Follow

X-Men

Team » X-Men appears in 13419 issues.

The X-Men are a superhero team of mutants founded by Professor Charles Xavier. They are dedicated to helping fellow mutants and sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them.

Marvel Universe ending

Chapmar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

So as far as I can say it looks like the X-men will no longer hold much of a platform in the future as marvel is ending the marvel universe.

What's the opinion on here everyone?

McKlayn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

Im not sure honestly, i am in general totally against resets it seems to waste years of continuity and character dev. At the same time the X men universe has been a little blah lately, things are more confusing then they seem to be worth and a bit of a reboot if done right might be nice, maybe the X men will take back some sort of more dominate role other then you know, the avengers whooping boys

Chapmar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mcklayn: Personally I feel that this will have them almost entirely fulfilling that role. The all-new All different avengers are going to be the poster boys.

Avatar image for earthsmightiest
    EarthsMightiest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4  Edited By EarthsMightiest

To soon, all main titles ending, I'm sure the All New Marvel 616/1610 will have a load of X-title (maybe even a few good ones) after SW is over.

Chapmar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@earthsmightiest: I'm genuinely not so sure that it will. The avengers are the big push - just look at the april 2015 solicits and look at how many X-titles there are compared to Avengers....

I'm not a big fan of Hickman's Avengers but to have it lead up to this is infuriating. I haven't read all of the volumes yet the entire marvel universe is ending because of what happens in it. So as an X-men fan I'm just forgotten about? I want to see Scott's revolution, I want to see Magneto's journey continue, I want to see the futures of battle of the atom be fleshed out more, I want to see this and not the Avengers re-launch another 700 series.

EarthsMightiest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@chapmar:

I'm not worried, while Hickmans stories are worlds better than Bendis if you look at sales charts the core X-titles always outsell Avengers, at the end of the day Marvel is a business in it to make money.

AwesomePerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By AwesomePerson

If X-Men ends, I will go to Marvel...

Put Marvel won't, they will loose too many fans, hence too much money... Plus the X-Men do make up half the universe with cosmic entities frequently being placed in their ranks...

EC2277

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By EC2277

«The outcome of SECRET WARS will lead into the All-New Marvel, which will be what is left after SECRET WARS.» from Comic Vine News

I don't think they will cancell the x-titles. Maybe after Secret Wars the x-titles could have a reshaping and it wouldn't be a bad idea: because in my opinion it is better have less titles, but good, than a lot of titles, many of them not so good.

Also the continuity could benefit from it: it could become more simply and less contraddictory, if there are less x-titles.

Then have less x-titles could leave room for other series, that could be interesting; like Inhumans.

Chapmar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ec2277: See it's funny, the X-men are not even in the promotional picture for secret wars so realistically how well are they going to come out of it?

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
    deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't even read any X-Men titles but I feel your pain. Its always annoying to have your favorite characters stuff end because of some other unnecessary story that interferes.

While they aren't in the promotional picture, I believe they will still be around in the new universe. Remember that Secret Wars isn't really about killing off people or getting rid of characters (although that will happen sadly), but it's about combining the two universes of 616 and Ultimate Universe. I'm sure when its over they will still be around, and I don't think this story resets continuity so their journeys could still continue. Everyone's series is ending probably just until the end of secret wars so that they can pick up after the event is over, and everthing will line up easier.

wimble23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By wimble23

I think a reboot is just what the X-Men need. I understand that you want to see where current stories go but everything right now is just so tired. With new stories we can start fresh and, hopefully, cut down on titles and focus on quality of quantity. The only thing I ask is that they never revisit the Dark Phoenix Saga.

EC2277

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By EC2277
    No Caption Provided

@chapmar: Is this the promotional picture?

I wouldn't give credit to the absence of X-Men. In that picture there are a lot of characters (also Obnoxio the clown), and there aren't a lot of others (Guardians of the Galaxy).

There will be a lot of x-events associate to Secret Wars: Years of future past, X-Men'92, Avengers versus X-Men 2015, House of M 2015…, then I wouldn't be worry if they aren't in this picture.

