Marvel's Next Big Event: X-Men Vs. The Avengers

Posted by No_Name_ (17403 posts) - - Show Bio

With the end of Fear Itself, and the rift caused by SCHISM that split Marvel's mutants, many of us have been wondering: what's next? What will be the next big event for the Marvel Universe in 2012? Today, we got our answer. Earlier, Marvel revealed that their next bi-weekly, 12-issue series will be pit the X-Men and Marvel's Avengers against one another. Simple as that. Marvel's Editor-in-Chief Axel Alonso spoke about the event, implying that it was innevitable and would happen eventually.

"You've got two populations whose motivations are simple and understandable and defensible," says Axel Alonso, Marvel's editor in chief. "That's part of the beauty of this. You're seeing a story that evolves out of 'What would you do?' "

The event will kick off this March with issue zero, which will be written by Brian Michael Bendis and Jason Aaron. The series will be crafted by nearly all of the "Marvel Architects," Bendis, Aaron, Matt Fraction, Jonathan Hickman and Ed Brubaker. The team of writers will be joined by some of Marvel's most prominent artists, including Olivier Coipel, John Romita Jr., and Adam Kubert. Marvel also revealed a teaser image showcasing the various characters that will be involved in the big event.

So you're probably wondering, what's the premise? The Phoenix Force will return to the Marvel Universe in 2012, but it will need a host. The question is, who will it be? And what will happen to cause the X-Men to fight the Avengers? We'll have to wait and see. What do you think of the big news? Are you looking forward to seeing the Phoenix return? What do you think will lead to a battle between the X-Men and the Avengers?

Source: Marvel

#1 Posted by Roldan (241 posts) - - Show Bio

can't we just have a Gillen and Bendis with Coipel and Kubert with art duties. Why have it so big when it's just gonna be a build-up to a big fight?

#2 Edited by Benzo (621 posts) - - Show Bio

Sigh....another event.

EDIT: Is the Scarlet Witch involved as well?

#3 Posted by jhazzroucher (15642 posts) - - Show Bio

12 issues so i believe it's gonna be a good one. Storm looks awesome there and looks very healthy too. hehehehe. : )

#4 Posted by ThePRez (281 posts) - - Show Bio

nooooooooooooooooooooooo please no other event

#5 Posted by jcj145 (184 posts) - - Show Bio

To be honest this is the first event I'm actually excited about and I think it has a ton of potential, even more when you think about the Cable V. Avengers mini coming out soon, Storm joining the Avengers, and the Phoenix force coming back. A lot of interesting elements here and if done right could lead to a truly epic story. Very excited to say the least

#6 Posted by Niko1356 (6 posts) - - Show Bio

How Would That Work Cause Storm,Beast And Wolverine Are on both team ?

#7 Edited by jcj145 (184 posts) - - Show Bio

Another interesting thing to point out as this seems to involve both X factions to as Wolverine and Beast are also in the promo with Cyke and his "extinction" team, although it does seem as if Wolverine is going after Emma and Beast after Storm...

#8 Posted by feargalr (1163 posts) - - Show Bio

I wonder if the childrens crusade and the scarlet witch will have anything to do with this.. given this kinda happened in one issue of it already...

#9 Posted by MetropolisKid41 (515 posts) - - Show Bio

Marvel=EVENT MADNESS!!!!! Hope this is better than Fear Itself, shouldn't take much to do that, but a 12 isue event that will probably get one book delayed and have a million tie-ins and gonna be hard on the wallet, especially since they'll probably have at least 2 other events going on at the same time.

#10 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29499 posts) - - Show Bio

O_O

#11 Posted by Xenozoic Shaman (410 posts) - - Show Bio

Isn't Storm supposed to be joining the Avengers? That will make for an interesting decision.

#12 Posted by venomoushatred1001 (12334 posts) - - Show Bio

NOOOOOOOOOOOO. NOT ANOTHER EVENT!

#13 Posted by Kallarkz (3303 posts) - - Show Bio

12 issues? Bi-weekly??

Yeah no. Especially knowing Marvel will be pricing it at about $3.99-$4.99

#14 Posted by Sir_Deadpool (461 posts) - - Show Bio

yeeeeees! x-men will kick asses. but will it be wolvies team or cyclops or will they be reunioned until that

#15 Edited by Sky_Jokiel (304 posts) - - Show Bio

Just we need another pushed Marvel Event.... Yay..... :|

Also to point out Thor is not in the picture :(

#16 Posted by CombatSpoon86 (832 posts) - - Show Bio

Definitely not gonna fall into the trap of another event again. You can have it. I'll just wait til I hear good stuff and then read the trade or read my friends copies.

