Most Shocking moment in the X-Men Comics?

#1 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (5768 posts) - - Show Bio

What was the most shocking moment to you in the X-Men comics? Mine's would have to be:

1. Colossus killing Riptide by snapping his neck in Mutant Massacre.
2. The Phoenix Five being first revealed.
3. In a nightmare dream, Kitty Pryde phases an axe through Colossus' head (this was only a nightmare that Kitty had during Joss Whedon's run on Astonishing X-Men)
4. Jean Grey destroying planets during the "Dark Phoenix" Saga.
5. Most of the X-Men being killed in the dystopian future in "Days of Future Past"

#2 Posted by FourthDeity (2234 posts) - - Show Bio

Jean grey's really shocked me.

#3 Posted by Blood1991 (8098 posts) - - Show Bio

Nightcrawler dying... I just didn't think they could go through with it.

#4 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (5768 posts) - - Show Bio
@Blood1991 said:

Nightcrawler dying... I just didn't think they could go through with it.

Yeah, that was shocking too.
#5 Posted by EnSabahNurX (2313 posts) - - Show Bio

Xorn being magneto(even if it's a continuity mess)O_O

Cable dying(even though he didn't >_>)

#6 Posted by poisonfleur (2923 posts) - - Show Bio

Storm when she went punk with the mohawk AND THEN lost her powers.

Mday's Aftermath

Kitty phasing a bullet through the earth

#7 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (5768 posts) - - Show Bio
@poisonfleur said:

Mday's Aftermath

Oh yeah! Kitty phasing the bullet was shocking to me too!
#8 Posted by poisonfleur (2923 posts) - - Show Bio

@Rabbitearsblog said:

@poisonfleur said:

Mday's Aftermath

Oh yeah! Kitty phasing the bullet was shocking to me too!

RIGHT!? I am not the biggest Kitty fan, But Sh*t just got Real when that happened! My mind was blown. lol

#9 Posted by jubilee042 (1353 posts) - - Show Bio

When he came on board

#10 Posted by tomchu (522 posts) - - Show Bio

1. "Alright Cyclops, X-Force is over." *turns around* "Alright, We are the new X-Force! The Uncanny X-Force!!"

2. Anything Whedon pulled out of his bag of tricks in his Astonishing X-Men run.

3. "A part of me will always be with you..." "JEAN NOOOOO!!!!!!!"

4. Population of Genosha: 16 Million > 0

5. Anything Chuck Austen has done.

#11 Posted by Or35ti (1101 posts) - - Show Bio

All the revelations of Astonishing X-Men (Whedon's run)

#12 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (5768 posts) - - Show Bio

@Or35ti said:

All the revelations of Astonishing X-Men (Whedon's run)

Yeah, there were so many shocking moments in Joss Whedon's run of Astonishing X-Men. That's what made his run so awesome!!

#13 Edited by PhoenixoftheTides (3443 posts) - - Show Bio

Cyclops killing Magneto, and then later getting shot through the head during "Ultimate Ultimatum".

#14 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (5768 posts) - - Show Bio

@PhoenixoftheTides said:

Cyclops killing Magneto, and then later getting shot through the head during "Ultimate Ultimatum".

This was in the Ultimate Universe?

#15 Posted by Remi (613 posts) - - Show Bio

None of them...

#16 Posted by oraclefyre (936 posts) - - Show Bio

@tomchu said:

Chuck Austen...Undesirable Number 1.

#17 Posted by AgeofHurricane (7257 posts) - - Show Bio

@jubilee042 said:

When he came on board

He makes me wanna cry. :(.

#18 Posted by KainScion (2973 posts) - - Show Bio

@poisonfleur said:

Mday's Aftermath

storm getting a haircut and kitty phasing a bullet through a planet........ both shocked you the same...... you just wanted to throw storm getting a haircut in there didnt you.

#19 Posted by Rickbarry (1743 posts) - - Show Bio

When Northstar was revealed to be gay. -Puts on sarcasm hat.-

#20 Posted by PhoenixoftheTides (3443 posts) - - Show Bio

@Rabbitearsblog: Yes. Jeph Loeb brutalized the Ultimate Marvel Universe and killed a bunch of people for no reason in order to have shockingly gory deaths.

#21 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (5768 posts) - - Show Bio

@PhoenixoftheTides said:

@Rabbitearsblog: Yes. Jeph Loeb brutalized the Ultimate Marvel Universe and killed a bunch of people for no reason in order to have shockingly gory deaths.

That was probably the dumbest moment in the comics.

#22 Posted by IllyanaRasputin (1088 posts) - - Show Bio

Seeing Magik return in House of M ... <3

#23 Posted by lorex (939 posts) - - Show Bio

For me was when Angel was found crucified in the mutant massacre we pretty shocking.

#24 Edited by poisonfleur (2923 posts) - - Show Bio

@KainScion said:

@poisonfleur said:

Mday's Aftermath

storm getting a haircut and kitty phasing a bullet through a planet........ both shocked you the same...... you just wanted to throw storm getting a haircut in there didnt you.

I never said they shocked me the same. But yes, I'll give some love to Storm on this one. And I know, I know-- She has a lot of fans on here.

IMO I'd rank it about the same as Colossus killing Riptide.

