Follow

X-Men

Team » X-Men appears in 13410 issues.

The X-Men are a superhero team of mutants founded by Professor Charles Xavier. They are dedicated to helping fellow mutants and sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them.

More mutants should go solo.

Silver_Raven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

#1  Edited By Silver_Raven

I know it is the nature of Marvel's mutants to be group oriented and the X-men have so few breakout characters who can support their own solo books but why can't the X-books establish that in-universe some mutants are solo (or even duo) superheroes. I would love it if there were cameos of mutants just saving the world on their own. Many mutants are so powerful why would they join a team if they had the choice. I am sure some would want to live normal lives but for those that aren't X-men what is there to stop them from being heroes. If only X-men Unlimited or some other anthology book was out there to tell those kind of stories and to shed some light on some obscure characters.

Look at M. She doesn't need the X-men or X-factor for that matter but she is stuck being a supporting player when she should be a Marvel diva. She is so superior she should be a world class hero like Captain Marvel.

Gambit seems to like company and has great connectionsvwith many X-men but sometimes I feel he is better off being a rogue. That is why I am really enjoying his current solo book. But he like Wolverine has an alternative lifestyle that lends to solo work.

Then we have someone like Lifeguard, who has her own danger sense like some friendly neighborhood Spiderman, and can be patrolling and protecting any city she wants. Her powers are so helpful they might be better suited as a solo superhero.

Who else could go solo?

XsPectre28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By XsPectre28

rachel, lifeguard, slipsteam, adam x, & thunderbird 3 should leave the x-men & reform the starjammers. since lifeguard & slipstream are supposed shi'ar royalty i think it would be interesting when they cross paths with the Imperial guard but also i think its time for rachel to again expand her horizons

lorex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#3  Edited By lorex

@Silver_Raven said:

I know it is the nature of Marvel's mutants to be group oriented and the X-men have so few breakout characters who can support their own solo books but why can't the X-books establish that in-universe some mutants are solo (or even duo) superheroes. I would love it if there were cameos of mutants just saving the world on their own. Many mutants are so powerful why would they join a team if they had the choice. I am sure some would want to live normal lives but for those that aren't X-men what is there to stop them from being heroes. If only X-men Unlimited or some other anthology book was out there to tell those kind of stories and to shed some light on some obscure characters.

Look at M. She doesn't need the X-men or X-factor for that matter but she is stuck being a supporting player when she should be a Marvel diva. She is so superior she should be a world class hero like Captain Marvel.

Gambit seems to like company and has great connectionsvwith many X-men but sometimes I feel he is better off being a rogue. That is why I am really enjoying his current solo book. But he like Wolverine has an alternative lifestyle that lends to solo work.

Then we have someone like Lifeguard, who has her own danger sense like some friendly neighborhood Spiderman, and can be patrolling and protecting any city she wants. Her powers are so helpful they might be better suited as a solo superhero.

Who else could go solo?

I do agree that M should have a higher profile in the Marvel universe, her powers are great. She has some of old Emma's snobish arrogance but under it cares about things and people. I think she could do well outside the confines of the X-Men.

dangallant984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By dangallant984

@Silver_Raven said:

First off, I love M; she's my favourite Gen.X character, and second only to Madrox as my favourite X-factor character -in my mind, she's one of the greats.

That said, I think you may be forgetting the personality factor when you advocate her to have the status of a solo hero. Certainly she is as, if not more, powerful than most solo heroes, and probably just as clever as any of them too; but even the best, most powerful or crafty heroes generally have a supporting cast of characters to help or balance them; M's supporting cast has only ever been other super-powered characters. To me, that says a lot about her personality and how she sees herself.

Some people can be capable of greatness, and yet still never achieve it without the support of others. In my mind, George Harrison was a genius, yet, would anyone know who he was if it hadn't been for John Lennon and George Martin? M seems to hold herself to her own measure, but she has really only ever measured herself to far less powerful and/or capable characters- in that context, she has ever been great, but has she ever done anything on her own? To me, she seems like a character who needs more mortal characters, both to ground her (and give her a sense of subjectivity) and to reaffirm her feeling of superiority (without which, she would not need to be grounded -a bit cyclical, but not unlike many great heroes).

I would probably read any book with M in it, but would be by far the least interested in her having solo adventures; it just seems out of character.

Aero_gt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Aero_gt

Gambit yes with his Thieves Guild and Maruaders background on top of not really being such a big part of the x-men like Scott or the older and younger original 5. Magneto also needs to be a part of a team despite his book. Psylocke could probably hold a solo with her weird history and being an X-force member. Namor, well since Aquaman is actaully good, but add to the whole world disliking him on top of his magnificient attitude it would be more interesting to me from the better Mariner.

