Follow

X-Men

Team » X-Men appears in 13417 issues.

The X-Men are a superhero team of mutants founded by Professor Charles Xavier. They are dedicated to helping fellow mutants and sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them.

Magic and aliens have ruined the X-Men

nerd217

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 14

#1  Edited By nerd217

I find that stories with magic and aliens really ruin the X-Men. It's almost as if they're just issue fillers between story ideas. Some of them, if done well, are okay but still, it doesn't really fit with the X-Men.

Daycrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Daycrawler

@nerd217 said:

I find that stories with magic and aliens really ruin the X-Men. It's almost as if they're just issue fillers between story ideas. Some of them, if done well, are okay but still, it doesn't really fit with the X-Men.

Aliens, and to a lesser extent magic, have been an intrinsic part of the X-Men practically since their inception. Some of the most classic X-Men stories have involved Aliens and cosmic shenanigans (Dark Phoenix, Claremont's Brood arc, Rise & Fall of the Shi'ar Empire, Whedon's Breakworld stuff, etc). Gotta disagree with you.

I do get a bit tired of the whole Limbo / Magik and Asgard / New Mutants stuff though.

Kallarkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3  Edited By Kallarkz

No

Avatar image for thegreyoutcastx
    TheGreyOutcastX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By TheGreyOutcastX

Bad writing and poor planning is what ruined X-Men. Not Magic or Aliens.

X35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 163

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By X35
    Onslaught
    Onslaught
    Avatar image for fuchsia_nightingale
    Fuchsia_Nightingale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

I like that Ord worldbreaker stuff.

It gave us Abigail Brand.

TheGreyOutcastX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By TheGreyOutcastX

@X35 said:

Onslaught
    Onslaught

Aliens and Magic always are better than Onslaught.

RogueOracle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By RogueOracle

They've been entwined in a lot of the X-Men's history. It will always be there.

WildStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By WildStyle

Anything relating to Vampires continues to destroy the X-Men

Magic and Aliens are fine. Some of the most classic X-Men stories involve aliens.

John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By John Valentine
    • Dark Phoenix Saga.
    • End of Greys.
    • Inferno.
    • Phalanx Covenant.
    • Unstoppable.
    • House of M.
    • Secret Wars.
    • Phoenix Endsong/Warsong.
    • Asgardian Wars.

.... are all main X-Men story arcs that are heavily involved with aliens/magic. This is not to mention smaller stories such as Rise and Fall of the Shi'ar Empire, X-Infernus, Starjammer stuff, Mojoverse stuff, Quest for magic etc that also run through the main/satelite X-Books. Nearly all of the X-Men have some form of significant connection to either magic or aliens. Most have both.

These two things are integral to the X-Men mythos and contribute to about half of X-history.

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#11  Edited By SC  Moderator

I agree, lets take characters whose gist is diversity and keep them contained =p  

Its a common enough argument so I can understand how many find taking the mutants into settings where we can't have a bigot senator shouting abuse at them can take away a certain edge to X-Men stories, but like I snarkily imply above, I really really enjoy the diversity in settings as well as with the characters and lets us see different sides of characters we might not otherwise see. As another poster mentions, is really about quality writing and art I feel. Good creative team can make any setting work. 

Nightcrawler23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Nightcrawler23

Aliens are key to x-men stories. It had always been a sci fi book. Magic isn't. They should kill Magik before she becomes a central character.

John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By John Valentine

@Nightcrawler23 said:

Aliens are key to x-men stories. It had always been a sci fi book. Magic isn't. They should kill Magik before she becomes a central character.

Magik is one of the best things about X-Books right now.

TheGreyOutcastX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By TheGreyOutcastX

@John Valentine said:

@Nightcrawler23 said:

Magik is one of the best things about X-Books right now.

Cosigned.

Nightcrawler23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Nightcrawler23

@TheGreyOutcastX: She doesn't even have a soul. It'd be so easy. Just get rid of her so that the x-men can maintain there sci fi roots.

TheGreyOutcastX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By TheGreyOutcastX

@Nightcrawler23 said:

@TheGreyOutcastX: She doesn't even have a soul. It'd be so easy. Just get rid of her so that the x-men can maintain there sci fi roots.

So your argument is because she has no soul, get rid of her? That's non-sense. Should we get rid of Piotr now cause he's now the Juggernaut which is a magically powered being? No. Should we remove Dani cause she is Hela's Valkyrie? You see the point I'm making? The X-Men have ties to both Magic and Space.

She is perfectly fine where she is and how she is.

John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By John Valentine

@TheGreyOutcastX said:

@Nightcrawler23 said:

So your argument is because she has no soul, get rid of her? That's non-sense. Should we get rid of Piotr now cause he's now the Juggernaut which is a magically powered being? No. Should we remove Dani cause she is Hela's Valkyrie? You see the point I'm making? The X-Men have ties to both Magic and Space.

Sci-fi roots? The X-Franchise has had a lot about magic for a long, long time!

