Follow

X-Men

Team » X-Men appears in 13416 issues.

The X-Men are a superhero team of mutants founded by Professor Charles Xavier. They are dedicated to helping fellow mutants and sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them.

Need Help!

Wheates14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Wheates14

Hi everyone I am pretty new to the whole comic scene and I am really interested in getting into the x men story line. Besides for ultimate x men I haven't read too many other titles except a few random books here and there...the last one I read was the first issue of X Men volume 3. But I would really like to try to start from the beginning for continuity sake, if that's possible but I have no clue what order to go in. So if anyone out there has a timeline or list of series that would start me from the beginning(or just a good place to start in your opinion) I would really appreciate it! Also sorry if I posted this in the wrong section I have no idea what I'm doing. Thanks!

Wheates14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Wheates14

Also I am looking and I see that it all started with uncanny x men right? But I know there are multiple books going t the same time that would be considered the main story. Like x men volume two turns into new x men? Then goes back to volume 2? I'm just looking for a list of the titles and which order the go. But I don't even know if that's possible lol. If you could help to the best of your knowledge it would be greatly appreciated.

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By jhazzroucher

STart with Giant-Sized X-Men #1

chalkshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By chalkshark

Your best bet is to wait a couple of months, when the Marvel Now initiative happens, at which point, most of their titles will re-set to #1 and will begin an entirely new direction for the various X-men titles. This would be considered a good "jumping on point" for new readers. As far as diving in deep with the actual history of the series goes, this site can lead you where you need to go. The book that started it all was 1963's X-Men #1, retitled All New, All Different X-Men with issue #94 and then The Uncanny X-Men a couple of years after that. That's your core title from which everything else has spun out of. I suspect a lot of the material you're looking for has been collected in various trades, so happy hunting. Don't get too bog downed in continuity. If you just want to read the X-Men because you love the X-Men, that's awesome, and there's a lot of great books waiting for you to discover them. Every writer that takes over the book only ever references a certain amount of past continuity, so you don't need to be that well versed to follow the current stories.

papad1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

#5  Edited By papad1992

@Wheates14: @chalkshark said:

Your best bet is to wait a couple of months, when the Marvel Now initiative happens, at which point, most of their titles will re-set to #1 and will begin an entirely new direction for the various X-men titles. This would be considered a good "jumping on point" for new readers. As far as diving in deep with the actual history of the series goes, this site can lead you where you need to go. The book that started it all was 1963's X-Men #1, retitled All New, All Different X-Men with issue #94 and then The Uncanny X-Men a couple of years after that. That's your core title from which everything else has spun out of. I suspect a lot of the material you're looking for has been collected in various trades, so happy hunting. Don't get too bog downed in continuity. If you just want to read the X-Men because you love the X-Men, that's awesome, and there's a lot of great books waiting for you to discover them. Every writer that takes over the book only ever references a certain amount of past continuity, so you don't need to be that well versed to follow the current stories.

Exactly what u said... Only I'll throw in that there are also X-Men related books like New Mutants, Generation X, New X-Men, X-Factor, X-Force, Xtreme X-Men, Excalibur, various X-Men titles, etc... There are many incarnations of these titles and if u have a deep pocket I suggest browsing through this site and reading and searching of different subject, stories, etc that you'd like.... That's how I started out in the early 2000s now look at me, I got two whole bookshelves of Marvel material!!

Wheates14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Wheates14

I think I'll wait until everything resets but in the meantime ill dick around with random stuff and see what I like. Thanks for the info!

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By jhazzroucher

@Wheates14 said:

I think I'll wait until everything resets but in the meantime ill dick around with random stuff and see what I like. Thanks for the info!

do you actually have a favorite x-men character so we will be able to recommend something that you might not know?

slimlim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By slimlim

For the Classic stuff... no point trying to read that i think. The writing, pacing and overall feel of how comics were back then may throw you off. As for the 90s... there's some good stuff, but also a ton of crap! In fact, i stopped reading for years because of the 90s.

For a feel of modern day X-Men, i recommend you to read in this order:

1. Grant Morrison's NEW X-MEN

2. Joss Whedon's (yes... THAT Joss Whedon) ASTONISHING X-MEN

3. House of M

4. Messiah Complex

5. Messiah War

6. Second Coming

7. Schism

8. Avengers vs X-Men (This will lead into MARVEL NOW)

Of all these... Joss Whedon's Astonishing X-Men is a MUST (IMHO)

Wheates14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Wheates14

Hmm I guess definitely cyclops. I like iceman cyclops wolverine havock and colossus for the male members. For the female for some reason I really like mystique. Also Emma frost Phoenix kitty pryde an psylocke. I have read some random titles here and there but when ultimate x men was out when I was younger I read the whole thing till it ended. So really the only versions of the characters that I know are te ultimate versions, the others just confuse me. But I know with like Emma frost tht the ultimate version was very different from the regular character. Also, this is random, I have been seeing a lot about Rachel summers and I have no idea who she is but it seems like an interesting character.

Wheates14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Wheates14

Slimlim: that's something that I was looking for just and order that would sort of make sense. I don't know anything about comics an I would mind skipping the classic stuff at least for now. I think I actually have astonishing x men volume 3 and 4...I think. I bought them like 2 years ago and tried reading it but the whole alien thing threw me off if I remember..I felt like I was missing something.

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By jhazzroucher

@Wheates14 said:

Hmm I guess definitely cyclops. I like iceman cyclops wolverine havock and colossus for the male members. For the female for some reason I really like mystique. Also Emma frost Phoenix kitty pryde an psylocke. I have read some random titles here and there but when ultimate x men was out when I was younger I read the whole thing till it ended. So really the only versions of the characters that I know are te ultimate versions, the others just confuse me. But I know with like Emma frost tht the ultimate version was very different from the regular character. Also, this is random, I have been seeing a lot about Rachel summers and I have no idea who she is but it seems like an interesting character.

If that's the case, then start with X-men #1 from 1963 and up. : )

Wheates14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Wheates14

Is that under the title Uncanny Xmen vol 1?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.