Silver_Raven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Silver_Raven

@dangallant984 said:

@Silver_Raven said:

First off, I love M; she's my favourite Gen.X character, and second only to Madrox as my favourite X-factor character -in my mind, she's one of the greats.

That said, I think you may be forgetting the personality factor when you advocate her to have the status of a solo hero. Certainly she is as, if not more, powerful than most solo heroes, and probably just as clever as any of them too; but even the best, most powerful or crafty heroes generally have a supporting cast of characters to help or balance them; M's supporting cast has only ever been other super-powered characters. To me, that says a lot about her personality and how she sees herself.

Some people can be capable of greatness, and yet still never achieve it without the support of others. In my mind, George Harrison was a genius, yet, would anyone know who he was if it hadn't been for John Lennon and George Martin? M seems to hold herself to her own measure, but she has really only ever measured herself to far less powerful and/or capable characters- in that context, she has ever been great, but has she ever done anything on her own? To me, she seems like a character who needs more mortal characters, both to ground her (and give her a sense of subjectivity) and to reaffirm her feeling of superiority (without which, she would not need to be grounded -a bit cyclical, but not unlike many great heroes).

I would probably read any book with M in it, but would be by far the least interested in her having solo adventures; it just seems out of character.

I can't say i disagree with that assessment of Monet, but i also think she enough of back story and real life connections away from her X-career to work in any field she wants. She has the means and genetic gifts to do be successful in whatever she wants to do. Maybe she could starting her own personal security business, restart X-Corporation in the city of her choice, or follow in her father's footsteps as an ambassador. She was also a Vanity Fair cover girl so that must give her some celebrity status, like Dazzler. Yet, she has been slumming it with X-Factor, which has given her character a nice depth, but i feel if she was in her element she could shine in a different way and have more influence then she does now. Especially now that there are new mutants emerging again, the world needs someone like M to create good public relations. Maybe she can be the UN's mutant ambassador. (Think the mutant Angelina Jolie!). She can travel the world, meeting new mutants, hob-nobbing with influential leaders, going to elite parties, and fighting crime all along the way.

The more I think about it Marvel really should consider giving M a solo book. She could be the super heroic and haughty princess with a heart of gold to match her luxurious lifestyle. I think concept would be so amusing and refreshing to see explored along with the more serious topics of humanitarian issues and geo-political conflicts. Her supporting cast can include her sisters, her father, a manager/hanlder, an assistent, a new love interest, and cameos from some of her friends like Banshee, Longshot, Darwin, Jubilee, Husk, Chamber and Penance/Hollow. And her primary villain can be her brother Marius. Monet has a such a rich back story that can lend any type of story.There is also the added benefit of portraying a woman of colour in position that is not in marginalized or stereotypical. Imagine how exciting it would be for young girls of colour to see a comic book with such an aspirational character in the starring role.

Silver_Raven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Silver_Raven

@Aero_gt said:

Gambit yes with his Thieves Guild and Maruaders background on top of not really being such a big part of the x-men like Scott or the older and younger original 5. Magneto also needs to be a part of a team despite his book. Psylocke could probably hold a solo with her weird history and being an X-force member. Namor, well since Aquaman is actaully good, but add to the whole world disliking him on top of his magnificient attitude it would be more interesting to me from the better Mariner.

Psylocke has been such a break out as of late. It would be cool to see her fly solo but with her history and supporting characters in her life. If it wasn't for Storm i would think look at the current UXF as her solo book. Maybe it can turn into that later.

And a book about Namor and his underwater world would be cool. But he is so unlikable right now he might to be redeemed first before that.

I rather see someone like Magneto have his own book because he has always been interesting and complicated and I don't like him working for Cyclops. A new House of M book maybe?

dangallant984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By dangallant984

@Silver_Raven: Actually, when you were mentioning cameos, it made me think of the times in X-factor when just her and Siren would go off on their own adventures; I remember reading those stories and thinking, even if this was what the whole book was about, I wouldn't mind.

Maybe you're right, maybe M could be the star of her own book if she had a cool sidekick or assistant or two. Maybe she just needs to be out of the context of spin-off X-men books, or X-men books altogether. Maybe she should be on the Avengers? -she's definitely Avengers powerful, and she has telepathy, and none of the Avengers do (although I've often thought that people's mistrust of telepathy was certainly in line with their fear of mutants in general, perhaps even in the Avengers).

