Follow

X-Men

Team » X-Men appears in 13416 issues.

The X-Men are a superhero team of mutants founded by Professor Charles Xavier. They are dedicated to helping fellow mutants and sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them.

Jumping head first

MrLetsPlay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By MrLetsPlay

Hey guys saw First Class a couple of days ago and just too let you know I have no clue about xmen history but I enjoyed it. So I am here because I am interested in starting to read the xmen comics I know they have a long and complicated history but I am willing to jump in and try to figure it out. But I have no idea where to start so can you guys just give me some clue as too where I should be starting if I need to know any really important history and yeah stuff like that thanks guys.

AgeofHurricane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#2  Edited By AgeofHurricane

The Uncanny X-Men #444.

Nuff said.

MrLetsPlay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By MrLetsPlay
    @AgeofHurricane: Lol thanks very much
    AgeofHurricane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#4  Edited By AgeofHurricane
    @MrLetsPlay: ^.^ (you really should check it out, IMO its the best place to start)
    MrLetsPlay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By MrLetsPlay
    @AgeofHurricane: Cool if you say so its the only reply I got at the moment I will check it out
    Timandm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#6  Edited By Timandm

What AgeofHurricane said...  Uncanny X-Men #444.   This was published in 2005.  I'd also recommend reading New X-Men volume 2 which begins about the same time...  It features

So, Uncanny X-Men (beginning with #444) and New X-Men Vol. 2....  After new x-men vol 2, add X-Men legacy

MrLetsPlay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By MrLetsPlay
    Well that is two people saying Uncanny xmen 444 looks like I will have to get it lol
    xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#8  Edited By xerox_kitty

I don't see why Uncanny X-Men #444 should be recommended more than any other issue. It's set in an era of Uncanny X-Men's story-telling that is widely forgotten. It was the return of Chris Claremont & Alan Davis, but otherwise it still featured a roster & events that are pretty unspecial when compared to the rest of the X-Men's history.

The problem with Uncanny X-Men is that it's an ongoing soap opera. There are few outstanding moments to recommend new readers to jump in. Especially as the drama is drawn out over years, and there are so many decades to look back upon. That's why Marvel recently created the .1 issues. Therefore a good catch up issue for the Uncanny X-Men would be #534.1. That'll help you understand the set up for the X-Men in recent years & now.

However, if you really want to check out events from the past, then your best bet isn't to buy individual issues. It's to hit the internet.

Search Amazon or eBay. Amazon will give you trade collections; you get the whole story in one condensed package that sits neatly on your bookshelf. eBay will give you 'lots', 'sets' and 'collections'; Search for 'X-Men' & then make sure you hit the link down the left-hand side that says "Collections & Lots"... et voila! You'll find that there is a lot to confuse you, but as long as you take the time to investigate each lot individually, you'll discover whether they are consecutive runs (sometimes they're just random, hotch-potch issues), and you can sometimes get a few years worth of stories in one go.

Don't be afraid of starting points or specific issues. Everyone gets into TV shows all the time without having watched the first episode. So just dive in there!

harleyquinn12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 21

#9  Edited By harleyquinn12

Agree with Kitty, jump in now.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.