Follow

X-Men

Team » X-Men appears in 13419 issues.

The X-Men are a superhero team of mutants founded by Professor Charles Xavier. They are dedicated to helping fellow mutants and sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them.

Need help understanding Uncanny X-Men

MiniSaladFresh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Ok, I'm very confused here for several reasons, could somebody please explain this to me?

I just bought the Marvel Now "Uncanny X-Men: Revolution" and when I bought it, I was under the impression that it was the first volume of the series; Amazon says it's volume 1, Goodreads says it's volume 1, everything seems to say it's volume 1 except the book itself. In the book, on the pages showing the cover art for each issue at the top it says "Uncanny X-Men Vol.3" and then the issue number. Is "Revolution" volume 3? Because everywhere else seems to be telling me it's volume 1. Any clarification here would be greatly appreciated.

Secondly (and this only applies if Revolution is indeed volume 1), I read AvX, and now I'm reading Uncanny X-Men. Kind of confused about the fact that Cyclops is out of prison, he can't control his powers and Magneto is apparently losing his. What did I miss between AvX and Uncanny? Is there another book which explains this stuff?

Thanks for any help here

Avatar image for oldnightcrawler
    oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#2  Edited By oldnightcrawler

@minisaladfresh said:

Ok, I'm very confused here for several reasons, could somebody please explain this to me?

I just bought the Marvel Now "Uncanny X-Men: Revolution" and when I bought it, I was under the impression that it was the first volume of the series; Amazon says it's volume 1, Goodreads says it's volume 1, everything seems to say it's volume 1 except the book itself. In the book, on the pages showing the cover art for each issue at the top it says "Uncanny X-Men Vol.3" and then the issue number. Is "Revolution" volume 3? Because everywhere else seems to be telling me it's volume 1. Any clarification here would be greatly appreciated.

Uncanny X-Men: Revolution #1 - Volume 1 is what you're talking about, yeah? Well the confusing thing about that is that it's the 1st trade paperback of the 3rd series to have that name.

The original The Uncanny X-Men series was a continuation of the first X-men series from the 60's and went up until 2011. The second one, Uncanny X-Men (vol.2) started in 2012 and was only around for a year before it was relaunched in the book that you have, Uncanny X-Men (vol.3), in 2013. So 'Revolution is volume 1 of volume 3, get it?

Secondly (and this only applies if Revolution is indeed volume 1), I read AvX, and now I'm reading Uncanny X-Men. Kind of confused about the fact that Cyclops is out of prison, he can't control his powers and Magneto is apparently losing his. What did I miss between AvX and Uncanny? Is there another book which explains this stuff?

Cyclops gets broken out of prison in the last issue of the Avengers Vs X-Men: Consequences 6-issue miniseries that followed AvsX, which is actually a pretty decent read (better than AvsX itself, in my opinion).

Between that mini and the start of Uncanny' vol.3, we only see Cyclops and crew in the first 6 issues of All-New X-Men. This is where he and Magneto and Magik break Emma Frost out, start building their new secret school, rescue Tempus and Triage from the police, and first recruit Benjamin Deeds. It's also where we first see Cyclops and Magneto's powers being screwed up (when they rescue Emma), but that still hasn't really been explained.

hope that helps.

MiniSaladFresh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oldnightcrawler: Thank you :D I get it now. They really do make it confusing don't they? I was thinking of buying the first few volumes of All-New X-Men anyway so it looks like I'll definitely be getting those now, and maybe I'll grab AvX Consequences too. Damn it I hate events, they're so confusing.

Anyway, thanks for clearing everything up.

StarWatcher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By StarWatcher

I hope you enjoy it! Uncanny X-men is the best current X-men series in my opinion.

Avatar image for oldnightcrawler
    oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

@oldnightcrawler: Thank you :D I get it now. They really do make it confusing don't they? I was thinking of buying the first few volumes of All-New X-Men anyway so it looks like I'll definitely be getting those now, and maybe I'll grab AvX Consequences too. Damn it I hate events, they're so confusing.

Anyway, thanks for clearing everything up.

no problem, happy to help. I feel like All-new' was geared at new readers at the time, as a kind of jumping on point, so they sort of launched Uncanny' vol.3 out of the first volume of that. It explains things about the previous books in a way that people who hadn't read them wouldn't have to to jump onto the new books. I only read the first 15 issues or so, but they're pretty fun.

And I quite enjoyed what I read of 'Consequences. Good, character-driven stuff.

I hope you enjoy it! Uncanny X-men is the best current X-men series in my opinion.

I agree (unless All-New X-Factor counts..); overall, probably one of the best X-men books in years.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.