Chapmar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My problem is the whole fox thing - Are we going to see the X-men back seated entirely (evidenced by their lack of presence in what is a universe redefining event)

As for the stories - The X-men are telling the best stories they have in years with Cyclops revolution and the journeys of the time-displaced X-men

Avatar image for deactivated-5fbfd5d291164
    deactivated-5fbfd5d291164

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 74

User Lists: 7

The king is dead, long live the king.

Betony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Betony

Can Marvel afford to end/diminish the X-Men? From what I've seen at my local comic book stores and libraries, people read X-Men WAY more than Avengers anyway.

X-Men, Fantastic Four, and Spider-Man are the only characters I like in the Marvel universe, so if any of those end, then there's really no need for me to read Marvel comics. And seeing what Marvel already did to Fantastic Four, it makes me a little nervous for the future of the X-Men. The only title I buy from Marvel nowadays is Magneto and the new Star Wars comics, so I'm already on my way out with the whole Marvel superhero thing.

Avatar image for shadowofthelight
    ShadowoftheLight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By ShadowoftheLight

So, there is no Marvel or Ultimate Universe, or any other? It's all Battleworld? Can someone tell me what the hell that mean? Does that mean 616 is dying? The reason why I'm stopping reading comics. Boy... this is getting beyond comprehension.

Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 79

User Lists: 3

I still don't quite understand what's going on with this event? So, what we do know is that they are planning on combining the Ultimate Universe and the 616 universe, but why are they doing this and who will survive this battle? I do wonder how this will affect the X-Men in the long run.

EarthsMightiest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yea, I'm not nervous for the X-Men in terms of a presence thing. Its foolish to think that Marvel would cut them out during a time win they could capitalize off of the 2/3 control they have over current comic movie hype.

What I'm worried about is exactly whats going to happen within the X-titles. Bendis said less then 4,months ago that we'd be getting the pay off for current storylines in the summer, we've got the start of Utopians story arc in April. And then we've got the distance between Marvel and the X-Men that's been increasing lately.

Have we been wasting our time and money with the current arc? Are the X-Men going to be separated from the main Marvel U? Are the creators exaggerating the impact of this event like they've been known to do?

These are the things I'm thinking about, but there so vague you can't even speculate on anything at the moment....

All I can say for sure is that Im upset that the one chance for MU and Ult. X-Men to meet was so halfassed....would've loved for it to have been with the Amazing X-Men.

DaymarePrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It all depends on which Universe the character someone likes will come from when all is said and done. As long as there are not 3 versions of each one, people will learn to enjoy them again. People are focusing on only the 616 and Ultimate, but this is EVERY universe so any number of versions could be the "new normal". Certain characters may benefit from a new history or past, eliminating god/goddess/alpha/omega and the like head cannon. Some many get "their" Psylocke back, Storm may become a non-mutant from the Ultimate-verse, others could go back to their roots...some may not exist #saveMagik. Could be interesting, could be terrible. One thing for sure, even if fans do not read them any longer Marvel will be on the lips of many.

EC2277

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By EC2277

@betony said:

Can Marvel afford to end/diminish the X-Men?

[…]

And seeing what Marvel already did to Fantastic Four, it makes me a little nervous for the future of the X-Men.

[…]

Spider Man is the best selling titles and X-Men is the best selling franchise, then Marvel can't end these titles. Fantastic Four instead drop from 114,000 to 23,000 unites sold monthly in two years, so it is an expendable titles.

@shadowofthelight said:

So, there is no Marvel or Ultimate Universe, or any other? It's all Battleworld? Can someone tell me what the hell that mean? Does that mean 616 is dying? The reason why I'm stopping reading comics. Boy... this is getting beyond comprehension.

That mean it could be something like the DC event "Crisis on the infinite Earth" or the DC/Marvel event Amalgam: all the reality will collapse in an unique world (the Battleworld) and the end of the event there are two different scenario that could start: the genesis of an All New Marvel-verse or the return to the current situation, whit a main universe (Earth 616), a secondary universe (Ultimate Universe) and others minor universes. There would be also a third possible scenario: the creation of a mutant-verse and a not mutant-verse, but I don't see reason to do that.

In my opinion they will create an All New Marvel Universe.