Nope, you've changed my mind. I do think M could be a cool solo character, or at least, main character in her own book. I do think she should have an at least partially mutant supporting cast, but she really could have one of the best.

SoA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By SoA
    Enemy Of The State
    Enemy Of The State
    Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 79

#10  Edited By Rabbitearsblog

@SoA said:

Enemy Of The State
    Enemy Of The State

I definitely would like this!!!

dangallant984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By dangallant984

@Silver_Raven said:

@Aero_gt said:

Psylocke has been such a break out as of late. It would be cool to see her fly solo but with her history and supporting characters in her life. If it wasn't for Storm i would think look at the current UXF as her solo book. Maybe it can turn into that later.

I feel like that's the intention with X-force, to make it essentially Psylocke's book, the way X-factor became Madrox's book for a while. The renumbering seems like it's meant to be a fresh start; this isn't Wolverine's kill squad, this is Psylocke's book. Which I think is great. The rest of the group, especially Storm, is just the icing on the cake.

@SoA said:

Enemy Of The State
    Enemy Of The State

well, when you put it that way..

Avatar image for storm_ultimatebadass
    Storm_UltimateBadass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lorex said:

@Silver_Raven said:

Who else could go solo?

I do agree that M should have a higher profile in the Marvel universe, her powers are great. She has some of old Emma's snobish arrogance but under it cares about things and people. I think she could do well outside the confines of the X-Men.

What exactly is M's power im sorry. Ive heard of her but im not sure what she can do.

Storm_UltimateBadass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Silver_Raven said:

@dangallant984 said:

@Silver_Raven said:

I can't say i disagree with that assessment of Monet, but i also think she enough of back story and real life connections away from her X-career to work in any field she wants. She has the means and genetic gifts to do be successful in whatever she wants to do. Maybe she could starting her own personal security business, restart X-Corporation in the city of her choice, or follow in her father's footsteps as an ambassador. She was also a Vanity Fair cover girl so that must give her some celebrity status, like Dazzler. Yet, she has been slumming it with X-Factor, which has given her character a nice depth, but i feel if she was in her element she could shine in a different way and have more influence then she does now. Especially now that there are new mutants emerging again, the world needs someone like M to create good public relations. Maybe she can be the UN's mutant ambassador. (Think the mutant Angelina Jolie!). She can travel the world, meeting new mutants, hob-nobbing with influential leaders, going to elite parties, and fighting crime all along the way.

The more I think about it Marvel really should consider giving M a solo book. She could be the super heroic and haughty princess with a heart of gold to match her luxurious lifestyle. I think concept would be so amusing and refreshing to see explored along with the more serious topics of humanitarian issues and geo-political conflicts. Her supporting cast can include her sisters, her father, a manager/hanlder, an assistent, a new love interest, and cameos from some of her friends like Banshee, Longshot, Darwin, Jubilee, Husk, Chamber and Penance/Hollow. And her primary villain can be her brother Marius. Monet has a such a rich back story that can lend any type of story.There is also the added benefit of portraying a woman of colour in position that is not in marginalized or stereotypical. Imagine how exciting it would be for young girls of colour to see a comic book with such an aspirational character in the starring role.

This actually does sound really interesting. If this All Female X-Men book does well im thinking that well be seeing more solo female character books. Which im hoping because DC does it well establishing there female leads Marvel needs to jump on the ball they have amazing female characters.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

#14  Edited By Teerack

There should have been a solo series about Professor X once he returned to earth the past few years, but marvel completely missed that one...

And all of you talking about M and how you think she's be a good ambassador or something at the UN..... you guys know what an Ambassador is and what the UN is right? Because the only x-man I can think of that would be even worse is Frenzy.

DurararaFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#15  Edited By DurararaFTW

@Storm_UltimateBadass said:

@lorex said:

@Silver_Raven said:

Who else could go solo?

What exactly is M's power im sorry. Ive heard of her but im not sure what she can do.

She's a supergenius, she's got superstrength, telepathy, flight and invulnerability.

Silver_Raven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Silver_Raven

@Teerack: I didn't mean an actual ambassador of a country but a good will ambassador like Angelina Jolie. Monet would be special case advocating for mutant rights.

Silver_Raven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Silver_Raven

Even though she is going to be in Fearless Defenders and hopefully getting a power upgrade there, Dani Moonstar could follow up that with a stint as Hela's valkyrie or working as recruiter for the X-men. Every New Mutant book has featured Dani's adventures and they have always been so interesting and complex. Her solo book would be so cool because she has rich history and vast connections to different parts of the Marvel U. I just would like her to have some of her mirage powers again added to her valkyrie death sight..

