Follow

X-Men

Team » X-Men appears in 13417 issues.

The X-Men are a superhero team of mutants founded by Professor Charles Xavier. They are dedicated to helping fellow mutants and sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them.

Just how bitter is Marvel over losing the movie rights to X-men?

poisonfleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By poisonfleur

Seems like back in the day when Marvel was going bankrupt, X-men and Spiderman where their Pride and Joy! They even sold off the movie rights to X-men, Blade, Elektra, Hulk, Daredevil, Ghost Rider, Spiderman and Fantastic Four. (Comics people read)

Now that Disney bought Marvel and can flood them with all the money they could ever need, it seems the Avengers have robbed the X-men of their spotlight. Even to the point where the x-men have even been used as a device to make the Avengers look good.

Examples:

-X-men as minor characters in Marvel Events.

-Storm marries the Black Panther & joins the Avengers.

- Avengers vs X-men

-Return of the Phoenix and the Avengers decide to randomly make this their business. It even looks like Iron Fist is become a phoenix host..... Let's hope not. Not a sign of Jean anywhere.

-X-men First Class got amazing ratings and awards, but Marvel didn't release anything in support of the movie unlike previous x-films.

-Scarlet Witch depowering almost all the mutants on the planet.

-This is a personal one. Recently it seems some of the X-men have been downplayed and portrayed much differently compared to their 80s & 90s glorious counter parts. You all know which ones I am talking about.

Anyways, these are all just minor details apart of a bigger picture. Do you think Marvel is bitter they lost the X-men? Seems like charters such as Daredevil, Elektra, and the Fantastic Four have had their roles minimized a bit too in the same way.

The X-men are Marvel's Number 1 team. If memory serves correctly, nobody gave a flying crap about the Avengers until Marvel/Disney gave them Max Spotlight.

Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 79

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Rabbitearsblog

This is unusual to me also, especially with the way that the X-Men are being written as the bad guys lately, despite the fact that fans love the X-Men.  Also, it seems like half of the X-Men are for some reason joining the Avengers more frequently than years ago.

CATPANEXE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3  Edited By CATPANEXE

They get $$$ for anything produced with the license. In fact, the company is contractually obligated to them, and by them to make more X-Men based films in a specific amount of time, as well as bring in a certain amount of profit. So another company put's up the finance and takes whatever losses, while Marvel/Disney only profits either way. If they really wanted too considering their lawyers, they could easily have the rights back. So I'm going to guess they're not even close to bitter.

The above examples are not because of who produces the X-Men nor Avengers films. That's something made up by people on the internet. It doesn't even hold up from an imaginary marketing angle.

Personally I don't feel that the X-Men are any less treated then normal (look at how many books they have, look at how X-characters are primary attractions in Avengers books, ect). It's just that the Avengers family has more attention that it has previously. People somehow confuse that with more than the X-Men, which is bad math. These examples you provided are not examples where Marvel specifically diminished the X-men in order to make the Avengers look better (that sounds ridiculous and childish just typing it), nor of promotion for one film due to who produces it. These are imagined facts. Marvel gets the money either way for their properties.

Skaddix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4  Edited By Skaddix

Look they get more money if the movie is a success and they produce it on the flip side if it flops they take no damage.

But I do get the feeling that the X-men are not treated with the proper respect in Events and also towards the end of the 90s we listened to Editorial tell us the X-men Line was too large and had to be culled now its expanded far beyond that point with way too many redundant and pointless books.

AgeofHurricane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#5  Edited By AgeofHurricane
    @Rabbitearsblog said:
    This is unusual to me also, especially with the way that the X-Men are being written as the bad guys lately, despite the fact that fans love the X-Men.  Also, it seems like half of the X-Men are for some reason joining the Avengers more frequently than years ago.
    Yes, Beast (Who was an Avenger a LONG time ago.), Wolverine and Storm make up half of the X-Men.
    vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    @AgeofHurricane said:
    @Rabbitearsblog said:
    Yes, Beast (Who was an Avenger a LONG time ago.), Wolverine and Storm make up half of the X-Men.
    LOL.
    vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    @poisonfleur said:

-X-men as minor characters in Marvel Events.

The  X-men have their own events just like every best selling series in Marvel so i'm really not understanding what you're talking about.Of course the Avengers play more of a role in company wide events because they are Marvel's JLA, the largest premier superhero team in the Marvel Universe.They weren't always as popular as the  X-men but they were always more important to the Marvel Universe. Any event that effects the entire Marvel Universe has Avengers involved in some way,shape,or form.

