Marvel Unveils Marko Djurdjevic's ASTONISHING X-MEN #51 Variant

Posted by G-Man (30625 posts) - - Show Bio

By now you should have heard the news about Northstar proposing to his boyfriend, Kyle. ASTONISHING X-MEN #50, which contained the proposal, was released yesterday. Despite the lack of a smooth outcome, the wedding is said to take place in the next issue.

Yesterday Marvel released the "Create Your Own Wedding" variant and today they have released a look at Marko Djurdjevic's variant.

I wonder where they're registered at?

Marvel is pleased to present your first look at superstar artist, Marko Djurdjevic’s stunning variant cover to Astonishing X-Men #51! This June, get ready for the wedding of the year as Djurdjevic masterfully captures one of the happiest moments in X-Men history. It’s the story that has everyone talking, and this June – witness the landmark marriage of Northstar and Kyle, in style, with the Astonishing X-Men #51 Djurdjevic Variant!

ASTONISHING X-MEN #51 (APR120665)

ASTONISHING X-MEN #51 DJURDJEVIC VARIANT (APR120666

Written by MARJORIE LIU

Art by MIKE PERKINS

Cover by DUSTIN WEAVER

Variant Cover by MARKO DJURDJEVIC

Create Your Own Wedding Variant also available

Rated T+ …$3.99

FOC—5/28/12, On-Sale—6/20/12

Staff
#1 Posted by broo1232 (1520 posts) - - Show Bio

Great artwork pity the stories a bad idea.

#2 Posted by The Average Bear (2069 posts) - - Show Bio

I think this is a big step for Marvel. I support it 100%

#3 Posted by Trodorne (2572 posts) - - Show Bio

@broo1232: how so a bad idea?

Ill read the issue, maybe even buy it if all of Alpha Flight is going to be in it.

it looks like Jean-paul is going to slip him the tongue.

#4 Posted by Shamelesslysupportinaznballers (553 posts) - - Show Bio

Marko Djurdjevic is back working with Marvel?!?!?!??!?!??!?! I thought he went on some tirade at some convention, bashed Marvel and said he would stop working for them.

#5 Posted by CaptainUseless (730 posts) - - Show Bio
@broo1232: Why?
#6 Posted by broo1232 (1520 posts) - - Show Bio

@Trodorne said:

@broo1232: how so a bad idea?

Ill read the issue, maybe even buy it if all of Alpha Flight is going to be in it.

it looks like Jean-paul is going to slip him the tongue.

It just seems a bit rushed I mean this is the 3rd issue with this team in and suddenly one of them is getting married?

#7 Posted by Gylan Thomas (2727 posts) - - Show Bio

@broo1232 said:

How come the story's a bad idea?

#8 Posted by Crackdown (587 posts) - - Show Bio

Iceman is still too cool to stand on the ground. Wonder if he'll shower them with some snow flowers as they walk to the "Just Married" car...X-Jet

I want an X-Jet at my wedding

#9 Posted by Bestostero (5618 posts) - - Show Bio

the timing is pretty impeccable considering what just happened recently lol

#10 Posted by Cyborg6971 (168 posts) - - Show Bio

@broo1232:

Thems gettin married alright.

#11 Edited by Lvenger (18271 posts) - - Show Bio

@broo1232: Why is a story about gay marriage a bad idea? Admittedly Marvel are using this as a publicity stunt but it's nice to see awareness of the issue as well as a sensible outlook on it.

#12 Posted by Trodorne (2572 posts) - - Show Bio

@The Average Bear said:

Its not a big step. Northstar has been openly gay for decades. Kevin Keller got married to Clay in Life with Archie #16, if anything marvel are the last ones to make a "Big step".

Though i do support the idea of the event im starting to agree with Broo1232 that this does feel a little rushed. but I can understand with Kyle and jean-paul that their relationship does need to go to the next level but are they not just starting to live together?

There is supporting and then there is blindly supporting because of trends.

#13 Posted by Trodorne (2572 posts) - - Show Bio

@Lvenger: I think he means the story is rushed which makes it a bad idea. do not assume someone is against gay marriage. just ask them to clarify.

#14 Posted by Lvenger (18271 posts) - - Show Bio

@Trodorne: I didn't think he was against gay marraige. I was just asking him why he thought the story was a bad idea that's all.

#15 Posted by DeawonCDelaney (62 posts) - - Show Bio

Hey the cover looks way better than the proposal, of course the timing is spot on but if Marvel really wanted to do something the would have not made it a variant but the only cover.

#16 Posted by Trodorne (2572 posts) - - Show Bio

@DeawonCDelaney: I agree.

#17 Posted by Video_Martian (5645 posts) - - Show Bio

@Gylan Thomas said:

@broo1232 said:

How come the story's a bad idea?

Yeah, Why???

#18 Posted by Mbecks14 (2068 posts) - - Show Bio

Great art! Nice cover. It's nice to see DC and Marvel being progressive even if its a bit of a publicity stunt. But then again, everything they do is.