Maybe Bishop could get another chance at redemption following his return in UXF. Maybe he could go solo as a mutant cop for SHIELD (do they still exist). He had a really bad rap, and for Marvel to do him that way was so messed up.

Domino seems like she can be either an x-men or freelance mercenary. I can see her being the best at what she does, and having a lot of side jobs when she is not helped out the X-men or X-Force.

Storm_UltimateBadass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@DurararaFTW said:

@Storm_UltimateBadass said:

@lorex said:

@Silver_Raven said:

Who else could go solo?

She's a supergenius, she's got superstrength, telepathy, flight and invulnerability.

So like the 90's Rogue with telepathy added. Cool I may need to check her out since Rogue isnt the same.

deathbymanga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By deathbymanga

Here's an idea: Toad

Think about it. The guy seriously needs some character development, and he isn't nearly important enough to ever be given a standing role in Wolverine's X-men adventures.

Think about it, the guy is such a wimp and has a few screws loose, wouldn't you want to see what would happen if Toad left the X-men and entered the world, not under the orders of anyone. I admit that I am a fan of the Evolution series, which is why I like Toad, but I seriously don't see why Toad can't be given a new character that is more like his animated self anyway.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Teerack

@Silver_Raven: The UN needs to be incredibly restrained to function and M doesn't like to stand by and watch things happen. Ambassadors also need to handle things very delicately and carefully which is something else M would totally fail at. She's be the kind of ambassador that would just destroy the image of the mutants at the UN. Maybe Age of Apocalypse M but defiantly not 616 M. I can barely remember the last time she got in an argument and she didn't instantly take it to "i could beat you up."

Avatar image for thecasketfiller
    TheCasketFiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By TheCasketFiller

i agree with a psyloche solo, i would pick that up. i think jubilee had an opportunity for a limited series when she was turned into a vampire. Namor deserves a solo most definitly, i think he has massive potential to become a big player in the MU.

Kitty pryde should get a limited series, not a whole long ongoing because she should be on a team IMO, but i do think she could have a series where the team is in the background and the focus is on her, same goes for rogue.

i also think a good duo would be domino and x-23

DarkxSeraph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By DarkxSeraph

Eh. Someone mentioned Prof. X and that he should have had his own solo book. Honestly, he did, in all technicality, X-Men: Legacy was all just about him. Then he worked with Gambit, and the Rogue thing occured, but it was all still centered around Xavier for that time.

Meh. *shrug*

Silver_Raven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Silver_Raven

@Teerack said:

@Silver_Raven: The UN needs to be incredibly restrained to function and M doesn't like to stand by and watch things happen. Ambassadors also need to handle things very delicately and carefully which is something else M would totally fail at. She's be the kind of ambassador that would just destroy the image of the mutants at the UN. Maybe Age of Apocalypse M but defiantly not 616 M. I can barely remember the last time she got in an argument and she didn't instantly take it to "i could beat you up."

Well Monet seems to have to act that way on X-Factor, since the book plays it all for laughs and make her anger come from many places which sometimes can make her two dimension. The way i interpret her character now is that she surrounded by street level heroes and avrerage people that bring out superiority complex even more. I would imagine her affluent upbringing and refined manners would reemerge around the right people. In a role like a good will ambassador or mutant diplomat, i think she would take to that role like it was her birth right. And maybe over time with such a status or even if she was allowed to graduate to the X-men proper she might grow into less bratty princess and act like a magnanimous queen.

dangallant984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By dangallant984

@Silver_Raven said:

Well Monet seems to have to act that way on X-Factor, since the book plays it all for laughs and make her anger come from many places which sometimes can make her two dimension. The way i interpret her character now is that she surrounded by street level heroes and avenger people that bring out superiority complex even more. I would imagine her affluent upbringing and refined manners would reemerge around the right people. In a role like a good will ambassador or mutant diplomat, i think she would take to that role like it was her birth right. And maybe over time with such a status or even if she was allowed to graduate to the X-men proper she might grow into less bratty princess and act like a magnanimous queen.

I gotta admit, I'd be more interested in seeing M on the X-men than half of the characters that already are.

tupiaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#25  Edited By tupiaz

@Silver_Raven said:

Because they feel that they are in the same boat and not that different from the world. Also many mutants don't feel like saving humans but more wants a solution so mutants and humans can live in peace.

I think we need less X-boks. Less is more and know you have so many stories with the same characters it just seems ridiculous. To have some top tier X-Men to have there own book would just increase the problem.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Teerack

@Silver_Raven: I guess yeah she could grow up, but as she is now she's way too immature to be any kind of politic.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.