#17 Posted by No_Name_ (17403 posts) - - Show Bio

@feargalr said:

I wonder if the childrens crusade and the scarlet witch will have anything to do with this.. given this kinda happened in one issue of it already...

I wondered the same thing!

#18 Posted by TheGoldenOne (38849 posts) - - Show Bio
Darn. I was expecting to see Thor >_>
#19 Posted by MakoaWolf (19 posts) - - Show Bio

Didn't we do this already? "What would you do?"

I thought that was called "Civil War". Honestly, I don't mind the events, the ramp up for Fear Itself had me reading some books that I consider discoveries and may read for other reasons now, but another big superhero misunderstanding?

You can dress it up, give it a diamond form, a mono-goggles, and a red helmet -- but it still feels like Civil War to me. And for Xavier's sake, can't we let X-Stories cool down a bit before we slap in another "Major Event". I believe the body of that Sentinel killed in "Schism" is still arm. I like my X-Men, I really -- really -- really do, buy Oy!

#20 Posted by Billy Batson (57976 posts) - - Show Bio

Ten bucks on sucking.
BB

#21 Posted by DXmagma (91 posts) - - Show Bio

@Niko1356 said:

How Would That Work Cause Storm,Beast And Wolverine Are on both team ?

Presumably Wolvie would be on the Avenger's side seeing as he split from Cyclops' x-men, and Beats headed out east with him. Despite being in the image I get the feeling Storm will just be a peace keeper.

#22 Posted by AgeofHurricane (7282 posts) - - Show Bio

Congratulations Marvel. Another "Event". Are these never-ending story-arcs even worthy of being called "Event's" anymore ?

#23 Posted by IronHerc (93 posts) - - Show Bio

This has lots of potential, this can end up becoming an epic war between two of the Marvel U's biggest factions of heroes and I hope it goes to an all out with Cyclops finally either dying or stepping out of duties of leader...why do I want this? is simple. Cyclops has gone completely insane. he has done very questionable decisions multiple times, got the team separated and lost some of their best members and now he is having war with the avengers? (and we all know nobody ends up looking good when thinking that fighting the cap is a good idea). Let's be honest people, this can't be just coincidences. The dude is clearly doing something wrong here since now, he is probably not only fighting against an army of avengers (if they use everyone from the three teams but I doubt the academy will be used unless to keep civilians safe) but they are also probably going to battle against Wolverine's gold team. So probably many people don't like events, I do like them because I just read the main book (and few tie-ins involving some of the tittles I read). So yeah.....I'm pretty exited about this.

(P.S We all know when writers collaborate on this things, they usually come out good)

#24 Posted by Samimista (20686 posts) - - Show Bio

Lol currently I'm taking a break from Marvel but why does it seem like every month is a 'Big Event' ? Lol it's so ridiculous milking out these events. Not trying to bash Marvel I like a lot of their characters but seriously? xD

#25 Posted by aaunderoath (165 posts) - - Show Bio

I wonder how Avengers: X-Sanction will lead into this, since Cable lives for Hope and this is hinted at being a fight over whether Hope will/should be the host of the phoenix force.

#26 Posted by FoxxFireArt (3554 posts) - - Show Bio

Yet another Marvel event.................. . --_-- This is my surprised face.

Events are basically like reality TV shows now. Lot of people seem to say how much they hate them, but the publishers wouldn't keep making them if people would just top buying them. Though, also like reality TV. Just because a lot of people are supporting it. It doesn't make them good.

I'm just more disgusted that in interviews editors keep saying less events, but I've yet to see them actually back up that statement.

#27 Posted by Ganthetsward20 (687 posts) - - Show Bio

another event, marvel is trying to make up on sells? what is going on here??? Marvel you did do events really well but having one every month is getting ridiculous. I didnt even pay attention to spider island, or fear itself, just read prelude to schism and only reading main books to regenisis. You guys are starting to suck it up. Pay attention to you character development plans or something but stop with your events...till like next summer!

#28 Posted by The Stegman (24057 posts) - - Show Bio

well....they kinda fought in Children's Crusade...maybe it'll have something to do with that... 

by the way, i'm Team Avengers

#29 Posted by TheGoldenOne (38849 posts) - - Show Bio
What about the whole Cable/Avengers thing? Anyone think that could be the cause?
#30 Posted by xkoenig (393 posts) - - Show Bio

@feargalr said:

My thoughts exactly. Since this will feature Scarlet Witch in the prologue I'm sure it will spin off from Children's Crusade. But I'm in agreement with others - this is too soon for another big event. I'm getting tired of it all. This is not the way to boost your sales long term, Marvel.

#31 Posted by Man of Lengend (1001 posts) - - Show Bio

stoked for this!! screw the haters

#32 Posted by sinful (149 posts) - - Show Bio

I find this interesting, but i do agree..too many events.

