Follow

X-Men

Team » X-Men appears in 13410 issues.

The X-Men are a superhero team of mutants founded by Professor Charles Xavier. They are dedicated to helping fellow mutants and sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them.

Movies and Shows make the X-ladies seem weak..

• 55 results
    poisonfleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By poisonfleur

In the movies the x-ladies got screwed over quite a bit in media. What is up with this. These Ladies are some of the most powerful women in all comics.. Storm defeated Wonder Woman, Phoenix destroys Planets, Emma is the World's current best telepath. Please Media, let's stop making them weak just because they are girls.

X-men Movies:

Storm: Had little screen time and had a mousey performance in the first two movies. She was cool in the Last Stand. Although I was hoping for more.

Jean:Had a decent presence although in the last movie, there was no Phoenix and she had an underwhelming part for being the main villain/character.

Rogue: Was just a normal girl with problems about touching. Had no southern sass/personality and didn't have any action scenes.

Emma: Didn't really look like Emma. Didn't sound like Emma. Heck didn't even act like Emma. For example: When Shaw told her to get some ice for his drink.. I found it crazy that she actually did. And the actress was the worst in the series by far.

Angel: I liked Angel. Although a LOT of people don't like her for various reasons.

Psylocke: A sad cameo...

Moira, Deathstrike, Callisto, Shadowcat and Mystique: Where Great and very well executed.

Wolverine and the X-men:

Storm: Storm get's knocked out EVERY Episode... heck she even got knocked out in the first episode.. That NEVER happens in the comics.

Emma Frost: Well done. She may have been the most interesting character in the whole show.

Psylocke: Got her butt kicked by Emma in one episode. And Betty was randomly a bad guy again...?

Shadowcat: Okay I guess.

X-men Anime:

Storm: Lovely design and concept but 2 huge problems!!

1) Storm weakened from barely using her powers. She even passes out. So much for being named Storm.. *sigh*

2) Storm's voice acting: ABYSMAL! Storm was never a sassy street voice. Saying catchphrases like 'I Got This!' (That voice acting made me want to throw myself in traffic...)

Emma: Great look and design as well. But her voice sounds just like Lightning from final fantasy xiii

Jean: Dead most of the time, But she remained loyal to her character.

Rogue: Had a cute cameo.

Marvel Vs Capcom 3

Pheonix: That health bar!! ;P

Storm: Was possibly the best character of MvC2. Now she isn't as good. It's strange how Ryu, Virgil, Dante, and Amy have these huge move lists, and Storm can't even call down a lightning bolt..

Rogue & Psylocke: Didn't make it back.

X-23: 'Is the second best at what she does'

X-men Destiny

Ahh-- forget it. That game was so bad it's not even worth mentioning..

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#2  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

Stopped reading after Storm defeats Wonder Woman

Avatar image for thewholedamnshow
    TheWholeDamnShow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By TheWholeDamnShow

Storm had a lot of screen time in all three movies. Also, Phoenix didn't make an appearance? What? X3 was heavily inspired by the Dark Phoenix saga and who do you think this crazy brod is? Phoenix was a manifestation of Jean's Omega mutant powers that she couldn't control. Sure she wasn't the planet eating thing from the comics, but that wouldn't have made much sense in the movies and wold have been very unrealistic as far as fictional movies go.

No Caption Provided

I liked Rogue and the actress that played her. The last movie did a horrible job of portraying anything beneficial to her character at all, in fact that movie was horrible in a lot of ways. If it wasn't for the Phoenix, I would have hated that movie. Shadowcat was cool in both movies I guess. I find the huge age gap between both the actresses that played her kind of odd though. I still haven't seen First Class because of all the plot holes and stuff. Sounds terrible.

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#4  Edited By SC  Moderator

Establishing good characters is usually harder than finding the person/people to make a good story, however X-Men seems to find the opposite problem, and its one that can apply back into comics as well, given the frequent turn over rate. So unfortunately some writers raise the bar ((CC, Morrison, Carey)) and others drop it, some spectacularly so. Applies back to other mediums again. Too bad really. 

soccersss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By soccersss

@spiderbat87 said:

Stopped reading after Storm defeats Wonder Woman

LoL. I was going to mention that. When did Storm ever defeat Wonder Woman??? Storm would give Diana a decent fight but she is no match for the Amazon goddess imo.

