Follow

X-Men

Team » X-Men appears in 13417 issues.

The X-Men are a superhero team of mutants founded by Professor Charles Xavier. They are dedicated to helping fellow mutants and sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them.

Latest Xmen post-Secret Wars rumor

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

OK so bleeding cool is reporting a rumor regarding the Xmen post-secret wars. Basically the rundown of it is that the X-Men will discover that the Inhuman Terrigenesis mists kills mutants. And with it circling the globe, the X-Men and mutantkind choose to leave the Earth, go onto space, and found a brand new world. Basically the Inhumans would be sort of replacing the Xmen on earth. I know, i know another conspiracy rumor right?!! In some ways this could be only a bit of a play of Alonso's words in an interview about the Xmen. But still everything doesnt seem to add up even though its a lazy concept and explanation, which Marvel does a lot of these days. But just for the sake of trying to pick this apart..... in Uncanny X-Men #16 were the X-women in Paris and in that Terrigen Mist cloud then? So,why didn't they die? During Inhumanity wouldn't there have been a bunch of mutants dead and wouldn't the Xmen know about it? Plus after Decimation i thought Quicksilver used Terrigen Mist or Crystals or whatever to repower some mutants. I dont recall it killing them, though it did have some bad effects. I guess maybe it could be explained that over time and prolonged exposure as in the case of a cloud engulfing the earth, there could be adverse effects for mutants. Either way its a bit hard to believe at this point but every now and then some of these rumors pan out.

Let me say that I dont really believe this rumor in its entirety. It would take a whole lot of retconning and ignoring of continuity to make this feasible. Though these days im not sure anyone cares about whether this stuff makes sense or not but really this would be a huge deviation from decades of development and history. of course there is all the constant reminders that Secret Wars is ending the Marvel universe as we know it and whole new universe will come from it. That is sort of scary and when you think about it could lend some credence to rumors such as this one. By the way will it be another multiverse created??? I guess it would be a whole new concept to have the Xmen and mutants seeking another home-world. Especially for those who are tired of or feel that the hated and feared concept is old and outdated and that the Xmen need a fresh new concept. But really I know i can be as guilty as anyone else when it comes to change especially when I dont feel like the whole original concept has been completely explored but whoa! what a huge shift, if this is true.

That said there is some potential for decent stories here. You could still have the ideals conflict. Some mutants would want to integrate peacefully following Xavier's dream while others might want to go the conquering and colonization route. This inhabitable planet could also be some of the focus of the different alien species seeking to enlarge their empire i.e Shiar, Kree etc. Counter-Earth being inhabited also could produce a hatred of mutants suddenly moving in. There has to be some reason for its inclusion after all these years in Remender's Uncanny Avengers right? Coupled with some rumors Ive heard about Remender doing x-books next, it make me kind of wonder about this.

Also since magic and spells are now used as the deus ex machina in the Marvel U... there could in some way still be the humans vs mutants struggle. All humans could just be recreated on a counter-earth basically as their earth counterparts by means of a spell or some sort of reality warping. Or if the Mist is fatal to mutants then it could also be fatal to a large portion of humans who would also leave earth to inhabit another planet. Or the Ultimate Universe's humans could land on this other planet and be the human element, since the Ultimate U doesnt have Inhumans (I dont think?) and the Terrigen mist thing never happened there.

I dont know really... its very hard to fathom or explain but its not like Marvel seems to take the time to do that stuff anymore anyway..... Sooooo.... i guess there could some semblance of truth to certain parts of this rumor but who knows.

I've always felt like the Xmen should be on earth dealing with the social "protecting a world that hates and fears them" thing. The Inhumans always belonged in space doing the cosmic stuff. But now it does seem like the Inhumans are supposed to be a replacement for the Xmen. If this lead to more focused writing and more contained stories without agenda pushing and constant line-wide crossovers, the Xmen not having to part of all that might actually be a good thing in someways.

So what are your thoughts on the rumor and its validity? Also what do you think about the concept?

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

I think it was pretty much confirmed that mutants and X-men are staying...

THUNDERBOLT30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm open to the idea of the 616 X-Men becoming the premiere team on a new earth. But I can see how this can also, to a degree, risk damaging the X-brand in the long term (but also has some potential for success in certain ways).

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

wouldn't be best for business. What would happen to someone like Namor ? Or scarlet witch and Quicksilver ? Not all mutants stay strictly within the confines of the x-men universe

Avatar image for raggedscarecrow
    RaggedScarecrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kgb725 said:

wouldn't be best for business. What would happen to someone like Namor ? Or scarlet witch and Quicksilver ? Not all mutants stay strictly within the confines of the x-men universe

Weren't they revealed to be just metahumans instead of mutants in the newest issue of Uncanny Avengers? If so, maybe they'd do the same thing for the others, assuming of course that the rumor is even true, which I doubt.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.