The reason I say this is I thought it was one of the most visually shocking changes (that have been done correctly) ever done to any of the x-men. Imo, it's in my top 5 of shocking character design changes. I also believe it's impact broke the mold on how the women of Marvel should/could look. At the time it opened doors for artists to draw other women in Marvel more edgy, punk, leather clad, visually darker, 'bad girls'-like. Image is important. :)

#25 Posted by poisonfleur (2923 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't know if this is shocking or a wtf moment---

When Psylocke got killed. I was pretty shocked when she died. It was a bit of a let down too. :/

#26 Posted by KainScion (2973 posts) - - Show Bio

@poisonfleur: 1. its hair. meh. 2. bad girls? most of them had wolverine hair at that time. how much more bad-ass did they need to get? WOLVERINE hair. storm has a lot of great moments but not really shocking imho. beating calisto to lead the morlocks awesome, beating wolverine in sparring. but what surprised me (in a bad way), close to shock, was the mini series with black panther as kids. and what happened in that book. i was like 'they pulled this out of their asses to make the wedding look more plausible.'

#27 Edited by jcbart (341 posts) - - Show Bio

Oh god, where to start?

I'm going to go with ones in the past decade, since I've only been reading comics for that long, and hence knew all the other shockers and just considered them as part of the X-Men's past.

1) Xorn revealed to be Magneto

2) "And now, at last.... We have found a cure."

3) Danger

4) "But you're no match.... FOR THE WHITE QUEEN!"

5) "No more mutants."

6) Polaris is Pestilence

7) "I'm sorry, Emma, but it's like you said... I don't have any claws."

8) "... It's a bullet." and Kitty Pryde consequently phasing it through the Earth (probably my favourite moment in comic book history)

9) The End of Greys

10) Wolverine revealed to be mutilating Matsu'o on the anniversary of Mariko's death

11) Bastion kills Nightcrawler

12) "I'm ready, Nathan." Hope kills Bastion

13) "Well then, little spirit. Prepare..." Emma sees a vision at the end of Second Coming and the Five Lights are activated

14) Fantomex shoots Kid Apocalypse

15) Fantomex growing a clone of Apocalypse in The World

16) Psylocke kills her brother

oh, oh and of course

17) Kitty finds Colossus

#28 Posted by poisonfleur (2923 posts) - - Show Bio

@KainScion said:

@poisonfleur: 1. its hair. meh. 2. bad girls? most of them had wolverine hair at that time. how much more bad-ass did they need to get? WOLVERINE hair. storm has a lot of great moments but not really shocking imho. beating calisto to lead the morlocks awesome, beating wolverine in sparring. but what surprised me (in a bad way), close to shock, was the mini series with black panther as kids. and what happened in that book. i was like 'they pulled this out of their asses to make the wedding look more plausible.'

Sure Storm had great moments in Marvel. I just find that moment of change so drastic and cutting edge. The hair, the attitude, the punk/street outfit, and then the loss of powers. Also after that change it seemed like other women in x-men brought out drastic changes to their costumes with hip, edgy, and street-like parallels (Rouge & Dazzler).

I rank Storm's Punk phase among other visually shocker such as Marvel Girl to Phoenix, Goku to Super Saiyan, and Dragonair to Dragonite.

But seriously the whole Black Panther & Storm Mini series was okay, but very forced and it didn't feel natural from a reader's stand point. I don't exactly agree with Marvel in making them a couple this way.. or better yet-- a couple at all.

#29 Posted by KainScion (2973 posts) - - Show Bio

@poisonfleur: dont worry. by the looks of things, they wont be married for long. unless they were just play fighting.

#30 Edited by poisonfleur (2923 posts) - - Show Bio

@KainScion: Don't get my hopes up. lol

@jcbart said:

Oh god, where to start?

I'm going to go with ones in the past decade, since I've only been reading comics for that long, and hence knew all the other shockers and just considered them as part of the X-Men's past.

3) Danger

Yes! Those were good!!! All apart of Joss's Astonishing run too. :)

Add this one to this list:

Jean enters and says: 'Don't tell me. You can explain...'

#31 Posted by oraclefyre (936 posts) - - Show Bio

Nightcrawler's death. I can't believe he died.

#32 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (5768 posts) - - Show Bio
@jcbart said:

Oh god, where to start?

1) Xorn revealed to be Magneto

3) Danger

5) "No more mutants."

6) Polaris is Pestilence

7) "I'm sorry, Emma, but it's like you said... I don't have any claws."

8) "... It's a bullet." and Kitty Pryde consequently phasing it through the Earth (probably my favourite moment in comic book history)

9) The End of Greys

10) Wolverine revealed to be mutilating Matsu'o on the anniversary of Mariko's death

11) Bastion kills Nightcrawler

12) "I'm ready, Nathan." Hope kills Bastion

13) "Well then, little spirit. Prepare..." Emma sees a vision at the end of Second Coming and the Five Lights are activated

14) Fantomex shoots Kid Apocalypse

15) Fantomex growing a clone of Apocalypse in The World

16) Psylocke kills her brother

oh, oh and of course

17) Kitty finds Colossus

Oh yeah! That moment was really shocking to me, especially since Colossus died not too long ago.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.