Mark Millar Talks About 'X-Men: Days of Future Past'

• 54 results
Posted by G-Man (32486 posts) - - Show Bio

Comic book movies can be tricky. Making them requires appeasing comic book fans while making it completely accessible to the millions that don't necessarily follow comics religiously. X-Men: First Class was well received among comic book fans and the idea of a sequel was appealing. Then it was announced the title would be X-Men: Days of Future Past. On that day, the internet trembled as comic readers cringed over the idea of Hollywood attempting to adapt this classic story.

In September it was announced that Mark Millar would be consulting on Fox's Marvel movies. That was seen as a good thing and now that included the X-Men movies as well. Millar recently spoke with SFX magazine about the next X-Men film.

Vaughn is going for a big sci-fi style thing with X-Men: Days of Future Past. It's X-Men meets The Terminator.

Let's think about that. That could be pretty cool. I honestly can't really see giant purple/pink Sentinels coming after the X-Men. If this movie takes place in the 70s, as originally planned, bringing giant robots into the past might be much.

An easier solution might be to use the smaller and advanced Nimrod version.

== TEASER ==

He did arrive in the present and hunted Rachel Summers, who came from the alternate Days of Future Past timeline.

Millar also mentioned the cost of the movie will go up but noted that Vaughn can "handle it" as he made Kick-Ass for only $28 million.

X-Men: Days of Future Past is schedule to land in theaters in July 2014. What do you think of this angle and what would you like to see in the movie?

Source: Total Film

Staff
#1 Posted by k4tzm4n (40775 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm psyched.  Vaughn is a solid director and I have faith in Millar's input.

Staff
#2 Posted by evilvegeta74 (4527 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah!

#3 Posted by G-Man (32486 posts) - - Show Bio

I wasn't a fan of Nimrod's color scheme (or name) but I liked the idea that he was smaller and could change his appearance to human.

Staff
#4 Posted by EdwardWindsor (14428 posts) - - Show Bio

I expect it to be slightly inderwhelming at the least due to the iconic nature of it's source. But I hope I'am wrong and pliantly surprised.

Think going the nimrod route would work better ,sentinels though awesome probably won't work as well on the big screen as the issues.

#5 Posted by Sleepbutnodream15 (570 posts) - - Show Bio

This sounds like it's gonna be the best X-Movie to date! Cable please!

#6 Posted by AndyPhifer (104 posts) - - Show Bio

Who is _____ Vaughn? The story doesn't mention his first name.

#7 Edited by k4tzm4n (40775 posts) - - Show Bio
@Sleepbutnodream15 said:

Stephen Lang = the only man they should ever cast as Cable. 

Staff
#8 Posted by Sidious (61 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm still skeptical.

#9 Posted by RedQueen (1171 posts) - - Show Bio

@AndyPhifer said:

Who is _____ Vaughn? The story doesn't mention his first name.

Matthew Vaughn

#10 Posted by evilvegeta74 (4527 posts) - - Show Bio

@k4tzm4n:

This guy!

#11 Posted by Mucklefluga (2549 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm scared of how this is gonna turn out.

#12 Posted by EdwardWindsor (14428 posts) - - Show Bio
@G-Man I agree in comparison to the regular sentinels. But if they are going " the terminator" route I expect the Nimrods will be human looking most of the time. Maybe a late reveal or mid movie realizaton that what the team face isn't another superteam
#13 Posted by pspin (891 posts) - - Show Bio

I cant wait for the giant pink and purple robots! That will definitely show that superhero movies are for mainstream audiences.

#14 Posted by Smurfboy (480 posts) - - Show Bio

In my opinion, X-Men the First Class was much "MUCH" better than the first three X-Men movies altogether. The castings, story and fight-actions are a lot better as well. So when I heard that Matthew is coming back for a second-round with X-Men First Class, I got excited. I trust him 100%. I expect the next movie will be fill with a lot of actions! Dang, this news makes me want to get off computer and watch X-Men First Class movie again! Haha.