Nevertheless I do agree that the X-girls tend to be under-powered in tv shows and movies. Then again almost everyone is underpowered when they go mainstream to make them more realistic. There was no way they were going do justice to the over-powered planets eating being Phoenix is supposed to be in X-men: The Last Stand

BatteredArmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By BatteredArmor

If you weren't Wolverine or Magneto in the X-movies you looked weak

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By cattlebattle

Characters are rarely as powerful or skilled in a movie or show as they are in comics, X-Men, Fantastic Four, Justice League.......whoever 

The characters screen time and such is simply based on the writers decisions and how they decide to move the plot forward with the characters  

I don't think anyone really sets out with the idea to play down the X-Ladies...I'm sure there were strong points for them you just didn't mention, your generalizing

King Quisling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By King Quisling

True that. Although if you weren't Wolverine or Magneto in those movies you were bound to be portrayed in a less than fortunate light.

gravitypress

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By gravitypress

Thats the way of Marvel. Unless you are Spidey or Wolverine you are an afterthought. In the quest to make some characters more human (laughable) they gimp and write down the characters to aggravating levels.

stambo42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By stambo42

In a live action film I think it's difficult to plot around characters who are THAT powerful. Characters perform beneath their ability all the time in comics too, just not necessarily those characters. Story telling needs tension and conflict, it's just unfortunate that this seems to afflict female characters more prevalently.

Or were you expecting the Shi'ar to make an appearance in the third movie?

Avatar image for deactivated-5a162dd41dd64
    deactivated-5a162dd41dd64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 100

User Lists: 6

I adamantly refuse to see First Class, for multiple reasons; it's good to hear that I didn't miss much.

@stambo42: Well said!

The difference between movie and comic plots is pretty vast. For one, they both use different types of action sequences that focus on different, well, actions, which can make it difficult to depict a powerful comic character in a movie.

KainScion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#12  Edited By KainScion

@Squares: yes, you did. it was quite good. the cast was awesome.

Avatar image for sesquipedalophobe
    sesquipedalophobe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The only character who matched his character power-wise was Wolverine, but he was also out of character. Storm nearly passed out because the writers figured it would give her dramatic flare, but then again they also made her American after they figured out Halle Berry couldn't change her accent to save her acting career. I normally don't watch the cartoons because the previous ones always had something to do with a new Kitty Prydesque characters, which drowns every show with a newbie perspective shrouded in sentimental nonsense.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By cattlebattle
    @sesquipedalophobe said:

The only character who matched his character power-wise was Wolverine, but he was also out of character. Storm nearly passed out because the writers figured it would give her dramatic flare, but then again they also made her American after they figured out Halle Berry couldn't change her accent to save her acting career. I normally don't watch the cartoons because the previous ones always had something to do with a new Kitty Prydesque characters, which drowns every show with a newbie perspective shrouded in sentimental nonsense.

When did Storm almost pass out in the movies?
    sesquipedalophobe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cattlebattle: I might be thinking of Jean Grey. Women all look the same to me. I just find it very strange when Storm fans mention power levels they always leave out "acting abilities."

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By cattlebattle
    @sesquipedalophobe said:

@cattlebattle: I might be thinking of Jean Grey. Women all look the same to me. I just find it very strange when Storm fans mention power levels they always leave out "acting abilities."

LoL, well played 

As a fan of the X-Men movies I always find fans back themselves into a corner with Storm, sure she doesn't have an African accent, but Xavier was british, everything was different...its obviously a different universe, who cares is what I'm saying. Also, Storm was the most powerful and useful member in the first 2 X-Men films, I think the crappy writers forgot she existed in the 3rd film, "Storm create some fog!!" I mean really??, Why didn't they have her hit Magneto with some lightning....awesome leadership Wolverine
    sesquipedalophobe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cattlebattle: Come on now. The fog was the only way to let Halle Berry do something in the film, I guess.

maikkywin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By maikkywin

Hey don't diss anime-men !

"Cyycrops!"