@poisonfleur said:

-Storm marries the Black Panther & joins the Avengers.

They also joined the Fantastic Four. 

@poisonfleur said:

- Avengers vs X-men

Bringing together their two most popular teams... 

@poisonfleur said:

-Return of the Phoenix and the Avengers decide to randomly make this their business. It even looks like Iron Fist is become a phoenix host..... Let's hope not. Not a sign of Jean anywhere.

Jean isn't the only  Phoenix host their ever was. 

@poisonfleur said:

-X-men First Class got amazing ratings and awards, but Marvel didn't release anything in support of the movie unlike previous x-films.

This was the 4th   X-men film.The Avengers have one. The  X-men have always been far more pushed in the media than the Avengers.I would assume Marvel didn't think it needed as much of a push being an already extremely popular property.

@poisonfleur said:

-Scarlet Witch depowering almost all the mutants on the planet.

After Decimation there was still nearly 200 mutants left and IIRC the birth of Hope and Lights proves that there will be a new Generation of mutants not to mention the fact this barely effected the  X-men.None of the most popular members lost their powers.Most of the mutants that were depowered where characters people could care less about.Also Scarlet Witch destroyed the Avengers as well in "Avengers Disassembled" just before House of M.

@poisonfleur said:

-This is a personal one. Recently it seems some of the X-men have been downplayed and portrayed much differently compared to their 80s & 90s glorious counter parts. You all know which ones I am talking about.

Has everything to do with whom is writing the book and little to do with Marvel as a whole. When the Avengers get downplayed we don't blame the  X-men.  

@poisonfleur said:

Seems like charters such as Daredevil, Elektra, and the Fantastic Four have had their roles minimized a bit too in the same way.

Their roles didn't change.If anything they gained momentum.Daredevil had never had an event until 2011 and Dark Reign and Shadowland brought about the first miniseries that Elektra had in years.The Future Foundation\Fantastic Four were always behind the  X-men and Avengers as far as importance to the Marvel Universe.Their role hasn't been minimized at all. 

@poisonfleur said:

nobody gave a flying crap about the Avengers until Marvel/Disney gave them Max Spotlight.

Not true.The Avengers were gaining steadily in popularity long before Disney bought them.
    cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By cattlebattle
    @CATPANEXE said:

They get $$$ for anything produced with the license. In fact, the company is contractually obligated to them, and by them to make more X-Men based films in a specific amount of time, as well as bring in a certain amount of profit. So another company put's up the finance and takes whatever losses, while Marvel/Disney only profits either way. If they really wanted too considering their lawyers, they could easily have the rights back. So I'm going to guess they're not even close to bitter.

Thank you.....at least someone is knowledgeable, I can't tell you how many people always just say "eerr Fox owns the X-Men"........they own the movie rights, and make a pretty penny off the films, so I'm sure they are cool with it

research something people!!
    vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    @cattlebattle said:
    @CATPANEXE said:

Thank you.....at least someone is knowledgeable, I can't tell you how many people always just say "eerr Fox owns the X-Men"........they own the movie rights, and make a pretty penny off the films, so I'm sure they are cool with it  research something people!!
    Do people really need to do research though? Shouldn't this just be common sense?
    cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By cattlebattle
    @Vance Astro said:
    Do people really need to do research though? Shouldn't this just be common sense?
    You would think so...but, apparently not
    vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    @cattlebattle said:
    @Vance Astro said:
    LOL.
    ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#12  Edited By ReVamp

@cattlebattle said:

@Vance Astro said:

...I was going to add a comment, but it was potentially "offensive".

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    @ReVamp said:

@cattlebattle said:

@Vance Astro said:

You have to do it now.
    ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#14  Edited By ReVamp

@Vance Astro said:

@ReVamp said:

@cattlebattle said:

@Vance Astro said:

You have to do it now.

Not to get flagged and then get your ass to tell me off. It involved Rain though...

You're a smart guy, you know where it was going.

Manchine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Manchine

LOL, I always have considered Xmen more second rate heroes compared to Avengers.

Avatar image for deactivated-579156ff11b09
    deactivated-579156ff11b09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

- They are too busy still counting the $4 billion Disney paid for them even after farming out the rights to the X-Men movies

madrid_san

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By madrid_san

I feel the X-Men didn't play a huge role in Marvel events is because Marvel knows the X-Men can do well on their own and have their own events (Mesiah Complex, Nation X, Second Coming, Schism etc.) These events are push just about as much as the Marvel events are. To me, this would suggest Marvel has a lot of faith on the X-titles producing for them. I doubt if The Avengers and X-Men's roles were reversed, that Avengers would do as well as the X-Men and I suspect Marvel knows this. They aren't dumb a$$es.

