Fans of Marvel Cosmic know that Starlord envisioned the Annihilators as a cosmic heavy-hitters team that would do what was necessary and head off galactic cataclysm.
It occurs to me, though, that Marvel should do the same with the X-men (or should have while they were all together...). When Wolverine went "evil" in Wolverine Goes to Hell, Scott reveals that he's had a plan to deal w/ Wolverine - Magneto, Namor, Emma, Him all go and beat the Snikt! out of Wolverine. Good for us it didn't work, eh? Now Wolverine can continue to be in more books than you can imagine.
Pre-schism (hopefully schism isn't too terribly binding and the camps get together) we had quite a few POWERHOUSE mutants. For the sake of argument, if you were going to put together a HEAVY HITTERS X-team, who would you put together and why? Here's a quick rough draft:
- Magneto - Master of Magnetism Or Polaris - depending on how Polaris's powers are holding up.
- Loa - Namor sidekick or not, she absolutely destroys things she touches. She is party kitty, part wolverine in a sense.
- Iceman - Master of Ice? Well, and he reconstitutes himself. What he can do with his powers is absurd.
- Dust - a second "elemental", Dust is capable of doing a lot of good stuff, from shape shifting (as a sand cloud), to killing, to reconstituting herself.
- M - Superwoman, ya?
- Magik - Teleportation, Sorcery + stuff.
- Rogue - Master of what they got.
- Hope - Master of what they got x 2 - Magnetism/Phasing/Destruction/ice powers/sand powers/all of that good stuff M has/teleportation... and Cable's training. Oh, and Rogue's ability to steal powers/life force/etc. Yeah, she gets in. PS - she might also have the powers of the phoenix.
- Darwin - Effectively providing a "healing factor" for Rogue and Hope, he lets 2 other members of the team survive anything. Oh, and he's got a power boost via Hela
- [Undetermined Slot 1] - Energy Projection of Some kind - Summers brother possibly.
- [Undetermined Slot 2] - Leader - Cyclops possibly.
- Emma - solid field telepath wth "survivability"
- Dr. Nemesis - Brains - Beast has them, but in less quantity, I think.
- Namor - Imperius Rex! Okay, so he breathes under water. Oh, and strong, flies, etc.
- Madrox - if he gets a hold of his dupes, he's in.
- Elixer - Didn't his powers go wonky at the end of X-Force? Whatev - he needs to get it together!
- Scarlet Witch - if she can be "not crazy" for 2 seconds...
- Sway - time travel = cool. Unless you're dead.
- Legion - if he gets less crazy, he's in.
- Genocide? Although that name might need some tweaking by their PR department.