Soulstealer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Soulstealer

Am I the only person that thinks this was a hell of a power feat... >_>

Also most X-men power sets don't translate well to film. You'd have nothing but special effects budget and all the actors would be pissed at their lack of pay checks. Also Last Stand just wasn't that great of a movie. It had it's moments, but really it was iffy at best. First Class, great movie, bad Emma casting choice. As for Shaw ordering her around, Shaw's movie powers were horrifying...I'd get him some ice too.

X-men Anime... long story short here, this is the X-men combined with common anime tropes and more than a few touches of Japanese culture. You want your X-men without it, read comics or watch the 90s animated series.

Rogue. I loved Anna Paquin. I love most things she's done. Ms. Marvel powers wouldn't make sense. Rogue is younger here, she's running away from her past and wolvie is the first person she meets that treats her halfway decently...if that doesn't say loads I don't know what will.

MVC. Storm is awesome still, you have to know how to play with her better now because you can't spam kill everything on screen. And this was done because people are tired to death of the blasted Mangeto, Storm, Sentinel cheap fest...and even now it's still used.

Virgil and Dante have huge move lists because, if you ever gone near DMC 3, they have huge move lists. Between the two of them it was like saying how can we scale these guys down and likewise they did that to the entire cast. As much as I love Betsy and Rogue, let me just say the lack of Mega Man is a bigger deal, heck even if they'd put X in a lot of people would have been satisfied. But no. So there you go.

Wolverine and the X-Men...it's Wolverine and the X-Men...as in Wolverine leading the X-Men...if you aren't him you're gonna get down played period. Also you seem to forget most powerful characters get the ol' I can't use my powers too much treatment because it's easier to swallow than showing that most of the team members could solo...the more powerful the team, the better your villains have to be or the team is gonna be jobbing. It goes both ways, but most people just let the jobbing go because you can't make writers try harder on the villain scale.

X-23 is not even close to the second best there is at what she does. Just like I take wolvie's claim with more than a grain of salt. At least Laura knows better. And like she's said many times she's not a fighter, she's an assassin. One shot, one kill, efficiency at it's most merciless. You don't compare a stiletto to a Zweihänder .

stambo42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By stambo42

@Squares said:

I adamantly refuse to see First Class, for multiple reasons; it's good to hear that I didn't miss much.

@stambo42: Well said!

The difference between movie and comic plots is pretty vast. For one, they both use different types of action sequences that focus on different, well, actions, which can make it difficult to depict a powerful comic character in a movie.

Truth!

Regarding the top part though, I actually really enjoyed First Class. I mean, Emma in the film doesn't reflect the Frost of the comics at all... and I'm a pretty big Emma fan, but I was able to let it go. It takes a ton of liberties with character histories and genealogies, and even falls into a regrettable racist movie cliche that doesn't belong in anything X-Men related... but other than that I really liked it. I go into these things accepting and expecting the comics to serve as little more than source material- so long as themes are preserved and a good story is told, I can deal. I really like what they did with Xavier, and actually getting to see him teach. I think the X-men really fit best into one of three times- The Cold War/ Civil Rights era, mid-Late 80s/early 90s... which is to say the height of the AIDS crisis in New York, and the present (whenever that happens to be). I was really happy to see one of those films get made. I don't think any studio would dare make one set during the AIDS crisis (even without directly referencing the disease)... which is a shame... but yeah. I liked seeing the X-men in the Cold War. Other than the racist cliche my only regret is that they transformed Erik too quickly, especially if they're meaning to make three movies. It didn't feel like a transformation at all, it happened so fast.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By cattlebattle
    @sesquipedalophobe said:

@cattlebattle: Come on now. The fog was the only way to let Halle Berry do something in the film, I guess.

true, Halle Berry makes great fog
    Avatar image for deactivated-5a162dd41dd64
    deactivated-5a162dd41dd64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 100

@stambo42: Yes, I did read about how awesome the depiction of the political climate was, but it all seems really beside the point. I mean, if you want to make a movie that talks about Cold War politics, the Fantastic Four would make more sense.

@sesquipedalophobe said:

@cattlebattle:Women all look the same to me."

I tip my hat to you, sir.