#15 Posted by mettlekm (417 posts) - - Show Bio

@evilvegeta74: Yes! That guy!

#16 Edited by doordoor123 (3721 posts) - - Show Bio

@G-Man said:

I wasn't a fan of Nimrod's color scheme (or name) but I liked the idea that he was smaller and could change his appearance to human.

You think a smaller robot is MORE believable? We had big cell-phones before we had small ones. I'm hoping the Sentinals are sent from the future to avoid any idea that a Sentinal can exist.

I wonder if Cable will be in it. He DID say "Terminator"and Cable is the closest thing to that in the X-men universe.

#17 Posted by leokearon (1790 posts) - - Show Bio

@G-Man said:

I don't see why they can't use Prime Sentinels, they were dangerous and had some things similar to a terminator

#18 Posted by GothamRed (2563 posts) - - Show Bio

A lot of people are asking for Cable, but isn't Bishop from the Days of Future past?

#19 Posted by riiiiiiiight (98 posts) - - Show Bio

I think we all need a little cable

#20 Posted by danhimself (22492 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't ever want to get my hopes up when it comes to an X-men movie....they've disappointed me way to often

#21 Edited by cmaprice (809 posts) - - Show Bio
@GothamRed said:

A lot of people are asking for Cable, but isn't Bishop from the Days of Future past?

Only in the 90s cartoon, and then, their version of DoFP was an amalgamation of different stories. So, no.

DoFP was Earth-811. Bishop is from Earth-1191. He made his FA well after that plotline.
#22 Posted by JamDamage (1114 posts) - - Show Bio

After we all saw just how good First Class was, I don't doubt this will bad either.

#23 Posted by Inverno (13197 posts) - - Show Bio

Its funny he says this because Terminator was kinda inspired by Days of Future Past.

#24 Posted by StMichalofWilson (3761 posts) - - Show Bio

@k4tzm4n said:

@Sleepbutnodream15 said:

Perfect Choice

#25 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

I can't wait to see what this movie's got. I loved First Class.

#26 Posted by Mega_spidey01 (3078 posts) - - Show Bio

i hope bishop shows up in x-men days of future pasts. the sounds like its gonna be awesome !

#27 Posted by Cypher4 (72 posts) - - Show Bio

@StMichalofWilson: Ironic. Considering that the comic book character Stephen Lang wanted to kill all mutants.

#28 Posted by zackattack529 (1404 posts) - - Show Bio

@StMichalofWilson said:

@k4tzm4n said:

@Sleepbutnodream15 said:

Perfect Choice

MARVEL PLEEEAASSEE MAKE THIS HAPPEN!!!

Plus Cable can use some marvel popularity since he has his X-force book coming out.

#29 Posted by MadeinBangladesh (6646 posts) - - Show Bio

Oh man im stoked for this!!! I loved the first one.

#30 Posted by VictorVonDoom_1 (142 posts) - - Show Bio

Sentinels. Sentinels. Make them look awesome, please.

#31 Posted by ectoborge (208 posts) - - Show Bio

Hope they have the fight choreographer from kickass

#32 Posted by sora_thekey (8161 posts) - - Show Bio

So excited! I just feel like Kitty Pryde needs to appear in this...

Although, if the story will focus on the Future characters coming to the past (in this case Nimrod) then maybe it might not make sense. I do want to see Senator Robert Kelly, Destiny and maybe even Cyclops & Jean (imagine Famke Jensen and James Mardsen coming from the future) make an appearance... of course those last two would only make sense if Rachel is involved.

#33 Posted by Mercy_ (92685 posts) - - Show Bio

@k4tzm4n said:

I'm psyched. Vaughn is a solid director and I have faith in Millar's input.

My thoughts exactly.

#34 Posted by DocFishstick (241 posts) - - Show Bio

i liked the first class movie it was better then the other three x men movies. i have a good feeling it will be good.