I do understand the plight of the OP being an X-Men fan myself but I don't agree with all the statements he made.

Avatar image for phoenixofthetides
    PhoenixoftheTides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@CATPANEXE said:

The above examples are not because of who produces the X-Men nor Avengers films. That's something made up by people on the internet. It doesn't even hold up from an imaginary marketing angle.

Personally I don't feel that the X-Men are any less treated then normal (look at how many books they have, look at how X-characters are primary attractions in Avengers books, ect). It's just that the Avengers family has more attention that it has previously. People somehow confuse that with more than the X-Men, which is bad math. These examples you provided are not examples where Marvel specifically diminished the X-men in order to make the Avengers look better (that sounds ridiculous and childish just typing it), nor of promotion for one film due to who produces it. These are imagined facts. Marvel gets the money either way for their properties.

Agreed. From a business perspective, Marvel is making a lot more money off of the license than trying to create their own movies. I know this to a certain extent because I've dealt with the Marvel licensing department on a couple of projects. I wouldn't be surprised if Marvel still had pre-approval rights over how their characters are shown in any movies that are created off of the license, so they get to have movies created using their characters, potentially make money off of the movies distribution and further gain notoriety for their brand while not having to shell out their own money to do it. It's how licensing works.

HexThis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#19  Edited By HexThis

The Y2k and Plus generation of Marvel just doesn't get the X-men.

They're going for a whole bedspreads and tonka toys type appeal with their heroes now. They're only considered valuable as intellectual property if they appeal to 5 year olds within the space of 5 seconds. The X-men series I used to watch in the 90's and even X-men Evolution had a wide spectrum of characters, a whole landscape that was full of so many different possibilities but a genocide, one massive population-reducing hex, and a few massacres later they're a small group of paranoid nutzos actually following the orders of Scott and Wolvie like no one else ever had a thought otherwise. It's a shame too because they used to be socially relevant and now they're a reckless army of superpowered, watered down versions of what they once were.

Even the Avengers aren't quite what they were. Janet's dead, the Vision's dead, they took their sweet time bringing back Wanda and then her teammates tried to kill her for Dr. Doom's f-up...where's the heart in anything?

Look, kids watch the cartoons. But still...nobody's buying the comics. Marvel needs to play to the intellectual strength of the X-men and their other teams rather than trying these glorified "versus" titles and "events".

X-men First Class wasn't a blockbuster in the way Avengers will be but it brings some respect to the franchise, some sophistication. The X-men started the whole movie trend, all of the progress Marvel has made since would be hypothetical without it. The X-men held up Marvel for the 90's I'd say. Let's see that highlighted.

PS- Wolverine and the X-men (despite it's ridiculous title) puts the Avengers show to SHAME.

Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 79

User Lists: 3

#20  Edited By Rabbitearsblog
    @HexThis said:

The Y2k and Plus generation of Marvel just doesn't get the X-men.

They're going for a whole bedspreads and tonka toys type appeal with their heroes now. They're only considered valuable as intellectual property if they appeal to 5 year olds within the space of 5 seconds. The X-men series I used to watch in the 90's and even X-men Evolution had a wide spectrum of characters, a whole landscape that was full of so many different possibilities but a genocide, one massive population-reducing hex, and a few massacres later they're a small group of paranoid nutzos actually following the orders of Scott and Wolvie like no one else ever had a thought otherwise. It's a shame too because they used to be socially relevant and now they're a reckless army of superpowered, watered down versions of what they once were.

Even the Avengers aren't quite what they were. Janet's dead, the Vision's dead, they took their sweet time bringing back Wanda and then her teammates tried to kill her for Dr. Doom's f-up...where's the heart in anything?

Look, kids watch the cartoons. But still...nobody's buying the comics. Marvel needs to play to the intellectual strength of the X-men and their other teams rather than trying these glorified "versus" titles and "events".

X-men First Class wasn't a blockbuster in the way Avengers will be but it brings some respect to the franchise, some sophistication. The X-men started the whole movie trend, all of the progress Marvel has made since would be hypothetical without it. The X-men held up Marvel for the 90's I'd say. Let's see that highlighted.

PS- Wolverine and the X-men (despite it's ridiculous title) puts the Avengers show to SHAME.

I agree with all this, especially the part about how the other X-Men just suddenly let Cyclops and Wolverine talk them into splitting up the team. It just seems so unlike to let something like a split happen to them.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.