#19 Posted by The Average Bear (2069 posts) - - Show Bio

@Trodorne said:

@The Average Bear said:

Its not a big step. Northstar has been openly gay for decades. Kevin Keller got married to Clay in Life with Archie #16, if anything marvel are the last ones to make a "Big step".

Though i do support the idea of the event im starting to agree with Broo1232 that this does feel a little rushed. but I can understand with Kyle and jean-paul that their relationship does need to go to the next level but are they not just starting to live together?

There is supporting and then there is blindly supporting because of trends.

I clearly said big step for Marvel. Referencing Archie comics would irrelevant unless I said that it was a big step for comics everywhere.

Also, I don't know if you're referring to me with the last sentence, but I'm not supporting anything "blindly". I'm supporting it because I support it. Simple.

#20 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

Wait, this was their big announcement?

Eh.

#21 Posted by KainScion (2973 posts) - - Show Bio

so the guy in white is the bride right?

#22 Posted by AgeofHurricane (7261 posts) - - Show Bio

A-MAY-ZING.

#23 Edited by GreenFuse (295 posts) - - Show Bio

Awww! Love the art. This'll be the first physical comic I've bought in years. I've been on an iPad comic binge for awhile but I'll need this one in print too :)

#24 Posted by IronAngelX (177 posts) - - Show Bio

Wolverine looks so gay as he stands there and accepts that, I don't view that as believable for his character, but whatever, it's all just a gimmick anyways, thanks Obama for inspiring comic book companies to put real social views into their books instead of letting the reader decide for themselves.

#25 Posted by Blood1991 (8098 posts) - - Show Bio

Meh just an interacial, gay, human mutant wedding no big deal.

ps. where is Alpha Flight in all this?

#26 Posted by Inverno (13061 posts) - - Show Bio

So who is the man and the woman of the relationship?

@Lvenger said:

@broo1232: Why is a story about gay marriage a bad idea? Admittedly Marvel are using this as a publicity stunt but it's nice to see awareness of the issue as well as a sensible outlook on it.

I personally think its a bad idea because of what you just said. Its a publicity stunt, when the marriage have served their purpose they will undo it just like most marriages in the Marvel Universe.

#27 Edited by Cyborg6971 (168 posts) - - Show Bio

@IronAngelX:

If wolverine is friends with either of them he would accept it and not let it be an issue.

"thanks Obama for inspiring comic book companies to put real social views into their books instead of letting the reader decide for themselves."

The injecting of social views and political opinion was started in the late 60's early 70's when the comic book code was starting to loose it's juice.

I'm willing to bet you have no idea that this kind of thing has been done in all forms of media, because you can't remember a time without internet.

#28 Posted by The Average Bear (2069 posts) - - Show Bio

@IronAngelX said:

Wolverine looks so gay as he stands there and accepts that, I don't view that as believable for his character, but whatever, it's all just a gimmick anyways, thanks Obama for inspiring comic book companies to put real social views into their books instead of letting the reader decide for themselves.

When has Wolverine expressed any homophobia that would lead you to believe this was an inaccurate representation of the character? Have you forgotten Anole, a homosexual student at his newly founded school? If he was against this, he wouldn't allow Anole to be at his school.

#29 Posted by Cyborg6971 (168 posts) - - Show Bio

I wanna know who gathers around to catch the bouquet? Men or women?

#30 Posted by Mutant God (3020 posts) - - Show Bio

is that Dazzler next to Beast

#31 Posted by deadpool25mm (576 posts) - - Show Bio

Marvel shame on you... letting kids read this !@#$ makeing it look right.. putting it in their minds.. so sad, as i said before its sick to see this come into comics ,people dont know what right and wrong is anymore...who knows whats next.

#32 Edited by Cyborg6971 (168 posts) - - Show Bio

@deadpool25mm:

And yet you seem to know what's best for all of us don't you? If you can't roll with the punches and accept others for who they are you are going to be a bitter old coot.

This is exactly what both DC and Marvel wanted to happen when making this, in my opinion not so controversial move.

I'll tell you what's next deadpool, dogs and cats living together mass hysteria.

#33 Posted by MyraMyraMyra (296 posts) - - Show Bio

Why can't two fictional gay characters get married without people accusing it for being a "political" statement? Sure, Marvel is hyping it up, but superhero weddings are always turned into publicity stunts. There have already been dozens of overmarketed heterosexual superhero marriages over the years, so why is this one gay marriage getting everyone's panties in a twist?

Gay marriage in general is less of a political issue and more of a question of equal human rights. The X-Men franchise has always been for accepting diversity in society & against injustice and discrimination. Having two gay characters marry in a time when two adults still do not have the permission to legalize their union if they happen to have similar genitals is not only consistent with the message of X-Men, but it also happens to be a natural step forward for the characters in question (Northstar and Kyle have had a stable relationship for a long time now) and it's in keeping with the general theme Liu has established for her Astonishing X-Men run (it's strongly focusing on the private lives of the characters).

@CaioTrubat said:

So who is the man and the woman of the relationship?

They're both men. That's kind of what defines them as a gay couple.

#34 Posted by Cyborg6971 (168 posts) - - Show Bio

The only people who have problems with this are religious zealots ie fundamentalists.