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By jhazzroucher

@soccersss said:

@spiderbat87 said:

LoL. I was going to mention that. When did Storm ever defeat Wonder Woman??? Storm would give Diana a decent fight but she is no match for the Amazon goddess imo.

Nevertheless I do agree that the X-girls tend to be under-powered in tv shows and movies. Then again almost everyone is underpowered when they go mainstream to make them more realistic. There was no way they were going do justice to the over-powered planets eating being Phoenix is supposed to be in X-men: The Last Stand

it was fan voting, from dc vs marvel crossover issue

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 12

#24  Edited By Saren

@spiderbat87 said:

poisonfleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By poisonfleur

@CitizenBane: Hey hey now! Don't go knocking Storm now. lol The companies have spoken.

Godabed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Godabed

Storm was pretty weak in all those movies, the casting was really bad, didn't pull off the accent at all, and she simply wasn't believable.
    Jean, i think Cate Blanchett would have put the fear of the phoenix in me. And also made the love between her and scott seem real, I just didn't believe those two as a couple.  What saved the first couple x-men were Stewart Patrick and prof. x, and James Madsden as Cyc, which they killed off in the third.... (Seriously what?)  The rest of the character were just wrong. Rogue was a cry baby, Wolverine, wasn't the angry troll we know and love, he was a hairy giant. worst crime of all Bobby wasn't funny.....  Mystique, had no backbone, where is the sneaky doublecrossing self interest B*tch whom would do anything for her daughter? Magneto,Ian was good.  Juggernaut.... lame, Sabertooth, was stupid.... (What?). Ladydeathstrike was cool, wish she had a personality. The guy who played toad was okay but he would have been a better pyro. WTF did they do to mastermind...

As far as the special effect, if you can't do something right, don't attempt it in the first place.  If they really couldn't give us the phoenix saga, don't. The Phoenix requires space, and Shi'ar, end of discussion. The best part in the first three movies was magneto moving the bridge, Angel's wings didn't seem quite right.  Storm's effects were on point, cyc was on point, even the claws were good.  Mystique minus the whole naked blue skin thing was good, why they had to make her naked, could be summed up to a boy's wetdream.

Best thing in weapon x,  Ryan Reynolds as deadpool before they messed that one completely up. that's it.
    I will not ever watch first class on principle.  Cuba mission crisis, the first class isn't the first class, wtf is Emma frost there, and why did they change people's powers? Seriously sooo much wrong with this, i'd rather watch snakes on a plane... seriously...

I think the studio sacrifice a lot to the gods of the box office and marketing to get paid off all the toys and crap they sold.  It definitely wasn't about the brand, or the fans, which is a complete shame because i had been waiting for these movies to come out since the 80's when there was rumors they would be made. Maybe if they found better directors ones actually interested in the characters and the brand that they would have made the characters we love so much better represented. Because they clearly weren't here.

xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#27  Edited By xerox_kitty

Jean repeatedly becomes the Phoenix, Storm is repeatedly a beautiful weather Goddess, Rogue is repeatedly a fiery-spirited strong girl (with the only real exception being X-3)... I really don't agree with this topic. The list in the OP could equally be applied to the majority of the male characters too.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By dernman
    @spiderbat87 said:
    Stopped reading after Storm defeats Wonder Woman
    Godabed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Godabed

@xerox_kitty: jean only in x-3 did she become the phoenix. But the story was not handled well at all. Storm when she did have lines or scenes was not believable at all. She couldn't even fake the accent well. But yeah she did use weather powers, she was no strong. Storm would not have cried over the senator. rogue was a winy through the whole series, and x-3 where she gave up her powers, isn't something rogue would have ever done, for bobby, unfunny bobby.... what?

I'll expland on this: Storm growing up both as a thief, goddess, and knowing of her royal heritage, would have never been as overtly sensitive about the subject someone dying. She is the mother figure of the x-men, but she has never been shown to hold back her opinion when she felt something needed to be said. When she speaks people listen, because they respect her that much. Also she wouldn't have gotten her ass kicked by toad like she did. Or Callisto for that matter, yeah her powers are what she is most known for, but she could easily go h2h., and go without her powers, her intelligent and cunning is what always got her out of tight situation. Hallie did not portray storm well, at least not all sides of her.