#33 Posted by jerfro23 (97 posts) - - Show Bio

Didnt they just have huge fight over wanda now its hope

#34 Posted by FoxxFireArt (3554 posts) - - Show Bio

@MakoaWolf said:

Didn't we do this already? "What would you do?"

I thought that was called "Civil War". Honestly, I don't mind the events, the ramp up for Fear Itself had me reading some books that I consider discoveries and may read for other reasons now, but another big superhero misunderstanding?

You can dress it up, give it a diamond form, a mono-goggles, and a red helmet -- but it still feels like Civil War to me. And for Xavier's sake, can't we let X-Stories cool down a bit before we slap in another "Major Event". I believe the body of that Sentinel killed in "Schism" is still arm. I like my X-Men, I really -- really -- really do, buy Oy!

This one is called, "Let's have the Avangers beat up on a racially repressed minority rather than trying to talk with them!".

#35 Posted by Darthtravis (70 posts) - - Show Bio

Hope is clearly going to be the host for the Phoenix Force. This has been hinted at for years. In fact, aren't there some theories out there that Hope is actually Jean Grey reincarnated?

#36 Posted by danimal_furry (19 posts) - - Show Bio

When did Marvel become Image?

#37 Posted by The Devil Tiger (1263 posts) - - Show Bio

Actually, I just hope Cyke and Magneto will get their @$$ kicked ut of their hubris and obnoxious attitude.

#38 Posted by Mumbles (846 posts) - - Show Bio

i'll check it out, but it could be a total mess with all the different creative teams.

#39 Posted by FrozenYogurt (1 posts) - - Show Bio

What, are they adapting fan fictions into comic books now? That's what it looks like to me.

#40 Posted by LordRequiem (1310 posts) - - Show Bio

Magneto and Namor have it in the bag.

#41 Posted by Outside_85 (8769 posts) - - Show Bio

Wonder if Cyke has patented the approach of seemingly immensely anger his otherwise friends and allies? (If it is him doing that...could see the Avengers having a problem with 'Jean' coming back)

#42 Posted by jsphsmth (1136 posts) - - Show Bio

Great another event. This is why I am reading three times as many DC comics as I was this time last year.

#43 Posted by narwen (15 posts) - - Show Bio

Oh Joy, Heroes fighting each other... again. What? Marvel ran out of villains? The water from this well they keep going to has gone decidedly stale.

#44 Posted by haydenclaireheroes (9011 posts) - - Show Bio

I hope this event is better than Fear Itself. I guess we will have to see. I guess I will buy the first issue and see if the story arc is good.

#45 Posted by InfinityOmelette (131 posts) - - Show Bio

It'll probably go down like this...

Everyone finds out the PhoenixForce is coming, so the logical thinking is that Hope will be the host... Iron Man will want to play fascist cop again and lock her up while they figure out what to do. The Muties will say no and we get a lot of fun punching scenes. Then the Phoenix force finally comes... but it chooses as a host someone no one expects. (after a lil thought, Iron Fist would be a likely candidate because of the whole 'Phoenix' & 'Dragon' thing (which is always one of the best Chinese food items on the menu.) then after confusion and the whole world burning... Jean Grey returns after her vacation in whatever plane of existence she's been in, and saves the day. Yayyyyy! (Or maybe they're setting up a Hope vs. Iron Fist fight with the 'Phoenix & Dragon' Chinese food thing...) Man, I dunno. I think I just made myself hungry... when is lunch?

#46 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (33099 posts) - - Show Bio
@danimal_furry said:
When did Marvel become Image?
If it did become Image at least they would be releasing a lot more quality titles with actual character devlopment.  

The X Men would destroy the Avengers. This "event" is going to reek of PIS, it's such a cheap tactic. First they have the heros fight each other in Civil War then they get the X Men to fight each other in Schism now guess what? that's right X Men fighting Avengers, way to recycle ideas Marvel.
#47 Posted by Joe Venom (1275 posts) - - Show Bio

Wow, I thought only movies were losing their originality. Seriously lately it feels like Marvel is just throwing darts at a wall of concepts.

#48 Posted by Kal'smahboi (3510 posts) - - Show Bio

Good, this way they can include an event series for every X-related book and every Avengers-related book. Everyone go buy them, now. So says Marvel.

#49 Posted by CODYSF (2053 posts) - - Show Bio

The only thing there missing there is Jersey Shore cast and the Disney characters lol.

#50 Posted by Edgeworth_11 (4656 posts) - - Show Bio

I wonder why people bitch so much, than they buy the book. What is the point guys, really?

And for the record, the X-men would stomp the Avengers, especially the members shown.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.