God wants no one to have fun ever. He just wants more cow bell.

#35 Posted by cyberchop979 (451 posts) - - Show Bio

@Cyborg6971 said:

@deadpool25mm:

And yet you seem to know what's best for all of us don't you? If you can't roll with the punches and accept others for who they are you are going to be a bitter old coot.

This is exactly what both DC and Marvel wanted to happen when making this, in my opinion not so controversial move.

I'll tell you what's next deadpool, dogs and cats living together mass hysteria.

WIN.

#36 Posted by Cavemold (1676 posts) - - Show Bio

Eh terrible publicity stunt

#37 Posted by Kid_Zombie (824 posts) - - Show Bio

Good pic although i think Alpha Flight should be up front. They better be a big part of this story. And he should be getting married in Montreal, but other then that, i will prob get this issue.

#38 Posted by Sleepbutnodream15 (570 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't really support gay marriage, but it's not like I'm homophobic and think all gay people are going to Hell and all that. That being said, I think Marvel should stop pushing their liberal agenda/marketing ploy in our face this much. Seriously, who gives a shit. Is this really what the target demographic for X-Men comics really wants to read? No. This annoys me to no end.

#39 Edited by SpitfireINK (242 posts) - - Show Bio

When it comes to equal rights for everyone I am all for it. But this has absolutely NOTHING to do with that! Who even cared about this second tiered character Northstar?

What this really says about Marvel is that they are trying to capitalize on sensationalizing a majority bias toward the gay community. Honestly why now? (when gay marriage Approval is being debated heavily across America & should be APPROVED) What other weddings are so pertinent to their story lines that they feel the need to sensationalize them? Or are we to believe that Northstar is so extremely relevant to the X-men & the Marvel Universe that this absolutely had to be told & in this fashion?

So Marvel - Why should we give a crap why anyone chooses who they choose to be with? I honestly don't care - its the union of 2 people & not the world & what their PERSONAL preferences are - IS JUST THAT -- PERSONAL

That being Said - WEDDINGS in Marvel Comics are Incredibly Unintelligent Drivel that only stands as filler when Marvel apparently runs out of good stories to tell. There hasn't been a WORTH WHILE WEDDING STORY - EVER!

#40 Posted by unicornpuncher (418 posts) - - Show Bio

Being gay, Im all for the marriage and more gay characters in comic books. But I do have to admit, this whole marriage story is totally rushed.

We know northstar is gay, but barely know anything about kyle.

Its like Liu is all slashy fan girl writing this stuff like a 15 year old girl. Next up, Karmas vegetarian women's hummus making group!

#41 Posted by Mumbles (846 posts) - - Show Bio

beautiful cover.

doesn't matter which way you agree on the subject of a gay marriage in comics, both sides lose in the argument.

#42 Posted by Mumbles (846 posts) - - Show Bio

@KainScion:

yeah, i heard he is a total power bottom

#43 Posted by Teerack (5325 posts) - - Show Bio

Past few issue of astonishing x-men sucked, and this doesn't make me think that'll be changing next issue.

#44 Posted by CrimsonAvenger (1162 posts) - - Show Bio

@IronAngelX said:

I'm not trying to be rude but given your comment I'm assuming you don't know that the original X-Men comics were a political allegory to the Civil Rights Movement and portrayed it in a very positive light. This has nothing to do with President Obama;comic storylines are planned ahead of time and this issue would have been done before President Obama even announced his support of Same Sex Marriage. They might have decided to release it now because of what the President said but they didn't just come up with the whole thing that quickly. Basically my point is that putting social views in comics is something that has been around for some time.

#45 Posted by tbpinkfloyd (126 posts) - - Show Bio

I thought Marko was done with Marvel? Didn't he have that huge blow-up where he complained about being under contract with them? I know this is probably free-lance, but still.

#46 Posted by MrMazz (1138 posts) - - Show Bio

Am I the only one who finds it a little perfect and funny that Beast seems to be the one marrying them? If I ever wanted a marvel character to officiate my wedding it would be Beast.

#47 Posted by Herx (374 posts) - - Show Bio

a quote from Moss from Guttercomics comes to mind when i look at this and sums up my feelings:

"So a few thoughts spring to mind. First, like a lot of progressive ideas in comics, didn't Archie do this already?

Second, this has to be one of the worst kept secrets in the history of comics and secrets.

Third, maybe I just desperately (or naively) want to live in a world where it really doesn't matter who's banging who (especially when it comes to fictional people), but I do look forward to the day when stuff like this isn't a big deal, it just is."

(Moss. The-gutters.com. May 22, 2012)

#48 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29499 posts) - - Show Bio

@IronAngelX said:

I hope you realize you just looked at a picture of two men getting married and you picked out WOLVERINE as the gay one.

#49 Posted by isaac_clarke (5448 posts) - - Show Bio

@IronAngelX: This has likely been in planning long before the President said anything, so thanks for trying to make it political.

#50 Posted by ARMIV2 (8280 posts) - - Show Bio

Woah...I thought Djurdjevic wasn't working with Marvel anymore.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.