#35 Posted by Cancer the Conqueror (78 posts) - - Show Bio

G-Man, pink robots in the 70's are a stretch? In an era of the 70'a If Millar is serious about the "X-Men meets Terminator" description, why not actually make it the X-Men's version of Terminator? Just assuming Forge was never used in the original trilogy, he could be introduced as being manipulated by Boliviar Trask to patent the Sentinel design. Trask is funding Friends for Humanity, led by Cameron Hodge. Cable would visit to prevent the bleak future these two extremists inadvertently created. Going the Ultimate route, Cable is actually an old Wolverine, and his posse from the future could include Bishop, Rachel Summers and an adult Kitty Pride. Just like Looper, the DoFP film could be less about the time travel and more about the multitude of decisions and consequences that fill our lives; allowing both the Professor and Magneto to consider their new roles as leaders among mutantkind and the crucial choices that come with it.

#36 Posted by TheHeat (451 posts) - - Show Bio
@StMichalofWilson said:

@k4tzm4n said:

@Sleepbutnodream15 said:

Perfect Choice

I agree!
#37 Posted by notarandomguy (316 posts) - - Show Bio

@k4tzm4n said:

@Sleepbutnodream15 said:

I second that motion!!

#38 Posted by tensixteen (10 posts) - - Show Bio

i m so excited about this one. But i just hope they dont ruin it

#39 Posted by tensixteen (10 posts) - - Show Bio

@cmaprice: @notarandomguy: he looks too old

#40 Posted by Bitchgurl (131 posts) - - Show Bio

I have ALWAYS liked Nimrod, and would enjoy a movie version of him.

#41 Posted by TDK_1997 (14698 posts) - - Show Bio

@k4tzm4n said:

I'm psyched. Vaughn is a solid director and I have faith in Millar's input.
#42 Posted by RedheadedAtrocitus (6885 posts) - - Show Bio

Terminator meets X-Men is just as I thought of it when I first realized that they were going to adapt this story onto the silver screen. Full speed ahead I say and is it 2014 yet?

#43 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29499 posts) - - Show Bio

@k4tzm4n said:

@Sleepbutnodream15 said:

Holy sh*t.

YES.

#44 Edited by Illuminatus (9504 posts) - - Show Bio

Mark Millar shouldn't be allowed to consult on anything X-Men, considering his penchant for shocking the reader instead of providing them with a compelling story. Also, the notion that he is allowed anywhere near the Fantastic Four reboot is totally asinine.

In fact, how about Marvel/Disney just take the rights away from Fox. Their sheer ineptitude when it comes to adaptions is staggering and speaks entirely for itself. And, Disney is notorious for taking individuals/companies to court on ridiculous charges and winning handily. This would be a walk in the park.

#45 Posted by Illuminatus (9504 posts) - - Show Bio

And, I'm not normally one to judge a product before it is released (because, lets face it, this is just a packaged product being spewed out by the corporate powers), but I seriously doubt that this will be able to even adapt a tenth of the charm and genius that was so prominent throughout the series.

#46 Posted by LordRequiem (1310 posts) - - Show Bio

Don't put Cable in the film, for the simple reason that they'll most likely change his powers etc. I am more interested in who will be joining the roster than the enemy at this point seeing as First Class was simply brilliant. I'd like to see Cyclops simply because he did nothing in the other films. Most of all I'd love to see Sunspot!

#47 Posted by slimlim (264 posts) - - Show Bio

Days of Future Past = RETCON X-MEN 3 FROM EXISTENCE!!!

Please?

#48 Posted by Mr_Wayne69 (177 posts) - - Show Bio

Doesn't sound bad. Remember it's an adaption. Which means they're translating the story to film, not cloning it. Besides, this would be the perfect opportunity to clean up the continuity of the X-Men franchise Star Trek style. This could lead into the original X-Men and continue from there.

#49 Posted by One_Eye (783 posts) - - Show Bio

@slimlim said:

Days of Future Past = RETCON X-MEN 3 FROM EXISTENCE!!!

Please?

^This^

#50 Posted by Cancer the Conqueror (78 posts) - - Show Bio

@tensixteen: Cable is pretty old to begin with, man.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.