@koays said:

[…]

1) Have we been wasting our time and money with the current arc?

2) Are the X-Men going to be separated from the main Marvel U?

3)Are the creators exaggerating the impact of this event like they've been known to do?

[…]

1) Yes, I think we have been wasting time and money with the current arc. In my opinion the initiative "All New Marvel Now" have the only purpose to keep high the sell, expecting Secret Wars. At least this is the idea that I did, reading the Bendis x-titles. But I also think that the real Bendis run will start after Secret Wars and this is only a long and boring (of curse in my opinion) prologue.

2) I don't think so. Alonso himself said that after Secret Wars there will be only an universe, the All New Marvel-verse.

3) A little, but they have to do that in order to sell the most number of comics possible.

Avatar image for transformers1024
    Transformers1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I am so confused on what Marvel is actually doing...

Chapmar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have loved every second of Bendis' run so far. It builds on continuity and is not afraid to touch off things that the characters have done while also involving new characters. The thought of this stupid thing just coming in the way of it all annoys me. If they gave the X-men their own universe written by Bendis I would be delighted.

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@chapmar: Uh....the whole continuity thing with Bendis....your talking about Uncanny right?

@Ec2277- My thing with the exaggeration is that it may not involve the X-Men as much as they say it does. Many times in the past they've dragged the entire world down into a storyline and said nothing will not be effected but then left certain areas alone for those who just don't want to follow the event. I'm seeing that as an option here since I can't see Amazing X-Men Uncanny X-Men and XX-Men all tying into the one story. Heck All New X-Men has a 2 story arc that starts the same time that this does.

I'm just pretty sure their not going to force everyone to read post apocalyptic Marvel stories until its over, so I'm hoping for a little stability before whatever changes take effect, since I'm still doubting that I'll pick up SW since I'm more interested in DC's multiversal crisis event.

EC2277

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By EC2277

@koays: I don't know what say, but there will be a country of Battleworld that will be named Mutopia and an event correlated to Secret Wars (Avengers versus X-Men 2015), that will involve the X-Men. So I think the X-Men will move to Battleworld, where they will continue their story arc and contemporaneously will take part to Secret Wars.

But in my opinion that will happen also for the others titles: Spider Man, Avengers… because the entire Battleworld will be subdivided in country, and all the names of these countries refer to a family of Marvel titles: the Spider-verse, Manhattan 616, Ultimate Manhattan, House of M, Age of Apocalypse…

So in my opinion every family of titles will have a country in Battleworld, in their country they will continue its own stories and when needed the heroes will move to the battle zone. I think that also because in April will end Avengers, New Avengers and in May will start All New Avengers (Newrama.com) and I don't think Marvel could start a new title if all the story arc will stopped with Secret Wars.

If I'm right, Secret Wars 2015 will be something like Avengers versus X-Men 2012: a great event with a lot of tie-in, but greatest than Avengers versus X-Men 2012. So great to have also some "event inside the event" (X-Men'92, Years of future past, Avengers versus X-Men 2015…) and involve all the alternative reality and timeline of Marvel Comics.

Yes, I think that the X-Men could be heavily involved in Secret Wars, also without break off their story arcs. But I don't have idea how may they will be involved in the events.

Dman1366

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They will never drop the x-men. It would make no sense; they would lose money whenever a movie comes out, they would lose money from the largest franchise fan base, and they would never waste money on Bendis and Bachalo and Yost to just have it cancelled in a years time.

Chapmar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really believe the only thing to come from this will be that the universe which look much closer to the film universes after...

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

While I agree that we all just have to wait and see, which is such a generic and obvious answer, given Marvel's recent string of events I'm not encouraged by any of this. Although if everyone has been handicapped in their writing because of this, that could be something but I highly doubt it.

Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 79

User Lists: 3

#30  Edited By Rabbitearsblog

@hawk2916 : I feel the same way. All we could do is really wait and see how this event will affect the X-Men in the long run.

Avatar image for hopesummersforthefuture
    HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

but then bendis hinted that after secret wars there is the all-new marvel universe. i dont care now all i care about is if they still have x-men especially jean grey or even teen jean grey

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.