slimlim said:


                   

@royale_with_cheese: days of future present



                   

               

All-New X-Men, Vol. 1: Here Comes Yesterday
#22 Posted by John Valentine (16313 posts) - - Show Bio

@AgeofHurricane said:

Not interested. This "flagship" has seen itself become a humorous fail in only three issues, not suprising considering the writer, but the next direction in which takes further proves my point. For this issue in particular, all of a sudden i forsee a double-page splash in which the O5 and Bendis'vengers are all seated in the JGS eating breakfast while ushering monosyllabic dialogue regarding said breakfast, or something worse like a contrived reason as to why Steve Rodgers feels the need to get himself involved in absolutely noting that concerns him. How fun.

Calm down, AoH.

#23 Posted by slimlim (266 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm wondering if the O5 will remain together. Or perhaps differences in opinion and ideology may see the O5 siding against their future selves.

Especially Cyclops, Beast and Marvel Girl.

#24 Posted by John Valentine (16313 posts) - - Show Bio

@slimlim said:

I'm wondering if the O5 will remain together. Or perhaps differences in opinion and ideology may see the O5 siding against their future selves.

Especially Cyclops, Beast and Marvel Girl.

I think they will probably stay together. I can't see past Scott siding with Rebellion Scott.

I can't see why O5 Beast would stand against present Beast, either.

#25 Posted by AgeofHurricane (7301 posts) - - Show Bio

@John Valentine: Not while something like this is still receiving ongoing publications.

This is now the worst.

#26 Posted by PolarisJunkie (99 posts) - - Show Bio

Is the issue that low on plot that the fact that characters get new costumes are part of the synopsis?

#27 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

@PolarisJunkie said:

Is the issue that low on plot that the fact that characters get new costumes are part of the synopsis?

I was thinking the same thing.

#28 Edited by fACEmelter88 (613 posts) - - Show Bio

Sure I like the story and series but honestly....WHY ARE THE ORIGINALS (still) IN THE PRESENT?! Time travel rules and such prove the longer they're here the more damage is done to the time line and reality. Ooooh, the paradoxes.

#29 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (33969 posts) - - Show Bio

I hope there still uniform

#30 Posted by TDK_1997 (14989 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't mind that at all.

#31 Posted by ScarletWebs (17 posts) - - Show Bio

@xrs12: This is comics were talking about though, anything can happen. As much as I think its weird they are probably going to be around longer than this arc. Since they came to the future i'm pretty sure it just made an alternate timeline, it didn't mess up the past.

#32 Posted by Brazen_Intellect (1144 posts) - - Show Bio

New costumes....same old bad idea...

#33 Posted by Timandm (3374 posts) - - Show Bio

@slimlim said:

@god_spawn: Cheers for helping me with the repeat topic!

I'm more than a little curious how these will turn out. But personally, i've always been a fan of the O5's team look.

Here're some images of the previous times the O5 looks have been updated.

I think this picture proves that Iceman most definitely needs a "new costume." Seeing a grown man (or teenager perhaps) wearing nothing but a pair of boots is.... Disturbing at best.

#34 Posted by chasereis (794 posts) - - Show Bio

@AgeofHurricane: You REALLY dont like this storyline, huh? LOL

@xrs12: Yes this is the Pandora's Box called time travel and it is a comic reader worst nightmare when it is not an integral part of the title. Chris unleashed it in 141 and every writer and his grandmother love to take turns time traveling and killing Jean Grey, thus screwing the books and continuity. So take it for what it is and enjoy the (likely) short ride.

#35 Posted by AgeofHurricane (7301 posts) - - Show Bio

@chasereis: Lol no. This is a profuse amount horrible of fan-fic sh*t. Literally.

#36 Posted by chasereis (794 posts) - - Show Bio

@AgeofHurricane: I dont know I think this is just another outlet (right or wrong) to fix bad storylines in the past. Think of it this way, it cant get worse than Zero Hour right? I think the two BIGGEST mistakes in comics today is lack of foresight with a brand or franchise for the sake of sensationalism and the blantant overuse of "jumping on points" for new readers. New Readers do the comic book would a favor and buy the freaking back issues.

Rant done, MISSION....CLEAR!

#37 Posted by AgeofHurricane (7301 posts) - - Show Bio

@chasereis said:

@AgeofHurricane: I dont know I think this is just another outlet (right or wrong) to fix bad storylines in the past. Think of it this way, it cant get worse than Zero Hour right? I think the two BIGGEST mistakes in comics today is lack of foresight with a brand or franchise for the sake of sensationalism and the blantant overuse of "jumping on points" for new readers. New Readers do the comic book would a favor and buy the freaking back issues.

Rant done, MISSION....CLEAR!

The most annoying thing about this "new-reader friendly" concept is that Marvel seems to be under the impression that the new-reader demographic constitutes of strictly illiterate folk with restricted access to the internet, also incapable of figuring out what a "Wikipedia" is if they ever needed to get some prior information regarding a said character, everything has to be so "fresh" and whatnot, mostly to the risk and detriment of the character that has to represent this "new-reader" friendly environment, which is why i loved CaXF, nothing was explicitly "new" and there wasn't that much of an introduction, they just head right into the story while still intriguing and gaining new readers.

#38 Posted by One_Eye (783 posts) - - Show Bio

The storyline doesn't interest me, however, the possible reactions from the O5 meeting their future counterparts I believe is what's got everyone hooked or at least hanging around for the ride.

#39 Posted by chasereis (794 posts) - - Show Bio

@AgeofHurricane: Well said Hurricane. Why does a new reader environment have to be so alienating for an intelligent or even just a comics saavy reader who might be new to a series but not comics as a whole?

#40 Posted by Prodigy P (159 posts) - - Show Bio

Well, I sincerely hope this doesn't mean they'll be sticking around for longer.

#41 Posted by SoA (4945 posts) - - Show Bio

maybe that x-visor look is a reference to the new costumes?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.