Follow

X-Men

Team » X-Men appears in 13416 issues.

The X-Men are a superhero team of mutants founded by Professor Charles Xavier. They are dedicated to helping fellow mutants and sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them.

Move over Wolverine, it's my time to shine!

Thunderscream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Thunderscream

If you could take 1 character from the X-Men who you think could fill Wolverine's face-time in the comics if he disappeared from existence, who do you think has the presence, fan-base (or the possibility of building one) and overall well-rounded bad-@$$ery to stand in on a solo title, in every x-title and hold his/her own alongside the Avengers? Storm, Gambit, Nightcrawler, Rogue, Emma, Psylocke, Colossus....they've all had solo titles/one-shots......but none has compared to the universal appeal.

In short, which X-Man could reach Wolverine's level of fame and acclaim? 

xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#2  Edited By xerox_kitty

Deadpool is officially an X now, and he's already in multiple titles... ;)

Thunderscream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Thunderscream
    @xerox-kitty: He's definitely a contender, especially after the recent, mega cover exposure and the intro of the Deadpool Corp. 

I was considering Cannonball. Ol' Sam Guthrie's got strong family ties, a complicated love life (Lila Cheney, Boomer, Magma, Serafina), leadership chops, no comprehension of his possible immortality and what it means to be one of the last Externals (something I'd like to see explored more thoroughly) and he's got that southern charm to fall back on. I don't know if he's ever had a solo title, but I can see him skyrocketing to the top if given the opportunity and even fitting in with the Avengers....not to mention his powers give him the advantage of being in several places within a short timespan. 

Future Cannonball
    Future Cannonball
    zombietag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By zombietag

im gonna go w/ gambit. i think his solo stuff didnt do him justice, and i think he could be made way cooler.

Avatar image for defaultdefaultdefault
    defaultdefaultdefault

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

@xerox-kitty said:
    " Deadpool is officially an X now, and he's already in multiple titles... ;) "
    this and in all seriousness. it can't even really be argued because he actually is moving Wolverine over as it is.
    after the first films worldwide release the second most popular character after Wolverine was Magneto, and they
    could easily buck him up to that level of fame without even trying if they wanted to.
    jordama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

#6  Edited By jordama

In many years, cause wolverine ain't dying anytime soon, I think Anole could, he is getting a large fan base. 

Thunderscream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Thunderscream
    @jordama: I'm so glad he got named before Pixie. 

Dani Moonstar's another interesting possibility. She's depowered, but still formidable with the potential to delve in shamanism along with her hunter/tracker skills and archery. She's also a born leader with strong ties with the Valkyrie mounted on her flying horse, Brightwind. 
    eldestrisk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 9

#8  Edited By eldestrisk

I'll rather no one gets ruined as Wolverine was. =S

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By InnerVenom123
    @eldestrisk said:
    "I'll rather no one gets ruined as Wolverine was. =S "
    jordama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By jordama
    @Thunderscream said:
    " @jordama: I'm so glad he got named before Pixie.  Dani Moonstar's another interesting possibility. She's depowered, but still formidable with the potential to delve in shamanism along with her hunter/tracker skills and archery. She's also a born leader with strong ties with the Valkyrie mounted on her flying horse, Brightwind.  "

I loike dani but I don't think she has the fan base to become that strong marketing wise.She has a bad girl (as in rough not sluty) side but it is very inconsistant. We she the mother and nuturer in New X-men but now she is all guns an ammo.  

I think Anole, Pixie and Armor are getting shoved down the readers throat.  
    Anole usually just a cameo with a clever line. He's gay thats all they are good for in a story right? That was a joke don't hate. 
    Armor has been jammed down the astonishing throat for awhile, she is very 2 dimensional but they are trying so hard to make her better. 
    Pixie is just pixie. They haven't developed her much just going around and around with her. 

I think right now none could carry the amount Wolverine carries, I don't think any one character should. Going through the list of characters, not many seem dynamic enough to have 15 books just about them. MOst of the X-Men can barely get panel time on the current books. Even though Rogue may be getting there, plus she has her Avengers ties.   
    Thunderscream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Thunderscream
    @jordama: Ok, I see where you're coming from. How about this then: Who is the "Wolverine" among each incarnation of X-Teams? (i.e. New Mutants, X-Factor, X-Force, Generation X, Young X-Men) Who's the lone ranger with the rough exterior, "best at what they do" bad-A, mutha trucka in each lot?  

My picks, 
    New Mutants: Magik  
    X-Factor: Shatterstar
    X-Force: Deadpool 
    Generation X: M 
    Young X-Men: Hellion
    Jubilantlad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Jubilantlad
    @jordama: But what would make for a very interesting storyline with Pixie could be delving into her possible Fairie heritage which was speculated at her in mini, or having her spend time with Dr. Strange, with her learning magic from him.
    logansgirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By logansgirl
    I'm gonna go with Gambit because one of the things I love most about Wolverine is that he has a certain charming aspect about him and Gambit,while it is a different sort of charm,has that quality as well.
    yankeemanf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By yankeemanf

i think the obv choice should be cyclops but i dont like the way they have his personality much if they made him a lil more comical he could be a great character but i think nightcrawler if done well it could be great

Chesapeake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#15  Edited By Chesapeake
    Gambit is a good choice but he had his own solo series. I will like to see some new like Monet or Multiple man
    jordama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By jordama
    @Jubilantlad:
    I never get the pm when you @ me. 