TheGreyOutcastX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By TheGreyOutcastX

@John Valentine said:

@TheGreyOutcastX said:

@Nightcrawler23 said:

Besides how are the X-Men supposed to fight the Avengers without magic being involved? Magik is there to counter Strange which she did. Only wish I could have seen her kick his @ss.

Queen of Limbo and all around badass. God, now I want her back on New Mutants...
    Queen of Limbo and all around badass. God, now I want her back on New Mutants...
    John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By John Valentine

@TheGreyOutcastX said:

@John Valentine said:

@TheGreyOutcastX said:

@Nightcrawler23 said:

Besides how are the X-Men supposed to fight the Avengers without magic being involved? Magik is there to counter Strange which she did. Only wish I could have seen her kick his @ss.

New Mutants would be such a terrible place for her to be right now. Gillen is handling her extremely well in Uncanny X-Men. The New Mutants weren't painful to read in Journey into Mystery; it's DnA, they don't know how to write them. The current New Mutants series is just terrible.

I, too, wish I could have seen the fight between her and Strange.

TheGreyOutcastX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By TheGreyOutcastX

@John Valentine said:

@TheGreyOutcastX said:

@John Valentine said:

@TheGreyOutcastX said:

@Nightcrawler23 said:

New Mutants would be such a terrible place for her to be right now. Gillen is handling her extremely well in Uncanny X-Men. The New Mutants weren't painful to read in Journey into Mystery; it's DnA, they don't know how to write them. The current New Mutants series is just terrible.

I, too, wish I could have seen the fight between her and Strange.

I said it cause of nostalgia factor, but Gillen is definitely handling her better than she has been for a long time. New Mutants just need a new creative team.

I have a feeling we'll see it in an Uncanny issue. I mean we got the Rulk/Colossus fight there so makes sense that we get something like Magik/Strange too if only a little bit.

John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By John Valentine

@TheGreyOutcastX said:

I said it cause of nostalgia factor, but Gillen is definitely handling her better than she has been for a long time. New Mutants just need a new creative team.

I personally would rather an new book featuring the cast of New X-Men.

TheGreyOutcastX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By TheGreyOutcastX

@John Valentine said:

@TheGreyOutcastX said:

I get where you are coming from but not much hope of that as both Lowe and Alonso stated no plans for that.

John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By John Valentine

@TheGreyOutcastX said:

@John Valentine said:

@TheGreyOutcastX said:

I get where you are coming from but not much hope of that as both Lowe and Alonso stated no plans for that.

Hmmmmmm.

None of the teen X-Books since then have been anyway near as good. Second to this, there are a lot of under-utilized characters from this series who certainly have a strong fan base.

TheGreyOutcastX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By TheGreyOutcastX

@John Valentine said:

@TheGreyOutcastX said:

@John Valentine said:

@TheGreyOutcastX said:

Hmmmmmm.

None of the teen X-Books since then have been anyway near as good. Second to this, there are a lot of under-utilized characters from this series who certainly have a strong fan base.

That is the true. I think Marvel needs to reinvest time into teen heroes.

Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 79

User Lists: 3

#25  Edited By Rabbitearsblog
    @TheGreyOutcastX said:

Agreed!

Also, I really loved the stories where the X-Men deal with magic and aliens, since one of my all-time favorite stories, The Dark Phoenix Saga was revolved around aliens being in the story.
    joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#26  Edited By joshmightbe

The best X-men arc of all time heavily focused on aliens. Maybe it's just Marvel's current love of hack writers doing these stories causing the problems

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#27  Edited By joshmightbe

Magic has been an integral part of their history since they introduced the Juggernaut back in the early 60s

Nightcrawler23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Nightcrawler23

@TheGreyOutcastX: They should at least segregate the titles including magic and sci fi. Although it provides new settings to further develop characters, it seems inconsistent, and odd that the x-men can quickly transition from battling aliens on their shores to fighting a mystical being with a hammer, from mythlology.

Nightcrawler23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Nightcrawler23

@John Valentine:We all want a "new x-men" relaunch, but can't have one. Otherwise there wouldn't be enough spotlight for Hope, who i personally don't care about.

John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By John Valentine

@Nightcrawler23 said:

@TheGreyOutcastX: They should at least segregate the titles including magic and sci fi. Although it provides new settings to further develop characters, it seems inconsistent, and odd that the x-men can quickly transition from battling aliens on their shores to fighting a mystical being with a hammer, from mythlology.

How limiting. No, thanks.

By extension that's like saying the X-Men should refuse to fight an alien invasion if they've fought demons on a previous mission.

TheGreyOutcastX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By TheGreyOutcastX

@Nightcrawler23 said:

Yet it's ok that the Avengers can do that, but just not the X-Men? Makes no sense.

JonesDeini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 212

User Lists: 9

#32  Edited By JonesDeini

@TheGreyOutcastX said:

Sha-Pow!!!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.