Phoenix: relied on Wolverine far too much, the connection between jean and scott were completely forgotten or maybe unknown to the people who made this movie. This is what made the relationship between scott and jean so disposable, for a jean & wolverine one, even though wolverine at this point had no history at all with Jean. But somehow she scanned his mind and fell in love with him.... right..

Rogue: was the worst out of all of the 3 main ladies in x, Rogue was a villain who fought the x-men on a regular basis and the avengers. In the movie she was portrayed and winy and clingy with wolverine, and bobby. When Rogue first joined the x-men she separated herself from them, she was a loner. Here they portrayed as she was jubilee, where her an wolverine are buddy buddy going off on an adventure. Even jubs wasn't winy and clingy, and she was one of the few women who could put Wolverine in his place. Rogue was not among those women. Jean, Storm, Jubs, Kitty (winy one). So no rogue was not rogue, she was more kitty pride then rogue.

THUNDERBOLT30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By THUNDERBOLT30

@poisonfleur: Agreed with prety much all of this lol. I hated Storm's portrayal in the anime and the movies. I am glad I got to see her the big screen but I hted that she had to be watered down (then again so did other characters).

redhood21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#31  Edited By redhood21

i think its more so cuz the characters they wanna show off are the more popular characters. many of the crap load of early 00's comic book movies were made with the idea of mass appeal not fan service so to your average person theyre like who the hell is rogue? or what does storm do? yes ive been asked that... as for mvc3 dark phoenix (if you can get max x factor) is the strongest character. x-23 was redundant.

x-men anime ive heard only bad things.

wolverine and the x-men.. name says it all bub.

tiggertoga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By tiggertoga

@redhood21: X-Men anime had a lot of great action throughout the series, and its entertaining but not much was invested on building up the characters.

I agree with this post, in X-Men anime, you would have never guessed Emma Frost was one of the world's most powerful telepath and if they didn't mention it. I don't think there was a single time that her telepathy actually worked during a fight scene, even after the scramblers were gone. Wolverine showed more leadership qualities than anyone else on the team, which should neverrrrr happen. He can be a great leader but out of Storm and Cyclops, he should rank 3rd.

Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#33  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
    @xerox_kitty said:

Jean repeatedly becomes the Phoenix, Storm is repeatedly a beautiful weather Goddess, Rogue is repeatedly a fiery-spirited strong girl (with the only real exception being X-3)... I really don't agree with this topic. The list in the OP could equally be applied to the majority of the male characters too.

This.  

One sided and pointless thread is one-sided and pointless. 
    poisonfleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By poisonfleur

@tiggertoga: Agreed. I am beginning to think this is a stunt done by Marvel to show the Wolverine is 'the best' x-men. Next x-men show needs to take an example from teen titans. Each character on that show had an interesting personality and equal screen time. I guess I am getting frustrated with Storm's last 2 tv show appearances. I really expected to be blown away by Storm in the Anime. I mean.. c'mon it's an anime, they push the limits. At least Emma could fight.. :)

Avatar image for iamlovewithin500
    Iamlovewithin500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Iamlovewithin500

Storms was watered down a lot...lol (A lot of people were)

She had some good power feats,but she didn't pull off all the crazy crap she could do in the comics at full potential.I mean I give Halle props.dumb asses talk shit about her because they think she's a bad actress,but she doesn't have Golden Globes and Oscars for no damn reason.Storm had a Kenyan Accent in X-1,but they dropped it,Halle DID NOT.... If there a problem,take that up with Singer and his crew.She definitely got a bigger push in X3 as Leader,but still....  

falls into a regrettable racist movie cliche that doesn't belong in anything X-Men related.. 