I thnk as of right now, canon is disregarding the mini because it really did nothing but said they were willing huff some dust. bunch of mutie addicts there ;) 

Fellfromgrace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Fellfromgrace

I like Iceman he is capable of being a power house, and has a long history.

jordama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By jordama
    @Fellfromgrace said:
    "I like Iceman he is capable of being a power house, and has a long history."

I think he reached apont where he will never really get to that level of popularity
    Fellfromgrace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Fellfromgrace
    @jordama: I think he reached apont where he will never really get to that level of popularity " 

That is true but they have never really pushed him to the front and used his powers properly. He has potential but I agree with you, it is probably to late for him.

jordama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By jordama

It's sad cuz I really like him.
    Avatar image for violet_eyed_dragon
    Violet-Eyed Dragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jordama: not to be rude, but is that just because hes gay or does he really have enough of a back story and personality to be as popular as wolverine?
    Lustwish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Lustwish

If they built him up enough, and used him properly and made him important...I would really like to see them take Iceman to the next level.  

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for hydrabob--defunct
    hydrabob--defunct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I think for someone on the X-Men to go solo and be successful they kinda need to be a loner 
    I think Rogue, Gambit, Angel, and probably other characters we don't know a whole lot about, could hold their only solo title

jordama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By jordama
    @Violet-Eyed Dragon said:
    " @jordama: not to be rude, but is that just because hes gay or does he really have enough of a back story and personality to be as popular as wolverine? "

Of the x-kids, he is the one that makes the most cameos, probaly tied with pixie. Anole has the ability to go very mainstream. The fact that he is gay is not even crucial for his character, we don't see him in a relationship, or really even talking about it without it being for comic relief. Further more he has had some of the best lines and can be hilarious. His sexualality is not the only reason why I like him, I didn't suggest him for that and I don't like him for that. I like him because he has a personality that even when handled by a bad writer can still be great, that even with all the bad art, he still looks awesome, and because at the end of the day, he knows what it means to be an X-Men and with the few kids left, not to many truely kknow that.
    Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 6

#25  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt

Hellion

jesusjoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By jesusjoe

Well, character's who could just show up and bail everyone out when needed ala Wolverine, yet still be disliked by teammates and preoccupied with their own thing? Namor and Longshot. The 'technically a mutant, but no-one thinks of him as one' X-Man and the  'technically bot a mutant, but everyone thinks of him as one' X-Man.

Or, speaking of X-Man... Cable? Everyone loves Cable! Except everyone who doesn't... but they said the same thing about Deadpool, and now he's everywhere. And everyone who hated him loves him, and everyone who loved him hates him, and everyone still hates Rob Liefeld. And while we're on Liefeld creations, I have to second @Thunderscream about Shatterstar; he's gone from being so bad he's good so so good he's freaking awesome, which is definitely a Wolverine move (although it only took Wolvie 3 issues, not 15 years...)

I can't second Iceman though; I think single 'gimmick' character's like him work best as supporting. Not that character isn't paramount, but can you think of any really kick-ass characters with a single power they're identified with? Wolverine has Samurai training+Adamantium+Healing Factor+Really old. Iceman, he's just too predictable in a fight. Now, if they gave him some sort of shoulder mounted laser cannon it would... no, that would suck.

RLAAMJR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By RLAAMJR

I'd still say Storm. I think the reason why they didn't give Storm an ongoing series is because Thor is already there.

Avatar image for metatron_da_don
    Metatron_Da_Don

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#28  Edited By Metatron_Da_Don
    Onyxx yes give him a backstory and an increased power set
    Thunderscream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Thunderscream
    @Metatron_Da_Don said:
    " Onyxx yes give him a backstory and an increased power set "
    We could get an exclusive look at his bedwetting ;P 

Kitty Pride's got a pretty massive following, even alot of exposure in the media (Heroes, No Ordinary Family, etc.) Her Ultimate counterpart even had the chops to duo with Spider-Man (This made me super happy cuz I always thought they'd make a cute couple)
    Thunderscream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Thunderscream

Now I'm thinking the new vamped up Jubilee or maybe Madrox

lorex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#31  Edited By lorex

I think Iceman could rise higher than he has if a writer would actually take time to give him some character development beyond the easy go lucky joker and develop his powers. He is suppose to be omega level powerful, to me that means he could potentially 
    end the world, or at least destroy a large portion of it. Even when others have taken over his body  and shown him different uses and potential for his powers he has never that I can recall been depicted as being capable of destroying much of anything.  

If you were looking  for someone different that most casual comic fans would not know than Magik would probably be my choice. Here is someone able to make the hard choices like Cyclops, is capable of killing like Wolverine and when necessary can pull off incredible  manipulation like Sinister or Selene. If being a hero isn't in the cards for her she has potential to make a good villain. The only thing would be she would have to be built up over time as most comic fans outside of the X-books are unfarmilar with her, but she has a ton  of untapped potential.

jordama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By jordama
    @Thunderscream: I see Jubes making a comeback. Reinventing herself may have saved her from staying in comicbook limbo forever. 

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.