-___- *le sigh* 
    mrkareemruiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Avatar image for thetimestreamer
    theTimeStreamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrkareemruiz: please don't argue with people over that. it is not cannon. even if it was, it is beyond stupid to believe it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
    deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wolverine was the only protagonist portrayed as skilled and strong in the movies. The other characters, male and female alike, had their tiny moments but were very weak or even idiotic. They weren't portrayed right from the start or just blatantly ignored to give Wolverine more lines/screentime. What they did to Rogue especially was a travesty. The females that were antagonists were portrayed much more strongly, being able to hold their own against a number of different opponents. Asides from Rogue, I was more annoyed with how some of the other male characters (Cyclops especially) were pushed to the side to make more room for Wolverine. I didn't mind Jean in the first two movies but her Phoenix transformation could have been done a lot better. Storm was only terrible because Halle Berry is. I think Shadowcat was done pretty well, but I never really cared for the character anyway. I don't remember much about Emma Frost, I do remember being really let down by how she was defeated.

time1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 104

#39  Edited By time1

@poisonfleur said:

In the movies the x-ladies got screwed over quite a bit in media. What is up with this. These Ladies are some of the most powerful women in all comics.. Storm defeated Wonder Woman, Phoenix destroys Planets, Emma is the World's current best telepath. Please Media, let's stop making them weak just because they are girls.

X-men Movies:

Storm: Had little screen time and had a mousey performance in the first two movies. She was cool in the Last Stand. Although I was hoping for more.

Jean:Had a decent presence although in the last movie, there was no Phoenix and she had an underwhelming part for being the main villain/character.

Rogue: Was just a normal girl with problems about touching. Had no southern sass/personality and didn't have any action scenes.

Emma: Didn't really look like Emma. Didn't sound like Emma. Heck didn't even act like Emma. For example: When Shaw told her to get some ice for his drink.. I found it crazy that she actually did. And the actress was the worst in the series by far.

Angel: I liked Angel. Although a LOT of people don't like her for various reasons.

Psylocke: A sad cameo...

Moira, Deathstrike, Callisto, Shadowcat and Mystique: Where Great and very well executed.

Wolverine and the X-men:

Storm: Storm get's knocked out EVERY Episode... heck she even got knocked out in the first episode.. That NEVER happens in the comics.

Emma Frost: Well done. She may have been the most interesting character in the whole show.

Psylocke: Got her butt kicked by Emma in one episode. And Betty was randomly a bad guy again...?

Shadowcat: Okay I guess.

X-men Anime:

Storm: Lovely design and concept but 2 huge problems!!

1) Storm weakened from barely using her powers. She even passes out. So much for being named Storm.. *sigh*

2) Storm's voice acting: ABYSMAL! Storm was never a sassy street voice. Saying catchphrases like 'I Got This!' (That voice acting made me want to throw myself in traffic...)

Emma: Great look and design as well. But her voice sounds just like Lightning from final fantasy xiii

Jean: Dead most of the time, But she remained loyal to her character.

Rogue: Had a cute cameo.

Marvel Vs Capcom 3

Pheonix: That health bar!! ;P

Storm: Was possibly the best character of MvC2. Now she isn't as good. It's strange how Ryu, Virgil, Dante, and Amy have these huge move lists, and Storm can't even call down a lightning bolt..

Rogue & Psylocke: Didn't make it back.

X-23: 'Is the second best at what she does'

X-men Destiny

Ahh-- forget it. That game was so bad it's not even worth mentioning..

It's not just the movies, cartoons and computer games where the X-ladies have been poorly treated. It's the comics as well. For the past 12 years between 2000 and 2012 the X-ladies have been treated poorly.

They sent Jean Grey packing during Morrison run., she was absent for over 9 years. Now we have a younger version of her, not the old Jean that we once knew. Jean is a teen and she not as powerful as she once was.

Then there is Psylocke, she was killed off in 2001, then she briefly return in 2006 and bonded with Rachel, then she ended up in that title ‘Exiles’, a rubbish series by the way. So she didn’t become major player in the X-Men world until 2009, when she came back in the Sisterhood story arc . Psylocke has been poorly treated by marvel for 9 years now, which is really shocking, considering how popular she was back in the day.

Then there is Storm, who marry Black Panther, then became a background character for about fours years in half. Having less voice or no voice in the decision making in X-Men teams. Then there is Polaris and Rachel who ending up in space for about three years and a half. Then there Jubilee, can’t really say much about Jubilee, she been poorly portray in comics, ever since she left the X-Men team in the 90.s Then they return her and make her a vampire and then she joint some sort of vampire team..

Then there is Kitty and Rogue and both of these characters have been poorly treated by the writers.

Rogue had her own series, which was great and everything. X-Men legacy was a good series. However, she not as powerful as she used to be, she lost Ms Marvel powers, so she not as strong, as she once was. She not as fun as she used to be, her personality has change a quite abit. She has been demoted by Cyclops. She went from being a leader, to a mentor, to being a teacher. She dated Magneto and instead of Gambit. Like I said before, poorly treated by Marvel and now she joined The Avengers, could it get any worse for her.

Then there is Kitty, her rivalry with Emma Frost was really interesting in Joss Whedon run. I also think her runion with Colossus was really interesting . Then she ended up in that bullet and she was gone for about a year. Then she return and couldn't touch anyone, and then her and Colossus broke up.

As you can see the X- ladies haven't had it easy. I also like to point out that most computers games, movies and cartoons are created by men, Men only really care about male characters. That's why marvel most popular characters are men. Is also the reason why X-Men comics have been centre around Cyclops and Wolverine for so long. When X-Men comics became center around Cyclops, Wolverine and Emma Frost, the franchise went downhill. X-Men comics are getting better now cause, they decided to focuse on the X-Ladies now. Who would thought the X-ladies would be getting there own title. Also I get the impression that DC care more about there females characters then Marvel does. Which is why so many DC females have there own comics. Not mention, how long has birds of prey been running for, how old is that series..

AgeofHurricane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

Yeah, the women generally tend to get the short end of the stick. Although Marvel's evidently trying to change that, hopefully they're not too late.

Avatar image for phoenixofthetides
    PhoenixoftheTides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

To be honest, Chris Claremont and John Byrne were very unique in making the female cast members powerful - most of the X-Men's various writers tended to focus on the male members, so the only reason so many of us have an image of the X-Men being such an empowering place for female characters was due to Byrne's influence and because of Claremont's unprecedented decade plus long run. It was those writers who really put their stamp on certain characters such as Sue Storm, Jean Grey and Ororo Munroe, but in general, I don't think the superhero genre treats women that well and I read other series, like "Artesia", "Spera" or other independent comics for more fully developed female characters.

Veitha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I agree, especially about Emma, I don't even know if I should call her Emma lol

GonnaRain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By GonnaRain

It happens with some of the male characters as well.

Still, First Class Emma for example was doing OK as a Telepath (could've done better in my opinion) but her Diamond Form was plain awful, the fact that a newbie Magneto was about to break her body was BS. The version from Origins movie was no good either, specially since it was pretty much a totally different character with the same name and one of he powers.

Wolverine and the X-Men, as well as her anime counterpart, I liked.

creulhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

papad1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

Yeah, the women generally tend to get the short end of the stick. Although Marvel's evidently trying to change that, hopefully they're not too late.

Well with Storm, Mystique, Rogue, Kitty Pryde, and Blink cast in X-Men Days of Future Past... here's hoping the female cast brings their A-game!

time1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 104

To be honest, Chris Claremont and John Byrne were very unique in making the female cast members powerful - most of the X-Men's various writers tended to focus on the male members, so the only reason so many of us have an image of the X-Men being such an empowering place for female characters was due to Byrne's influence and because of Claremont's unprecedented decade plus long run. It was those writers who really put their stamp on certain characters such as Sue Storm, Jean Grey and Ororo Munroe, but in general, I don't think the superhero genre treats women that well and I read other series, like "Artesia", "Spera" or other independent comics for more fully developed female characters.

I think your right. I been reading Witchblade for the last couple of years now. Sara Pezzini is a strong female lead. I also started to read more DC titles since the new 52, cause they show more attentions to the females characters.

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for illyanarasputin
    IllyanaRasputin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#47  Edited By IllyanaRasputin

Emma Frost was a failure in XMFC. However loved her in Wolverine and the X-Men :D

Ultra_beleco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrkareemruiz: please don't argue with people over that. it is not cannon. even if it was, it is beyond stupid to believe it.

Batman beat superman sometimes and nobody ever made a big deal about that.

Polarity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah the x-men books were ahead of the curve in the 80s. The x-men movies weren't.

Avatar image for thetimestreamer
    theTimeStreamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ultra_beleco: yes they do and that is even more ridiculous than storm beating ww.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.